• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 4,732 Views, 331 Comments

Learning To Live Again - Speedy Quill



A changeling, abandoned to die after the Royal Wedding, is shown that there's life beyond the hive. Laughter, villains, and committee meetings ensue.

  • ...
11
 331
 4,732

A New Suit

The day came and I could barely hold still. Rarity was in town! I attended meetings as usual, but couldn’t help looking at the clock every few minutes. Celestia teased me for the first bit, but teasing turned to annoyance after the first couple hours.

“The clock isn’t going to move any faster Shade.”

I sighed turning back around in my seat.

“I know, I know.”

“Honestly! I know you’re anxious, but this is a bit much. I dare say you’re worse than Twilight when the library opened its last wing.”

I scowled at her.

“Well you can’t blame me. I’m still not sure your idea is going to work.”

“It will work. You just have to trust me.”

“You want me to lie.”

“Nothing you haven’t done before. I seem to remember you telling me that you named Rarity our new holiday decorator?”

“That was just to get somepony off her back. This is different.”

“Fine. Don’t trust my idea. Do something else. I’m sure you can find something just as special on your own.”

“I probably could! It would save me the embarrassment too.”

Celestia rolled her eyes.

“It’s a date Shade. From what I’ve heard, embarrassment is built into most of them.”

I mumbled under my breath about her dating experience and she punched me in the shoulder. I began rubbing it immediately.

“Okay, okay. But if it blows up in my face, you get to remember for the rest of time that it was your idea.”

——————————

Four o’clock finally came and I raced out of the castle. I felt like I was flying through the streets of Canterlot. I made my way towards Diamond Street, my heart beating faster with every stride.

I slowed down as I came up to Rarity’s. She was in the window, adjusting a mannequin. I waved to get her attention and she looked up from her work. Her smile could have lit up the whole street. I entered the boutique and she jumped down from the window.

“You’re awfully punctual!”

“I seem to remember a certain pony telling me she preferred punctuality?”

“Very true.”

I stepped up and pulled her into my hooves, planting a kiss before she could say anything else. I actually felt her body sink into me a little. A sigh escaped her as I broke our lips apart.

“Goodness! I didn’t mean to interrupt anything. I can leave if you want Rarity.”

We both turned to see Sassy averting her gaze. I smiled.

“Don’t worry Sassy. I’m actually taking her away from here for the evening.”

Rarity quickly pushed away from me.

“Now just a moment! You said we needed to look our best, yes?”

I nodded.

“Yeah. There’s a dress code where we’re going.”

“Then you have to leave so I can get ready!”

“Wait. Really?”

She began to push me towards the door.

“And I’m sure you need to get ready as well. I can’t wait to see you in a suit! I can only imagine how handsome you’ll be. What time is our reservation?”

“Um...6:30?”

“Oh my! That’s cutting it a little short!”

“It’s over two hours!”

“Exactly! Sassy Saddles, I think I’ll need your help.”

Rarity got me out the door and slammed it behind me. Was putting on a dress really going to take that long? I mean, clothes didn’t seem that complicated. I’m sure it wouldn’t take long for me to put on...

“Tartarus! How could I have forgotten the suit?!”

I began to pace back and forth, pondering my dilemma. Where could I get a suit on such short notice?

I froze and looked up and down Diamond Street.

“Right. I’m in the heart of the fashion district. I’d better find somepony fast.”

I hurried along the shops, looking in the windows. Most of these places seemed too fancy. I just needed a suit! I was getting close to the end of Diamond Street when I came across a mallet shop set between two large boutiques. There was a suit in the window!

“Perfect!”

I raced in, a little bell on the door ringing as I entered the shop. A voice called from the back.

“Just a moment!”

I was dancing in place, my anxiety building by the second. After what seemed like an eternity, a unicorn appeared from the back.

“How can I help-“

His eyes found me. I froze.

“-you?”

The unicorn slowed his pace.

“Forgive my bluntness but...what do you want?”

My anxiety was contributing to my now-growing headache. I wanted to leave. No! I had to see this through!

“I...need a...suit.”

“I figured as much. I don’t mean to be blunt, but I’m not sure my suits will be within your...range?”

Range? Oh...

“That shouldn’t be a problem. I’m on the Royal Staff.”

He looked me up and down for a moment. I could tell he wasn’t entirely convinced. What could I do? I needed his help!

Wait! If words didn’t convince him, then there was only one thing that could. But I didn’t have my saddlebag or bitpouch with me... Maybe... No it wouldn’t work. I’d never done that much distance. But still...

I closed my eyes and concentrated. I felt my horn begin to tingle as the spell began. I focused on my target, hoping that I wasn’t about to kill myself.

The unicorn sounded annoyed now.

“Look, I’m very busy. If this is some sort of joke I’m not amused at all. Would you please-“

‘POP!’

I opened my eyes to find my bitpouch floating in front of me. It had worked! I allowed the pouch to float to the floor and looked at the unicorn.

“I need a suit as fast as possible. I’ve got a date that I can’t miss. How much will it cost me?”

The unicorn looked from me to the pouch and back again.

“Well...how fast exactly?”

“Less than two hours.”

“Hmm...I suppose it’s doable. Step over in front of the mirrors.”

