• Published 1st Jan 2020
  • 4,699 Views, 2,770 Comments

Thomas and Friends: The Retold Adventures - The Blue EM2



Picture a Land where the Sky is so Blue, a Storybook Land of Wonder...

  • ...
18
 2,770
 4,699

PreviousChapters Next
Edward, Gordon, and Henry

Gordon was often used to pull the Wild Nor’Wester, the long, heavy express train usually formed of Collett ‘Sunshine’ bogie coaches. This ran from Tidmouth to Vicarstown, calling at Knapford along the way, and Gordon was very proud. This was because he was the only engine on the line strong enough to pull the train on his own.

Today, the train was completely full, and Sir Toppham Hatt was riding as he had an important meeting with Network Rail in Vicarstown to attend. In the cab of Gordon were Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. Fluttershy had chosen to work with Rainbow Dash as otherwise it meant she had no work to go to, as Henry was still shut up in the tunnel.

The train raced along the line, bogies bouncing and rolling as the carriages rumbled along. Gordon was seeing if he could hit the line speed limit of 75 miles an hour. “Hurry along! Hurry along!” he called to the coaches.

“Trickety trock! Trickety trock! Trickety trock!” they replied, which was mildly unnerving given the fact they had no faces and, by logical extension, no mouths. However, nobody on Sodor seemed to pay this much thought at all, as talking vehicles were seen as normal.

Toward the end of his run, Gordon raced toward Ballahoo Tunnel, where Henry was bricked up as a result of being afraid of the rain.

Henry was very miserable. “Oh dear,” he said to himself. “Why did I worry so about that silly rain spoiling my paint and red stripes? Will Sir Toppham Hatt and Fluttershy ever forgive me for what I said to them, and let me out of here to pull trains again?”

Meanwhile, Gordon flew down the line. “I’ll whistle loudly at Henry when I pass him!” he said, with a smile. “And won’t he be sad!”

Rainbow Dash put her head out of the side of the cab, checking the signals ahead. “Good, we’re clear into Vicarstown,” she smiled.

But then there was a loud bang. Steam poured out of a gap in the regulator housing, and the safety valve went off in a thunderous roar.

Fluttershy shrieked at the loud noise and hid underneath the fireman’s seat, as Rainbow Dash brought Gordon to a safe and controlled stop just outside the tunnel.



Gordon looked dumbfounded. “What has happened to me?” he asked. “I feel so weak!”

Rainbow Dash climbed onto the running board and took a look. “The safety valve has gone,” she said. “You won’t be able to pull the train anymore as there’s nothing to properly regulate boiler pressure. Sorry Gordon.”

Gordon sighed sadly. “Oh, the indignity,” he said sadly. “We were going so well too. Look, there’s Henry laughing at me!”

Sure enough, there was Henry, grinning like an idiot from buffer to buffer and chortling like a traction engine.

Sir Toppham Hatt came up to see what the problem was, and huffed when Rainbow Dash explained the problem. “I never liked these big engines, that always go wrong,” he sighed. “Send for another engine at once.”



Whilst they waited for the guard to phone Tidmouth yard, Rainbow Dash moved Gordon off the mainline and into a siding, as he had just enough steam to move there. Once they were in position, she dropped his fire and let him cool down, wiping her forehead of sweat.

At the yard, Applejack heard her mobile phone go, and answered it. “Applejack here, how can Ah help ya?” she asked.

“Can you bring Edward to Ballyhoo tunnel?” the voice of the guard asked on the other end. "Gordon has had a bit of a prang and we need another engine to pull the train into Vicarstown.”

Applejack smiled. “Sure thing!” She hung up, and opened Edward’s regulator. “C’mon partner, we got a train ta rescue!”



They arrived, and moved Edward onto the front of the train, coupling him up as they did so.

“That’s no good!” Gordon snapped. “Edward can’t possibly pull the train! It’s simply not possible!”

“Do you have an off switch?” Rainbow Dash asked.



Edward pulled and puffed and puffed and pulled, but no matter what he did the train simply would not move. No matter how hard he tried, the train was simply too heavy. They gave up in the end, Applejack wiping her brow as she did so.

“By the eight lifetimes of Granny Smith, that train is heavy!” she exclaimed in frustration, her face red with either anger or the heat.

“Told you,” Gordon said rudely.

“Unless you have a better suggestion, I strongly advise you stay quiet!” Sir Toppham Hatt snapped.

“Why not let Henry try?” Gordon suggested. “He can pull it easily, being a 5MT.”

“That’s a marvellous idea!” Sir Toppham Hatt said. “I’ll ask him!”

Sir Toppham Hatt walked over to Henry. “Will you help pull this train Henry?” he asked.

Henry smiled. “I will sir,” he replied. “But there’s someone I want to apologise to.”

Fluttershy then walked over to him. “Everything’s OK Henry,” she said. “I forgive you. Now then, shall we put it behind us?”

“Yes!” Henry exclaimed. “Most certainly!”



With some spare coal from Gordon, they relit Henry’s fire, cleaned the rust off his motion and cylinders, and soon got him moving again. Even though they had oiled him round, it soon became apparent that months out of use had taken their toll on him.

“Oh! I’m so stiff, I’m so stiff!” he groaned, as he backed out of the tunnel, caked in soot and grime.

Sir Toppham Hatt called to Fluttershy. “Run him up and down a few times to ease out any parts. And don’t forget to use a turntable!”



Sure enough, Henry got back, and was coupled to the front of the train. Applejack opened Edward’s regulator and moved him onto the front, backing him onto the train and coupling him to Henry.

Fluttershy called over to Rainbow Dash. “Do you want to ride in Henry’s cab, Rainbow Dash?”

“Sorry Fluttershy,” Rainbow Dash called back. “I need to ensure Gordon’s OK. Thanks for the offer though!”

After that, Applejack sounded Edward’s whistle. “Peep peep peep!” the blue 4-4-0 called. “I’m ready!”

Fluttershy responded with Henry’s whistle. “Peep peep peep! So am I!” the green 4-6-0 replied.

Applejack laughed. “C’mon y’all!” she cried. “Let’s get this wagon train rollin’!”

With a roar and a clatter, the two engines got the heavy train moving down the line and into the tunnel. Smoke and steam poured into the air with the fury of a volcanic eruption, as the two engines sailed along.

“We’ve done it! We’ve done it!” called Henry.

“You’ve done it, hurrah! You’ve done it, hurrah!” cried the coaches.

The train flew along the line, and Sir Toppham Hatt poked his head out of a window in order to see how fast they were going as steam poured out of the engine’s funnels. This was a mistake, as his hat flew off and landed in a nearby field, where a passing ram ate it for its dinner.

He sighed. “I hope nobody got a picture of that,” he sighed.

They stopped at Vicarstown, the end of North Western running rights, and the passengers all said thank you to both Edward and Henry. On the platform, the two drivers spoke to one another.

“Ah don’t think Ah’ve really spoken to ya,” Applejack said, extending her hand. “Ah’m Applejack.”

Fluttershy took her hand. “I’m Fluttershy, nice to meet you.”



Edward, Gordon, Henry, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Applejack are all good friends now, and Henry is no longer afraid of the rain. He knows now that the best way to keep clean is not to hide in tunnels, but to ask Fluttershy to rub him down at the end of a hard working day.

Author's Note:

Fun fact; Awdry originally wanted The Three Railway Engines to conclude with The Sad Story of Henry. However, his publishers insisted on a happy ending, and good of them too.

PreviousChapters Next