• Published 3rd Feb 2019
  • 20,312 Views, 3,199 Comments

A Crafter's Dream (Discontinued) - ruthim345



It'd been years. Years since the war. Steve was the only one left. Everyone else was gone. He lived, he fought. Rinse, repeat. All he wants is a second chance. And now, he'll get his chance.

  • ...
139
 3,199
 20,312

PreviousChapters Next
A Crafter's Dream Ch. 83: Cloudsdale (Part 2)

Now, without further ado, I present,

A Crafter’s Dream

“Are! You! Bucking! Insane!?” Dash yelled, emphasizing each word with a punch to Steve’s shoulder. Not hard enough to hurt, of course, but the mare put just enough force behind her hits to show the Crafter that she was serious.

“What? It was the best idea I could think of at the time.” Steve replied, not reacting to her punches in the slightest. “And don’t worry, I’ll make sure to take the same way down so I don’t leave a giant pillar of dirt in the middle of nowhere.” As he spoke, Steve looked over the edge of the cloud down at said pillar of dirt. It had taken him the better part of a few hours and two broken diamond shovels to collect enough dirt from the Everfree to reach Cloudsdale via elevatoring. (A technique used by many Minecraftians to get to hard to reach places, elevatoring is the idea of jumping and placing a block beneath you to build a pillar upwards, usually getting the builder of said pillar to the desired location.) “Yikes. That is high.” He muttered to himself upon seeing the ground so far below.

“That’s not the bucking point!” Dash continued to yell. “Do you even realize how dangerous that was!?”

“Well of course I did, especially after the 30 block mark. After that, it was just a matter of not looking down.” Steve remarked, a small smirk on his face. “And in my defense, if I’d known things like that,” He pointed at the hot air balloon resting on the cloud nearby. “existed, I would’ve taken one, rather than the admittedly exhausting alternative.”

“Well, if we’d known you were coming along, we could’ve given you a lift.” Twilight spoke up. The Crafter nodded, though he looked a little confused.

“Thanks. But, if you don’t mind me asking, did none of you see me on your way up?” He asked, looking at the four mares. “I mean, did the giant dirt pillar not catch any of your guys’ eyes?”

“We were, uh, kinda focused on surprising Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.” Applejack responded, rubbing the back of her head with a hoof. “Ah imagine it was the same with Rarity.”

“Yes. I admit, the idea of shocking Rainbow Dash was at the forefront of my mind, though I can’t fathom how I missed your tower.”

“Well, I guess you wouldn’t exactly be looking for something if you don’t know it’s there to begin with.” Steve reasoned before getting to his feet and shrugging. “Eh. Personally, I don’t particularly care. It’s not like I’m really friends with you five, so there’s no real reason I should’ve expected a ride anyways.” The words were said nonchalantly, with no real bite to them, as if the Crafter had simply been stating a fact. This didn’t stop the mares standing on the cloud around him to flinch slightly. Even Dash, anger momentarily forgotten, winced as well, though more in sympathy for her friends.

Steve mentally kicked himself for his harsh, albeit honest, words. ‘Fuck me, I’m a moron.’

‘Only sometimes Steve.’ Onyx replied.

“I uh, I mean that in the best way possible.” The Crafter spoke, trying to reassure the mares. “I mean, you guys aren’t really bad peo, er, bad ponies, it’s just that, except for Rainbow Dash, I don’t really know you guys. Sure, that’s probably my fault, all things considered, but I still don’t really know, nor have I really talked to any of you guys casually. Again, with the exception of Dash and kind of Ms. Applejack, though that conversation was really awkward. “

“Ah gotta agree with ya there.” Applejack quietly mumbled.

“So, while you guys aren’t my friends per say, that isn’t to say that you guys can’t become my friends. You just, uh, haven’t yet.” Steve furrowed his brow a bit, staring at the ground. “Wait, that’s assuming you guys even want to become my friend in the first place. But why the fuck would you even-?”

“Of course we want to be your friend!!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed, jumping up suddenly. “Why wouldn’t we?!”

Steve jerked back slightly at her shout, before giving a shrug. “Well, better safe than sorry, I guess. I didn’t just want to assume you guys wanted to be friends. Especially after everything I’m sure you’ve heard about me.”

