• Published 7th Nov 2018
  • 288 Views, 0 Comments

Flowers for the Fillies - PicklesandPies



A new threat, new guards, and a new adventure.

  • ...
 0
 288

Chapter 2

Twilight carefully set down her mane brush and walked over to her bed. She used her magic to fix it and then walked to her door. She opened it and stepped out of her room. "Good morning, you Highness."

Twilight jumped and looked to her right. Flash was there bowing. "Flash. I explained to all of you that I wish to be addressed as Twilight. And what are you doing outside my door?"

"Sorry, Twilight," he replied and stood normally again. "I am your personal guard. I must be at your side from when you walk out of your room in the morning to when you go to sleep at night."

"Oh, right," Twilight said. "Well lets go eat some breakfast then." She and Flash walked down the hall and Flash opened the door into the dining room for her.

"I hope you don't mind us starting without you," Night Star half-apologized. "You were sleeping in so Spike told us to get started so we could get to our guard posts."

Flash pulled out Twilight's chair and she sat down. He then pushed the chair towards the table and sat at his own place by her side.


Rarity: Okay I know it's kinda his job, but he is so gentleman like.
Pinkie: Are you crazy! You can't go having a crush on the same stallion as a princess! There should be like a law against it.
Rarity: I do not have a crush on Flash. It is true that I like a gentleman in uniform but Flash and Twilight have a awkward little thing going on and....wait why am I arguing about his with you?
Pinkie: *shrugs*


"I don't mind at all," Twilight assured. This made Silver Comet sigh with in relief. "After all, you are here to guard my castle."

Flash and Twilight fixed their plates and began eating. Twilight kept looking at Flash. "I would prefer if you would take off your helmets while we eat. It makes me feel more like I am eating with friends."

The guards looked at Flash, not really sure what to do. Flash looked at Twilight then nodded to his guards. All seven stallions took off their helmets and set them on he floor beside them. "Thank you," Twilight said.

Time Skip...

Twilight and Flash were walking to the door of the castle. "I have some errands to run today so I'm guessing that your coming with me," Twilight sum what asked.

"Well that is in my job description," Flash replied as he opened the doors. They said hi to Desert Rain, Little Storm, and Silver Comet before they set off.


Silver Comet: Princess Twilight is so awesome! Flash is so lucky that he gets to spend the whole day with her.
Desert Rain: Oh come on!
Silver Comet: What? All that I am saying is that if I could become a princess I would want to be the princess of magic. I'd even love to be a wielder of one of the elements!
Desert Rain: There is so much wrong with what you just said


After leaving the castle they headed to Sweet Apple Acres. Twilight explained why they were there to Flash. "Next week is the 50th year anniversary of when Ponyville was founded. Sweet Apple Acres is in charge of providing the apples for the bakery and the apple cider along with the space for the celebration to take place. Since I am in charge of the entire event, I have to make sure everything runs smoothly so I just need to check up on the Apple family."

Flash nodded in understanding and they walked into the apple farm. AppleJack and Flim walked up to them. They were each pulling a trailer full of apples, with AppleJack's being a little fuller then Flim's. "Howdy there Twilight and Flash. What can I do ya for?" AppleJack questioned.


Flim: Wait. Is a guard dating a princess?!
AppleJack: Flim! Show some consideration. They ain't datin.
Flim: Really? Well in that case Flash must just have a crush on her.
AppleJack: And how in tarnation do ya know that?
Flim: Guy reasons.
AppleJack: *looks at Flim questioningly*


"Hello AppleJack. Flim. I was just stopping by to make sure the perpetrations are going well," Twilight replied.

"Well as far as havin the apples ready, we're on top of that," she motioned the the trailers. "But yur gonna have ta talk ta Big Mac bout the cider and Granny bout the space. We are each in charge of a different thing."

Twilight nodded. "Where is Big Macintosh, then?"

"He should be behind the barn with Flam cleaning the cider machine," AppleJack informed. Twilight thanked her and headed behind the barn. Sure enough Big Mac and Flam were cleaning the cider machine.

"Big Mac," Twilight greeted the stallion. Both Flam and he stopped washing. "I was just wondering if everything was on track with the cider for the celebration."

"Ain't got sugar yet," he replied solemnly.

"Well I'll make sure Pinkie gets it to you," Twilight asked him if Granny was in the house. To which he replied with his signature 'Yep'. The princess and her guard walked to the house and knocked on the door. Quick little hooves could be heard from the other side before Applebloom opened the door.

"Howdy Twilight!" she then noticed Flash. "And who might you be?"

"Applebloom this is my personal guard, Flash Sentry," Twilight introduced. "May I see Granny Smith, please?"

"Sure!" the filly piped. She stepped aside so we could enter. The room was bigger then what Flash had thought. It surprised him to find a fire place against one of the walls. Applebloom closed the door and ran to the middle of the floor where Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell were coloring. She whispered something to them and they looked at Flash.

