• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 4,717 Views, 331 Comments

Learning To Live Again - Speedy Quill



A changeling, abandoned to die after the Royal Wedding, is shown that there's life beyond the hive. Laughter, villains, and committee meetings ensue.

  • ...
11
 331
 4,717

First Meeting

Celestia was happy to hear that I’d be returning. She’d even given me a suite overlooking the gardens. I couldn’t believe the room itself though. It had to be at least four times bigger than my room at Twilight’s.

“I don’t know if I need this much space.”

Celestia paced around the room.

“I thought you might want to build your own personal library in here. And that you would need space to study.”

“Already have a curriculum planned for me Celestia?”

She smiled.

“Not really. But I’m guessing your time is going to be spent between here and the main library for the foreseeable future.”

“True. I plan to read everything you have to offer.”

“Everything? Do you think you’ll be able to handle that much knowledge”

“I’ve handled everything I’ve read so far. That’s...3,347 books to date.

“Consider me impressed. But you’ll have to let me know if you reach your limits. After all, there’s over 40,000 books in the main library alone.”

My heart fell into my stomach. 40,000?! Sure my speed had improved, but the sheer amount of books was enough to make me doubt my ability.

“Well...I guess I’d better get started.”

“Is there anything that you’re hoping to learn specifically?”

“Nothing specific right now. Unless there’s something you were hoping I’d look at?”

Celestia shook her head.

“No. I’m more interested to see a demonstration of your retention. If you can really have all of this knowledge at the ready, perhaps I’ll find a role for you.”

I nodded in understanding. She wanted some proof of my ability. Very well. I’d show her just what I was capable of.

———————————

I sat in the Canterlot Library, reading through a volume on Equestria’s lesser known sorcerers. It seemed many had had minor successes in life. Most were credited with creating spells that I’d never even heard of. Obviously these weren’t everyday spells, but some of these were downright strange. Why did Flarigan the Fortunate feel the need to have a spell that could turn your toothbrush into a snake?

I closed the book and set it back on the shelf. My eyes darted around the spines, looking for my next read. This library was vast! I’d been coming here for three days and had only gotten through 2,000 books so far.

My days were filled with leather covers and dusty pages. I’d gone through histories, biographies, and books on dozens of different -ologies. I was starting to look at things in a new light. And the more I read, the more I began to understand how this world worked. Equestria was a land of love and friendship. That made it a rarity amongst many of the other countries in the world. Most nations functioned through strength. And yet here was a land led by four princesses who didn’t make any great shows of power or strength on a regular basis. There had been enemies to defeat, but power wasn’t what came to mind when you looked at any of them. They ruled through their kindness. Everypony loved them.

Celestia and Luna had been rulers for a long time. Well...more Celestia than Luna, but that was beside the point. They’d lived for over a thousand years with only a few threats to their power. Which made me wonder; just how powerful are the alicorns? Come to think of it...I hadn’t come across much about alicorns so far. Sure I hadn’t read most of the library yet, but I imagine the race would have been mentioned more often at least. Especially the histories. But details were scarce. Nothing beyond Celestia and Luna being crowned.

I began walking through the shelves, looking for anything that might quell my curiosity. There must be a book on alicorns somewhere. My eyes scanned the shelves, hoping to find something obvious. No... That would be too easy. Alicorns weren’t common, so why would there be a convenient manual about them?

I began looking at less-obvious choices. Biology was my first stop. It took a dozen books before I found the first mention of alicorns. A single entry.

The span and bone structure of the pegasus wing is ample for liftoff and gliding, unlike the larger span of the alicorn which incorporates additional bones for further flexibility and power with each wingbeat.

Okay. So alicorns had a slightly different build compared to Pegasi. That didn’t have a lot to do with magic, but it was still interesting. Although...if alicorns have extra bones in their wings, did they also have differences in their horns and magic? I already knew they had a larger capacity for magic, but what if there were more to it?

Celestia had defended the kingdom for a thousand years with almost no help. The fact that few enemies had tried to take over meant that she’d left an impression. And she’d faced some terrifying creatures in her day. Just how powerful were she and Luna?

“Finding anything?”

The voice made me nearly jump out of my skin. I whipped around to discover Celestia standing behind me.

“Don’t sneak up like that! I’m liable to rip a few pages if you don’t announce yourself.”

She smiled.

“I just wanted to check how your studies were going. You’ve been in the here non-stop.”

She looked down at the book in my hooves.

“Pony biology. An interesting read for sure. We ought to commission a newer book with a section on changelings.”

“My biology isn’t overly different from yours. You have two stomachs as well, right?”

I had to fight back my laughter as I watched her eyes grow wider. A smile grew on my face.

“A joke Celestia.”

She began to smile as well. I closed the book and returned it to the shelf, continuing once my gaze returned to her.

“To be honest, changelings and ponies aren’t too different. It’s the diet that’s different. Changeling bodies survive off love, ponies off food.”

“Yet you no longer consume love.”

“Right. Starving for a year will do that to you.”

I began to walk toward the exit.

“Speaking of consuming, I’m famished!”

Celestia followed behind.

“While we walk to the kitchen, can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Why the interest in alicorns?”

I tripped on my own hooves, nearly falling down. I regained my balance and stood still, looking up at the Princess.

“How could you-?”

“I know where every reference to alicorns is in the library. And I also know you found the only one that’s available to the public.”

“So there is material on alicorns?”

“Yes. But I don’t let anypony see it. There are some things that have to remain secret.”

I guess that made sense...

“So why do you want to know?”

“Well...I suppose I was curious as to how powerful all of you were. Equestria has withstood plenty since Discord was locked away the first time. Honestly, your country doesn’t put off an image of strength. Which means that you must carry quite a bit of weight in battle.”

Celestia shook her head and began walking again.

“I haven’t been in battle in a long time. And even then you have to realize that there were several times that I had help from my sister or magical artifacts.”

“A fair point, but you still have enough magic to raise and lower the sun every day. That’s something that took several of Equestira’s strongest unicorns to do.”

“You’ve been reading your histories I see.”

“You’ve had Luna to help you as well as the Elements of Harmony in the past, so I can believe that your powers aren’t as big as ponies make them out to be. Though you don’t seem to mind them thinking that you and your sister are nearly omnipotent.”

“For the record, w never said we were. But ponies tend to tell stories. Pass those down for over a thousand years and things can get a little muddled.

“That’s another thing. You’re over a thousand years old. Nopony has a lifespan like that unless they’re extremely powerful. And to make it this long still looking as young as you do must mean that yours and Luna’s power is off the charts.”

“Oh? You think I look young for my age?”

I rolled my eyes.

“Do you want to look a thousand?”

She giggled.

“It’s true that alicorns have an enormous capacity for magic. And that does have something to do with our aging as well. But that’s all I’ll say about it.”

“May I ask you one last question before lunch?”

“You may. But I might not answer it.”

“Were you born an alicorn?”

The Princess stopped again. She didn’t look at me for several seconds. I shifted uncomfortably.

“I’m sorry. Forget I asked.”

“No. It’s just...nopony has ever asked that. Not even Twilight or Cadence.”

“Really?”

She shook her head.

“I guess we’ve been around long enough that everypony just assumes we’ve always been what we are.”

“So you and Luna...”

“Luna and I ascended...in a way. It's...complicated. And if you're wondering about the possibility, I've never witnessed an alicorn birth in this world.”

She walked ahead, leaving me to process the little she’d offered me. Ascension was a fascinating topic. I’d asked Twilight about her experience once and she’d done her best to explain it. She’d proven that she was worthy of becoming a Princess. Of becoming somepony that ponies could look up to.

So...Celestia and Luna had been regular ponies at one point? Celestia had dodged the question pretty well. I pushed these thoughts back and shook my head to clear it. Celestia had told me all she was going to for now. I needed to let it rest.

I hurried to catch up to Celestia and we walked in silence to the kitchen. The chefs became anxious as they saw their Princess enter. She brushed it off and told them to return to what they were doing. One chef stepped forward and smiled.

“What can I get you today Princess?”