“But none of that stuff was true. We know that now, right girls?” Pinkie asked, looking back at other mares. Unbeknownst to Steve, when Pinkie turned her head, her happy look had morphed into a ‘agree with me or else’ type of expression, sending a small shudder through all of their spines. Given that none of them wanted to deal with an angry Pinkie, or even worse, a sad/angry Pinkie, they all hastily nodded while Dash had to smother a small chuckle. After affirming that they’d all nodded, Pinkie turned back to look at Steve. “See? We all know that you aren’t evil, or a monster or whatever. Just a pony down on their luck.”

“Not really a pony, but I get what you mean.” Steve replied. “Thanks Ms. Pinkie Pie.”

“No problem!” The pink mare exclaimed. “And you can just call me Pinkie, if you want!” Smirking, the Crafter gave her a nod of affirmation before turning his gaze back to Rainbow Dash.

“Look, I get that you’re angry, and I’m sorry for worrying you, but I knew what I was doing. I’m not suicidal. If I thought that elevatoring like I did would be too dangerous, I wouldn’t have done it.”

Dash sighed. “Well, I know that, Steve. It’s just… I worry about you. Trouble seems to follow you wherever you go. If it’s not one bucking thing, it’s another. Honestly, I don’t get how, no matter what happens, none of it seems to faze you.”

“Oh, it does.” Steve countered. “I just either ignore it until it goes away, or bury it deep deep down to let it fester and die. ‘Course, while ignoring and/or burying my emotions instead of expressing them like a normal person probably isn't healthy mentally speaking, I’m also fairly certain they’re the only reasons I stayed sane for so long.”

The six mares stared at the Crafter, whose expression hadn’t changed throughout the entirety of his rather sad and depressing statement. Even Dash, despite having known Steve for much longer and having gotten to know him very well was caught off guard. After a few moments of shocked silence, Twilight spoke up.

“Steve, that’s…” She trailed off, trying to find the word she was looking for.

“Horrible?” The Crafter finished, to which the purple mare nodded. “Yeah it is, but hey, that’s life, right? Besides, it wasn’t all bad. It was just, uh, mostly bad with some good moments sprinkled in here and there.” Steve shrugged before taking a look around, only to see that every member of the Mane Six now looked at him with a sad or pitying expression on their face.

“That sounds awful.” Fluttershy whispered, looking close to tears. “What was your world even like?”

Steve looked at the yellow pegasus as memories played back in his mind’s eye. Memories of a time long since passed. After a moment, he shook his head a bit to clear his thoughts before finally responding.

“What was my world like? Well, it was a wild, crazy and dangerous place, where most of the creatures around wanted to kill you for no reason other than the fact that you existed. Every single one of my friends died there, usually right in front of me, and essentially my entire race was wiped off the face of the planet. So it was, uh, well, it was pretty fucking horrible, to say the least.” Steve let out a sigh before shaking his head. “But that’s enough about me. After all, we’re all here to support Rainbow Dash in the race, right? Besides, all talking about my past has done is made you guys sad.”

“Well, no duh.” Dash responded. “That’s because your past is bucking sad.”

“And I agree with you.” Steve spoke. “But you guys shouldn’t have to feel sad on my account, especially over events that took place years ago. It’s in the past now, and personally, that’s where I’d like it to stay.”

The six mares shared a look, one that just barely slipped by Steve unnoticed. After a moment, they came to an agreement, ending the silent conversation with a small nod from each of them.

“Of course.” Twilight spoke, nodding to Steve. “If you don’t want to talk about it, then you don’t have to. But, if you want to-”

“I don’t.” Steve calmly but firmly interrupted. “But thank you for the offer, Ms. Sparkle. I’ll be sure to keep it in mind.” Taking a breath, Steve shook his head before clapping his hands together, a slightly forced smile plastered on his face. “Anyways, we should probably get moving. Got a whole city to see, right?”

“O-oh, uh, yeah.” The prismatic mare responded, nodding. “Come on girls, and Steve. Follow me.” Turning, she began trotting away, the rest of the group following suit.

