• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 4,722 Views, 331 Comments

Learning To Live Again - Speedy Quill



A changeling, abandoned to die after the Royal Wedding, is shown that there's life beyond the hive. Laughter, villains, and committee meetings ensue.

  • ...
11
 331
 4,722

A Dream And Lunch

A day went by without hearing anything from Luna. I was still trying to decipher our meeting when I received a scroll from one of the staff. I took it without question and rolled it open.

Shade

I’ve spoken with Celestia on the matter and we’ve come to an agreement. Please return to your room and get some rest. You’ll be joining me tonight.

Luna

I stared at the scroll for several seconds. What did Luna have planned for me?

I sighed, realizing that there would be no way around it. Whatever she’d prepared was something Celestia approved of. If both of them were in on this, I had no choice.

I rolled the scroll up and returned to my room, wondering how I was supposed to sleep this early. It wasn’t even midday yet! I drew the curtains closed, blocking out a majority of the sunlight. That ought to help.

I climbed into bed and got settled. A sigh left me as the sheets and pillows encompassed me entirely. It seemed my body was ready to rest, even though my mind was still racing. I began my meditation, attempting to slow down the thoughts flying around my head.

Take a deep breath.

I smiled, recognizing the voice. I always heard her voice when I did my exercises.

Breathe out, forcing all of your thoughts to exit your body.

I felt my head begin to empty.

Now open your eyes.

What? That wasn’t part of the exercise..

Open your eyes Shade.

My eyelids slowly lifted and I was greeted by Rarity.

“Wha-? How?”

I looked around and discovered that I was no longer in bed. I was in the boutique! My vision shifted back to Rarity, confusion still filling my eyes.

“What’s going on?”

“What do you mean darling?”

“I was meditating a minute ago.”

“Is that why you had your eyes closed? I was wondering about that.”

“But...I was in Canterlot.”

“Yes. You got back the other day. Have you decided if you’re taking Celestia up on her offer?”

That’s when it clicked. I was dreaming!

“I didn’t even realize that I’d fallen asleep.”

Rarity smiled and stepped closer.

“You look pretty awake to me.”

She leaned forward and kissed me. I panicked for a split second, but then remembered that this was a dream. I felt my body melt a little. Even as a dream, this felt heavenly. Rarity pulled away after a few seconds.

“You know that I fancy you. And I know you fancy me. So what’s holding you back?”

I swallowed.

“Well uh...I don’t want to rush things. I thought we were getting to know each other better”

“You should relax Shade. If you stay wound up like that you’re liable to burst one day.”

She led me over to the lounge and we resumed kissing. She was being so forward! I didn’t know what to expect or believe. I knew that Rarity probably wasn’t like this, but the dream was leading me on.

Dream Rarity suddenly pushed me back against the lounge and smiled.

“Do you really think I’m the most beautiful mare you’ve ever seen?”

I smiled.

“No question. You’re as beautiful as they come.”

She beamed from ear to ear. I felt her body slowly slide on top of me. I froze, not knowing what to do. Was this happening?!

“You really know how to flatter a girl, don’t you? Your words speak volumes and your actions- Oh!”

She giggled, laying on top of me as I blushed at my predicament.

“Your actions leave little to say. So what shall we do about this?”

“Well....I uh....maybe we should...”

‘KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK’

My head snapped to the front door. Thank Celestia! Saved by the door! I turned to look at Rarity again, but she’d disappeared. I looked around the boutique. She was nowhere to be found.

‘KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK’

Who the hay could that be?

“Um....come in?”

The door opened to reveal Luna. I laid there, frozen in confusion.

“What are you doing here?!”

Luna looked just as shocked as I did.

“I...I don’t know. I was sleeping when everything shifted. I found myself in Ponyville, in front of this shop. Wait...is that really you Shade?”

“Of course it’s me! What are you doing in my dream?”

Her eyes widened in understanding.

“Ah! I must have accidentally slipped into your dream without meaning to. It’s rare that there are ponies asleep during the day besides myself. I suppose that and your close proximity in the castle.”

She stepped into the shop, closing the door behind her.

“This is Rarity’s shop, isn’t it?”

“Yeah.”

“It’s quaint. I like it. But why are you-“

Her sentence cut off as she turned around suddenly.

