• Published 18th Nov 2018
  • 2,855 Views, 82 Comments

The Foreign Exchange Student - FlameBow717



A family takes in a foreign exchange student. But they didn't expect it to be a pony.

  • ...
5
 82
 2,855

Settling in

Twilight walked into the foyer of the house, the Wallaces right behind her. She blinked as Will turned the lights on, revealing a hallway and a set of stairs leading upwards. There were two doorways leading to the left and right of the foyer, the one on the left leading to a sitting room with a large couch and tv, and the one on the right leading to the kitchen and dining room. The grayish-blue walls of the foyer had hooks for coats and some assorted pictures of the family on them.

“Nice place you got here,” Twilight said while wiping her hooves on the mat.

“Thanks. One of the advantages of being a computer software engineer is the paycheck. The amount of time I spend working is a different story though,” Michael said with a sigh.

“A what engineer?” Twilight asked as Kristy pushed past her and went up the stairs to her room.

“A computer software engineer. I design the programs and applications for computers,”

“What’s a computer?”

Michael’s raised a brow. “How do you not know what a computer-,” he smacked his hand against his forehead. “Right, no computers in Equestria,”

Twilight chuckled. “Yeah, you’re going to have to show me one sometime. I heard they use them at schools too?”

“Yeah, why?” Lori responded.

“I’m here to learn about human culture, history, anatomy, etc. But, while I already finished school in Equestria, with straight A’s by the way, I was told that I would be attending the local high school classes with everypony else,” Twilight said while pulling some papers out the outside pouch of one her suitcases and levitated them towards the Wallace parents. Will and Jess just looked at her weird.

“I’m sorry, can you repeat that last part?” Will asked.

“I said that I would be attending the local high school classes with everypony el-”

“Right there. Did you just say, “everypony”?”

Twilight facehoofed. “Sorry, with everyONE else. Man, that is weird,”

“That’s exactly how we feel right now with you saying that and levitating a paper to me,” Michael said.

“Point made, Mike,”

Michael stopped reading and just stared at Twilight.

“Please don’t call me that. That’s my dad’s name,” Michael said his face somber.

“Oh. Did your dad...” Twilight asked waving a hoof towards the ceiling.

“Oh, no, grandpa is still with us. He just doesn’t get along with dad very well. Anyway, can we eat breakfast now?” Jess said walking toward the kitchen.

“That sounds great, but where will I be staying? I wouldn’t mind some time to unpack,” Twilight asked, causing Jess to groan that breakfast would have to wait.

“Oh, right. Follow me,” Lori said while walking up the stairs. Twilight just flew up to the top.

“Show off,” Michael muttered under his breath.

“I heard that!” Twilight yelled down the stairs.


Lori, Michael, and Twilight went upstairs into a hallway with three doors on the left and two more on the right. There was a small bench next to a window looking down at the yard at the end of the hallway.

The first door on the left was Jess’s room. The door was wide open, revealing a mess of games, toys, and clothes that made Twilight cringe. There was only one place that was clean in the whole room: the easel that was set up in the corner. There were some paints of assorted colors on a shelf next to it and a half-finished picture of... something that Twilight couldn’t make out.

“Artist?” she asked looking towards Michael and Lori.

“Yep, and a messy one at that,” Lori said.

“Please tell me that I’m not bunking with Jess. Nothing personal, but I’ve been called an “organization freak” more times than I can count, and THIS is most definitely NOT organized,” she said pointing to the room.

“Nah, we’re not putting you with Jess. Your room is across the hall,” Michael said pointing down the hall.

“And the room at the end on the left?” Twilight asked.

“That’s my room. People other than me don’t go in my room,” Will said as he came up the stairs.

“So I can go in your room then?” Twilight said.

“Huh?”

“You said people don’t go in your room. I’m a pony, not a person. So does that mean I can go in?” Twilight asked, trying not to laugh.

“No, you can’t,” Will said. “And stop laughing!” he shouted to his parents, who were laughing so hard that they couldn’t breathe.

Will walked into his room and closed the door behind him, while his mother held up three fingers, and silently mouthed, “Three. Two. One.” Immense laughter came from Will’s room the minute she put down the last finger.

“Well played Twilight!” Will shouted from his room.

“Thanks!” she shouted back. She looked at Michael. “Now, where were we?”

“The room between Jess and Will is the bathroom that they share. At the end across from Will’s bedroom is your bathroom, which you be sharing with Kristy,” Michael said pointing to various doors.

"So the last room is Kristy's bedroom, right?" Twilight said nodding in the direction of the closed door with the "keep out" sign on it.

"Not just Kristy's. It's yours too," Lori said knocking on the door.

Twilight gulped. From what she had seen from Kristy on the car ride and at the house, Kristy wasn't the nicest person. She also had the feeling that Kristy didn't like her for some reason.

"Kristy, can you come out here for a minute. We need to talk about something," Lori said, trying to open the door, which had been locked. "And unlock this door young lady!"

"Why should I? I know that you're just going to yell at me about something," Kristy shouted to her mother through the door.

"Kristy, get out here!"

There was a groan from inside the room and the sound of a lock being turned. Kristy opened the door, jumping at the sight of Twilight.

"What do you want, mom?" Kristy said with a hint of annoyance.

"We need to talk about the changes in living arrangements while Twilight is here," Lori said staring down her daughter.

"I'm not sharing my room with Jess, mom,"

"I never said you were going to be sharing with Jess. I am saying, however, that you are sharing your room this year," Lori said firmly.

"Who is there other than Jess..." she glanced down at Twilight, her eyes widening with realization. "No! Absolutely not! I'm not bunking with the alien horse over there!" she yelled pointing a finger at Twilight.

"Kristy..." Michael said warningly as Twilight looked at the floor with tears in her eyes.

"I don't care! It's not happening!" she yelled, going to slam the door only to have it get caught in a purple aura.

"What the fu-" Kristy said.

"Kristy!" Lori shouted.

"-heck. I was gonna say heck," Kristy said, glaring at Twilight, whose horn was glowing the same shade of purple as the door. The door then opened all the way on its own and Kristy almost had smoke coming out of her ears as Twilight walked into her- now their- room.

The blue walls were covered in posters and the floor was covered in dirty laundry. There was a set of bunk beds in the far corner, the bottom one messy and unmade while the top one had random stuff on top of it. There were a pair of desks by the left wall and a large beanbag chair in the right corner. There was a door on the right, that Twilight assumed led to the closet.

"We'll give you a moment to settle in before breakfast," Michael said as he pulled the door shut, he and Lori heading downstairs to make breakfast.

"Thank you. I shouldn't take long," Twilight said as she went to unpack her suitcases.

"You get the top bunk, the desk on the left, and don't ever, and I mean EVER, open the bottom drawer of the dresser in the closet, got it?" Kristy shot at her new roommate.

"Got it," Twilight said as she looked up from her suitcase, a pile of books in her hooves. She glanced over to the pile of clutter on the bed. "Um, could you maybe move some of your stuff off the bed?"

"I could, but I really don't want to," Kristy said as she sat down on the beanbag with her phone in her hand.

Twilight's ears twitched in annoyance. She had done nothing to harm Kristy, yet she was treating her like a pile of trash.

"I'm sorry, did we get on the wrong hoof, er foot?" Twilight asked.

"No. I just don't like you."

Twilight felt like she had just been punched in the muzzle. "What?! Why? We barely know each other! How could you say something like that without getting to know me?"

Kristy just grunted in annoyance. "Whatever. Just leave me alone alright."

Twilight did just that. She unpacked her things: some books, scrolls, some photos of her and her friends in Equestria, some boots, a scarf, and hat for the winter weather, a pair of saddlebags, some Equestrian hygiene products, a single blue dress with stars for formal events, and some other odds and ends. She then carefully organized her stuff by her desk, put her dress in the closet, and put the brushes and soap in the bathroom. The last thing she did was place a framed photo of her and her friends back in Equestria. She smiled as she ran a hoof over the picture.

Kristy had been sitting in the beanbag texting her friends when her stomach growled.

"I'm going to breakfast. You don't have to come with me," Kristy said as she walked out of the room and down the stairs.

"Wait up!" Twilight hollered as she flew out of the room, taking one quick glance at the place she would call home or the next nine months. She smiled and closed the door behind her.