• Published 18th Apr 2019
  • 426 Views, 3 Comments

Last Mare Standing - WriteWolf



A drinking competition between three unlikely candidates.

  • ...
 3
 426

Triple Threat Match

“Boy I tell ya, Ah’m gonna need a drink after that one.” Applejack said opening the door to Ponyville’s only tavern. Following behind her was Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Ember, and Tempest Shadow.

“Yeah no kidding. I thought they were going to keep that up all night” Tempest responded.

The mares had just come back from Spike’s birthday party. Months before he had begged Twilight to throw him a party so he could invite all his friends for a huge bash. He already had a list ready to go for when she did finally agree. His usual friends were all on the list: Applebloom, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, Ember, and Thorax, but what really surprised Twilight was Grubber. Spike told her that after the mess with the Storm King he and Grubber really got along. Twilight knew she would never be able to find him by herself so she sent a letter to Tempest asking for help. Tempest agreed ask Grubber to go and ended up on the list on invites herself. With the odd mix of creatures and personalities the birthday bash for Spike nearly caused the destruction of Twilight’s castle.

Twilight giggled, “Well at least they tired themselves out. I thought I was going to have to ask Starlight to help me restore the castle.”

“Not quite, but they did leave a bit of a mess for you to clean” Rarity chimed in.

Twilight shrugged, “It’s all worth it for my number one assistant.”

Applejack took a seat at the bar area and the others did the same. “Ah sure hope so Twi. If ah had to listen to that screamin’ fa one more dawg gone minute I swear my head was gone explode like popcorn at a family barbeque.”

Tempest gave Applejack a quick sideways glance for the countryisms before shrugging it off. “The screaming I can handle. The worst part for me was the crashing from their little makeshift stunts.”

Rainbow Dash chuckled giving a triumphant smile. “Hey it’s not fault they all wanted to be as awesome as me, and it’s not like I was the only one. Pinkie almost leveled the castle.”

“Don’t remind me.” Twilight let out a small sigh. “Well in any case I’m glad that you all came; especially you two Tempest and Ember.”

Ember waved off the notion. “It’s nothing. There wasn’t much going on in the Dragonlands anyway.”

Tempest nodded in agreement. “And I haven’t been back in Ponyville since I first left. I was just glad to see Grubber make some friends and enjoy himself.”

“And ah’m happy to see the bartender” Applejack cut in waving down a dark grey unicorn stallion with a snow white mane. He floated a quill and pad in his magical aura ready to take the girls’ orders.

He walked over to Applejack giving her a slight bow greeting her. “Looks like you all are enjoying your evening. What can I get you?”

Applejack slapped a few bits onto the counter. “Yer finest ale.”

Rarity rolled her eyes to which the bartender noticed. “And will you be having anything ma’am?”

Rarity put on a smug look quickly snapping her head to whip her hair back. “I would like a tall glass of red wine please, top shelf.”

He jotted down the order than looked to the rest of the group expectantly. No one said anything for a while and before the bartender put away his quill and pad Tempest spoke. “Ah what the hell, I’ll do a shot of whiskey; doesn’t matter which brand so surprise me.”

The stallion waited another moment and this time Ember was the one to speak up. “If you have any Fire Dragon Ale I’ll take a bottle.”

“Just a beer for me” Rainbow said.

“Anything for you princess?” Dandy asked.

“No I’m fine, thanks.” Twilight responded.

The bartender ripped off the piece of paper then closed the pad. “Got it; give me just a moment.” The bartender turned around picking up several glasses in his aura to serve the drinks.

“Why come if you’re not going to get anything?” Tempest asked Twilight.

“I just like spending time with my friends. Plus I can make sure nopony gets themselves into trouble.”

Tempest just shrugged and left it at that.”

Applejack snorted and shook head giving Rainbow Dash a playful smile. Rainbow immediately noticed and confronted her about it. “And what’s your problem?”

“Beer? That’s all you can stomach?” Applejack asked teasing and baiting Rainbow into a contest.

“That’s because I have to take Scootaloo home in the morning after their sleepover” Rainbow spat back.

“Excuses! Ah have to take Applebloom home myself and ya don’t see me backin down.”

Twilight butted into the developing argument. “Well Rainbow also has to help clean up the mess she made trying to show off her new stunts.” Twilight then turned her attention to Rainbow “and you’re not getting out of it by having a drinking contest with Applejack.”

Rainbow crossed her hooves over her chest and began to pout.