“I apologize. I didn’t know I was interrupting.”

My eyes glanced down the lounge and I shuddered, remembering my situation. My face grew hotter by the second as I blushed harder than I ever had.

“It’s not- I mean it just-“

Great! I had just flashed one of the Princesses. Could my life get any worse?! I’d almost rather be back in Everfree right now!

Luna waved a hoof, still facing away.

“No! Don’t apologize. Or explain. I know these dreams happen from time to time. I’m usually good at avoiding them. I didn’t mean to intrude on you like this.”

I pulled a blanket onto my body and sat up.

“It’s not your fault...I think. And nothing happened anyways.”

Luna glanced over her shoulder. At seeing the blanket, she turned back around to me.

“I’m truly sorry. I didn’t mean to show up like this.”

“Honesty...I’m glad you did.”

She looked surprised again.

“Really? Were you not enjoying yourself?”

“Well I think it’s obvious that part of me was, but I was beginning to panic a bit. I’ve never been...physical with anypony before.”

“Well that shouldn’t be a concern for somepony as young as you are.”

“I’m not that young. Especially by pony standards.”

“What about by changeling standards?”

“I’m still young, but I’m almost....thirty years late to the party. A lot of changelings have coupled by the time they hit sixty.”

I waited for another surprised expression, but Luna didn’t seem fazed by my comment.

“I didn’t know changelings had an extended life like that. But why does it concern you if you’ve not been...intimate?”

“Well...I just don’t want to...screw anything up. From the books I’ve read, this can ruin relationships.”

“Oh? You’re in a relationship?”

“No. Yes? I’m not sure. It’s new.”

Luna looked around the boutique again.

“Would I be safe to assume that this involves Rarity?”

I blushed again. Luna smiled.

“It’s alright. I can understand the attraction. She’s a pretty mare.”

“It’s more than that. She’s one of my best friends.”

“Another good attribute for a relationship.”

“We’ve kissed before, but I don’t know about taking the next step. And then there’s-“

Luna held a hoof to my mouth.

“You’re working yourself up over things that haven’t happened yet. Focus on the present and enjoy the time you have with her. If it moves further, then it moves further. But don’t stress about that aspect too soon. You might ruin the experience.”

I cocked an eyebrow.

“You say that as if from experience.”

She blushed.

“Well...not my own... But I’ve picked up a few things from the dreams of everypony.”

“So you and Celestia are in the same boat. How did no stallion ever try to flirt with you at least?”

That made her giggle.

“A few tried. Most lost their confidence after standing in front of us for a few seconds. We can be rather intimidating.”

“I’d love to meet the stallion who was brave enough to try.”

Luna eyes grew dim as she sat down and sighed.

“A stallion would have made things a little easier for me. Maybe I wouldn’t have given in to my darker half.”

“You don’t know that for sure.”

“True. But who knows? Things could have been very different...”

She seemed to be lost in thought. No doubt revisiting her younger years. I cleared my throat to speak and that seemed to grab her attention again.

“Couldn’t you and Celestia possibly still find yourselves somepony?”

“Oh? You know of some ponies who are comfortable with dating their rulers?”

“....Good point.”

Luna stood back up.

“It’s nothing to dwell on. Our path was chosen a long time ago. I should let you rest.”

She began to walk toward the exit.

“Wait a second! What exactly are we doing tonight? You never cleared that up.”

Luna glanced over her shoulder and smiled.

“Why, your first magic lesson of course.”

With a flash she was gone, leaving me to register what she’d said. Magic lessons?

——————————

I woke up the next day with a headache. Holy Tartarus did that hurt! I slowly sat up, my head pounding away. With great effort, I stood up and made my way to the kitchen. Had the sun always been so bright? Had the castle always been so well lit? I could barely keep my eyes open!

“Looks like somepony had a busy night.”

I cracked one eye open and found Celestia walking towards me.

“Do you have to be so loud?”

“I take it the magic lesson went well.”

“I barely levitated a scroll.”

“But you got it off the ground?”

“I suppose..”

“Then you’ve made progress. That’s wonderful!”

“Again, keep the volume down. Are you using your Canterlot Voice?”

She smiled.

“Learning a different type of magic can be difficult. I remember the headaches I used to get when I was first raising the Sun.”

“But isn’t that your magic?”

“Actually, my magic specialty is concealment, illusion, and defense. Raising the Sun is just an extra skill I had to develop.”

“Wait. Really?”

“Mhmm.”

“What’s Luna’s specialty?”

“Dreams, transfiguration, and offense.”

Wow. That was interesting. I had always thought that the control of the celestial bodies was their primary power. Who’d have thought?

“Were you heading for the kitchen?”

“Yeah. I’m starving. And I need something for this headache.”

We began walking down the hall. Celestia smiled.

“So Luna put you through your paces?”

“She wouldn’t quit. She kept me going half the night.”

“You must have quite the stamina to last half the night.”

I glanced at her from the corner of my eye. She was grinning like a schoolfilly.

“Don’t start with me Celestia. I’m not in the mood.”

“Really? That’s not what Luna said.”

I nearly tripped on the carpet. I looked up at the Princess, horrified.

“What?! She didn’t!”

Celestia was doing her best not to laugh.

“I’m sorry Shade. We don’t have a lot to talk about some days. So Luna walking in on your...exciting dream was kind of the highlight of the morning.”

I grit my teeth.

“I swear I’m going to send her right back to the moon.”

“Don’t worry. It’s between the three of us.”

She continued walking and I, begrudgingly, caught up. Celestia looked down at me again.

“How come you never mentioned Rarity?”

“Because its nopony’s business.”

“Can’t you tell me?”

“Honestly? You’re as bad as Twilight! Are all alicorns this nosy?”

“Yes. But that’s a rather unfair question as there’s only four of us.”

“Just my luck. I’ve got to be friends with the race that butts into my personal life.”

“So....”

I rolled my eyes.

“Yes. I like Rarity. And she likes me too. But nothing else has happened. We haven’t even seen each other since I came here”

“I could help change that!”

My eyes widened.

“What is that supposed to mean?”

A scroll materialized in front of her and she rolled it open.

“Twilight and the others were in town for Rarity’s grand opening this last week.”

My heart began pounding.

“I missed the grand opening?! Why didn’t they tell me?!”

“May I continue?”

I nodded, trying to take a deep breath.

“Twilight said the opening was a success, but that Rarity has been a bit stressed trying to fill orders for the past week. She also said that Rarity is still in town, but will be heading back tonight.”

“She’s still here?”

“Her boutique is over on Diamond Street.”

I didn’t even give it a second thought before running back the way I’d come.

———————————

I was out of breath when I approached the boutique. It looked amazing! There were mannequins in the windows with beautiful dresses. I recognized some of the designs from her sketchbook!

I opened the door and walked in. There were a few ponies milling about, looking at the clothing. A tall mare took notice of me and approached.

“Welcome to Canterlot Carousel. How can I help you?”

She was close enough now to get a good look at me. It was easy to tell she was a little taken aback. I doubt I was the prettiest thing in the shop at the moment. I put on my best smile.

“I’m here to see Rarity.”

“And who shall I say is asking for her?”

“No need for names. It’s a message from the castle.”

“Really? I’ll go and fetch her!”

I mentally patted myself on the back for the quick lie. I wanted to surprise Rarity, but I also didn’t feel it necessary to be spreading my name around. I’d already heard some whispers about myself from Butter Whisk. My presence at meetings had caused quite a stir and had sparked a fire in the rumor mill. I didn’t know how far the rumors were spread and didn’t need my name attached with any of them.

Rarity emerged from the back. She was fixing her mane when she spotted me. Her face lit up at once.

“You came!!”

She raced over to me, pulling me into a hug. A few of the ponies in the shop looked in our direction. I pulled myself out of the hug and cleared my throat.

“Yes. I know you’ve been waiting for this message for a while Miss Rarity. Is there somewhere quieter we could speak?”

She looked confused for a split second. But as her eyes darted around the room, she understood. Her smile returned and she motioned for me to follow.

“Of course. Come to the back room. Sassy? Will you give us some privacy while I get the message.”

The mare nodded.

“Of course Rarity. Take as long as you need. I hope it’s good news!”

Rarity led me into the back room. Before I could say anything though, she turned and planted a kiss on me that made my legs turn to jelly. I had to sit down! She broke the kiss and stepped back as I shook my head. I couldn’t help but grin like an idiot.