"Can Mr. Sentry stay with us while you talk to Granny Smith?" Sweetie Bell asked politely.

Twilight glanced at Flash and he shrugged. "I don't see why not," she replied. "I'll just be talking to Granny Smith in the kitchen." The mare walked through a swinging door into another room.

Flash sat on a couch and the CMC (Cutie Mark Crusaders) sat on the floor in front of him. "Can you please tell us a story about the adventures a guard has?" Scootaloo begged.

"Okay," Flash consented after looking into their pleading eyes. "Let's see. There was one time when....."

MeanWhile...

"Well I still need to discuss some things with Pinkie Pie but everything is under control," Granny put a pie into the oven. She then sat at a chair at the table and motioned for Twilight to do the same. Twilight thought that this would be the perfect time to ask Granny Smith about Flim and Flam.

"Do you really trust Flim and Flam?"

Granny thought for a moment before replying. "I do trust that they have changed their motives and are trying to change their reputation as well as their ways. But it does take time to change stuff like that," there was silence. "And besides it's getting kinda dull around here anyway. We could use some excitement. "

This made Twilight chuckle. Just then she heard the fillies laugh. "Oh! Granny Smith, I would like to introduce you to someone."

Granny followed Twilight out of the kitchen and into the living room. Flash was sitting on the couch with Sweetie Bell leaning on his right shoulder, Applebloom listening intently from his left, and Scootaloo sitting in front of him with his helmet covering up most of her face. "And to this day Fire Blade still can't eat peaches," Flash finished.

"Wow!" Sweetie Bell exclaimed. "Do you have any other interesting stories?"

"Lots," Flash replied but then noticed that Twilight was ready to leave. "But they're gonna have to wait until next time."

"Ahhhhh," the fillies whined in unison.

"It won't be that long," Flash assured. He stood and walked over to Twilight. The fillies said their goodbyes, gave him a hug, then went back to their coloring. Granny walked to the door with them.

"Granny Smith, this is Flash Sentry, my personal guard," Twilight introduced. "Flash, this is Granny Smith, AppleJack's grandmother."

"Nice to meet you," he greeted, shaking hooves with the mare.

"You too," she replied. At that moment the door opened and in came AppleJack, Flim, Big Mac, and Flam.

"Aren't you supposed to have a helmet?" Flam asked.

"Oh right!" Flash remembered. "Scootaloo," the filly came running. He took the helmet of her head and put it on his own. "Thank you."


Scootaloo: Maybe my cutie mark could be like Flash's!
Applebloom: Wouldn't that mean you'd have a stallions cutie mark?
Scootaloo: There could be some mare guards in the Royal Guard.
Sweetie Bell: We could ask Flash.


"Well. I hope everything goes fine here," Twilight said while heading out the door. "See ya later everypony!"

Twilight and Flash walked from Sweet Apple Acres to Sugar Cube Corner and explained to Flash why they were here. "Sweet Apple Acres has to supply the apples for Sugar Cube Corner so they can make all the food. And Pinkie Pie works and lives here. She is in charge of setting up all the decorations."

A little bell rang when they opened the door. Pinkie sat behind the counter, writing stuff in a notebook. As soon as the bell rang she looked up. "Twilight, you'll never believe who showed up this morning!" Pinkie came to the front if the counter and started hopping up and down.

Twilight shrugged. "Cheese Sandwich!" Pinkie exclaimed even louder. Cheese must have heard his name because he came running into the room.

"Is something wrong?" he asked worriedly.

"No," the pink mare replied. "I am just so excited that your here!" She turned from Cheese to the guard and princess. "His Cheesy Sense sent him here! We thought it might be because of the celebration but then we figured out that it was to throw a welcome party for the guards and Flim and Flam. It's going to be in two days. You'll get a letter saying all the other information tomorrow."

"Well thanks for the heads up and I am glad to see Cheese again but I really need to talk to you about the celebration," Twilight cut right to the chase. "Big Mac says that he doesn't have the sugar yet."

"I was getting ready to do that as soon as I finished the menu list," Pinkie quickly scribbled something on the paper that she had been writing and then handed it to Twilight. "Cheese and I will take the sugar to Big Mac right now. You can choose what you want from the list to actually be on the menu." Twilight nodded and Flash put the paper in a slot in his armor. Pinkie and Cheese were about to go into the back room to get the bags of sugar when Pinkie spoke. "Oh Twilight, if you see Rarity tell her I need another 7-3 combo. She'll know what it means."

Twilight nodded and she and Flash headed to their next stop, Rarity's. "Rarity is in charge of making all the decorations. Not to mention that the celebration is also going to have a dance type thing at the end of the night, so she has a ton of dress orders. For some reson she insisted that she would make me, AJ, Rainbow, Fluttershy, PInkie, and herself brand new dresses. I just hope that she doesn't overwhelm herself." Twilight explained to Flash.