I walked over to a set of mirrors on one wall. The unicorn pulled out a measuring tape and began wrapping it around different parts of me. I flinched every time the tape touched me.

“Hold still! I won’t get proper measurements otherwise.”

“Sorry. It’s my first time getting something like this.”

The unicorn stood up straight.

“I take it you’re not from Canterlot?”

“Obviously.”

He sighed.

“And you’re just barely buying a suit for...a date?”

“Yeah. I know. I’m stupid.”

“Well at least you realize that much.”

He continued taking measurements.

“Your body size isn’t too far off from some slimmer stallions. I think I might have something that could work in back. It will just need some alterations. That should speed this process up.”

He stepped back as his horn lit up. Something came out of the back room and settled in the center of the shop. It was a mannequin with a suit. I watched as the unicorn began making the adjustments. He didn’t look at me once as he worked, so I was surprised when he addressed me.

“How did you do that earlier?”

“What?”

“The bits. You made them appear like magic.”

“Well it was magic.”

I parted my mane and motioned to my stump of a horn. The unicorn looked shocked for a second before returning to his work.

“I’ve never seen a horn like yours before. Has it always been that short?”

“Nah. I didn’t like the length. So I made it shorter.”

He paused again. But this time he began laughing.

“Oh! That’s a good one. Made it shorter!”

What was so funny about that?

“Most of your measurements, like I said, line up with slimmer stallions, but you definitely have a few abnormal ones as well. They’re almost...non-pony.”

Oh boy..

“I was...sick a lot when I was little. Right from birth actually. I guess you could say I’m a bit abnormal overall.”

“Ah. That explains it. I don’t mean to be rude of course!”

That was close.

“Not at all. I’ve grown accustomed to it.”

The unicorn stood back from the suit.

“I think we’re almost there. It just needs a bit of color.”

He looked at me, looking over every part. His eyes locked with mine and he smiled.

“A little blue to compliment your eyes.”

I smiled.

“Sounds perfect.”

He produced a bow tie and put it around the mannequin’s neck. He nodded in approval and removed the suit from the dummy.

“Only move when I tell you.”

I followed his instructions as he helped slip the suit on. I had put clothes on before when helping Rarity, but this was one of the first items of clothing I could really call my own. I didn’t want to ruin it. Especially before tonight.

The unicorn finished and grabbed the bow tie. He tied it around my neck and smiled.

“There! You’re ready for your date!”

I looked in the mirrors, my eyes widening.

“Is that really me?”

“Of course! My suits always make the stallions second guess themselves. It really makes you look like an entirely different pony!”

“I hope not. I want her to recognize me.”

He laughed again.

“You have quite the sense of humor!”

I smiled, still admiring my reflection.

“Thank you...I’m so sorry. I never got your name.”

“Bobby Pin at your service Mr...”

I knew I didn’t want to give my real name, so I’d been giving it some thought what I would say to ponies for the foreseeable future. And I felt I’d come up with a good alias.

“Shadow Hoof.”

“Mr. Shadow Hoof! I’m glad I could help you.”

I grabbed my bitpouch and dumped out a generous pile. Bobby Pin’s eyes nearly popped out of his head.

“That’s a bit much! Don’t tell me you’re new to money as well.”

“Sorry. I don’t buy things for myself very often. A lot gets provided to the Staff.”

He looked at me as I returned some of the bits to the pouch.

“So you’re really on the Royal Staff?”

The other part of my alias. Not too far from the truth, but enough to satisfy myself.

“I’m one of the Right Hoof’s assistants.”

I feigned shock.

“Horsefeathers! I shouldn’t have said that.”

Bobby Pin seemed intrigued by my statement.

“Really? I’ve heard some interesting things about the Right Hoof. Perhaps you could confirm a few things?”

“I don’t know if I should...”

“Just one then?”

“Well...I guess it wouldn’t hurt... Just between us?”

“Of course!”

That was a lie if I’d ever heard one.

Bobby Pin stepped closer.

“I heard the Right Hoof is actually a shadow creature created by Nightmare Moon back in the day. And now he’s come to serve the Sisters since Luna is still his master.”

I began laughing.

“I’ve not heard that one before!”

Bobby Pin waited in anticipation as I calmed down.

“No. He’s not a shadow creature. He’s very much like anypony. Princess Celestia and Luna employ him based on Princess Twilight’s recommendation.”

I leaned in a bit.

“But that’s what I was told by others. I personally think they keep him close because he’s an enemy spy that defected to our side.”

A risk? Yes. But a thrilling one! And if I mixed in some truth with all these rumors, nopony would ever know what to believe. Bobby Pin had saucers for eyes at this point.

“Really?”

“Well...that’s just my own theory. I really don’t know for sure.”

He was beaming from ear to ear.

“How exciting! I wonder if we’ll ever know the whole story behind that pony.”

“Maybe one day. Thank you for the suit again. It looks amazing!”

“Of course! I hope your date goes well. And if you or any of the other Staff members need suits, make sure to let them know where you got the best service!”

I nodded and exited the shop. I was ready for my date now! I sauntered down Diamond Street towards Rarity's boutique, feeling like a million bits in my new suit.