“You’re lucky Twilight saved you from being embarrassed” Applejack said proudly.

“I’m lucky she saved us from you ponies getting drunk after two drinks” Ember interjected.

Applejack scowled at the blue dragon. “Now hold on just minute. If you think you can out drink me ah say prove it.”

Ember smiled deviously “You’re on, loser gives the winner one hundred bits.”

Tempest rolled her eyes sighing. “I hope you don’t expect us to stay here and watch after you two. This is barely a real drinking contest you’re only doing ale.”

“I’ll take you on too!”
“Think you’re tough huh?”

Both Applejack and Ember snapped their focus onto the dark orchid unicorn answering respectively.

Ember scoffed at Tempest. “She’s just saying that to make herself look cool cause she knows she’d lose. Bet you she’s drunk after the fourth round.”

Applejack grinned at Tempest agreeing with Ember. “Ya darn tootin’, couldn’t out drink a lightweight griffon.”

Tempest started a deep low chuckle. “Well if you both want to lose I’ll be joining in, I could use the extra bits.”

The bartender turned back around placing each other their drinks in front of them with a coaster underneath.

“Guys please! We still have to clean up the castle and take everyone home in the morning” Twilight pleaded.

“Don’t worry Twi this won’t take long, and ah’ll still be able to take Applebloom home in the morning.” Applejack said with confidence.

Rarity, ignoring the brewing competition had already begun to sip on her wine. “Could you brutes save this for another time perhaps? Some of us are here simply to enjoy a drink while we’re out.”

Rainbow Dash sighed in frustration. “Take that drink and shove it! I want to see some action.”

Rarity gasped. “Rainbow Dash, you take back that uncouth, barbaric statement this instant.”

Rainbow stuck her out and blew a raspberry at Rarity. Rarity quickly responded by turning away from Rainbow and turning her nose up with a “hmph.”

Ignoring her Rainbow turned her attention to the three participants. “Since Twilight won’t let me join, I’ll be the judge.” Tempest, Applejack, and Ember all turned to Rainbow Dash intrigued. “This is how we’re going to do it. Each of you put one hundred bits in a bag that I’ll safeguard; winner takes all.”

“No!” Tempest plainly denied.

“What’s wrong ‘Little Miss Edgy’? Afraid you won’t be able to keep up?” Ember said poking at Tempest.

“You two lightweights are drinking ale while I’m having whiskey. If you want to have a real drinking competition you should have to match me” Tempest responded.

Applejack opened her mouth to say something but was cut off by Rainbow Dash flying to the middle of the table. “Then this is what we’ll do. After you all finish your first drink you take turns picking the drink of the round. We’ll start with Applejack, since her picks will be all warm ups, then Tempest, then Ember. Last mare standing wins.”

“Or Dragoness.” Ember added.

“Or Dragoness.” Rainbow repeated.

“Fine with me” Applejack took out her bit bag and slid one hundred bits underneath where Rainbow was hovering, “Ah need to start thinking of what ah’m gone do with all the extra bits.”

Quickly Ember and Tempest jumped to start trash talking one another and Twilight just shook her head from side to side moving over to sit right next Rarity. “I’m going to clean the entire castle by myself aren’t I?”

“Don't worry yourself Twilight. I'll help you tidy things up when we're done here, and Rainbow still has to clean up her mess.”

Rarity gave Twilight a comforting smile in which Twilight responded in kind. “Thanks Rarity, I didn't want to have to pick up the broken vases and other debris by myself.”

“Think nothing of it darling” Rarity said before taking another sip of her drink.

Twilight watched Rarity take small sips of the red colored drink and wondered how it tastes. “Umm Rarity?” Rarity turned to Twilight hearing her name. “Do you mind if I try that?”

Rarity’s eyes grew wide in shock. They have been out plenty of times and sure Twilight has tried a drink here or there but it always took some pressuring. Never before though had Twilight outright asked for one. “Oh of course darling, but are you sure? You don’t have to drink because everyone else is.”

“I know, but that doesn’t look any like the kind that Applejack and Rainbow usually get. I always found those to be disgusting. What you have doesn’t look too bad though.”

Without saying anything else Rarity used her left front hoof to slid the glass over careful not to tip it over. Twilight took the glass in her magic aura and took a small sip of the drink. She didn’t swallow and instead let the liquid sit on her taste buds savoring the flavor. After a short while she gulped down the small portion of wine, and to Rarity’s surprise, Twilight did it again.

