• Published 8th Nov 2018
  • 666 Views, 220 Comments

Life is A Test 2: Test Harder (Quite A Bit Harder) - Brony_of_Brody



Can YOU out-logic everypony in this sequel to the Pony Puzzle Pile?

  • ...
2
 220
 666

PreviousChapters Next
A Very Specific Curse Foils Building Plans

Congratulations, you managed to successfully identify and out the pony with the sight deficiency. I hope you're very proud of yourself. Seriously, you're lucky you didn't have to do that in public.

Anyway, Big Blue, satisfied that you have both the logic and two perfectly functional pairs of eyes, has a job for you: the sort that mostly requires manual labour, more to the pity.

He had recently been chosen by the Wonderbolts to help build a commemorative tower back at the Academy, showcasing the colours of all current members of the Wonderbolts on every floor. Being colour blind, naturally Big Blue can do little to assemble the tower himself, and so it falls to you to build it in his stead, at least by proxy. He does, however, ask that you be discreet about it: he has his own reasons for hiding his colour blindness, which you reckon would make for some hilarious misunderstandings, if the writer of the life that was his story was any good at comedy. You suspect they probably aren't.

Anyway, he then goes on to inform you that he's working with a builder who, after a very recent foray into necromancy, time-travel and a dash of magic, came to be cursed with a rather unusual deficiency: she cannot actually say any words other than numbers, and until she can visit some sort of cursebreaker, she's stuck with this curse for the remainder of the project, since Celestia forbid, she insists on seeing the project through to the end.

However, Big Blue realises that there is a workaround to this curse: all you have to do is ask how many of the floors are in the right colour after assembling the tower, and use her answer as your guide. So with the problem explained in one go, he then offers to fly you to the building site, and to hide you out of sight in a small and cramped section of the grounds to guide Blue's hooves.

You soon realise that you may have to cancel any lunch plans you have for the day, as in the event of the worst case scenario, you might be there for a good long time: Big Blue and his crew first have to build the tower, then ask the builder if they got the order correct, and if the answer is no, they'll have to disassemble it and build it again from scratch, and that could take hours. But what, exactly, is the worst case scenario here?

Author's Note:
  1. Four blocks of different colours to be arranged into a tower.
  2. You don't know the correct order.
  3. After assembling a tower, you can consult a builder, who informs you if four, two, one, or none of the blocks are in the correct position.
  4. You cannot consider the real tower fully built until the builder confirms your solution is correct.

PUZZLE: Assuming the worst case scenario, how often will you need to consult the builder?

PreviousChapters Next