• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 4,707 Views, 331 Comments

Learning To Live Again - Speedy Quill



A changeling, abandoned to die after the Royal Wedding, is shown that there's life beyond the hive. Laughter, villains, and committee meetings ensue.

  • ...
11
 331
 4,707

Introductions

Twilight apparently hadn’t informed the town about my arrival. This was obvious in the fact that she had us take a long back route towards her place. We finally stood in front of a large tree with windows and a door. Twilight opened the door and motioned inside.

“This is the Golden Oaks Library. It’s also my home. And for now, it’s yours as well!”

A library! I had been in one of these before! As soon as we were inside I dropped my saddlebag. The pain in my back ebbed away as I looked around at the shelves of books.

“Wow! Look at all of these!”

“Do you like reading?”

“Well...I’ve never really done it for fun before.”

I could tell she had a follow-up question, but she was interrupted by another voice.

“You home Twilight?”

I looked up to the top of the stairs to discover a small dragon. His eyes found me and he froze, staring at me like I had just sprouted a second head.

“Ch-ch-ch-changeling!! Twilight!”

“Spike! Keep it down. Do you really think I wouldn’t know if a changeling was in here?”

“Well maybe he was disguised as a table or a chair or something.”

I rolled my eyes.

“I don’t do furniture.”

The dragon began to descend the stairs, his eyes never leaving me.

“Why is he here? Have they invaded again?”

Twilight motioned to me.

“This is Shade. He was lost and hurt. Zecora has been caring for him. And now he’s going to stay with us for a bit.”

He’s the guest you were talking about?”

“Yes Spike. Now come help me in the kitchen. The others will be here soon.”

I turned my attention to the Princess.

“The others? I thought you snuck me in here so that ponies wouldn’t see me.”

Twilight shooed Spike into the kitchen before turning to me.

“These are special ponies. They’re my best friends. If you’re going to meet anypony it should be them. I told them all that I had a guest coming into town.”

Spike’s voice carried from the kitchen.

“They’re in for a surprise.”

Twilight sighed.

“That’s why I’ve staggered they’re arrivals. I told each of them to arrive at a different time so that they can properly react.”

‘Knock Knock’

Twilight’s eyes flew to the door.

“Horsefeathers! Why is she early?”

Her face fell into her hoof.

“Of course. Never invite the party pony first. Too eager to wait probably.”

I backed away from the door.

“Party pony?”

Twilight cringed as she reached for the door.

“I’m sorry for what’s about to happen. I just thought it might be best to get her energy out of the way.”

“Who’s behind that door Twilight?”

She didn’t answer me. Instead she opened the door and-

NO!! Not this one!

The pink pony bounced inside, with a cannon in tow.

“I brought my party cannon in case you needed to decorate! So who’s your guest?”

Her eyes found me, and I froze. I’d seen several of my comrades fall to her cannon attacks. Nothing but unconscious bodies and confetti were left after that. Maybe if I didn’t move...

“Twilight? Is that what I think it is?”

Twilight stepped between us.

“Yes Pinkie. His name is Shade. He’s a little shy so...be gentle. And maybe don’t point the cannon at him.”

The pink menace moved around Twilight and bounced over to me. I closed my eyes and braced myself for whatever might happen.

“Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie!”

My eyes flew open in shock. I looked at her face and discovered the biggest smile I’d ever seen. Was she honestly happy to meet me?

“Uh...hi.”

“I’ve never met a changeling before well not properly anyways the last time I saw changelings they were attacking Canterlot and your Queen was pretending to be Princess Cadence and everypony was all- GASP!-when she revealed herself and then the rest of the changelings started popping up and we had to fight them because they were being a bunch of meanies not that you’re a meanie that is I haven’t gotten to know you yet but that’s why we’re having a party so that we can get to know you!”

I think I need a nap. I looked to Twilight. She shrugged before disappearing into the kitchen. I was on my own.

“You’re very...energetic.”

“I get that a lot. What’s your name again?”

“Shade.”

“It’s nice to meet you.”

She held out a hoof. Was this another pony thing? Better just to go with it I guess. I reached up and took her hoof.

‘BZZZZ’

I jumped back into a defensive stance. Pinkie’s smile melted away as she realized what happened.

“I’m so sorry! I forgot I was still wearing my hoof buzzer.”

She turned her hoof over to reveal a small gadget tied to it. She pulled it off and placed it inside her mane.

“That’s the only one. I promise.”

I let my body begin to relax.

“I’m not used to a lot of this.”

“That’s okay. I’m sure Twilight will help you figure it all out. Do you want to see my party cannon?”

I didn’t move as she pulled it closer. She aimed it at a nearby wall and leaned over to me.

“Twilight never decorates her parties. Lucky she has me though.”

