• Published 8th Nov 2018
  • 666 Views, 220 Comments

Life is A Test 2: Test Harder (Quite A Bit Harder) - Brony_of_Brody



Can YOU out-logic everypony in this sequel to the Pony Puzzle Pile?

  • ...
2
 220
 666

PreviousChapters Next
Zecora Becomes An Accomplice

Having finally procured a series of medical stones, several powders, and a bottle of what smells suspiciously like barbeque sauce, the next step comes into play. Fluttershy explains to you that recently, Graham has come down with a bit of joint pain in his arms, and so a special brew needs to be concocted to restore vitality. Unfortunately, it's beyond Fluttershy's level of expertise to brew, and so, as is the case with anything involving potions, help from the zebra Zecora is required.

You drag all the ingredients to Zecora's hut, where she sets up a cauldron for the brew. The good news is that it's possible for her to make. The downside is that the brew requires a very specific ingredient to brew properly, and although you have a lot of it, not everything is the right quality. Specifically, the medical stones (they look a lot like kidney stones, but that's neither here nor there).

The recipe calls for stones that are twenty grams or more, and while the supplier has generously assured Fluttershy that every medical stone provided does weigh a whole number of grams, all of them look exactly the same: the only difference is in the weight. Fortunately, although Zecora seems to forgo the new-fangled things like the electronic scales that Canterlot chefs (and Twilight Sparkle whens she hits a 'mad scientist' phase) seem so very fond of, she does have at her disposal a set of old-fashioned balance scales, along with enough weights, weighing 1-40 grams, to go round.

As much as it would be easy to simply set a twenty-gram weight on one side and just use whatever stones are equal or heavier, Fluttershy seems insistent that every medical stone is weighed individually and recorded, so that the subsequent data can be used for next year. As much as the thought of doing this again next year makes you shudder, it's all part of your self-inflicted punishment, so you have to go along. So, what's the most efficient way to weigh all of these medical stones?

Author's Note:
  1. A selection of medicinal rocks weighing between 1g and 40g.
  2. All rocks weigh a whole number of grams.
  3. You have a set of old-fashioned balance scales.

PUZZLE: What is the fewest number of weights needed to weigh all the stones?

PreviousChapters Next