• Published 3rd Feb 2019
  • 20,269 Views, 3,199 Comments

A Crafter's Dream (Discontinued) - ruthim345



It'd been years. Years since the war. Steve was the only one left. Everyone else was gone. He lived, he fought. Rinse, repeat. All he wants is a second chance. And now, he'll get his chance.

  • ...
139
 3,199
 20,269

PreviousChapters Next
A Crafter's Dream Ch. 12: Bad Impressions

Now, without further adieu, I present,

A Crafter’s Dream

“Look, Miss Zec…”

“Just Zecora, please Steve. We’re friends, there’s no need for formalities.” She chided.

“Zecora, I trust you a bit, which is more than I can say for most of your kind. But what the Nether am I supposed to be doing?” Steve inquired, hanging upside down, his left leg firmly stuck to the roof of her tree hut.

“You are aiding in the testing of my Timberwolf trap. That sap is some of the stickiest I’ve ever seen. If it can keep you stuck, then they stand no chance.” Steve sighed as he got the nausea that accompanied his head rush.

“If you could, I would appreciate getting down now. All the blood is rushing to my head.” She laughed, before tossing up a vial, which Steve caught, full of the disolvent. Pouring the liquid on the sap, Steve slowly felt himself loosening, before he fell, somehow landing on his feet. Doubling over, he groaned at the nausea, before righting himself. Shaking his head a bit to clear it, he walked over to Zecora, who seemed busy with some potion in her cauldron. The green liquid inside was bubbling and smelled like dirty socks. Wrinkling his nose in distaste, he turned to the pony slowly stirring the mixture.

“What is this stuff?”

“Monster Repellent. The smell and consistency are enough to drive most monsters away. I took me many a day to perfect the recipe.” At this, Steve nodded.

“Makes sense. Some of the monsters in this forest are brutal. Of course you had to make countermeasures for those beasts.”

“Or for overzealous ponies that have no concept of personal space or private property.” She huffed in obvious frustration. This made Steve raise an eyebrow.

“Something happen?” He inquired, feeling something was up with the striped mare. She sighed.

“Nothing much. A week ago, coincidentally, two days after we spoke, I met with this Twilight Sparkle you told me about, and her group of friends. It turns out they were all suffering from Poison Joke. They seemed to think it was some curse I had placed upon them. Safe to say, after a few misdemeanors and some talking, I was finally able to convince them I was not responsible for their ailments. I aided Miss Twilight in making the cure for it, and she seems to consider me a friend.” Steve nodded as he responded. Taking notice of her furrowed eyebrows and small frown, he spoke.

“You know I don’t hold any real grudge against her, right? I figured out it wasn’t her fault for her actions. At least not really.” She sighed.

“Yes, just as you have not, I haven’t let your experiences cloud my judgement of Miss Twilight. Rainbow Dash on the other hand…” She growled, causing Steve to let out a chuckle.

“Yeah, that one is kind of an idiot. Loyal, from what I’ve seen, but still, a down-right idiot.” Zecora nodded in agreement, her anger towards the cyan mare fading. “She didn’t attack you, did she?” Steve suddenly asked, deadly serious. Zecora looked up at Steve in surprise at the change of tone, before answering.

“Actually, while I think she wanted to, she couldn’t.” At Steve’s raised eyebrow, she continued. “The poison joke made it so she couldn’t fly well. She was constantly crashing into things.” At this Steve laughed.

“Oh wow, karma really is a bitch. The one who loves flying so much was made unable to. Hopefully that served her a big slice of humble pie, although, knowing her, it probably didn’t.” Steve commented, absentmindedly looking out her window, the one he’d fixed after breaking it a while back. Sighing he looked back to Zecora.

“Hey Zecora, as much as I enjoy being glued to ceilings, I have to get home. I have some things to do. Is there anything else you need me for?” She thought for a moment, before shaking her head.

“Alright, I’m gonna get going. If you need me, you know where to find me.” She said her goodbyes as Steve stepped out, setting off immediately towards home.

* * * * *

“Oh you’ve gotta be shitting me.” Steve muttered, looking around the open field he found himself in. To his right, the tree that had slammed Nightmare Moon into oblivion last time he was here still sat on its side, scorch marks scarring the area where it had broken.

Getting to his feet, he looked around the surrounding area. Nothing seemed amiss. But, as Steve knew all too well, looks can be and are deceiving.

Suddenly, just as before, his heart began began to race as his stomach clenched. The sky darkened and the whole rippling effect occurred, just as before. But unlike last time, Steve knew what to expect. Looking up, he had to close his eyes as the flash of light blinded him momentarily as the clap of thunder hurt his ears. When he regained his sight, he saw, just as before, Nightmare Moon flying, slowly making her way towards where he was. He didn’t bother hiding. She already knew where he was.

He waited, with baited breath as she neared him. She gently glided down with outstretched wings. With barely a sound, she landed and proceeded to slowly trot up to him. When she had come within 10 feet of him, she stopped and stood.

“What do you want Nightmare Moon?” Steve inquired. Her expression didn’t change.

“We am not Nightmare Moon. Thy name is Princess Luna.” At her statement, Steve’s eyebrow raised. Was she being serious?

“Uh, no offense, you look a helluva lot Nightmare Moon. You even talk like her. Sorry if I’m hesitant to believe you. I have trust issues. Comes with being a wanted man.” Her expression turned thoughtful for a moment.

