• Published 8th Nov 2018
  • 660 Views, 220 Comments

Life is A Test 2: Test Harder (Quite A Bit Harder) - Brony_of_Brody



Can YOU out-logic everypony in this sequel to the Pony Puzzle Pile?

  • ...
2
 220
 660

PreviousChapters Next
The Answer 6

In the worst case, you’ll need five consultations from the builder.

It's easy for the more maths orientated to think the answer is twenty-four times, arguing that the total number of possible tower arrangements — 4×3×2×1 — is also the number of consultations required. But that isn’t true at all. Every single answer you receive from the builder tells you how many tower blocks are in the right order, and this information can be used to minimise the number of consultations by learning about the structure as you go.

Here's one such example for your perusal:

Think of the blocks as lettered and start by stacking them ABCD.

  1. The builder says “zero.” Swap A and B, and ask again.
  2. The builder says “zero.” From this, we know neither A nor B can be in the first or second position. Swap B and A for C and D: the tower now is structured as CDBA. Ask again.
  3. The builder says says “two.” Swap C and D's positions, then ask about DCBA.
  4. The builder says “zero.” Swap C and D for B and A: Ask about CDAB. This is now the correct position, as you can deduce from logic, but the tower cannot be considered built until the builder confirms that this is the order, so you ask a fifth and final time.
  5. The builder says “four,” and you’re done!

If you're still not convinced, here is a handy diagram showing every possible route:

PreviousChapters Next