“I think I like this one” Twilight said plainly.

This put a huge smile on Rarity’s face. “I should’ve known a mare as fine as yourself would appreciate something so elegant. Much better than the low class rubbish those peasants have taken a liking to.”

“Rarity!” Twilight exclaimed in a hushed shout.

“Oh but it is true darling. Now let’s refine that taste; wine tasting on me dear, get whatever you like.” Before Twilight could complain that she didn’t know where to start Rarity produced a drink menu provided by the tavern. Before they could dive in however Tempest, Applejack, and Ember’s trash talking had come to a peak now that they’ve all finished drinking their starters. Rarity turned away from the group’s chatter turning her nose up as she so often did. “Some simply have no class” Rarity said.

Twilight giggled and began to poke around in the menu doing her best to block out the loud noise the three girls were currently making, though it wasn’t easy since they were only separated by two empty cushions at the bar.

A little further down Rainbow Dash was smiling ear to ear at how the other three were all going on about how they felt about each other’s ability to hold alcohol. With all three done with the first drink they all ordered it was time to get to business, and as good as the trash talking was, Rainbow wanted to see them back it up. “Okay guys as the judge I say it’s time to start round one. Applejack, you pick first.”

Applejack stood proudly. “Let’s start this thang off with a classic: ‘Sweet Apple Acre’s Hard Cider.’”

“Cider!? HA! If that’s the best you can do you’ll be the first one out for sure” Ember stated.

“Oh we’re just getting started. And ah wouldn’t get so cocky if ah were you. For all that talk about dragons you’re nothin’ but skin and bones. This here drink is gonna go straight to yer head.”

As if on cue the bartender walked over to the querrling group ready to see what they all wanted. “I couldn’t help but overhear your...bickering, so I assume whatever order I get I’ll bring three of correct?”

“Ya darn straight” Applejack replied before any else had the chance to.

“And if I’m not mistaken you want SAA Hard Cider?”

Applejack nodded.

“Coming right up.” The bartender started to trot away to fetch three tinkers of the cider but he was stopped short by Rarity lightly tapping the bar counter. “Oh I’m sorry, do I need two more?”

Rarity brought a hoof up to her chest and reeled back. “No good sir. We will not be partaking in something so foolishly boorish. We would like two glasses of sangrias please.”

The bartender nodded before going to get the drinks. He placed the two sangrias in front of Rarity and Twilight then proceeding to give the other three girls the ciders.

Once the ciders were in place Tempest, Applejack, and Ember all froze. Rainbow’s eyes shifted between the three of them waiting for something to happen and quickly grew impatient. “What are you waiting for? Bottoms up!”

The three participants looked onto Rainbow; Ember being the first to speak. “So do we drink normally or do we chug?”

Rainbow face hoofed. “Chug! It’s a competition not a dinner date. Drink until somepony drops.”

Ember’s lips curved upwards into a smile. “Noticed she said somepony she already knows you two are done for.”

A loud metallic thunk was heard on the counter and everyone’s attention was drawn to Tempest since the sound had come from where she was sitting.”Weak” was all she said before pushing the now empty mug forward towards the bartender. “So do you want to fork over those bits now or wait I’ve drunk you both under the table.”

Ember and Applejack frowned at Tempest then both quickly downed their cider before slamming the tin mug down on the counter announcing that they were finished.

“Now that’s what I’m talking bout” Rainbow said enthusiastically. “I knew Applejack would pick a warm up.”

Applejack snorted “Just you wait, ah’ll be picking the last drink of the night too.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “I’ll believe it when I see it.” Rainbow then shifted her position in the air to turn towards Tempest. “Your turn.”

Tempest flashed a rather evil looking smirk then asked the bartender, who surprisingly was still there, for the next round. “Bring three Firebreath double shots.” Without a word he picked up the three empty pint glasses and marched towards the liquor selection.

Rainbow’s eyes grew with excitement after hearing what Tempest had order. “Now we can actually start; good pick Tempest.”


In no time flat the bartender returned with triplets of shot glasses. Ember picked up her glass and started to laugh almost manically. “This is it? You ponies really are soft. What is this even supposed to be? I was expecting so much more from the way you guys were talking.”

Tempest responded with a sinister grin. “The fact that you’ve never seen that before tells me that it’s going to knock you on your ass.”

