• Published 18th Nov 2018
  • 2,858 Views, 82 Comments

The Foreign Exchange Student - FlameBow717



A family takes in a foreign exchange student. But they didn't expect it to be a pony.

  • ...
5
 82
 2,858

First Day (Part 2)

“Good morning Riverford High! This is your principal, Mr. Martin speaking, wishing all of you a great first day back to school! Just a few quick announcements before we start the day. First off, for any schedule changes, please go to the counseling office. Second, the list of after-school clubs and their meeting times will be posted on the wall at the main entrance. If you want to start a club, find a teacher willing to let you use their room and have them talk to me to get the club and times approved. Finally, please be sure to be on your best behavior, as I don’t want to see anyone in my office on the first day. That said, have a good day! Martin out,” said a voice from the intercom after the bell stopped ringing.

“Alright, you heard the man, he doesn’t want to see you in his office, and I don’t want to have to stay here after school to host detention, which means put the phones away,” The man sitting at the desk said. “Anyway, we’ll do introductions later, I need to take attendance before I forget. Let’s see here, Tara Albertson.”

“Here,” said the red-haired girl next to Kristy.

“Samantha Dymond.”

“Here.”

The teacher continued to go down the list of names, getting a response for all of them.

“Luka Spalsbury.”

“Here,”

“Twilight Sparkle.”

It was in that second that everyone looked towards Twilight, causing the mare to blush.

“Here,” she said, trying to avoid the stares.

“Kristy Wallace,” the teacher said, not skipping a beat.

“Here,” Kristy grumbled.

“All right then. Everyone’s here. Now that that’s out of the way, allow me to introduce myself. I’m Mr. Smith, your history teacher for the semester. A few things that you should know about me; I try not to be that strict guy who has lots of rules, but I will be that guy if necessary. I have a zero-tolerance policy for cell phones in class. If I see anyone on a phone at any point before the bell rings for second period, I give one warning, and after that, detention. So don’t try anything. I know all the tricks. If you have any questions about my policies, feel free to ask or consult the school handbook. That being said, you all have a pretest to take.” Mr. Smith said, pulling out a large stack of papers while most of the class groaned.

Samantha turned to Twilight. “Just so you know, this is world history, so it will cover everything from the Chinese Dynasties to the late 1900s.”

Twilight just sat there, a blank look on her face. “The what Dynasties?”

Samantha blinked. “Nevermind. I’m just saying, since you aren’t from Earth, most of this is going to make zero sense to you.”

“Hey, I was top of my class back in Equestria through both natural ability and good study habits. I think I can handle a little history.” Twilight said as Mr. Smith put a packet of paper in front of her. Twilight picked up the pencil with her magic, which caused everyone in the room to pause, even Mr. Smith.

“I know I was briefed on this, but it is still so surreal to see a floating pencil,” Mr. Smith said.

“How does that even work?” Luka asked.

“Do you want the long answer or the short answer?” Twilight asked.

“Short answer.”

“Magic.”

“Now that is cool. I take it you can manipulate things other than writing utensils?”

Twilight shrugged. “Yeah, but the bigger the object the more draining it is for me. For example, if I pick up the desk, I would drain more magic than if I pick up this pencil.”

“As interesting as this is, you guys have work to do,” Mr. Smith said as he finished handing out the tests. “You have until the end of the hour to finish. Go!”


“That was the hardest test I’ve taken in years.” Twilight groaned as she, Luka, Lydia, and Samantha sat down at a table to eat lunch.

Luka looked up from his sandwich. “You do realize that it isn’t graded, right?”

“I know that. I meant it was hard to read and answer questions about how many people died in different wars throughout the years.” Twilight said, shuddering. “Seriously, the fact that there were not one, but TWO world wars. How does that even happen!?”

“Yeah, people were pretty crazy back then,” Lydia said.

“Oh please, there are still people just as crazy now,” Luka said.

“But now we have better communication with other countries, so there shouldn’t be a third world war anytime soon,” Lydia said.

