• Published 1st Jan 2020
  • 4,693 Views, 2,770 Comments

Thomas and Friends: The Retold Adventures - The Blue EM2



Picture a Land where the Sky is so Blue, a Storybook Land of Wonder...

  • ...
18
 2,770
 4,693

PreviousChapters Next
Edward's Exploit

Some visitors had come to the island in order to visit the railways, and see some of its more obscure sights. They had travelled on Thomas' branchline, flown over the island on Harold, and had even flown down the Skarloey railway on a gravity powered slate train. Bertie the Bus and Spike took them from Crovan's Gate to Knapford, so that they could travel on Edward to Brendam. The tour manager had specifically requested Edward for the trip, as he was the oldest operating standard gauge engine on the island, and as a result carried a certain novelty value about him. But Edward was having problems. Sparks flew from the rails as he tried to get the coaches moving, his wheels slipping furiously as he moved forward. Steam shot into the air as he struggled out of the station.

"Did you see him straining like that?" Henry asked.

"I hope Edward is OK," Fluttershy said. "I'm really worried he may get into trouble, and that would hurt Applejack!"

"There's nothing to worry about!" James exclaimed. "Edward does seem to be having trouble, but I doubt he'll have many problems."

Fluttershy pailed. "I'm certain I can find something to worry about," she said sadly. But then she smiled. "But it won't be Edward!"

Gordon snorted. "Rubbish!" he said. "Edward's putting on a truly pathetic performance. He should give up and be preserved, before it's too late. From what I remember there's a place called Lakeside where another Furness Railway engine lives."

Duck was furious. "Shut up!" he snapped. "And I don't care what Common Sense Media has to say about that! Edward's better than any of us."

"You tell 'em, Duck!" Apple Bloom chorused. "Eddie and mah big sis will be able ta keep goin', no matter what!"

"That's the right spirit from both of you!" BoCo smiled. "Edward may be old, but he'll surprise us all one day."

Just then, Edward shot forward, and began rolling smoothly down the mainline. "I've done it! I've done it!" he cried, with a smile on his face.

"Yee-hah!" Applejack cried. "We'll show 'em any day!" They sped along the line smoothly, and reached Brendam with minutes to spare. All in all, it was a good run, and Bill and Ben, as well as Babs and Sunflower, were delighted to see the visitors. They loved being photographed (well, Bill and Ben did. The jury's still out on whether Babs and Sunflower liked it), and both the engines took the visitors on a tour down to the China Clay Pits in a pair of brakevans. They showed them everything and anything, and the visitors had a most splendid time, being very impressed.



Afterwards, Edward and Applejack took the visitors back to the junction at Wellsworth, and then reversed directions to run to Vicarstown, where another train was waiting to take them onwards to Preston. As they ran along the line, the weather changed. It had previously been sunny, but then, slowly but surely, drops of rain began to fall from the sky. The rails became wet, and everywhere you looked it was wet, wet, wet. The situation went from already bad enough to even worse, as Edward's directional sanders failed completely. The guard rode on the front of the engine to drop sand onto the rails, but this had little effect. Most of it missed the rails completely and ended up in the ballast or on top of the sleepers. Then, it happened.

Edward's wheels started spinning uncontrollably. Applejack shut the regulator and reduced the cutoff, but to no effect. "The boiler's primed!" she shouted to the guard. And then it happened. There was a sickening crack, a loud bang, and the sound of tearing metal.

The train came to a screeching halt. "That doesn't look good," Edward said, feeling quite ill indeed. Applejack walked alongside him and inspected the damage. It was very bad. The splashers were torn and bent into the wrong shapes, and a crucial part was missing.

"Eddie, this is pretty bad," she said. "Yer inside cylinders are connected ta the drivin' wheels by a pair of rods, and linked ta them are a pair of cylinder valves. These are held on with a crankpin. One o' these sheered off, and the rod flew upwards, damagin' the siderods and breakin' the splashers."

"Is there a solution?" Edward asked, desparately. "I don't want to let these passengers down!"

Applejack took out a screwdriver and a hammer, and began to remove some parts. "Ah've removed the siderods on the damaged sides, in order ta reduce the strain. The only problem is, this means yer like a single wheeler." She then walked back along the train, adjusting the bars that held the couplings together, and then walked back to the front. "Ah've also loosened the couplin's on the coaches, so you have an easier time startin' away with yer coaches." She jumped back into the cab. "Can ya get these people home?"

"I'm going to try," Edward replied. "You can hold me to that." And sure enough, his wheels slipping furiously, he moved forward. The first coach lurched forward violently, followed by the second, and then the third. Soon, all five coaches were being pulled smoothly along the line.

"I've done it! I've done it! I've done it!" Edward cried. His beat was steady, and he blasted forward along the line, his wheels no longer slipping.

"Whoohoo!" Applejack cried. "Attaboy! Keep it up, Eddie!"

It took them a long time, but at long last, battered, weary, but unbeaten and triumphant, Edward came to a stop in the platform at Vicarstown. A Royal Scot was waiting to take the train back over to the mainland, and whistled.

Sir Toppham Hatt looked furious. "What sort of time do you call this?" he said. But nobody cared, not least Edward, and upon learning of Edward's brave act, Sir Toppham Hatt immediately forgot to be angry. After issuing an apology for his outburst, he and the passengers thanked Edward and Applejack profusely, and that night, when they returned to the shed, Duck and BoCo saw to it that that Edward was left in peace, whilst Apple Bloom praised her sister to the heavens and back again. I only hope this hero worship doesn't get too unhealthy!

Author's Note:

Arguably on of Edward's best stories, this really shows him when his character shines through. HiT would have done well to refer to this when writing him in Edward Strikes Out...

PreviousChapters Next