She pulled the cord on the cannon. I ducked to the ground as it roared to life. A shout came from the kitchen.

“Pinkie! Are you decorating?”

“Well that’s a silly question Twilight. What else am I supposed to do with my cannon?”

I looked up to discover that the cannon had indeed thrown decorations onto the wall. How in Tartarus did that work?

Twilight and Spike emerged from the kitchen carrying trays. Pinkie bounced over to the nearby table as the trays were set down.

“Oooo! Those look good Twilight!”

Twilight looked at me.

“I prepared some snacks. Do...changelings eat regular food?”

I walked over to the table and looked at the food. It was colorful. Much more than the roots and berries I had forced down in previous months.

“We don’t take a lot in physically. But my recent circumstances left me eating berries and such. They weren’t bad by any means. Not nearly as good as love though.”

“What does love taste like?”

Twilight and I both turned to Pinkie in surprise. Twilight seemed more shocked than I did. She spoke through her teeth to the pink pony.

“Maybe Shade doesn’t want to talk about that Pinkie.”

I smiled.

“It’s okay Twilight. I guess it probably tastes like what it feels? I couldn’t say for sure.”

“Does it make you warm and fuzzy and like you’re on top of the world?”

I chuckled.

“Actually...yeah.”

“Wow! I wish our food tasted like that all the time.”

Twilight relaxed visibly as another knock came at the door.

“That should be Fluttershy.”

She walked to the door, opening it to reveal a yellow pegasus. As my mind recalled her I felt, I had a moment of dread come over me. I was going to be introduced to the ponies that had helped fend off the Canterlot Invasion. Of all the ponies I could be introduced to, why was it them?

The pegasus entered, giving a nervous smile to Twilight.

“I hope I’m not early.”

“You’re right on time Fluttershy. This is the guest I told you about. Shade, meet Fluttershy.”

Her eyes locked with mine and a small squeak escaped her. I felt a smile crawl onto my face at a snail’s pace.

“Hi.”

Another squeak and she was gone. No wait.. She was behind Twilight. The princess sighed.

“He’s not going to bite Fluttershy. Shade is my guest. Zecora was taking care of him. Did you know he was lost in the Everfree Forest?”

Fluttershy emerged from behind the lavender pony.

“Lost in the forest? Oh my. Weren’t you scared?”

I nodded.

“More than you can imagine.”

Pinkie leaned close to me.

“Trust me on this. She can imagine.”

A rosy color appeared on Fluttershy’s cheeks. Twilight came over, her brow furrowed.

“You’re not helping. Why don’t you come with me to the kitchen?”

She shoved Pinkie out of the room, leaving me and Fluttershy alone. She didn’t make eye contact with me. I wasn’t entirely sure what to do with myself.

“So...you don’t like the forest either?”

“Um...no. But I do go there sometimes...to gather food for my animals.”

“None of your animals are timberwolves, are they?”

“Goodness no! Those are terrifying!”

“I know.”

I motioned to my back. Her eyes fell to my bandages and she connected the pieces.

“You poor thing!”

I didn’t have any time to react before I was caught in another one of those hugs. Was this going to be a regular thing? Fluttershy pulled away after a moment.

“Are you okay? Do you need anything?”

“I...I’m fine. Zecora sent some potions with me. I’m doing a lot better than I was a week ago.”

“Were you really out there for so long?”

“About a year.”

“You must be so brave!”

Another hug ensued. She was crushing me slightly. I inhaled as best as I could.

“Brave. Sure.”

Twilight and Pinkie returned from the kitchen as Fluttershy released me. I took a deep breath as Twilight smiled.

“You two seem to be getting along!”

Fluttershy had a look of concern.

“He’s been on his own for so long. The poor thing.”

My legs began to tremble, signaling that I’d been on my feet too long. I sat down with a grunt.

“I’m fine. Honestly. Though if one of you could grab my saddlebag-“

Pinkie appeared with the bag, dropping it in front of me. I reached in and found one of the vials Zecora had packed for me.

“Bottoms up.”

I chugged the vial, trying not to taste the liquid. When it was empty, I put the vial back in the bag.

“I hope I never get used to that stuff.”

Another knock at the door signaled that I still had a long afternoon ahead of me. How many of them were there? I watched as Twilight opened the door to reveal an orange pony and a blue pegasus. Twilight groaned.

“I told you two separate times for a reason.”

The pegasus flew inside.

“Well what’s the point of that? It’s a welcome party, isn’t it?”

She stopped midair as she saw me next to Fluttershy and Pinkie.

“Uh...Applejack? Tell me I’m seeing things.”

The orange pony peeled around Twilight, spotting me.

“Ah don’t think so Dash. Twilight?”

Twilight backed up, allowing the orange pony to enter.

“Applejack, Rainbow Dash, this is Shade. Shade meet Applejack and Rainbow Dash.”