“Well, isn’t that one of the reasons Twilight’s here, to make sure that Earth and Equestria don’t go to interdimensional warfare? I mean, its only been a few months since first contact was made. We still don’t know much about Equestria other than talking ponies and magic. I take it you don’t know all that much about Earth either,” Samantha said.

Twilight smiled. “Which is exactly why I’m here. To help increase the understanding of cultural differences and traditions.”

“Question. What’s with the tattoo?” Lydia asked, pointing towards the stars on Twilight’s flank.

“Oh, that. Yeah, it’s not a tattoo. It’s my cutie mark,” Twilight said.

“Your what now?” Samantha said, looking up from her lunch.

“My cutie mark.”

“And that would be...?” Luka asked.

“A cutie mark is a symbol ponies earn when we find our special talent. The stars on mine represent my skills with magic. My friend Fluttershy’s represents her love for animals, Rainbow Dash’s represents her expertise with the weather and her skills in flying, etc,” Twilight said to the three dumbfounded humans.

“So it’s like a calling card to what you enjoy or are good at?” Lydia said.

“Pretty much, yeah. And I get the feeling that you won’t the only ones to ask,” Twilight said with a sigh.

“Yeah, considering you’re a talking purple equine, I’d get used to it while you’re here,” Samantha said, causing Twilight to slam her head against the table.

“What about everyday society here? I mean, I already know about the whole meat-eating thing after what happened last week- don’t ask, I don’t want to talk about it-, but what does a typical day look like here?” Twilight asked as she rubbed her muzzle.

“Get up. Go to school. Suffer. Go home. Sleep. Repeat,” Luka said, grinning.

“Can it smartass, you know what she meant,” his sister said, trying not to laugh.

“Alright, fine. People leave for work, kids go to school, the government makes contact with another dimension-”

Three humans and a pony could be heard laughing as the bell rang for the next class.


Cody walked down the hallway to the athletic wing of the school, where he felt most at home. Sure, he could keep decent grades, but he only needed those to stay on the football team after tryouts next week. That, and keep his parents off his back. Football was a blast last year; he was only a freshman, but even the seniors knew not to mess with him at game time. Now that he was a sophomore and had a reputation, this would just get better. And then the breakup happened. No matter how hard he tried to focus on enjoying his P.E. class this year, he knew that both his ex and her new boyfriend were going to be there. He had seen their posts. Not being subtle at all that they had P.E. right now.

Cody sighed. “Only one thing I can do now,” he said as he walked into the gym.

“Hold the door!” said a female voice behind him.

Being the gentleman he was, Cody turned to hold the door when it was caught in a purple aura and opened on its own.

“The hell?” he muttered.

“Thanks, Twi. Kind of forgot you could do that,” said a voice that Cody recognized as belonging to Samantha Dymond.

“Hey, Samantha. How was your summer?” he asked as she walked into the gym.

“Not as crazy as today, that’s for sure,” she said as she and Lydia walked into the gym.

“Agreed. Not every day you find out that the student with the locker next to you is a freaking pony,” Lydia said.

“A what now?” Cody said, his eyes wide.

“She means me,” said a third voice as the door stopped glowing and closed. Cody turned to the source of the voice to see Twilight.

“Damn. Now that is what I call a foreign exchange student,” he said before kneeling down while holding out a fist. “Cody Jewell.”

“Twilight Sparkle,” she said as she gave the jock a fist/hoof bump.

"Hey, Cody," Lydia said.

"Yeah?"

"How you been holding up since uh, you know," Lydia said.

"I don't want to talk about the breakup right now, Lydia," Cody said, thoughts drifting back to who he would inevitably see in a few minutes.

"I figured. Luka wanted me to ask, so I did. Told him you probably wouldn't want to talk about it, but this is Luka we're talking about, so he didn't care."

"Where is he anyway?" Twilight asked.

"Taking his least favorite class," Lydia said.

"And that would be?"

