• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 4,717 Views, 331 Comments

Learning To Live Again - Speedy Quill



A changeling, abandoned to die after the Royal Wedding, is shown that there's life beyond the hive. Laughter, villains, and committee meetings ensue.

  • ...
11
 331
 4,717

Surprises

I was on a train to Ponyville before long. Celestia had introduced some concepts to me that I was still mulling over. There was something in me that wanted to lash out, but Celestia was right. I needed to learn how to let go of the negative and put that energy to better use.

The passing scenery served as a good distraction from my current line of thinking. I needed to step back and relax for a bit. The mountains and trees rolled by as the train pressed on towards home. I couldn’t wait to see everypony.

The train ride seemed to last no time at all. It wasn’t long before I could see Ponyville rising from the horizon. Twilight’s castle was by far the tallest building in town now. The town grew faster as the train began to slow down. A few more minutes and we were pulling into the station. I jumped from my seat and moved towards the exit.

I hopped onto the platform as the train came to a full stop.

“SURPRISE!!”

I fell backwards on to my rump. Where had Pinkie appeared from?! I looked at the pink pony in shock for a moment. As my eyes took in the scene, my smile began to appear. Everypony was here!

“You didn’t have to come to meet me girls.”

Rainbow Dash flew behind me and lifted me back to a standing position.

“As if we wouldn’t welcome back our favorite changeling!”

Twilight walked up to me and pulled me into a hug.

“We’re so happy that you’re back. It’s been too long.”

I returned the hug and chuckled.

“It’s been what? A week?”

“You weren’t here when we returned darling. We were worried.”

I glanced over at Rarity as Twilight backed away.

“Worried about me?”

Fluttershy stepped forward.

“Of course! I thought you’d gotten lost again!”

“It was just a trip to Canterlot. Honestly guys! I’m fine!”

Applejack had a smirk on her face.

“I told them you wouldn’ta wandered off. Yer smarter than that.”

The girls led the way off the platform and we walked to Twilight’s castle. Pinkie Pie filled me in, in a very rushed manner, on their adventure from that strange map. It sounded like they’d had some trouble, but nothing out of their control. Though it did worry me slightly that the culprit from their excursion had been able to get away. Would that pony turn up again?

Pinkie had gotten so into the story that she had almost bounced right onto my back. As I swerved to avoid the unnecessary pain, I bumped flanks with Rarity. She gasped in surprise as she began to tip over. I caught her by the hoof and pulled her back up.

“Sorry! Pinkie’s being a little bit more hyper than normal.”

Rarity checked her mane, making sure it was still in place and sighed.

“It’s fine Shade. Accidents happen.”

Our eyes locked for a moment. And then I realized I was still holding her hoof. I let it go and felt my face heat up a little. I hoped my body was dark enough to hide any blushing. I looked to Rarity to apologize, only to discover a slight pink color to her own cheeks. I didn’t know what to do.

“I uh...we...better catch up with the others.”

“Yes... Yes! They’re almost to the doors. We’d better hurry.”

We rushed to join the others. It seemed none of them had noticed that we’d fallen behind. Or at least I had thought. I saw Twilight glance at me from the corner of her eye, a knowing twinkle hinting at the fact that she’d seen Rarity and I having a moment. I swallowed hard and turned away. Curse my cheeks! Was this blushing going to happen regularly now?!

I followed behind everypony, hoping that my face would cool off by the time we settled in the castle. The girls lead the way to the throne room, taking their respective seats when they entered. I sat down at the edge of the table, feeling a little out of place. Twilight was the last to sit, looking to me as she settled.

“So what did Celestia want to talk about?”

“Oh..just wanted to make sure I wasn’t plotting anything.”

“I told her how much progress you’ve made. I hope that helped.”

“It did and thank you. She’s very cautious about me. But at the same time...I think she was confused.”

Fluttershy chimed in.

“Confused? Princess Celestia?”

I nodded.

“She doesn’t know what to make of me. Not quite yet. I think she’s worried that I might still be a threat. I did what I could to quell those fears, but it’ll probably take some time for her to trust me.”

Twilight sat forward.

“I’m sure Celestia wants nothing more than to trust you, but trust is earned. I’m sure you’ll have plenty of opportunity to show her that you’re worthy of hers.”

I smiled.

“Thanks Twilight. I hope you’re right.”

“Did you talk about anything else?”

