• Published 7th Aug 2012
  • 768 Views, 1 Comments

Of Darkest Days - SilverSilence167



The actions of a soldier could save or destroy all of Equestria.

  • ...
 1
 768

Chapter Three: Operation Retuning Grace (Part 1)


"Well, you did it." said Commander Stone. "I should have sent in more, but you did it."
The mid day sun shone down upon a funeral. It was for a soldier, call sign ArchAngel, who died on a suicide mission destroying a bridge.
A single cello could be heard in the service. Played by Octavia Philharmonica.
Any soldier who died in valor buried in Equestria was laid in an unmarked grave. The name was remembered by those around them.
"Ready!" yelled Stone. "Fire!"
Seven shots rang out in unison.
"Fire!" "Fire!" the infamous 21-salute.
The guests included both Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, six young mares, a radio DJ, and a single cellist. The only others were soldiers and other ponies who knew of the mission.
Operation One-Way was the turning point for the war that for almost three years, had turned man against his own. ArchAngel had single handedly demolished a supply bridge supporting the Purian forces western flank.
"Umm, sir?" said a soldier to Commander Stone.
"Hmm?"
"We need you back at control, sir."
He only nodded and turned without a word. He walked to the helicopter and flew back to the control center.
Slowly the visitors left to attend to their own agendas. All but one. A single strawberry pink maned with a light yellow body mare. Fluttershy.
"Are you alright?" asked Twilight Sparkle.
She only nodded.
"When you are done here, you can stay with me as long as you want. Okay?" said Twilight.
Fluttershy nodded once more.
The dark purple mare left her and began walking back to her home.
A single tear ran down Fluttershy's face. Her head lowered, "You lied." she said quietly. "You said you were coming back." she began to silently cry. "You-you said you were going to be safe." she sobbed. She laid down and cried. It hurt. It hurt to know she knew someone that made the ultimate sacrifice to save her home. She cried in pain, and in mourning.
A gentle hoof grabbed her shoulder.
"You alright hun??" asked Applejack.
Fluttershy stood and wiped her eyes, immediately she collapsed into Applejacks shoulder and went into a sobbing fit. Applejack held her until she could breath again.
"Come on." said Applejack. "Let's go home."
"Umm, o-okay, I'm staying with Twilight actually." said Fluttershy through her tears.
"Okay, sugarcube." said Appejack with sympathy. "Let's go."
Fluttershy looked back at the new grave. She nodded and turned to walk back to Ponyville.
....
"Commander. Celestia wants you to give her a full report on Operation One-Way. And she needs to know if you are going to initiate Operation Returning Grace." said a comm operator.
Stone grunted. "Tell her, Operation One-Way has already been fully declassified. And we are going ahead with Returning Grace."
"Sir?" asked the comm operator.
"You heard me. Do as I said." ordered Stone.
"Yes sir." the comm operator obeyed.
"And one other thing." he said.
"Yes?"
"Gather the troops out front." Stone said. "I want to address my soldiers."
The operator nodded.
Stone walked outside and stood before the several hundred men and women of his army.
"Soldiers. We are here for one reason. To smash the Puroan rebels!" He yelled. "We came here to explore the new world. To make the Equestians our allies. It's our fault this started. Now we finish it! It's time to take the fight to the enemy!" he paused for a few seconds. "We have all seen what one man can do! It's time to show the world what an army can do! We are going to move onto Purian turf! I cannot say we will all make it. But we will show everyone, that we are not going down without a fight!" he boomed. "We end what we have started! We move tomorrow! Watch each other's backs. And I promise, that we will arise from the ashes victorious!" he said. "May you go with courage. And return with honor."
The soldiers exploded with roars and cheers.
Activity in the command center went through the roof. Men rushing to make last minute amendments, getting their weapons and armor ready, and getting the squad mates together as a unit.
Stone looked on them with pride. "These are the bravest men, I have ever known." he muttered to himself.
"But no ArchAngel." a comm operator commented.
"Men like him, only come about, once in a hundred years." Stone replied. "But, it gives the men hope, and the civies a reason to keep us around."
"Sir, Celestia wishes to take council with you immediately." said a messenger.
Stone nodded and left for the heli-field.
...
"Tell me of this Operation Returning Grace." asked Princess Luna.
"It is our strategy to wipe out the Purian forces, once and for all." said Stone. "The first stage will consist of an all out assault on the Purians western flank. Reports show it has been significantly weakened after," he paused and took a breath, "after Operation One-Way. We think they are withdrawing from the region to regain some energy toward their command center."
"When will you act commander?" asked Celestia.
"Tomorrow." said Stone, "Tonight, our aircraft will pound the enemy Anti-Air batteries. And from there, they will be supporting the ground elements tomorrow with what remains."
Luna looked at the ground for a minute, "What do you mean , with what remains?" she asked.
"Well, the Purians haven't been using rifles to knock our air power out of the sky. Reports indicate that they have set heavy machine cannons to defend themselves from any airstrikes. Our pilots know what they are up against. They are ready." replied Stone gravely.