"Math," Lydia, Cody, and Samantha said in unison.

"Yeah, I can see that. He never struck me as a math type."

"Well, well, well, look what we have here," said a sneering voice behind the group.

"Oh, buck," Twilight said while facehoofing.

Kristy walked over with a boy that Twilight recognized as the guy she sat with on the bus. "Seems horse-face found some people to talk with. And it just so happens that they are all losers too."

"Back off Kristy." Samantha sighed. "It's the first day of school, we didn't do anything to you, give us a break,"

"Ah, yes. The traitor didn't do anything to me. Sure."

"Kristy, I stopped talking to you because you made fun of people, dumped Cody for Drew, and then talked shit about him online. If anything, YOU betrayed ME when you started making me and our classmates miserable," Samantha spat.

"Samantha shut the hell up. No one cares what you think," Kristy's boyfriend said.

"I care about what she thinks. And we both think that you're an asshole, Drew," Lydia shot back.

"Wait, hold up. Cody, your ex is Kristy?!" Twilight said, huge eyes almost bulging out of her head.

"Yep," the jock said as Twilight's jaw dropped.

Before the argument could go any further, a tall, muscular man wearing gym shorts and a tank top blew the whistle to start class.

"Class starts now! Get changed into your gym clothes in the next five minutes so we can start. However, I need to talk to miss purple real quick in my office,"

Students could be heard snickering as Twilight trotted over the small office of the gym teacher.

"Okay, so here's the deal Miss Sparkle. By order of the school board and Princess Celestia, I can't have you doing all the activities we do due to the species difference, so you and I will figure this out as we go. Which means that you will probably be the scorekeeper for a lot of our games. You good with that?" he said.

"Yes, sir. I honestly don't find sports interesting at all in Equestria, let alone here, so this is actually a lot of pressure of my back," Twilight said as she sheepishly rubbed the back of her neck.

"Cool. Oh, and one more thing: the drill sergeant stuff is an act. I really don't care about whether you call me Sir or Mr. Cook. It just keeps the students from trying anything crazy in my presence."

"Thanks for the heads up then," Twilight said with a smile.

Mr.Cook returned the smile. "No problem."


"Well, I think we can all agree that this was the weirdest first day of school ever," Luka said as he walked out of the school with Twilight, Samantha, Cody, and his sister towards the buses.

"Yeah, it is kind of weird when everybody in the school is taller than you," Twilight said, the others laughing at her statement.

"True. Anyway, I'll see you guys tomorrow," Cody said as he started to walk towards one of the buses, the twins in tow.

"Yeah, see ya," Lydia said as she hopped onto the bus with her brother.

"You too!" Twilight shouted as she and Samantha walked over to their bus.

"Well, I other than the Kristy incident, I'd say today went well," Samantha said.

"Yeah. I really need to ask her parents about what her problem is," Twilight said as she walked onto the bus.

"In all honesty, no one knows what her problem is. She was like this at the end of last year and all summer, so good luck trying to figure this out from her parents," Samantha said as she sat down, the mare laying down next to her in the seat.

"Nothing wrong with trying," Twilight mumbled as the elder Wallace sister and her boyfriend sat down on the bus a few seats back.

Soon after Kristy and Drew sat down the bus started to head towards the middle and elementary schools, where Will and Jess got on. When the bus pulled up to the Wallace's house, Twilight said goodbye to Samantha and then flew to the door as the Wallace sibling walked over, where a smiling Lori was waiting.

"Hey, guys! So, how was the first day?" she asked the group.

"Great!" Jess said

"Meh," Will said.

"Crappy," Kristy said as she glared at Twilight.

"I thought it went pretty well actually," Twilight said.

"Great! We can talk more over dinner when Michael brings it home. It's pizza night!" Lori said as they went inside.

Author's Note:

I know these take a while to come out, but good things are worth the wait right? Right?:rainbowderp: I do this for fun as a hobby, but I like to make sure I am writing quality content for you guys.