* * * * *

“Here it is!” Dash spoke proudly. “The greatest city in the sky!”

All of the other mares let out little ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ of awe, while Steve simply had a neutral expression on his face.

“Isn’t it the only city in the sky?” He asked, a small smirk on his lips.

She gave him a deadpan look. “No, there are other sky cities. Not a lot, sure, but there are still some. And Cloudsdale is the best.”

“Says who, exactly? Or is it more hearsay than anything else?”

She gave him a deadpan expression, to which the Crafter laughed. Shaking his head a bit, Steve grinned as he took a look around Cloudsdale. Dozens of pegasi flew overhead, while still more were walked around on the clouds, visiting stores or simply talking with other pegasi. The architecture was, in Steve’s opinion, rather strange. Most, if not all of the buildings that he could see were of clouds. Large, white, fluffy buildings covered the landscape (cloudscape?), like someone had taken Ponyville, and painted it almost completely white.

Steve stared at his surroundings with a furrowed brow when he heard further ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’, though this time, they came from Rarity, who stood in front of a nearby mirror and admired her new wings. Steve walked up to her, coming to stand behind her so that she could see his reflection in the mirror as well.

“Oh, Steve.” She spoke, slightly startled by his sudden appearance. She recovered a second later and went back to admiring her wings. “What do you think of them? Absolutely beautiful, aren’t they?”

“Eh, sorta, I guess.” Steve responded, shrugging.

Rarity blinked in surprise. “You guess?”

The Crafter nodded. “Yeah. Like, it’s awesome you have wings and all, but all of the wings I’ve seen attached to ponies are either leather, or feathered. Seeing you with butterfly wings just seems, I don’t know, kind of weird, I guess.” He shrugged, in the process missing the shocked look on the unicorn’s face. “I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me.” Looking around, he saw the rest of the group walking away with Dash at the lead. “Oh, they’re leaving us behind. Come on, we better catch up.” Steve walked after the group, though Rarity didn’t move, staring at nothing for a few moments before the Crafter’s words finally registered in her mind. Shaking her head, she began flying after them.

“Oh! Wait for me!” She called.

As Steve and the Mane Six continued to walk, a few nearby construction pegasi made a few comments about how beautiful Rarity’s wings were. After giving them a polite thank you, the unicorn in question did a small loop as she flew over the group.

“Be careful with those wings Rarity.” Twilight spoke, tone displaying her worry. “They’re made from gossamer and morning dew, and they’re incredibly delicate.”

“Don’t worry Twilight.” Rarity reassured, coming to hover a short distance above them. “I’m sure they can’t get worn out from too much attention.”

“Did you hear a word she just said?” Steve inquired, gaze narrowed slightly at the seemingly careless mare. “If you fu- er, mess around with those too much, then they’ll break, and that means bye bye Rarity.” However, despite the Crafter’s obvious concern, his words fell on deaf ears, as Rarity had already started flying away.

“Don’t worry too much about her, Mr. Steve.” Applejack spoke. “While she can lose herself from time to time, she’s not stupid. She can take care of herself.” Steve looked at the orange mare for a moment before letting out a sigh.

“Alright. I’ll trust you on this.”

Smiling, Applejack nodded before looking back at Dash. “Anyways, since we’re up here, I’d sure like to get a look at where the weather’s made.”

“That’s a great idea!” Dash exclaimed. Taking off in a sprint, she called back at the rest of the group. “Come on girls! To the weather factory!!”

Steve sighed and shook his head, but began to sprint after her, a small smile on his face.

“Hey, wait fer us!” He heard Applejack call from behind him, but he didn’t slow down, or even stop. Instead, he actually gained speed by using the clouds’ spongy nature to his advantage, eventually managing to catch up with the prismatic mare. Dash looked slightly surprised to see him actually match speed with her, but her shock quickly faded as she gave him a grin. He gave a smile in return before focusing back on running as Steve and Dash quickly left their friends in the dust as they raced towards the weather factory.

Author's Note:

Hey, it's ya boi, back at ya again with another chapter. One where plot change is vague now, but will be more important later on.

Anyways, as always, thank you all for reading and be sure, if you want, to let me know what you all think in the comments below.

PreviousChapters Next