A small clank was heard from Applejack. When Tempest and Ember turned to look they saw her putting down an empty shot glass. “Whole lot of talking, but ah don’t see no walking.”

Not wanting to be outdone by the country pony both Tempest and Ember gulped their shots in one go.

“Cinnamon!” Ember said describing the drink.

“That’s the point. It’s supposed to be a little hot.” Tempest informed.

This time Ember put on a devious smile. “You like hot? I’ll show you how to do it right. Bartender bring a round of Volcanic Death.”

“We don’t have any of that” the bartender said plainly.

“What!?” Ember said surprised and disappointed. “Then what’s the closest thing you have to it?”

“Dragonfire” he said in a monotone almost bored voice.

“Then three of those.”

“On It!” The bartender picked up the three shot glasses ready to retrieve the requested drinks.

“What in tarnation is Volcanic Death?” Applejack asked.

“I’ll make sure you find out one day.” Ember replied.

Before anyone could say anything else the bartender had already returned with a pint glass of Dragonfire.

“I’m not wasting any time this round lets do this.” With that Ember gulped down the beverage as quickly as she could so she could watch Applejack and Tempest try it out. The pair of ponies reacted just how Ember expected to. They were doing their best to fan off a burning sensation off their tongues and sucking in air rapidly in attempts to dull the pain.

“What under Luna’s moon was that!?” Tempest asked sharply. Applejack nodded showing that she too wanted an answer but was too busy dealing with a burning mouth to actually answer.

Ember began to laugh and pound her fist onto the counter while holding her stomach with her other arm. “And that was only Dragonfire. I wish this tavern had Volcanic Death; I would’ve really gotten a kick out of that.”

Finally extinguishing the flames in her mouth Applejack shot Ember a nasty glare. “What’s that stuff made of?”

“Blood oranges and Habaneros!”

“You made us drink pepper spice!?” Tempest asked with a slight look of horror on her face.

“It was my turn to pick.”

“This is to see who take the most alcohol, not who can stomach the most disgusting thing on the menu.” Tempest shot back.

“Ah agree, that doesn’t seem fair.” Applejack added. “We need a ruling from the judge. Rainbow!”

When the three focused in on Rainbow they found her on the ground kicking her legs into the air in laughter.

“This ain’t funny Rainbow, do something!”

Rainbow wiped a tear out of her eye with the back of her roof then turned to Ember. “Did it have any alcohol in it?”

Ember sighed. “Of course it did; this is a bar.”

Rainbow nodded with her eyes closed. “Then it’s fair game.”

Hearing this Applejack’s anger ignited. “SO THAT’S HOW YOU WANT TO PLAY!? Bartender! Moonshine!”

The bartender reeled back hearing Applejack’s request. “You know I can’t actually serve that here. It’s not even on the menu.”

Applejack slammed a hoof down on the counter. “Dangnabbit ah don’t wanna hear it. Ah just brought ya some yesterday. Ya asked me to make it for ya cause ya wanted to spice things up for a date with ya wife, and I know y’all ain’t drink it all ya ah gave ya two jugs. Ah’m not asking for a favor ah’m saying ya owe me one.”

The bartender mumbled something under his breath and went off to get the Moonshine, although reluctantly.

With the bartender having to go all the way into the back the girls were left with an array questions ringing through all of their minds.

“How do you know the bartender?”
“You know the bartender?”
“You make Moonshine?”

Ember, Tempest, and Rainbow all asked at once.

Applejack had on a strange smile on her face that none of the girls could quite tell the meaning of. “Ah met the bartender, Dandy Pants, a while ago when he came to the farm for some cider. Just so happen that granny was brewin up some Moonshine when he got there and asked for some. Granny gave him a little cup and he’s been coming by for some ever since. And to answer you Rainbow, yes I do know how to make Moonshine.”

No sooner had Applejack finished her small story did Dandy Pants return with three whiskey glasses full of clear liquid. He dropped it off rather quickly not wanting to be caught giving the Moonshine to the girls at the bar. “Keep this a secret.” Dandy asked. Rainbow, Applejack, Ember, and Tempest all nodded agreeing not to say anything about him having a drink not to be sold in common bars.

Applejack placed a hoof on her glass and used the other to salute the other two participants. “Well it’s been fun and all but ah think it’s high time to wrap this little game up; thanks for the bits.”

Applejack knocked back all of her drink then slammed the glass onto the counter shifting her position a bit showing clear signs the the alcohol was starting to take effect.