“We used to be Nightmare Moon. But thanks to the efforts of Young Twilight Sparkle and her friends, I was purged of the Nightmare by the Elements of Harmony.” Steve was suddenly reminded of his and Derpy’s conversation.

“Rainbow and Twilight!? That can’t be!” Derpy exclaimed. Steve gave her a confused look.

“What? Why? Cause I know for a fact that both have tried to hurt/kill me at least once.” Steve huffed.

“They’re heroes! They saved the world from Nightmare Moon! They saved the town a few times already, like from the Ursa Minor.”

Shaking himself out of his thoughts, he focused back on the matter at hand. Which happened to that Nightma… Luna, was trying to get his attention.

“Creature! Creature! Are you listening?” She yelled, slowly stepping closer. On instinct, he stepped back, hand already reaching for a sword that wasn’t there. Her eyes widened as they followed his movements. Her eyes narrowed.

“You were reaching for thou sword, weren’t you.” Steve simply nodded. “You were going to battle us, weren’t you?” His silence said it all. Neither talked for a few moments, both beings, one Crafter and one Alicorn, both staring at each other. Eventually, her glare fell and her eyes filled with what looked wonder and sadness.

“Why is your first extinct to fight us? Why can’t you cease your ways? Maybe if you became more peaceful, you could live amongst us ponies.” She sighed as she shook her head in, was that pity?

“She, this bitch has the gall to tell me to be more peaceful when her subjects are the very reason for my isolation!? Why would I want to live with those Xenophobic pricks when they hate me for no reason as it is!!?” Steve’s thoughts swirled angrily in his mind as his fists clenched tightly, to the point of making his knuckles white. His fiery glare met hers, making her step back in nervousness, sweat forming on her midnight blue fur. She opened her mouth to speak, but Steve beat her to the punch.

“Leave. Now.” Steve spoke, not yelling, but leaving no room for argument. She flinched back. Her eyes looked at him pleadingly, as if what he was doing was wrong, but his gaze was a stone wall. Her horn glowed for a moment and she was gone.

Still looking at the place she was standing only moments before, Steve took deep breaths before he felt the swirling rage inside his chest slowly disperse. Sighing, he fell back on his butt and curled up into himself, the only sound being the deep raspy breaths of Steve as the world faded out around him.

* * * * *

Square: Slash

Slashing his sword down, the blue blade cut through the tough vegetation like a knife through butter. Warm butter. Hacking the tall grass down, Steve continued on his trek.

He was looking for a cave entrance. He’d completely excavated the only mine he’d found so far and now he was looking for one he’d discovered a while back when he was exploring. It was a gamble, seeing as this one had not been explored, but Steve was willing to bet on it. The only thing he had to worry about were the Everfree monsters, but hopefully he could avoid them.

Suddenly, a twig snapped to his left. Whirling around, Steve pulled back his blade in a fighting, eyes looking for a the source of the noise. To his horror, a pair of lime-green orbs met his gaze. Steve immediately knew what that was.

Timber wolf.

He’d actually just called them Wood Wolves when he’d first discovered them, but when he'd called them that in front of Zecora, the zebra had laughed for two minutes straight, then corrected him, telling him their actual name. The wolves weren’t all that strong on their own, but very rarely did they travel alone, being the pack monster’s they were.

The Timber Wolf came out of the brush, edging closer to Steve. Steve, in turn, backed up, eyes looking all around for any companions this guy may have brought with him. As the wolf came closer, but no back-up came out, Steve had a sneaking suspicion that this was a loner.

Circle: Dodge

Steve rolled to the side as the wolf suddenly thrust it’s head forward, jaws chomping on the tasty air where he’d been just moments before. Backpedaling Steve dropped into into a fighting stance as the Timber Wolf righted itself and charged at Steve.

X (Hold): Power Jump

Square x 4: Slash Combo

Jumping high, Steve leapt right on top of the wolf’s back. Bringing up his blade, he slashed three times, cutting deep gashes into its hide. Raising his sword, he stabbed down, burying the blade up to its hilt. The wolf roared in pain and shook, throwing Steve from its body. He flew through the air, before landing hard on the ground, rolling for a bit before coming to a stop.

Damage Received - 2 damage. 18 health remaining.

Groaning, he got back to his feet and faced his opponent, who seemed severely hampered by it’s injuries. It struggled to stand, panting heavily. It’s green eyes were filled with pain. Focusing on Steve, it stumbled forward, eager to kill him.

D-Pad Right: Bow and Arrow

Square (Hold): Critical Shot

Equipping his bow, Steve put an arrow in the string, before pulling back. He aimed towards the injured Timber Wolf, focusing on his shot. Letting go, the arrow flew, slamming into the wolf’s skull with enough force to make a small shockwave. The arrow pierced its skull with ease, killing it in a millisecond. The body went limp, it’s forward momentum sending it sliding in the dirt. It stopped a few feet from Steve’s feet.

Slowly walking forward, Steve inspected it, looking for signs of life. But it’s faded eyes showed him, it was dead. Slowly, it crumbled away, leaving behind nothing but a memory and a line in the dirt from where it had slid. Sighing in regret, Steve walked off, continuing his search for the cave.

Author's Note:

Not sure why, but I had, like, a ton of extra time today, so have a chapter.

Also, tell me, I'm not making Steve too edgy, am I? That's the last thing I want.:fluttershysad:

PreviousChapters Next