• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 4,707 Views, 331 Comments

Learning To Live Again - Speedy Quill



A changeling, abandoned to die after the Royal Wedding, is shown that there's life beyond the hive. Laughter, villains, and committee meetings ensue.

  • ...
11
 331
 4,707

Planning

The holiday came and went. I wished it could have gone on forever. Celestia and Luna had been excited to have Rarity join them for Hearth’s Warming Eve. The four of us played games, sang songs, and shared stories of past holidays.

The only bad part was putting up with the two alicorns. They kept throwing me glances as Rarity and I stayed near each other. Every time I said something to her they were passing looks between one another. I wanted to cover their heads with a sheet so I didn’t have to deal with their mischievous grins.

When the holiday came to an end, I sadly let Rarity go home. I walked her to the train station and saw her off.

“I wish we could see each other more.”

“I know darling. I do too.”

“When do you think you’ll be back in town?”

“Soon hopefully.”

“Well what do you say to an official date next time you’re here?”

I got a big smile out of her with that question. She pulled me close and kissed me. It seemed to last forever. When we broke apart I was in a daze.

“So was that a yes?”

She giggled and kissed me again as the train whistle blew.

I walked back to the castle feeling light as a feather. And unfortunately I returned to two nosy Princesses. Celestia was the first to jump me.

“So what happened?”

Luna pressed against her sister.

“Did you kiss goodbye?”

I groaned at the two sisters.

“Are you both fillies? Why is my love life any concern of yours?”

Luna pouted.

“You’re our friend. Why shouldn’t we show interest?”

Celestia was beaming.

“It’s just nice to see you so close to somepony.”

I sighed as we all walked through the throne room.

“Honestly you two. You’re just living vicariously through me, aren’t you?”

“Now why would we do that?”

“You both need to find stallions of your own.”

Luna shrugged.

“Why do that when we can just pester you instead?”

I shook my head and sighed again.

“You two are going to be the death of me.”

——————————

Days went by as I waited for a scroll from Rarity. I attended meetings with Celestia, continued my reading, and spent half-nights practicing magic with Luna. I was beginning to get a better grasp of basic spells, but even using them throughout my day was proving little help. The buildup in my body was already at a point that even casting spells all day wasn’t discharging enough energy. I’d need to learn some more powerful spells if I hoped to lose some of the excess energy. And the headaches were back as if that wasn’t enough to worry about.

It was a warm, sunny day when I finally received a scroll. I was out walking in the gardens, enjoying a few minutes peace when a guard approached me.

“This just arrived for you sir.”

I yanked the scroll from his hooves and smiled.

“Finally! I mean...thank you.”

The guard nodded and retreated towards the castle. I unrolled the scroll, eager to see what it said.

Dear Shade,

A scroll arrived for you a few minutes ago. You’d better come get it before Luna or I read it for you!

Celestia

“I’m going to kill her. That’s all there is to it.”

I crumpled up the scroll and ran back to the castle. I’d have to figure out my revenge later.

The halls were a blur as I sped through them. I got to Celestia’s study and threw the door open. Celestia was sitting behind her desk, reading a book.

“Could you be a little more careful? Those doors are nearly as old as I am.”

“Where is it you sadistic mare?!”

Her brow raised as her eyes met mine.

“It? Oh! Your scroll. Of course.”

She produced the scroll and I grabbed it with my magic. She chuckled as the scroll flew towards me.

“Honestly Shade. I wasn’t going to read it.”

“I know. But that other scroll was cruel.”

“Take it up with Luna. It was her idea.”

I rolled my eyes as I opened what I was hoping was the right scroll this time.

Dear Shade,

I’ll be in Canterlot in two days and free after 4 o’clock. I leave the rest to you.”

Yours, Rarity

I swallowed. The rest was up to me? What was that supposed to mean?!

“You seem worried.”

“Huh? Me? Of course not!”

“You’re a horrible liar.”

“Well...Rarity wants me to decide what we’re going to do for our date.”

“What’s so troubling about that? You’ve done a few things with her when she’s been in Canterlot.”

“I know but...the way she wrote it...it’s all up to me..”

“And that worries you?”

“Damn right it does! What do I do to prepare?!”

“Surely you’ve read something that can help?”

“Not really. Novels that have characters courting one another, yes. Actual advice? Zero.”

Celestia giggled.

“Courting? I haven’t heard it called that in ages.”

“Whatever. The point is that I’m clueless.”

“Hmm...perhaps we need another head for this.”

“No don’t call-“

“Luna!”

The study door opened to reveal the blue alicorn. I frowned.

“How long have you been standing there?”

She wore a sheepish grin.

“Long enough to know you fell for my prank?”

I huffed at her and turned back to Celestia.

“Not to insult the knowledge of your Majestys, but neither of you knows anything about dating.”

“Maybe we don’t have much personal experience, but we have over a thousand years of knowledge. I’m sure some of it will be relevant.”

A sigh left me as I sat down.

“Okay. I’ll bite.”

Luna came around and sat next to Celestia.

“You want your date to go well, right? We can help!”

“How?”

Her smile grew.

“Well first you need to pick an activity. I know that much!”

An activity...

“From stories I’ve read, it seems a meal is pretty common.”

Celestia began to smile as well.

“Perfect! That’s a good choice for a first date. Where do you want to take her?”

“Um...there’s a nice place downtown. But that’s outside my price range. In fact...I don’t have a price range at all.”

Luna looked confused.

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t have money.”

Luna slowly turned to Celestia.

“You never told him about his salary?”

It was Celestia’s turn to look confused.

“Well...I thought it was implied...”

My eyes grew bigger.

“Salary? As in..money earned for performing a job?”

They looked at me and Luna nodded.

“Yes Shade. Everypony in the castle earns bits for their work. Apparently my sister didn’t think that you, a pony that’s never held a job or dealt with a monetary system, would automatically know you were getting paid to be our advisor.”

Celestia’s face began to turn red with embarrassment. She hid her face and groaned.

“I’m so sorry Shade.”

I took a deep breath.

“It’s okay. But...how much am I getting paid? And how much do I have so far?”

Celestia looked up again, her face beginning to return to its normal color.

“Twice the national average with...two months of backpay due?”

My eyes nearly popped out of my skull.

“What am I supposed to do with that much money?!”

Luna shrugged.

“Spend it, save it, place some bets-”

Celestia covered her sister’s mouth.

“I can get an account opened for you with the bank in town. They handle the accounts for all the ponies under our employ. But for now I can get you the bits you’ll need for tonight.”

I nodded.

“Thank you! That means I just need to get a reservation now!”

“What’s the restaurant called?”

“Let’s see...I think it’s...La Lune?”

Luna’s eyes bugged out and she removed Celestia’s hoof.

“La Lune?! The rooftop restaurant downtown?!”

“That’s the one! You know it?”

“It’s inspired by my night and the moon! And it’s one of the fanciest restaurants in Canterlot. Did Rarity mention that to you?”

“I think so...yeah! She said she hoped to go there one day because of how...exclusive it is...Damn.”

Luna rolled her eyes.

“And you have how long?”

“Two days.”

Luna shook her head and looked at Celestia.

“Back to square one.”

Celestia looked thoughtful.

“Perhaps not. I have an idea. Though...it’s not an entirely honest one.”

Luna and I began to smile at the same time. I leaned forward.

You have a slightly dishonest plan?”

“Is it such a shock that I have a rebellious streak?”

Luna tried to keep herself from giggling.

“Since when?”

“Do you want to hear my idea or not?”

I leaned forward even more.

“Don’t leave me in suspense Celestia! Tell me!”

A grin grew on her face as she began to divulge her “rebellious” plan.

———————————

That evening I prepared a scroll.

Rarity,

I’ve got everything planned out and can’t wait for you to be here. I’m excited for you to see what I prepared. By the way, bring something nice to wear. There’s a dress code where we’re going.

Shade

I rolled the scroll up and walked out to my balcony. Luna had taught me a spell to send scrolls recently, but this was my first time really using it long distance. I concentrated on the destination and the scroll disappeared into the air. I was left looking at the stars.

My smile wouldn’t go away as I thought of my upcoming date. More than anything though, I was excited to see Rarity again. It was getting harder to say goodbye every time she went back to Ponyville. I hoped that we could fix that someday.

I heard a burst of magic above me and looked up. A scroll! It descended to me and I opened it.

It’s a date.

Love, Rarity

I stared at the parchment in shock. Had she meant to write that? Surely it was a mistake... Then again...what if it wasn’t?

I felt a warm wave wash over me. I’d never felt anything like it. This was different than any emotion I’d felt before. I felt my whole body tremble slightly. It was as if my body were trying to explode. And just when I couldn’t take it anymore-

“Ouch!”

I lifted a hoof to my head. Damn headaches. They’d be the death of me. I tried to recapture the feeling from before, but it had dissipated for the most part. There was just a warm feeling surrounding my heart. I could feel the organ beating in my chest. The pieces fell into place as I realized what was happening.

I was feeling love.

A smile crept back to my face as I sat under the night sky. I was actually feeling love, not consuming somepony else’s. It was the most wonderful sensation I’d ever felt in my life.

-------------------------------------------

The next day I went to attempt a last minute reservation. I wasn't normally one for lying, but this was more like stretching the truth. At least that was my take on it.

The entrance to La Lune was an alley between two unassuming buildings. From what Luna had told me, the buildings housed the kitchen. The rest of the restaurant was entirely on the roof. I walked up the stairs to the rooftop. There was a stand at the top of the stairs with a mare behind it.

“I’m sorry. We aren’t open quite yet. How can I help you sir?”

I swallowed hard. It was time to see if Celestia’s plan would work. I altered my voice, throwing on my Canterlot accent.

“I’ve been sent to find a suitable location for an upcoming event. This establishment is one my employer wishes to consider, but wanted a firsthoof opinion. Unfortunately they couldn’t make it, so I’m here to craft a recommendation.”

“And the name on the reservation?”

“That’s the problem. A reservation was never made it seems. Though that’s not surprising with all the meetings he has to attend. It probably slipped his mind while one of the Princesses was asking him his opinion on- Oh! Forget I said that!”

I could tell I had piqued her interest.

“He works with the Princesses?”

I began to act panicky.

“Please don’t say anything! If the Right Hoof knew that I- Oh no! Forget I said that! Curse my lips!”

That did it. The pony’s eyes had grown to the size of saucers.

“Could you wait here for a moment sir?

She disappeared for a few minutes. Celestia’s elaborate story was working so far! I couldn’t believe she’d come up with such a lie so quickly. The mare reappeared leading a stallion towards me. The stallion had a big smile.

“Welcome to La Lune my friend! I understand this is a special visit?”

I smiled back.

“Yes. I’ve been sent to scout out a location for-“

I looked around as if to make sure we were alone. I leaned closer to the stallion and whispered.

“Princess Celestia’s birthday. The Right Hoof is setting up a surprise for her.”

The stallion’s eyes were sparkling.

“And he wants to use my restaurant?!”

“Quite possibly yes. He wanted to see it for himself, but unfortunately couldn’t make it. So he sent me in his place. I’m to report if this establishment meets his expectations. But I wasn’t aware that he forgot to make the reservation-“

“Say no more my friend! I’m sure he was far too busy to worry about such a small thing. I will personally make sure you have a table tonight!”

I shook my head.

“I wouldn’t want to inconvenience you! Nor take a table away from somepony who has a proper reservation.”

“It’s no trouble. We can squeeze one more table up here!”

“Well...if you’re sure. Would it be an inconvenience if I brought a companion? I hate to eat alone.”

He chuckled.

“So do I. Of course you can!”

He turned to the mare.

“Put down a party of two. What’s the name?”

“Shadow Hoof. I’ll be back at 6:30.”

“Excellent! I’m sure we’ll meet your expectations!”

I thanked the stallion and began to descend the stairs. A sigh escaped me halfway down and I whispered under my breath.

“Thank Celestia that worked! Literally!”

I had done everything just as the Princess had described. It was a bald-faced lie, but it had gotten me a table at the most exclusive restaurant in town!

“Joke’s on you though Celestia. Now I’m actually going to have your surprise birthday here.”

I chuckled to myself. Her lie was going to become very true to her shock. Payback for that fake scroll.