“You’re mixing dark and light?” Tempest asked in a surprised nearly panicked tone.

“Whash wrong little missh edgelord, ya shacred?” Applejack got out slurring her words a bit.

“Whoa! Dat one had shome bite to it.” Ember followed up placing the empty glass next to Applejack’s.

Tempest stared down at the Moonshine sighing. “What have I gotten myself into?” She asked herself under her breath before pouring the contents of the glass down her throat.

Once all three empty glasses were set on the counter Dandy came through picking up all the glasses and placed them into the sink.

“Ah need ta go to da little girlsh room.” Applejack stated before standing to all four hooves stumbling about disoriented. “Ah think ah’m startin’ ta get a little drunk.”

“HA! You’re not the only one.” Rainbow exclaimed pointing a hoof at Tempest then at Ember. Tempest’s eye were locked forward looking at nothing in particular. She had a smile on her face and even thought she had dark fur color a small pink blush could be seen around her cheeks. Ember was mumbling nonstop apparently having a very interesting conversation with herself. Applejack ignored the other two drunk ponies and set off to find the mare’s bathroom. Stumbling down the hall as she did so. “I guess now’s a good time for a break.”

Rainbow flew over to Rarity and Twilight. The first thing that caught her attention were the wine glasses each with varying levels of liquid left in them; some of them were near full but even more of them were completely empty. “Whoa Rarity!” The sound of Rainbow’s voice cause Rarity and Twilight to look at her. “Didn’t think you had that in you. You could’ve easily beat those three if you had joined.”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “I have no interests in your games Rainbow Dash, and besides, I didn’t drink all of these by myself. Twilight and I are having a little wine tasting. She’s found a couple she’s rather fond of.”

Rainbow drew back in shock “EGGHEAD!?” she shouted completely flabbergasted.

Rarity’s face twisted showing signs of pain and bring a hoof up to her ears. “Yes, Twilight. And if I may ask, can you not yell in my ears?”

Rainbow rubbed a hoof on the back of her withers displaying a shy smile. “Heh, sorry.” Rainbow moved forward through the air slightly to come face to face with Twilight. “So what do you like?”

Twilight took a moment to think. “Well out of everything we’ve tried so far I have to say that red wine’s my favorite. We haven’t sampled all the items yet so if I find something else I enjoy I’ll let you know. *hic* Excuse me.”

“Manners Twilight” Rarity giggled. “I think somepony has a little buzz.”

Twilight snickered in kind. “I believe you’re right, but some of these have been really tasty I still want to a try a couple more.”

“Okay darling, but I’ll stop you before you go too far.”

Twilight nodded her response.

Rainbow seen an orange pony stumbling back down the hall and knew that it was time to continue with the drinking competition they had started. Rainbow flew back to the section of the bar that Ember and Tempest were still occupying and walked into the middle of an odd conversation between the two.

“Do griffons even need quills? Couldn’t dey just pluck out a feather, dip its in ink, and use that to write?” Ember asked

“Thatsh not how dat works, dat’s not how any of thish works.” Tempest replied sloppily forming the words.

“WELL IT SHOULD! Why are griffons so broke? If they sold their feathers for quills they could rebuild Griffonstone. WHERE DO QUILLS COME FROM ANYWAY?”

“I don’t KNNOOOOOWWWWW!”

Rainbow watched the two interact with mirth dancing across her face. This is was the best part of any drinking competition: everyone being hammered. To make things even better Applejack finally made her way over to the counter; surely this will only add to the experience.

“What’re y’all talkin bout?” Applejack asked.

“GRIFFONS!” Ember shouted.

“No we were talkin about quills.” Tempest answered back.

“It doeshn’t matter. Who’sh turn is it?” Applejack cut in.

The trio looked to Rainbow for answer much to her surprise. With how they were acting she didn’t think they’d even be able to finish but they were determined to find out who had toughest liver between them. Rainbow’s smile grew knowing that things could only get better from here. “It’s Tempest’s turn” she told them.

“Fine! I jusht wanna Manehattan!” Tempest aimed the comment at no one but still the bartender obliged and mixed several liquors together in a tall glass then split it into thirds.

“Moonshine then a Manehattan? This isn’t going to last much longer” Dandy Pants stated as he gave each of the participants their drinks.

Applejack sighed heavily when the drink was presented though she still took downed the drink straight away. Tempest wasn’t far behind her only her allowed the liquid to sit for a moment savoring the taste before swallowing. Ember however, studied the drink. Holding the glass in her clawed digits she spun it around and held it up to the light as if check if they drink was contaminated.