"Their courage knows no bounds, does it?" asked Luna.
Stone smiled slightly, "I can't tell you, because I don't know."
"What is your estimate of completion?" asked Celestia.
"Three weeks for a total victory." Stone replied.
"And casualty rates?" asked Celestia.
Stone took a deep breath, "I can't say, estimates are indicating medium to heavy losses. But they have been wrong before."
Celestia looked to Stone, "Tell your men, they have the respect of all Equestria."
Stone nodded.
"And commander," said Luna, "Thank you."
Stone again only nodded.
"You have our permission to proceed with Operation Returning Grace." said Celestia strongly.
Stone left the palace and returned to the command center.
.....
"Are the air crews set?"
"Yes sir."
"Launch the air assault."
"Yes sir."
The comm center was filled with new chatter as pilots prepped to attack Purian anti-air batteries.
This was the preamble to Operation: Returning Grace. In the morning the ground forces would launch the ground war and in due time, eradicate the Purian forces.
The sound of strike helicopter engines revving up could be heard, like the bass thudding from a speaker.
The room shook as the first helicopters passed overhead to make the nights first run.
Stone looked out the window at the crews still on the ground.
A white pony stood near the air field holding something in it's hoof.
"Who the hell is that?" he asked.
"Umm, some radio Dj from Ponyville, sir." answered one of the operators.
"What's he doing?" Stone demanded.
"She, asked some of the pilots if she could record the engine sounds. Apparently she wants to make some sort of dubstep-electro mix I don't know, with it."
Stone grunted, "And they agreed?"
"Yes sir."
Stone shook his head and shrugged.
Nothing could have readied the pilots for this night.
Stone looked at the fuselage on some of the crafts taking to the air, some laden with munitions causing them to groan and shudder as they took to the air. Others lifted off in a graceful leap.
They had marks on them. Some depicting a cartoon of just random things, others carried words, names, or sayings.
Stone looked at a heavy gunship particularly close, "Malleum Angelorum". A depiction of an angel carrying a hammer followed the phrase.
"Hammer of the Angels." Stone whispered.
"Who is marking our tech?" he asked.
"A mare named Rarity, sir."
"Why is she doing that?"
The operator cleared his throat, "Well, before ArchAngel, left, she marked, o-or gave him a new piece of armor. Ever since, soldiers and pilots have been asking her to make modifications to their armor sir."
"What kind of modifications?" Stone asked, inquiry heavy in his voice.
"Just making engraving, adding some personal effects to it. Nothing serious." replied the operator hastily.
Stone began to think about it. "Well, not much I can do about it I guess." he stated.
The last of the strike helicopters left the field and raced toward an uncertain horizon. A faint glow could be seen over the canopy of the Everfree forest.
"Are the ground forces ready for combat?" demanded Stone.
"Yes sir, all teams are ready for first contact at your command. Sir." confirmed the operator.
Stone nodded.
....
"Sir, the first of the helo's are returning. We are getting reports of 67% of all aircraft damaged or lost."
"Damn it. At that rate we won't have enough to cover the assault teams." Stone hissed.
"Without any ground vehicle support sir, even with all our air crews ready we wouldn't be able to give support to the teams. Not constant at least."
Stone shook his head, "It doesn't matter. We are going to move against the Purians, support or not."
The operator nodded and returned to his work.
Stone looked as his men began to gather in their combat formations. Squads stood shoulder to shoulder. The rifles leaning on the shoulder plates gleamed in the light of the towers. The leaders mouthing orders was the only movement that could be seen.
Stone nodded. The men raised their weapons, and charged.
.....
Stone thought for a minute. "Get my transport combat ready. Now." he ordered.
The comm operator nodded and radioed the mechanics team.
The radios erupted with contact calls, yelling for medics, and giving coordinates for crews to hit. A bad start to a bad day.
....
"Sir, your transport is ready. What are you thinking?"
"I'm thinking I need to be out there along side my soldiers." He said in return.
"Uhh, sir? Is that allowed?" The comm operator asked hesitantly.
"It doesn't matter. I am going to provide support to them, and there isn't anything my superiors can do about it." Said Stone with a hint of deviance in his words.
The comm operator shrugged. "Yes sir. You better get down there then."
Stone nodded and marched out of the comm center, boarding his heavily armed and armored helicopter he said, "Stay on the canopy and keep it steady. Understood?"
The pilot nodded and gave a hearty salute.
The helicopter struggled to lift itself from the ground, the nose mounted twenty millimeter cannon swung around in its hub, testing the arc it held. Stone was harnessed on the side, he was stationed on a 7.62 millimeter minigun. He would put down massive fire as the helicopter would pass by, strafing with the cannon and rockets slung to its sides.
"Commander Stone, we are moving into Purian controlled air space now." Said the pilot.
"Confirmed. Keep it steady and let them have it." He ordered.
"Yes sir. Arming weapons now."
The barrels of the minigun gave a quick spin and an audible click was heard.
"Your station is now armed sir." The pilot reported.
Stone shifted the gun on its swinging mount.
Time to get some payback.

Comments ( 1 )

Interesting story, looking forward to more.

Login or register to comment