“Well... She did invite me to stay in Canterlot longer.”

Twilight looked shocked. I looked around at the others, each with a different level of surprise in their eyes. I shook my head.

“Obviously I said ‘no’ since I’m back in Ponyville. I missed you guys too much.”

“Why would you say ‘no’?”

I looked at Rarity. Her gaze pierced me in a way that made me shiver.

“Well...like I said. I wanted to come home. I don’t belong in Canterlot.”

“Did Celestia ask you to stay in the castle?”

“Uh..yeah. She tried to bribe me with the library. All those books...I can just imagine what knowledge I could discover.”

Twilight cleared her throat.

“I don’t understand. Why not take Celestia up on her offer. I know you consider this your new home, and that we’re here, but there must be another reason you wouldn’t stay.”

I thought long and hard about that.

“I don’t know. It just...didn’t seem like the right move for now.”

Twilight sighed and, thankfully, dropped the subject.

The girls began taking amongst themselves. My eyes found Spike as he was exiting the room.

“Where are you running off to?”

He turned to me and smiled.

“Getting dinner together. Wanna help”

That sounded better than just sitting here catching bits of conversation. I stood up and followed the dragon to the kitchen. The aroma of food was already wafting into the hall. Spike must have started earlier.

“I didn’t know you were a cook!”

“I know a few recipes. I can’t do anything too fancy though. If I could, I’d probably have my own restaurant.”

“Oh you would, would you?”

“Well...maybe..”

I chuckled.

“As long as gems aren’t the only thing on the menu, I’d try it out.”

He began laughing as we entered the kitchen. We gathered the food together and split it onto eight plates. I noticed him put a sprig of parsley onto one of the plates, but not the others.

“That’s a nice touch. Who’s it for?”

Spike blushed and turned away.

“Nopony! It’s for uh...me.”

Uh-huh. And I was a hydra.

“I didn’t mean to embarrass you. I’m sorry.”

“No. It’s okay. I know you didn’t.”

He turned back to the plate and positioned the parsley again. He smiled to himself and picked up a tray, placing half the plates on it. I grabbed the other tray and did the same with the remaining plates. We carried them to the throne room and were met by cheers of joy from the hungry mares. I kept my eye on that parsley plate. Spike dished out the plates to each pony quickly. I almost lost track of my target.

I found the plate again, sitting on the table in front of Rarity. I looked over at Spike and he locked eyes with me. He blushed slightly and I smiled. He had a crush on Rarity. That was cute coming from the little guy. And I understood. She was an impressive pony. And one of the more attractive ones too....

I shook my head. Where had that thought come from? I looked down at my food and began to eat. I glanced around the table at each of the girls. Twilight, friend. Pinkie Pie, friend. Fluttershy, friend. Applejack, friend. Rainbow Dash, friend. Rarity... I lost concentration for a second as I felt a tickling sensation in my stomach area. Why did I have such a different reaction to her?

I thought back to earlier, when I’d held her hoof. Surely there was another explanation for this odd feeling in my gut.

“Are you okay?”

I was startled by Twilight’s question. I looked at the alicorn in confusion.

“What?”

“Are you okay. You’re not touching your food.”

“Oh... I’m fine honestly. Just a little lost in thought.”

She leaned closer and whispered.

“Well if you’re going to be thinking, maybe do it without staring right at her.”

I locked eyes with the Princess, spotting that twinkle again.

“I don’t know what you’re taking about.”

A mischievous grin grew on her lips.

“Of course not. My mistake.”

She sat back and left me with my own thoughts. I started eating again, making sure not to look up.

———————————-

I decided to go for a walk to get some fresh night air. The girls were all leaving so it was a perfect time. I descended the stairs of the castle and aimed toward town.

“Wait up Shade!”

I turned to see Twilight and Rarity coming down to me. I caught Twilight’s gaze and that smile appeared again. What was she up to?

“I thought you could walk Rarity home since it was getting dark. And she lives all the way on the other side of town.”

I turned to Rarity and nodded.

“If you’d like me to. I don’t mind.”

Rarity smiled and nodded in return.

“Thank you Shade.”

She began to walk and I fell into place beside her. I looked over my shoulder at Twilight. She was dancing in place, so proud of herself. I couldn’t believe she was playing matchmaker like this.

I faced forward again and cleared my throat.

“How’s business been for you lately?”