Celestia smiled back at the stallion.

“I’ll have a salad today Butter Whisk. What would you like Shade?”

“What sort of food is there?”

Butter Whisk let out a booming laugh.

“The question is what we don’t have! You name it, I’ll make it.”

“Umm.... A hay sandwich with some apple slices?”

“A pony of simple tastes! I like it!”

He rushed off to gather his supplies. I felt a small smile creep onto my face. Celestia’s seemed amused at this.

“What’s so funny?”

“Nothing. It’s just...being called a pony felt kind of nice.”

“You do look more pony than changeling.”

My smile grew bigger as Butter Whisk reappeared with our food. Wow he was fast! He set the dishes down on a nearby table. Celestia sat down and tore into her salad without hesitation. I took to my sandwich at a slower pace.

“You don’t waste time, do you?”

Celestia paused, dabbing a napkin across her mouth.

“When you have to rule a country, you have to be quick with certain things. I haven’t eaten a lunch slowly in centuries.”

I chuckled.

“Do you have something planned?”

“Always. It can be a bit annoying actually. Having you whole day planned up until dinnertime. And sometimes even past then!”

“Sounds stressful.”

“That barely begins to describe my days.”

“Well what do you have planned after you’ve inhaled that salad?”

“A meeting with Parliament to discuss taxes.”

“Sounds like sooo much fun.”

“It is to them I’m sure. They’ve been pushing for another hike in property taxes.”

Property taxes. Why did that ring a bell? I thought for a moment, recalling where I’d seen or heard that term. Ah! One of my books from yesterday had involved the beginnings of Equestrian law. Property taxes had been introduced to help fund the upkeep of the new roads that had been built between the cities. Back before the railroads and the hot air balloons everypony had traveled by hoof or cart exclusively.

Tax increases were rather rare in the early days. They’d only really started in the last century or so. Even then, they weren’t often...

“Another hike? Haven’t they made one recently?”

“About two years ago. I’ve always kept raising taxes to a minimum, but the ponies in Parliament have been more aggressive about it.”

“Didn’t you set a law limiting the number of tax increases? I think I read that yesterday.”

“I did actually. But that law was made nearly a thousand years ago. Times change.”

“Has the law though?”

Her fork stopped halfway to her mouth.

“Well...I’m sure there’s been a few alterations, but nothing as extreme as Parliament is pushing.”

I stood up and stretched.

“When is your meeting?”

“In thirty minutes.”

“Is the law section at the library up to date?”

“Most likely.”

“Last question. Where does Parliament meet?”

“If you’re doing what I think you’re doing, I’ll meet you near the main entrance to the castle.”

I raced off to the library without another word.

——————————

I was sitting in a chair by the wall, observing the gathering in front of me. Parliament met at a round table, with Celestia sitting at the head. They were talking back and forth about some trivial matters, but the conversation soon turned to the subject I’d been waiting for. A pony near Celestia raised his voice.

“As we discussed in our last meeting, the need for a tax increase has become paramount for the well-being of the kingdom. The property tax sits at three percent currently, but should be raised to four. I believe I speak for all of Parliament when I say that this increase will help secure much needed services for Equestria.”

Quite the speech.

Celestia sat forward and cleared her throat.

“Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I always have Equestria’s needs at the forefront of my mind. So I must deny the increase.”

Mutters erupted amongst the members. There were even a few gasps at the Princess’ statement. I smiled as I watched the one pony gather his thoughts.

“Deny the-? But...we... Princess Celestia, perhaps I didn’t make it clear-“

“You made it perfectly clear. I thank you for the proposal, but i still have to deny the increase.”

“May we ask why?”

Celestia turned to me.

“I believe my...advisor can fill you in on the details.”

She motioned for me to approach. I stood up and walked over to the table. The ponies of Parliament stared at me, many of them whispering to one another. I must have been quite the sight. My body was normal enough, but there were still some details to my physical appearance that made others realize that I wasn’t what I seemed.

I could feel my anxiety building. I needed to get through this fast. I straightened up and looked at each member.