“It’sh very dark!” Ember concluded.

“Good detective work Sherlock Hooves” Applejack replied.

“Waz dat sacasm?” Ember asked before finally gulping down the alcohol. “Dat’sh not honest. I thought you were honesty.”

“AH AM!”

“Then what ish she?” Ember pointed to Rainbow Dash.

“Loyalty!” Applejack responded.

“And her?” Ember pointed in the general direction of Twilight and Rarity.

“Generoshity and magic!” Applejack said not knowing which of the two ponies Ember was asking about.

“How many of you are dere?”

“Sixpht!”

“I thought dere were seven.”

“No! How did ya figure dat?”

“Then what about Twilight?” Ember asked confusing Applejack in the process.

“MAGIIIIIIIIIIIC!” Applejack answered getting frustrated by Ember’s ignorance.

“No not Princess Twilight, discount Twilight! Da one without wings and better hair.”

“Ya mean Starlight?”

“Yeah, what doesh she do?”

“Nothin, she’sh useless!”

Rainbow, who had been watching this entire scene play out, was on the floor laughing with tears in her eyes banging a hoof on the tiles. Once Rainbow’s hysterical laughter subsided the sound of snoring could be heard coming from the counter. When Rainbow looked over she was met with the sight of Tempest Shadow curled up on her cushion fast asleep.

“One down one to go” Rainbow said. “Who’s going to be the next one to keel over?”

“Easiesht. Three hundred. Bits ever!” Ember stammered out nearly toppling over while speaking. “Bartender!” As soon as Dandy heard the call he made his way to group. “Bring a round of Dragon Isle Iced Tea.”

Dandy looked at the pair of drunken ponies and the sleeping form of the third. “Two knockouts coming right up.” The bartender turned around mixing all kinds of drinks together giving it a good shake then split it in half before he presented the two beverages to Applejack and Ember.

The pony and the dragoness looked at the tall glasses for a long moment before locking eyes with each other. Silence fell over them as they glared at each other. Rainbow eyes moved back and forth from the two of them seeing who was going to make a move first.

Ember leaned in closer to the drink not picking it but opening her mouth as if to take a sip while the glass was still on the table. Instead of getting a taste Ember begun to speak. “Why are pony names so similar?”

Ember’s question caught drunk Applejack off guard and it took her awhile to process what Ember had just said. “What?”

“Pony namesh: Starlight, Twilight, Moonlight, Spotlight, they all sound the same. Then you look exactly the same too; how do you tell each other apart?”

“Two of those names aren’t even real ponies. You’re making things up.”

This somehow upset Ember and she pounded her fist against the counter. “Moonlight and Twilight look exactly the same; even their hair is exactly the same. Explain that one!”

Applejack’s face twisted in confusion as well as Rainbow’s who was watching.

“THERE IS NO MOONLIGHT! Applejack screamed at the top of her lungs.”

Rainbow chuckled watching the two drunken creatures go back and forth. “I think she means Moondancer. How do you even know her?”

Ember finally grabbed her drink and chugged about a quarter of it prompting Applejack to do the same. “I don’t! Twilight showed me a picture of them two together once. I couldn’t tell who was who.”

“Dat’s because you dragons are all stupid!” Applejack angrily spat back.

“Oh yeah, well you ponies are all sensitive wimps.” Ember snarled at Applejack.

“Them’s fightin words!”

“BRING IT ON!”

Rainbow Dash flew between the two before things could escalate any further. “Stop you’re going to get us all thrown out. If you want to see who’s better then keep drinking until one of you is under the table.”

Ember and Applejack starred at each other for a long while until Applejack nodded at Ember in agreement to Rainbow’s statement. Ember nodded back and they both settled and returned their focus on their drinks. They then locked eyes once again and stayed like that is if daring the other to take the first sip.

Ember was the first to grab her drink slowly bringing it up to her lips. Applejack replicated Ember’s movement grabbing the glass with her hoof bringing the drink close to her muzzle without taking a sip. During the action the two never took their eyes of each other as if under a spell. Then, without warning, they both lifted their respective glass and drunk until there was nothing left.

They slammed the glasses onto the counter simultaneously then went back to ensaring each other in their gazes once more. The pair stayed locked into a staring contest with, Rainbow watching them both intently, until they both slowly lowered their heads and unceremoniously flopped on the floor. Shortly after the duo started to snore loudly announcing that they both were finished for the night.