“Very good! In fact, I think I might open a new shop soon!”

“You’re kidding!”

“No! It’s always been my dream to run a boutique in Canterlot.”

“So you’d move there?”

“Oh heavens no! Ponyville is my base of operations. All of my best customers bring their business to me here.”

“So you’d have other ponies running it for you? You’d be the owner?”

“Exactly. My name would be on the boutique, showing all of Canterlot that I am a noteworthy designer!”

I smiled.

“Maybe you should take Celestia up on that offer to stay there.”

“I could see myself living in Canterlot eventually, but that’s the future. I have the present to deal with. Like asking you why you declined Celestia’s offer?”

I sighed.

“I thought we’d discussed this already.”

“None of the girls were satisfied with your answer. I know you’d miss everypony, but it’s a huge opportunity for you! Celestia wants you there for a reason obviously.”

“But I’m so used to Ponyville. I like it here.”

“Change happens Shade. You of all creatures should know that.”

“A little on the nose Rare.”

She giggled.

“Besides, you can always visit. I’ll still need a male model from time to time.”

I nudged her.

“Is that all I am to you? A living mannequin?”

I was surprised when she nudged me back. A shiver ran down my back as she responded.

“Of course not! You’re my friend as well. You’ve always been a huge help when I need you.”

“You’ve helped me a lot too Rarity. I think I’d still be dealing with sleepless nights if it weren’t for you.”

“I was glad to help. I couldn’t stand seeing you in such a state. Which reminds me...how have your nightmares been?”

“They’ve been...regular still. I do my best to meditate before bed every night. It helps get me to sleep, but I still have the dreams. Though I do feel a lot calmer during them. So your lessons must be working.”

“That’s good. I was worried that it wouldn’t help.”

I smiled at her.

“They’ve helped me more than I could have hoped for. You basically saved my life.”

She turned away, but not quick enough. I’d seen the start of her blushing.

“You’re too kind.”

I shook my head.

“I’m not kind enough. I can never thank you enough Rarity. I mean it. You’ve been so friendly to me. More so than most ponies. Besides the girls that is. You make me feel all warm and fuzzy with how nice you are sometimes.”

She turned back to me.

“Warm and fuzzy?”

“Yeah. I’ve never felt like that before. But whenever I look at you, I remember how kind and generous you are to me. It makes me think of the first time we met.”

A smile appeared on her face.

“When you complimented my hair?”

“Yeah! I’d never paid much attention to ponies before Everfree. But seeing you that day, I realized that there was something different about you. Something that made you stand out.”

“And what was that?”

She hadn’t taken her eyes off me while we walked. I only knew this thanks to my peripheral view. Why was she staring so intently? I cleared my throat and continued.

“Well...everything; the way you walked into the room, the way your eyes sparkled, the way your hair flowed down around your face... I’d never seen anypony like you before. I couldn’t believe that there was a pony as beautiful as you.”

We were approaching the boutique. Rarity was still staring at me. I finally stopped and turned to her.

“Do I have dirt on my face or something?”

She continued to meet my gaze.

“What you just said is one of the most romantic things I’ve ever heard. Do you even realize that?”

“Romantic? I was just telling the truth.”

“So you really think I’m the most beautiful pony you’ve ever seen?”

“Well...yeah.”

I thought back over everything I had said to her. As I walked through each portion of the conversation, I began to see the pieces fall into place. Had I actually been romantic? I hadn’t even been trying! I was just talking to Rarity. Sure, I’d been thinking I might have a crush on her, but I hadn’t planned any of this.

And now I was standing here, with her in front of me. She was gazing into my soul with those wonderful, sparkling eyes. I felt something tug in my chest. It wasn’t painful, but it made me inhale sharply. What was this?

All of this went through my head as Rarity leaned forward. I froze, not knowing what to expect. Her face came closer, occupying my vision entirely.

And then she kissed me.

It only lasted for a second before she pulled away and smiled.

“You’re wonderful.”

I didn’t move as she backed away and entered the boutique. I couldn’t. It took a whole minute for my brain to finally pass the message along for my legs to work. I began my walk back to the castle, the kiss replaying in my mind over and over.

This felt different somehow than the last time she’d kissed me on the cheek. I couldn’t stop smiling. I was feeling hot and cold at the same time. I felt like my heart was going to burst from my chest.

I felt....like I could fly again.