“It was...brought to my attention...that this is not the first increase in recent years. There was one two years ago as well, correct?”

The one stallion, who I had guessed now must be the Head of Parliament, spoke up.

“Yes. A necessary function in this economy.”

“So you say. But that still doesn’t mean you can raise the taxes a second time in a seven year period.”

“What are you taking about?”

“Equestrian Law: Volume 7, Section 12, Article 17, Paragraph F. Taxes can be increased once every seven years if necessary. A second increase may only be approved in an emergency situation and must be approved by the Royalty.”

I had several pairs of eyes staring at me in shock now. The Head pony cleared his throat, regaining his composure.

“An entertaining display, but there’s no way that you could be correct. We are the lawmakers of Equestria. You’re nothing but...well I don’t know exactly what you are, but it’s obvious that you’re not a pony.”

Celestia leaned forward.

“I’d thank you to keep the conversation civil. I will not have insults thrown around.”

The Head pony bowed his head.

“Forgive me Princess, but I don’t believe your...friend knows what he’s taking about.”

Celestia looked to one of the other ponies.

“Feather Quill? Have you been taking down the minutes?”

A unicorn with a notepad paused in her writing.

“Of course Princess.”

“And you have the volumes of Equestrian Law on hoof?”

“Yes, though I don’t have it memorized like your..advisor does.”

“Could you confirm that his quotation is true?”

Feather Quill stood up and trotted over to a shelf, pulling down a volume of Equestrian Law. She flipped through the pages until she found the passage. As she read she began to nod.

“He quoted it exactly. And if you’ve already denied the increase, then the discussion is closed for another five years.”

The Head pony scowled as Feather Quill returned to her seat.

“You would take the word of this foreigner over your own Parliament Celestia?”

I took a step forward and frowned. My anxiety seemed to melt away as I began to speak.

“That’s Princess Celestia to you. And you’ll respect her decision.”

I looked around at the other ponies.

“The fact that you would even attempt to slip an illegal motion through here is despicable. It makes me wonder if the increase was for Equestria, or for your own pockets.”

They were beginning to look uncomfortable. But the Head pony stood up, his anger bubbling to the surface.

“Who are you to accuse us of such villainy? Of such...treason?!”

I turned to him, narrowing my eyes.

“Weren’t you listening to your Princess? I’m her advisor. Her right hoof so to say. She’s trusted one of my opinions so far. Should I make another concerning you?”

The silence in the room was deafening. But it was quickly broken as Celestia stood, towering over all of us.

“I think that concludes today’s session. I’ll see you all next week.”

Her dismissal brought everypony back from shock. They nodded to each other and exited the room. The Head pony was last, his eyes never leaving me until the door closed behind him.

I left out a sigh.

“Thank the Sun! I nearly lost it.”

I collapsed into one of the seats, taking a deep breath. Celestia looked down at me.

“You were pushing your luck there, don’t you think?”

“Oh come on Celestia. They all needed a wake up call. Especially that one stallion.”

“He’s the Head of Parliament, one of the most influential ponies in Equestria.”

“Well he needs to know that he can’t walk all over you.”

“Where exactly did that confidence come from? You took command of the room!”

“I...I guess I didn’t like how he was talking to you. You’re the ruler after all. He should show you respect.”

Celestia sat in her seat.

“Was that your role in the hive? Demanding respect for Chrysalis?”

“No. She commanded respect through fear.”

“So why the sudden urge to protect me then?”

“Well...I guess that you’re...kind of...sort of...my friend. And I don’t like ponies bullying my friends.”

Celestia smiled.

“Thank you Shade. That means a lot to me.”

She stood and began to walk toward the door.

“I should have you at all my meetings. They’d definitely be more entertaining.”

I stood to follow her.

“Are you trying to kill me with boredom?”

“If that was possible I wouldn’t have lasted a year, let alone a thousand.”

I chuckled.

“Well...I guess I don’t have any other plans today.”

“Good. After all, I can’t attend my meetings without my ‘right hoof’ as you said.”

I returned her smile as we exited the room. Maybe Canterlot wouldn’t be so bad after all.