• Published 1st Jan 2020
  • 4,712 Views, 2,770 Comments

Thomas and Friends: The Retold Adventures - The Blue EM2



Picture a Land where the Sky is so Blue, a Storybook Land of Wonder...

  • ...
18
 2,770
 4,712

PreviousChapters Next
Steam Roller

In the few weeks since Peter Sam got his new fancy Giesl ejector, Mr Percival took the opportunity to upgrade Sir Handel as well. He oversaw the fitting of a new pair of trailing wheels with broad tires, which make it easier for him to stay on the track, and also mean he runs much more smoothly. However, much like Peter Sam's special funnel, Sir Handel's new wheels caused him a great deal of ridicule. One morning, the engines were teasing him over it, same as ever.

"Oh, here's Sir Handel!" called Peter Sam, keen to get his own back after having been teased mercilessly over his drainpipe chimney. "Look at his great big steamroller wheels! I bet he could flatten tarmac with those!"

"Be quiet," Sir Handel snapped. "You're just jealous of my smooth ride. Besides, I may have extra wheels, but at least I don't have a soup can welded to my chimney!"

Peter Sam fell silent, but Silverstream chose to speak up instead. "Don't worry," she said. "He's only joking. That chimney made him a lot more reliable, and I'm certain those wheels will make you more reliable too."

"Do you hear that?" Sir Handel called. "My wheels are special, as I can go faster more safely than any other engine!"

"And hopefully not fall through the track this time," Gallus groaned. He remembered well the time that Sir Handel had derailed just outside Blue Mountain Quarry by falling through the track.

Skarloey was getting rather tired of hearing the engines arguing about how one part was better than another, and so he had an idea. "Why, Sir Handel," he said, with a sly smile. "You are just the engine to tackle George!"

"Who's George?" Sir Handel asked, confused. He had never heard of a George.

"He's a great big green steamroller," Skarloey explained. "He's very rude, and not a nice machine at all. Why, there he is over there!"

A giant steamroller was rumbling back and forth, and came to a stop just next to the shed. "Railways are no good!" he thundered. "Turn them into roads! Railways are no good! Turn them into roads!"

Sat at his controls was a young girl, with pink skin and blue hair. She also had red eyes, and wore a white shirt with a green dress over it, as well as blue shoes. She glanced over to the drivers of the engines. "Oh golly!" she said, with a sarcastic smile. "I feel so sorry for you all."

"Why?" asked Ocellus.

"Because you'll all be unemployed soon, when we've built a great big motorway across the Island!" the girl laughed. "Won't you look silly?"

Gallus sighed. "Just go away, you!" he said. "Besides, shouldn't you be in school, Shirley?"

Sir Handel looked over to Skarloey. "By Falcon, you're right!" he said. "That steamroller is positively dreadful. Who was that girl driving him?"

"That's Clair Gray," Smoulder explained. "But she's often referred to as Cozy Glow. If I'll be honest, she's a complete brat."

Gallus looked firm, his face set in a grim line. "Don't you worry," he said. "They can mess with me, but they don't mess with my friends. Sir Handel and I shall sent them packing."



A while later, Sir Handel encountered George at a level crossing. Cozy Glow looked at him with a cute face, an expression not shared by George. "So," the steamroller said, "you're Sir Handel then. And Gallus."

Sir Handel was not happy. "And you, I suppose, are George. And that's Cozy Glow up in the driver's seat?"

Cozy shrugged. "The sky is also blue. Care to state the obvious any further?"

"You two gallivant about, thinkling you're better than us," Geerge snorted.

Sir Handel smiled. "Actually," he said snarkily, "I am, and so is Gallus. Goodbye!" And off he went on his way up the line.

George looked furious, whilst Cozy looked equally angry. "Why, that little upstart!" she snarled. "We're gonna give him a walloping he'll never forget!" Throwing the speed switch, they set off up the road.

Later that day, Sir Handel was steaming down the line with a special train. The rest of the line's trains had run, and this was the last working to do. He crossed over the road, and ran alongside it. The gap between the road and the railway was very narrow, as the road had newly been widened, and this made moving about very difficult. Just up ahead, he saw George steaming for home, and tried to attract his attention. "Peep! Peep!" he whistled. "Hello!"

George took absolutely no notice. His eyes were on the road ahead of him, as he was concerned about the clearance. Sir Handel moved alongside him, shouting furiously. "Get out of the way, you roadhog!" he shouted.

"I don't move for imitation steamrollers!" George boomed.

"Get back!" Cozy shouted, looking concerned. The road was now even closer to the line.

"Or what?" Gallus smirked. "You're gonna go crying to your mommy?"

The insults flew back and forth for several minutes, until something bad happened. George suddenly swerved to the left, and crashed into a wagon that was at the back of the train, derailing it. Sir Handel slowed down and was brought to a stop by the impact, his wheels spinning furiously in place. Behind him lay the wrecks of two derailed coal trucks. "That was your fault!" the blue tank engine shouted.

"OUR FAULT?!" Cozy Glow screeched. "You've ruined everything! If you had been watching where you were going, you wouldn't have got in my way!"

"It was most certainly yours," George added.

"Is not!"

"Is too!"

"IS NOT!"

"IS TOO!"

Everybody was arguing loudly about who caused the crash. Suddenly, a certain policeman turned up.

"What's going on here?" he asked.

Gallus looked at him. "Before you ask, we are NOT fitting Sir Handel with cowcatchers and sideplates!" he said.

But everybody stopped arguing, and instead got to work cleaning up the mess. The next day, workers put fences into place along the line between the road and the railway, to prevent cars from straying onto the track. Then they left, taking George and Cozy Glow with them. But Sir Handel and Gallus thought they had made George go away, and they both talked endlessly about it for days!

Ocellus looked at Skarloey. "This plan backfired somewhat, didn't it?" she said.

"I agree," said Skarloey sadly. "He's worse than he ever was!"

"Never mind," Rusty sighed. "He'll forget about it- eventually. We'll just have to think of something else."

"Look!" Sandbar called. "There's a bunch of boys coming over to the shed!"

Sure enough, a crowd of children wandered over, and began pointing at Sir Handel. "Look!" said one. "That's the engine who tried to race a steamroller, but the steamroller nearly beat him!"

"Hear that?" said another. "You were nearly beaten by a girl."

"I take offence!" shouted Smoulder.

"Where would you take this fence?" Duncan asked, completely missing the point.

"That's not what happened!" Gallus snapped. But safe to say, they never mention steamrollers now!

Author's Note:

Fun fact; Gallus calling Cozy Glow 'Shirley' is a nod to the fact Cozy Glow's appearance is modelled on that of Shirley Temple.

PreviousChapters Next