• Published 18th Nov 2018
  • 2,858 Views, 82 Comments

The Foreign Exchange Student - FlameBow717



A family takes in a foreign exchange student. But they didn't expect it to be a pony.

  • ...
5
 82
 2,858

Arrival

“Kids hurry up! We have to get to the airport or she’ll be waiting forever!” Michael Wallace yelled to his kids as they frantically put on clean clothes and ran out the door. His wife, Lori, was waiting in the minivan, as she had been the only one who hadn’t slept in.

“I’m working on it, Dad!” his eldest daughter Kristy yelled as she ran down the stairs and grabbed her coat, her long brown hair whipping through the air.

Kristy was sixteen and had her mom’s hair and her dad’s blue eyes. She was skinny for her age and didn’t do too well in school, preferring to text her friends all day and ignore her parents. She was always annoyed with something, be it her parents, siblings, or just the world in general.

“Just get in the car hon, we’re running behind and we don’t want to leave the student waiting!” Micheal said while running a hand through his short black hair. He turned toward the stairs and yelled, “Will! Jess! Hurry up!”

A split second after he said that, his son Will and youngest daughter Jessica came tumbling down the stairs, hitting framed pictures and landing in a pile on the ground.

“You guys alright?” Michael asked his younger kids while Kristy ran towards the car, phone in hand.

“We’re fine, Dad,” Will said while rubbing his forehead.

“Yeah, Will was just being stupid,” Jessica retorted.

“Was not!” Will shot back.

Will was twelve and looked just like his dad, only shorter. He was currently playing soccer and was always joking around. His father had been the exact opposite, always serious and a bit of a math nerd. Jessica was basically a carbon copy of her mom when she was ten. Same brown eyes, same brown, wavy hair, and same happy go lucky attitude.

“Do you want to fight, or meet the person who will be staying with us this school year? Get in the car!” Michael said while pointing at the door.

The trio ran outside, the kids jumping into the far back seat of the blue mini-van while Kristy was already sitting in the middle left-seat. Michael climbed into the passenger seat while his wife cranked up the radio.

”The news of the discovery of Equestria and other intelligent life was a shock to us all. That was two months ago. Now, the leaders of Earth and Equestria have made the decision to keep the portals open for trade and to learn about the culture of the other world. Next, we hav-

“I still can’t believe that aliens actually exist,” Lori said while she pulled out of the garage.

“Or that said aliens are colorful, talking ponies?” Kristy said while rolling her eyes and staring out the window. “Ugh, it sounds dumb even saying it,”

“Honestly, could you imagine MEETING one? That would be awesome!” Will shouted.

“Well kids, I don’t think that will be happening anytime soon. But on a different note, how hyped are you guys for the new foreign exchange student?!” Michael said.

“I can’t wait to meet her! At least this year we get a girl instead of a guy,” Jess said.

“I thought Jack was great!” Will said, glaring at his sister.

“Was not!”

“Was too!”

Lori and Michael both sighed. Only two hours until they reached the airport.


“Mom, when’s breakfast?” Jess asked, her stomach growling.

“I told you, we’ll eat once we pick up the foreign exchange student and get back home. Now stop complaining,” Lori said.

The family walked into the airport, the sound of planes landing and taking off nearby. The place was bustling with people, and the Wallace family lost Will a few times, but they finally made it to their destination: Gate 17.

“Where is she?” Kristy asked, not taking her eyes off her phone.

“We probably missed her leaving the gate. We were running behind about twenty minutes,” Michael said.

“I’ll ask the security guard over there where she may have gone,” Lori said while walking over to a man with a security badge.

“May I help you?” he said with a gruff voice.

“Yes, we’re looking for someone. A foreign exchange student was coming in today and she’s staying with us,”

“Name?” he asked

“Lori Wallace,”

“Did you say Wallace?!” he said his eyes widening.

“Y-yes I did,” Lori said sounding worried. “Why?”

“Just... follow me. She’s over this way. I don’t know how you didn’t notice her. She really stands out yelling about looking for someone named Wallace and that they weren’t there when she got off the plane,”

“Sorry, we had some trouble getting here. Also, they didn’t even give her name when we offered to take her in for the school year and I still don’t understand why-” Michael said, then stopped abruptly.

“Honey? What’s wrong?” Lori asked her husband. He just pointed opened mouthed at something on the other side of the room. Lori turned toward where he was pointing and her jaw dropped too.

At the other end of the room, laying on a bench, was a pony. Her coat was light purple, almost lavender, and her straight mane and tail were a darker purple with a pink streak in the middle. She had a horn protruding from her forehead, as well as a pair of wings. She had some sort of star pattern on her flank and her massive, purple eyes were studying the crowd as if she were looking for someone.