“Hello to you too.”

“I would have done that earlier, but we had an audience. Now why were you pretending to be a messenger?”

“What? You haven’t heard the rumors?”

“I’ve been cooped up in this shop making a hundred dresses for a week.”

“Ouch. It sounds like you have a story to tell. Mind telling me over lunch?”

Her eyes sparkled.

“That sounds marvelous! I’m starving.”

My stomach chose to growl at that exact moment. Rarity stifled a giggle.

“It sounds like you are too.”

————————

We found a cafe around the corner and ordered lunch. While we were waiting for the food, Rarity told me about the drama of opening her new boutique.

“I can’t believe you nearly closed it!”

“If you had had to make a hundred identical dresses, you would have tried to quit too.”

“Fair point.”

My head pulsed suddenly, reminding me of my headache. I put a hoof to my head. Rarity looked concerned.

“What’s the matter?”

“Just a headache. Luna really did a number on me last night.”

Her face took on a reddish hue.

“And what does that mean?!”

“Horse-feathers! No! Not- I’d never...”

I hid my face in my hooves.

“She’s teaching me how to use regular magic. My first lesson was last night and she was pushing me hard to learn a simple levitation spell. I got a headache from trying so much.”

Rarity sighed, her face beginning to return to normal.

“Really Shade! You need to work on your phrasing.”

“Sorry. I really need to think before I speak.”

“I should say so.”

The food arrived and we began to eat. Rarity looked up at me after taking a couple bites.

“So you’re learning to use magic besides your own?”

I nodded and swallowed my bite.

“I’ve been developing some magic buildup lately, but I don’t want to use my transformation magic. I don’t want to cause a panic.”

“Magic buildup? That’s pretty rare. You really haven’t used magic before last night?”

“Since changing my looks? No.”

“That was several months ago! I couldn’t imagine not using magic for so long!”

“Well hopefully Luna can help fix that.”

“What’s she like as a teacher? I’ve heard about Celestia from Twilight, but Luna must be different.”

“I’d say so. She was really pushing me to the limit to learn that spell. But she never seemed frustrated with me, just...determined.”

“That doesn’t sound too bad. Especially if she remained calm.”

“Yeah...Though her commands did get louder as the lesson went on. She was using her Canterlot Voice by the end.”

Rarity smiled.

“I hate to tell you, but I think she got a little frustrated.”

I chuckled.

“Are you sure?”

We laughed for a minute before returning to our food. Before long though I paused again, looking at Rarity.

“When do you leave town?”

“I’m catching the train tonight.”

“When will you be back?”

She sat up straight and smiled again.

“Soon. I’ll want to check on the boutique. Though I’m confident that Sassy Saddles will do just fine with the business. It might be a little longer.”

My smile faded a little.

“I understand. You wouldn’t want to be traveling here constantly.”

She reached her hoof across the table and put it on top of my hoof.

“I’ll see what I can do. I want to see you more as well. But two shops is a lot to run. And my business has to come first for now. Even though I’d rather spend the time with you.”

My smile returned.

“That’s sweet of you. I understand. You’ve got a business to run. I’m just a bookworm in the castle.”

“Speaking of the castle, what was with the act earlier? You mentioned some rumors?”

I looked around to make sure that nopony was nearby. It was really more of a show for Rarity, but it did relieve me to see we were alone.

“Rumor has it that there’s a mysterious pony advising Celestia.”

“Advising? Do you really?”

I shook my head.

“No. It’s more of a game between us. But that’s the story the rest of the staff is passing around.”

“Don’t you hate having rumors told about you?”

“Nah. It’s not so bad. Plus its building me quite the reputation. Not that that matters to me. It’s just fun to hear what ponies are saying. At this point I’m either an illusion conjured by Celestia, or a shadow brought to life.”

“That does make you sound mysterious!”

I brushed my mane back

“Bet you didn’t know you liked a guy with such mystique.”

She rolled her eyes. I chuckled.

“I hope we can do this again soon.”

Rarity smiled and nodded.

“I’d like that very much. I had fun today.”

“Me too.”

Her smile turned more mischievous.

“I’ll admit, thinking of you as a mysterious stallion is pretty sexy.”

Chills ran up and down my spine.