She motioned to each in turn. I nodded to both.

“It’s nice to meet you.”

Applejack looked me up and down.

“Haven’t seen one of you in a while. You hurt?”

“Yeah. I’ve been stuck in Everfree for a while.”

Rainbow Dash lowered herself to the floor.

“Why didn’t you just fly out?”

I pointed to my back leg.

“Broke this one when I crash-landed. Sprained one of my wings too. It took forever for them to heal without proper care. By the time they did, I was too weak to fly. Not to mention I recently had the leg broken again.”

“I would have still walked until I found a way out.”

“Not so easy when you’re unfamiliar with the terrain. And you try walking long distance when you haven’t eaten for a few months.”

That shut her up. Applejack stepped forward, examining my bandages.

“Did a varmint get you?”

“Timberwolf.”

She backed up, a look of shock crossing her face. Rainbow’s expression softened slightly as she realized what I must have dealt with. I could tell it was getting uncomfortable for everypony. Luckily Pinkie chimed in.

“Come on girls! Let’s get this party started!”

She hopped over to a box and turned a crank on the side. It began to produce noise. No wait... I felt a smile form.

“Music. I’d forgotten how much I like music.”

Pinkie smiled and began jumping around the room. Fluttershy sat down, taking a snack from the table. Applejack and Rainbow Dash joined Pinkie out on the floor. Twilight sat next to me and Fluttershy.

“Do you want to join them?”

“I don’t know if they like me very much.”

Fluttershy draped a wing across my back.

“They will. Just give them time.”

The door opened once more to reveal an alabaster mare.

“Now really! I couldn’t possibly be late. At least not more than is fashionable.”

Twilight hurried over to the door.

“Of course not Rarity. You’re right on time. There’s somepony you should meet.”

“Yes, who is this mystery guest of yours?”

Twilight waved to me, motioning for me to come closer. I stood up, feeling my limbs object. Nevertheless I walked over to meet the new pony. Her eyes grew bigger as I approached. She was scared of me. I did my best to look innocent and put on a smile.

“Hi. I’m Shade.”

I held out my hoof. The mare looked me up and down. The look in her eyes bored right to my core. I felt as if she were examining every part of me. It was intimidating. She looked at Twilight, who nodded encouragingly, and lifted her own hoof.

“Rarity.”

Our hooves touched, hers on top of mine. I wasn’t exactly sure what the next step was, so I lowered my hoof away from hers after a few moments.

“It’s nice to meet you. I hope you’re the last one for now.”

I looked to Twilight.

“Is she?”

“Yes Shade. This is everypony.”

I looked back to Rarity. She was brushing her mane back from her face. I couldn’t help but stare for a moment. Her face had a graceful appearance. Her eyes sparkled like two gemstones. Her mane seemed to flow effortlessly.

“Wow. Your mane is...”

I wanted to say ‘nice’, but that didn’t convey the right thought. What was another word for it?

“Beautiful.”

I glanced at Twilight. She had leaned in close to my ear to whisper. Beautiful. That was the word.

“Beautiful.”

A small smile appeared on Rarity.

“Well, I do my best. Thank you.”

I glanced back at Twilight and she smiled approvingly. Pinkie appeared out of nowhere, grabbing my hoof.

“Come on Shade! Show us what you got!”

What in Equestria was she talking about? She dragged me over to the others with Twilight and Rarity following behind. Everypony was moving in different ways, but it all seemed timed to the music. What was this called again? Rainbow Dash nudged me.

“Come on. Don’t tell me you don’t know how to dance?”

Dancing. That’s right.

“I’ve seen it before, but never tried. What do I do?”

Rarity walked around me.

“You just move with the music. Let it speak to you.”

Applejack chuckled.

“Just not like that.”

She nodded to Twilight, who seemed to be having a fit. I had to choke down a laugh.

“So I’m not the worst dancer here?”

Fluttershy came over with some sort of snack and offered it to me.

“Just don’t tell her that.”

I looked over the food.

“What is this exactly?”

Rarity chimed in.

“Surely you’ve had a cupcake before?”

“Can’t say that I have.”

I took a tentative bite. The flavor filled my mouth and melted into my tongue. My eyes lit up as I felt my soul leave my body for a split second. And then I inhaled the rest of the cupcake.

Rainbow Dash started to laugh.

“I think he liked it!”

The girls laughed and continued to dance as I went over and helped myself to a few more snacks. I sat down and took the whole scene in. These ponies weren’t nearly as bad as I had expected. And they were all being friendly despite my being a changeling. I still felt like they didn’t trust me. Not entirely anyways. I did my best to push those thoughts from my mind for the time being. This was a party. For now, I would enjoy this moment of peace.

I bit into another cupcake and sighed. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to have a few friends.