“How lame” Rainbow said disappointed at the anticlimactic finish. Rainbow flew over to Twilight and Rarity, leaving the sleeping trio behind, to see what they were up to the entire time. “Whoa!” Rainbow said seeing the pair with bright red faces and giggling; clear signs that they’re tipsy. Rainbow’s eyes widened seeing a multitude empty and half full glasses of wine.

“Whatever is the matter darling?” Rarity asked Rainbow with a barely noticeable slur in her words.

Rainbow pointed at the the glasses with a hoof. “You two drunk all of those?”

Twilight chuckled bring a hoof up to her muzzle. “Yeah we may have outdone ourselves a bit. I only meant to taste a few but they were so good.” Twilight begun to stand up but halfway through she lost her balance and staggered of to her right. “Okay we definitely went overboard.”

Rarity got up to help Twilight compose herself. “Careful dear., you’ve had a bit too much to drink. Since your castle is so far you can stay with me for the night.”

Rainbow cut into the conversation. “Wait, what about Twilight’s castle? We were supposed to clean it up after Spike’s birthday party.”

“You’ll just have to pull double duty Rainbow Dash. I’m sure you’re more than capable.” Rarity put a sarcastic emphasis on her statement as if daring Rainbow to try.

Rainbow, not falling for it this time, rolled her eyes. “Yeah whatever I’ll take care of it. Just make sure our little drunky over here doesn’t tip over.”

“Sorry” Twilight sheepishly said.

“Don’t worry about Rainbow dear, let’s just get you back to my place so you can rest.” Rarity chimed.

Rainbow let out a soft giggle. “Well the other three are already resting.”

At that moment Twilight and Rarity snapped their attention to the sleeping figures of Applejack, Tempest, and Ember.

Rarity gasped at the sight. “Such indecency! Twilight dear, as a proper lady, and especially a princess, you must never allow yourself to display this kind of behavior; promise me.”

“I promise Rarity.” Twilight paused for a second. “But how are they going to get home?”

“I’ve already requested a chariot. They’ll be able to rest at the inn for the night.” All three of the ponies turned to Dandy Pants who had just spoken about the sleeping guest. He was casually cleaning the glasses and mugs the girls ran through not bothering to look up at any of them. “What? I wasn’t going to let them just lie here all night, it’s bad for business.”

Rainbow shrugged, “guess that’s taken care of.” She then dropped the bag of bits she’s been holding to all night.

Twilight tilted her head seeing the back then her eyes grew slightly as it all came back to her. “Rainbow, I thought you were going to give that to the winner.”

“Oh yeah!” Rainbow threw the bag of bits over to Twilight. “You win!”

Twilight’s face contorted into a frown. “I can’t take that. The game was between those three.”

“And they all lost! So either I give them all their bits back or I give it to the last mare standing like I said earlier. The only mares standing is you and Rarity and since it's your first time drinking I’m giving it to you.” Rainbow stated with a proud smile on her face.

“But--”

“But they made me the judge. And as the judge it’s my call so I say you win.”

Twilight turned to Rarity with an unsure look on her face. “Well what do you think?”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “I do believe it best if you take the bits if only because no one else in the condition to do so. We’ll keep them for now and maybe give the bits back in the morning once you’re rested.”

“What was that?” Twilight asked confused.

“Nothing darling! Let’s just get you back to my place and don’t worry about the castle. Rainbow will make sure everything is taken care of. I’m sure she’ll get get Starlight and Pinkie to help out so you just relax for the evening.”

The three ponies started to head out of the tavern. Twilight was stumbling slightly, Rarity helping Twilight balance while holding the bit bag in her magical grip, while Rainbow hovered above them.

“It’s a good thing I wasn’t able to go against them They’re all lightweights. None of them could hold their alcohol like I can.” Rainbow boasted.

Rarity exhaled and rolled her eyes. “Rainbow please shut up.”

Comments ( 2 )

“Ya mean Starlight?”

“Yeah, what doesh she do?”

“Nothin, she’sh useless!”

She is better in magic than twi imo

Nice Story tho

If you wanna get technical, Ember would be the true victorious. If fire is within her belly, it would have burned up quickly, leaving only active ingredients. Not to mention that if they swim and drink lava, then no alcohol would match the intensity of lava.
Cause science!!

Login or register to comment