They arrived at the boutique and went inside. Rarity was putting the final touches on a dress when they entered. "Oh hello, dearies!" I suppose you have come about the celebration preparation?" she questioned.

"Yes. Pinkie said she needs another 7-3 combo. I am hoping you know what that means cause I sure don't," Twilight and Flash sat on a fainting couch nearby.

"Yes, it's a kind of decoration," Rarity explained putting a spool of dark purple thread on a shelf. Spike came out of the dressing room and made a fake trumpet noise.

"Announcing the grand arrival of Countess Coloratura," he said in his most official voice. Rara stepped out of the dressing room in a poofy light purple dress. The dress had cream colored pearls strung around the skirt, waist line, and neck line. She had a light purple hat with teal and cream roses on it.

"Oh Rarity," Rara said looking at herself in the mirror. "It's perfect! I love it. Thank you so much!" She noticed Twilight in the reflection of the mirror and turned around. "Oh I am so sorry, Princess Twilight. I did not see you there." She bowed respectfully before smiling.


Rara: I would love to spend more time with AJ and her friends.*thinks for a second* Rarity, is there a spa around here?
Rarity: Yes there is. Not quite as good as the Cantelot spa but still amazing.
Rara: Perfect! I am going to take AJ and her friends for a spa day tomorrow. It'll be my treat.


"It's perfectly fine, Rara," Twilight assured, walking over to her. "Rarity really is amazing at making dresses that fit pony's personalities."

"I know," Coloratura agreed. She then noticed Flash standing behind Twilight. "And who is this?"

"This is my personal guard, Flash Sentry," Twilight explained. She stepped aside so Flash could shake Rara's hoof.

"You have guards now?" she asked after shaking hooves. "Now you're really looking like a princess."

"Actually sometime in the next two days Pinkie Pie and her friend are throwing a party for some of the new comers including my guards," Twilight informed. "You could meet them all then if you would like."

"I'll be there," Rara consented.

"Well as long as Rarity's decoration making are going well then I think that I will be off to check on FlutterShy."

"Oh! Twilight," Rarity perked. "Would you mind reminding her that I need to know how many animals will be in the petting zoo?"

Twilight nodded, Rarity thanked her, and Twilight and her guard started toward FlutterShy's cottage. "Petting zoo?" Flash questioned as they walked. "What kind of celebration is this?"

"It's like a festival," Twilight explained. "From 7:15-9:00 breakfast will be served in town square. While from 8:00 a.m. -7:00 p.m. the petting zoo, some carnival games, and some contests will be held at Sweet Apple Acres. Then from 6:00-7:30 supper will be served at town square. And finally at 8:00 a black tie dance will start in the ballroom of my castle. Then when the clock strikes 12:00 fireworks will go off. It's a really fun time. Fluttershy is in charge of getting animals for the petting zoo, some of the games, and the music during the dance."

"Sounds fun but why are we using your ballroom?" Flash asked as they crossed a bridge heading out of town.

"What else am I ever gonna use it for?"


Cheese: I didn't know that Twilight's library has a ballroom.
Pinkie: It doesn't silly! When she became a princess, her library was turned into a castle! The ballroom is so big and it has big windows and it..
Night Star:*interrupts* It's not that much different from any other castle.


"Good point." the rest of the walk was silent. Walking trough the trees toward the quaint little cottage made both Twilight and Flash feel peaceful. They walked up to the door and knocked. After a moments pause FlutterShy peeked out the door.

"Hi FlutterShy," Twilight began. "I was wondering if everything is going good with the preparations for the celebration."

"I have just one question," FlutterShy replied. "Do you want just one species of bird to sing at the dance or more then one?"

"Which ever you think sounds the best. You're the expert," Twilight complimented. "Also, Rarity said that she needs to know how many animals will be in the petting zoo."

"Okay, bye," she waved to us as we walked away.

Twilight looked up and notice that it was about midday. "Flash, let's take a break and eat lunch." Flash nodded response and followed Twilight as she led him to her favorite restaurant.

While eating their meal, Twilight had Flash help her decide what food should be on the menu. "Okay. Now I need to talk to Rainbow Dash and Mayor Mare." Twilight led the way once again to town square. She knocked on the door.

Mayor Mare opened the door and was introduced to Flash. Mayor Mare led them to her office. "Flash, you wait out here," Twilight ordered.

"Yes ma'am," he responded and sat on a bench outside the door.

Time Skip...

"Thank you, Mayor Mare," Twilight thanked. Flash stood as they exited the Mayor's office.

"Oh it was no problem at all," Mayor Mare replied. "Well see you two around."