The group of people around her were making that hard to do though, even with a wing in front of her eyes, she couldn’t see through the flashing cameras. She got up off the bench, dragging her luggage behind her as the paparazzi were being controlled by the security guards.

“Enough!” yelled the guard standing next to the Wallace family. “Miss, they’re here,”

“Took them long enough,” she said with a smirk.

Much to their shock, the guards and the pony walked over to the Wallace family. The pony’s gaze locked with the Wallaces, bringing them back to their senses.

“H-hello,” Lori stuttered.

“Hello! Are you the Wallaces?” she asked with a raised brow.

“Um... y-yes, we are, " Michael said, still staring. “Why do you ask?”

“Well, I was told to find somepon-er, someone, named Wallace, since they were the one that I would be staying with while I was here for the year,” she said while looking at Michael.

“Woah, wait a minute. YOU”RE the foreign exchange student?!” Lori said wide-eyed.

“Yeah, why?” the pony said nonchalantly.

“It’s just, um, we weren’t expecting you to be-” Michael said trying to find a way to tell her they weren’t expecting an Equestrian.

“Weren’t expecting me to be what?” the pony said with a confused look on her face.

Lori was trying to find a way to put this lightly “Um... well... we weren’t told that you’re-”

“An alien pony,” Kristy said bluntly.

If looks could kill, Kristy would be long dead. Her parents and siblings glared daggers at her as she went back to her phone.

“Ooooohhhh, they didn’t tell you I was an Equestrian did they?” the pony said while smacking her forehead with a hoof. “That explains the wide eyes and open mouths,” she gestured over to Will and Jess, who were still trying to process what was happening.

“Well... this is awkward,” Michael said while scratching the back of his head. The purple pony nodded in agreement.

“Very,”

“Dad... you said we could go get breakfast after we picked her up,” Jess said gesturing towards the pony. “We picked her up, so...”

“Yes hon, we’ll go get breakfast after we get... I”m sorry, what’s your name?” Michael said.

“Twilight Sparkle, sir,” Twilight said while flying up so she was at eye level with Michael. She held out a hoof, which Michael promptly shook while trying not to laugh at her name.

“None of that sir stuff, you call me Michael,” He put an arm around his wife “This is my wife, Lori, and that’s Kristy, Will, and Jessica,” he said nodding at his kids.

“Hi,” Twilight said.

“Hey,” Kristy said, not looking up from her phone.

“Sup,” Will said as he gave Twilight a fist bump.

“Hello,” Jessica said, looking at Twilight in wonder.

“Well, that takes care of introductions, so let’s go get Twilight’s stuff in the car and get something to eat,” Lori said with a smile as she reached for one of Twilight’s suitcases, only to have a hoof put in front of her.

“Thanks, but I can take care of that,” Twilight said, her horn lighting up.

“What are you...doing?” Will asked, only to stare in awe as the bags lifted themselves into the air.

Twilight chuckled at his reaction. “I keep forgetting that you don’t have magic on Earth.” She tilted her head. "Also what's a car?"


The group went outside to the parking lot, Twilight's stuff levitating behind them. Twilight and Michael put the suitcases in the trunk and then got into the car, Twilight asking questions about how it worked the whole ride. They were able to answer the basic ones, but some of the people in the car got annoyed after a while as the mare kept at it.

"How does the engine wo-,"

"Just look it up on the internet!" Kristy shouted, making Twilight jump.

"The inter-what?" Twilight asked with a raised brow.

"The internet. You can look up pretty much anything on it," Will said.

"So it's like a library?" Twilight said, her eyes sparkling as she said the word, "library".

"Sort of," Lori said as she turned into the driveway to the house. "Alright gang, we're here,"

"Move it, people! I'm starving!" Jess yelled as she pushed past Kristy, almost knocking her out of the car.

"I highly doubt that you're starving, Jess," Twilight said as she struggled with the seat belt.

"Need a hand?" Michael asked.

"No thanks, I got it,"

After a few more minutes of Twilight struggling to release the seat belt with her hooves, Lori reached over and pressed the button for her. Twilight sighed and climbed out of the car and went to the trunk, where Will and Michael were taking her bags out. She quickly used her magic to carry the bags to the front door, where she and the kids were waiting for Michael to unlock the door. Michael and Lori walked up, arms around each other's shoulders.

"Twilight, welcome to the Wallace house, your home for the year!" Michael said with a smile as he unlocked the door.