She waved as the two exited town hall. "I don't mean to be complaining, Twilight," Flash commented. "But a two hour meeting? I don't see how you can talk for that long."

"Sorry," Twilight apologized. "I should've told you that it would take long. But I only have to talk to Rainbow yet then we can go home."

"Well it's three o'clock so she's probably at the park racing Fire Blade. Twilight nodded and they headed to the park. "So what's Rainbow Dash in charge of?"

"The weather and making sure everypony has what they need for the games and contests," she explained. The park was quiet. Probably because the parents were picking their foals up from school. "Where are those two?"

"I think I see Fire Blade on that cloud," Flash pointed to a giant puffy white cotton ball like formation. Twilight and Flash flew to the cloud. Flash made sure that he was always in a position where he could catch Twilight if she fell.

"Rainbow? Fire Blade?" she asked when they were in earshot.

Rainbow and Fire Blade peeked over the side of the cloud. "Ok hey, Twilight," Rainbow greeted. "You weren't wrong about Fire Blade being a great flyer."

"Who won?" Twilight asked as she and Flash landed on the cloud.

"Well of course Rainbow won in speed," Fire Blade answered. "But I won in the agility."

"Only because I got distracted and ran into a tree," Rainbow Dash defended herself. "I thought I saw somepony that I know flying into Ponyville."


Rainbow: To be honest, I thought I saw Soarin. At Skyla's party he had said that he needed to visit Ponyville for something.
Fire Blade: Wait! You mean Soarin the Wonderbolt?
Rainbow: Yes. Why?
Fire Blade: We have been best friends for like ever. Once he got into the Wonderbolts and I got into the Royal Guard we didn't really see each other much.
Rainbow: Wow. Small world.


"Glad that you guys are having fun," Twilight said, getting down to business. "Now Rainbow, is everything going good with the games and contests for the celebration?"

"Yep!" Rainbow replied. "I was also thinking that instead of making the entire day sunny, we could make it a bit cloudy during the afternoon so ponies don't get over heated."

"Good idea," Twilight agreed. She and Flash said good bye and started descending.

"Now we can finally go home," Twilight sighed in relief. On the walk home, they talked aimlessly about how Twilight met her friends and Flash told her the story of Fire Blade and the peaches. Flash just finished the story when they arrived at the castle. Twilight was laughing as they reached the door. "So he really can't eat peaches any more?"

"Not even a bite," Flash replied.

"You're telling her about Fire Blade?" Silver Comet asked.

Flash nodded. "Where is he away? He left an hour before lunch," Little Storm notified.

"Well right now he is with Rainbow at the park," Twilight replied. "I don't know where he went before that but as long as he can stay awake for his shift, I don't see a problem with him having a life outside of his work."

Desert Rain appeared from the right side of the castle. "Does that mean that we don't have to stay at the castle if we aren't on shift?" Twilight nodded. "Nice to know."

The guards opened the doors and Twilight, followed by Flash, walked strait to the library. About 30 minutes later Twilight was sitting on a beanbag reading and Flash was standing beside the door. He hadn't moved since they got home. "Flash. Do you really have to stand there all the time?"

"I'm a personal guard. It's what we do," he replied.

"Well at least get a book, sit down, and start reading," Twilight commanded, concentrating on her book.

"Yes, Twilight," Flash walked through a few of the shelves before he found a fantasy book that he liked. He then sat at a table and started his book.


Flash: I will admit. It is a lot different working for Twilight then any other princess.
Little Storm: I like it better working for her. I don't get so nervous when talking to her.
Night Star: Probably cause she talks to us like friends and not just guards.
Silver Comet: She sure is awesome!
*Flash, Little Storm, and Night Star looked at Silver Comet with puzzled expressions*


The library doors opened and Little Storm appeared with Rara behind him. Flash immediately stood and set his book down. "This mare says that she is a friend of yours," Little Storm introduced.

Twilight set her book on the ground and stood. "Yes she is. Thank you Little Storm."

He bowed then exited the library. "Not to be weird or anything but that guard is sure handsome," Rara commented while watching Little Storm exit. "Anyway," she turned back to Twilight. "I didn't come here to talk about your guards. I came to ask if you would join me, AJ, Rarity, Rainbow, Pinkie, and Fluttershy at the spa tomorrow."

"Sure! What time?" Twilight asked.

"4:00," the singer replied. Twilight nodded in agreement. "Well I best be off. See you tomorrow Twilight. Bye, Mr. Sentry." And with that Rara left the castle.

Twilight sat down and started reading again. Flash looked at Twilight. "Did she just call..."

"Yes," Twilight interrupted not looking at Flash. "Mares call stallions handsome all the time. It doesn't mean anything."

"Maybe not to the mares," Flash replied. He sat and opened his book.

"Just let it go," Twilight said. "I pretty sure that your the only stallion in all Equestria that cares about this."

"Fine."

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment