• Published 2nd Nov 2018
  • 2,811 Views, 370 Comments

The Life and Times of Spike and Rarity - Silver Wit



Spike is a dragon who was raised by ponies. Rarity is one of the most successful fashionistas in all of Equestria. This is the story about how a certain drake won the heart of his special lady.

  • ...
8
 370
 2,811

Desparity

Rarity anxiously paced a groove into the polished tiled floors at Canterlot Hospital. Every so often she’d stop and eye a pair of metal doors with a red light softly glowing overhead and hear the quiet ticking of the clock on the wall. She lost track of how long she was waiting for news on Spike. She sniffed back her tears. Her make up was ruined with dried black streaks of mascara running down her cheeks. Her dress was in total shambles with rips, wrinkles and missing patches of cloth her glamorous garment was turned into glorified rags. Everything happened so fast. One moment she was at the most important party of her career, the next Spike pushed her out of the way of a falling chandelier.

Spike saved her life.

Even after everything she put him through, everything she said about him, he was still willing to sacrifice his safety to protect her. After that things became blurry. She vaguely remembers ponies cutting the chandelier apart to free Spike. She sort of remembers Spike being loaded onto an ambulance and she kind of recalls Rainbow Dash returning to the party to find out what all of the commotion was about. But what Rarity clearly remembers is sobbing uncontrollably and saying the words “Spike’s hurt! Go find Twilight!” to her cyan friend before galloping after the ambulance.

A few hours later she was in this accursed room. Waiting for an update on Spike with a boulder pressing down on her withers. Rarity wished that this were all just a horrible dream. That Luna was punishing her for her treatment towards Spike. That any second now she’ll wake up and run down the stairs of her home, find Spike and get down on her knees and apologize to him until the sun set. Anything to make up that she was a terrible pony and an even worse friend.

A prismatic streak burst through the doors that connected the room to the hospital’s hallway as Rainbow Dash came to a screeching halt on the sterile floor. She was panting heavily and her mane was a mess. She must have flown at full speed looking everywhere for Twilight and then back to Canterlot.

“Haa… Haa… I found Twilight,” Dash said between gasps. “She’ll be here soon.”

There was a pop and a flash of purple light as Twilight teleported between her two friends in full panic mode; her eyes were moist and breathing shallow.

“Spike!? Spike!?” Twilight grabbed Rarity by the shoulders. “Rarity! What’s going on? Where’s Spike?!”

With a shaky hoof Rarity pointed towards the pair of steel doors with the soft red light above it with the words Operation in Progress in bold letters. Twilight lost all of the strength in her legs and collapsed onto the floor, crying into her hooves. Rainbow Dash wrapped her wings around the weeping princess and pulled her into a hug.

“It’ll be ok Twilight” “Dash said with the most confidence she could muster as she patted her friend’s back. “Spike’s tough, he’ll pull through this with flying colors.”

Twilight let go of her friend as she wiped the tears from her eyes. “I-I know. I know he’s tough,” Twilight said through her tears and sniffles. “But just the thought of Spike being in surgery… I’m terrified that h-he won’t make it…”

“Hey, hey, hey! What kind of talk is that?” Dash’s smile was warm and her voice was uncharacteristically soft. “He’ll make it, heck I wouldn’t be surprised if he was back on his claws by tomorrow. Spike’s real good at bouncing back.”

Twilight nodded and gave a small chuckle. “Thank you Rainbow Dash…. And Rarity, thank you for staying by Spike’s side, you’re a good friend.”

Rarity slowly shook her head. “No… no I’m not a good friend… I’m a horrid friend. This is all my fault.”

“Rarity, you can’t blame yourself for this,” Rainbow Dash placed a supportive hoof on Rarity’s shoulder. “I asked the ponies at the party and they said it was an accident, there’s no way you could’ve known this would happen.”

Twilight nodded. “And I’m sure Spike wouldn’t want you to blame yourself either.”

Rarity removed Dash’s hoof and shook her head as if there was a spider in her mane. “NO! It’s my fault! This is all my fault!” The guilt was overwhelming her like torrential rain. She had to tell Twilight and Rainbow Dash the truth about her treatment towards Spike. Besides, if Rarity didn’t tell them, Spike most certainly will and that’d only make things worse.

“There’s… something you should know.” And so Rarity told Rainbow Dash and Twilight what happened. Everything that happened. From the etiquette lessons and fittings that turned into a rigorous boot camp, to the party where Rarity discarded Spike like an out of date magazine and appeased the host with embarrassing and sensitive stories at the dragon’s expense, to the moment Spike saved her from certain doom and every little detail in between.

“And that’s everything,” Rarity paused to take a deep breath. “I can’t tell you how absolutely repulsed I am with myself. I can’t apologize enough times to make up for this and I’m so ashamed that I let myself get taken in by all of those nasty things Pish Posh said.”

“No Rarity!” Rainbow Dash barked. “Pish Posh didn’t twist your hoof to say those things and push him away, you did it yourself! I can’t believe you did this! I can’t believe you wouldn’t stand up for your friend when he needed you! What the hay is your deal!? And after I warned you about-“

“How…?” The voice was soft but was still able to cut through Rainbow Dash’s shouting. Twilight was in total disbelief as her lips trembled and her eyes threatened release another torrent of tears. “H-how could you…?”

Twilight’s first step was shaky, as if she was afraid of the ground collapsing but her next steps gained strength as she stomped towards the alabaster mare with such force that she threatened to smash the tiles under her hooves. Twilight grit her teeth and her eyes pierced right through Rarity as the Princess of Friendship’s horn gave off crackling sparks of animosity and smoke erupted from her ears. Rarity took tentative steps away from the irate monarch. The fear in her features was unmistakable.

“You heartless-! Do you have any idea how much Spike’s sacrificed for you?! How many nights he came home totally exhausted after working for you!? How many tears he’s cried for you!?”

Twilight kept her aggressive advance like a beast ready to pounce as Rarity continued to make space between them for her own safety until her rump hit a wall and was backed into a literal corner

“He worships the ground you trot on and you treat him like he’s your whipping colt! He went to the moon to rescue you and you throw him away when he’s no longer useful?! Did you even mean any of those words you said to him in the park, or were you just wrapping him tighter around your hoof!? You… You… You!!” Twilight’s horn flared as louder crackles sounded like she was channeling a lighting storm.

Rarity closed her eyes and braced herself for whatever would come next. A slap, a magical blast, or just more harsh words. Either way Rarity was ready to accept Twilight’s judgment. But after a few moments of nothing happening and the sound of magical snaps going quiet Rarity slowly opened her eyes. Twilight was dragging her hooves to the exit. She paused at the door and said without turning, “I’m going to make sure Spike’s as comfortable as possible while he’s here… Rainbow Dash… Find the girls. Tell them what happened. Tell them to come here as soon as possible. Spike needs them. I… I need them…”

Dash nodded her head after recovering from the shock of Twilight’s tirade. “You got it Twi.”

Twilight didn’t respond as she pushed the doors open and left. Rainbow Dash turned to Rarity, her eyes narrowed with pity and laced with disappointment. She flew out of the room in a flash, leaving Rarity alone again with the steel doors with the soft glowing red light and the ticking of the clock. She slid to the floor and held her head in her hooves and quietly sobbed in solitude.


By the time all of Rarity’s friends arrived at the hospital, Spike was out of surgery and Twilight left to see him and converse with the doctors. Rarity figured it would be best to give Twilight as much space as possible. For both their sakes. The energy in the room was awkward to say the least. The events that happened the night before soon became known to everypony and things between the mares became very uncomfortable very fast. Nopony knew how to act around the drama caused by the fashionista, so they stuck with eye aversions or disappointed looks.

“How’re you holding up?”

Rarity raised her head and was greeted by Starlight wearing a half smile.

“Well I’ve certainly been better, “Rarity said glumly. “I assume you know what transpired?”

Starlight nodded uneasily. “Yeah, Rainbow Dash kinda filled me in.”

“Oh Starlight, what am I supposed to do? I’ve never felt so awful in my entire life. I just wish I could go back and stop myself from being so selfish.”

“I wouldn’t recommend messing around with the timeline Rarity. Personal experience.”

“I can’t even begin to think of how I’m supposed to repent for my actions…”

“You could always start with an apology,” Pinkie Pie said as she bounced into the conversation. “I’m sure everypony will feel better after that.”

“I think it’ll take a bit more than that,” Starlight said with a slight eye roll. “But Pinkie’s right, you should really try to talk this out with Spike. The sooner you apologize the sooner you two can take steps in getting things back to normal.”

Rarity gave a strangled sigh, “Normal? There’s no such thing as ‘normal’ anymore.”

Before Starlight could press further a unicorn nurse appeared behind the group. “Um, you’re Princess Twilight’s friends correct? Mr. Spike is ready for visitors now, please follow me.”

The nurse led the girls through the halls of the hospital and with every passing room Rarity felt her anxiety build up more and more like an every growing snowball. The thought of seeing a broken Spike sent her stomach into a tumble. She just prayed that he’d be ok, that he’d make a full recovery. That she could do something, anything to make it up to him.

The nurse stopped before a door, her horn glowed and the knob gave off a magical hue. “Just try to be quiet if you please. He needs his rest.” The nurse opened the door and the girls filed in as quickly and as orderly as possible, Rarity was the last one in and did her best to hide herself behind her friends for fear of igniting Twilight’s anger again.

But what she saw almost made her faint. There was Spike. Lying belly down on a large hospital bed with an EKG machine making occasional beeps. His head was wrapped in gauze and his right claw was in a cast. His right wing was bandaged from the base all the way to the ends of the webbing and held up with wires to keep it as straight as possible. His torso was covered in bandages and gauze and what wasn’t covered in bandages was covered in scratches and bruises.

Twilight was right by his side, her protective wing gently draped over his shoulders. She was in conversation with two stallions in white coats. One was a Pegasus with a light red coat and a short raven colored mane and the other was a salmon colored unicorn with a light brown mane and moustache.

“Girls! Thank you for coming,” Twilight greeted her friends with a tired smile.

Applejack nodded. “Of course sugarcube, how’s he holdin’ up?”

He’s ok, just a little groggy. He’s coming around though.”

Fluttershy breathed a sigh of relief. “Oh thank goodness, I was fearing the worst.”

“Heh, I knew the big guy would pull through,” Rainbow Dash said triumphantly.

A low groan was heard from under Twilight’s wing as Spike’s eyes fluttered open. “Uughhh…”

“Spike!” Twilight retracted her wing and wrapped her hooves around her little brothers neck and nuzzled him. “You’re awake! You scared me to death! How do you feel?”

"Sore… really sore… and I have a killer headache…”

Rainbow Dash turned to the pair of stallions. “Doc? Spike’s gonna be fine right?”

Everypony’s attention fell on the doctors, Twilight gave them both a nod. “They’re my friends doctors. They have a right to know.”

The Pegasus cleared his throat. “Well if the princess says it’s ok. I’m Dr. Hawkeye Pierce I performed the surgery on our large friend here and this is Dr. Honey Cut, he assisted me during the procedure.”

“What happened to him Dr. Hawkeye?” Starlight asked.

“That chandelier did a number on him. Multiple fractures, breaks and soft tissue damage. Primarily in the torso. The scales along his back were damaged pretty badly along with internal bleeding and blunt trauma to the head and extreme trauma to his wings, the worst of which was the base of the right wing. It was practically being held together with string and chewing gum. But as bad as it looks, he’s a very lucky dragon.”

“How is this lucky? He’s more banged up than’a plow inna rocky field,” Applejack said.

“Those scales of his are as tough as armor,” Dr. Honey Cut said. “not to mention his size played a big role in him not getting completely flattened. If he were, say, pony sized, well… we wouldn’t be having this conversation right now.”

Rarity bit her lip so hard she almost drew blood and felt something squeeze her heart as she listened to the doctor’s words from her hiding spot. She felt her skin crawl with every aliment read off of the doctor’s grim checklist and if it wasn’t for Spike she’d be…

“Doc… am I ever going to fly again?” Spike asked with dread.

Dr. Hawkeye raised a confused brow. “Why wouldn’t you be able to fly? You have wings don’t you?”

Spike sighed and relaxed as the doctor’s words washed over him.

“Don’t worry kid, you’re gonna be fine,” Hawkeye said through a chuckle. “Some bed rest and physical therapy and you’ll be back in the skies in no time.”

Rarity’s heart warmed from this news and a relieved smile graced her lips. Knowing that Spike would still be able to touch the sky made her happier than she’d been in days.

“Thank you so much for your work Dr. Hawkeye, Dr. Honey Cut,” Twilight said. “I don’t think even a thousand years would be enough time to repay you for saving Spike.”

“I think a simple ‘thank you’ is just fine princess. We’re just happy we did our duty. Speaking of which, Dr. Honey Cut and I have some more tests to run, if you’ll excuse us.”

Twilight nodded. “Of course, thank you again.”

The two stallions gave a nod and trotted out the door. A soon as they left, the room was filled with cheers and laughter as a sense of levity enveloped everypony.

“Hoowee, that’s a relief! Ah was shakin’ in my hooves for ya Spike,” Applejack chuckled.

“Awwwww yeah! As soon as that wing of yours heals up we are totally flying!” Rainbow Dash pumped her hoof in the air in celebration.

“WOO HOO!” Pinkie Pie whooped as she fired confetti into the air. “Spike’s gonna be ok!”- she jumped and wrapped a foreleg around her alabaster friend. –“Isn’t that great Rarity?!”

And just like that, all of the energy and good cheer was sucked out of the room. The same awkward tension between the friends crept in as everypony focused on the mare in the ruined dress. Spike’s eyes narrowed at Rarity and then turned away. Twilight on the other hoof took a defensive stance and resumed her intense glare that tried to set Rarity on fire or turn her to stone, or, if Twilight preferred, both. The rest of the girls either couldn’t look at her or had disappointment etched on their muzzles.

“Uhhhh, did I say something wrong?” Pinkie Pie scratched her head in total bafflement.

“Hey! I have a great idea!” Starlight announced. “Why don’t we see if hospital food is as bad as everypony says it is? And Pinkie can show us the silly trot she’s been working on!” Starlight began to usher Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Pinkie Pie towards the door. Her horn glowed and Twilight was enveloped in a light blue aura. “You too Twilight.” Starlight said dryly as she levitated Twilight towards the door. Rarity could still feel Twilight’s eyes boring into the back of her head as they all left.

And with the soft click of the door, Rarity was alone with Spike. She searched her innermost thoughts and turned over every idea she had, trying to find anything to say to break the ice. Good luck with that darling. The silence between them was killing her, she’s spent years training herself to never be in this situation. To always have something to talk about, to always get into somepony’s graces by her simple talent of conversation. A talent that has served her well within her clientele and the upper class of Canterlot, but when it came to trying to say something to one of her dearest friends, all of that training dried up and left her without a tongue. She was too tired to point out the irony. Or was it a paradox? Rarity was too tired for that as well.

Rarity decided to just say the first thing that came to mind, so she chewed her lip and said, “… Twilight got you a wonderful room darling. I know she doesn’t like to throw her title of ‘Princess’ around, but she really outdid herself.”

Spike didn’t react.

“It’s… spacious, has a wonderful view of the outside. Plenty of sunlight and you don’t have to share it with anypony…”

Spike remained quiet.

“So… so, how are you feeling?”

Spike turned towards Rarity and growled, eyes retaining that bitter cold.

“R-right! Silly question! Forget I asked that. After all I heard what the doctors said…”

Spike went back to ignoring the mare.

Rarity chewed her lip again. Perhaps she should just dive right into talking things out with Spike like Starlight said.

So throwing caution to the wind, she decided to speak from the heart. “Um, Spike… I… I-I realize I’m not your favorite pony at the moment. But… I just want to say, thank you for saving my life. If it weren’t for your actions I’d most certainly have met a grisly fate. But you risked your own wellbeing to rescue me and it was the most selfless, bravest and heroic act I’ve ever-“

“Why are you still here?” Spike asked flatly.

Rarity flinched like a rubber band hit her right on the muzzle “W-what?”

Spike faced her again. “You just wanted to thank me for saving your life. You did, so why are you still here?”

The way Spike spoke to Rarity was a tone she’d never heard from him before. It was as cold and as harsh as the storms of the Crystal Empire, his words stabbed her like the frozen gales of the far north. Rarity made tiny circles on the tiles with her hoof as she fumbled with her words, “W-well, I, uh, I wanted to say a bit more than just that.”

“Yeah? Well I don’t want to hear it, so just go away.”

“Spike please, just listen to me. I-I realize I’ve made a mistake but-“

“Oh a mistake?” Spike said in mock surprise. “You made a mistake, is that all? I’ve made mistakes before. I made the mistake of filling in for Twilight’s Princess duties and let the power go to my head. I made the mistake in thinking Ember and Thorax wouldn’t get along and would start a war between dragons and changelings and let’s not forget I also made the mistake of giving you the ‘Inspiration Manifestation’ spell that sent you into a power hungry frenzy that took Twilight, Cadence and Luna hours to clean up the mess you left behind. If those are mistakes, what did you do? At least when I screwed up nopony got hurt.”

Rarity winced. “I deserve that. And I can’t tell you how guilty I am for treating you so poorly Spiky Wik-“

Don’t call me that!” Spike shouted. Rarity pinned her ears to her head to dampen the volume. “Don’t ever call me that again!” Spike grit his teeth and his one good claw curled into a tight, shaky fist. “That name… that stupid name… When you gave me that name it was one of the happiest moments of my life. I thought that name made me special, that I meant something to you, that I really was one of your closest friends. But I was never really your friend was I? I was just another pet to you! A source of cheap labor!”

“Spike that’s not true! You are my friend!”

“Oh am I? Cause what kind of friend breaks you down till they’re miserable? What kind of friend throws you under the carriage just to impress some snooty, spoiled nopony? What kind of friend literally chokes the life out of you to keep them from embarrassing you?” Spike paused to suppress a sob. “Did you ever even care about me at all?”

“Of course I care about you! I just-“

“It was all a game to you wasn’t it? Playing that you liked me, that I was important to you.” Spike couldn’t hold the tears back anymore and they fell freely from his face. “How could you? How could you do this to me? If you hated me so much you should’ve just told me! At least then I wouldn’t have wasted so much time with you!”

“I don’t hate you Spike! Sweet Celestia, I… I’m sorry…” Rarity trotted closer to the bed. She took a deep breath and said in her calmest and assured tone, “I am so terribly sorry Spike. I can’t take back what I said and did, as much as I want to. But don’t say you wasted our time together. You really, truly are one of my nearest and dearest friends. You mean so much to me and I care about you so very deeply.”

“Is that why you kept insulting me!? Why you told your new friends every embarrassing moment of my life behind my back!?” Spike’s voice was thick with venom. “Did you tell them about all the times I’ve been covered in garbage? Did you tell them about all the weird things I went through during my molt? Every clumsy and awkward attempt to impress you? I’m sure you and your new friends had a good long laugh when you told them about that!”

“N-no! I-!”

“How about the time I wanted to pay Applejack back for saving me, huh? Did you hate her too for stealing your precious little dragon butler away?!”

“Spike! You’re not-! I, I would never-!”

“Whatever. I can’t believe I was so stupid to think that you cared for me. I can’t believe…” Spike turned away and whispered, “That I changed for you… that I ever loved you…”

“What was that?” Rarity’s ears burned trying to hear what he mumbled.

“I said get out of my room Rarity!” Spike snapped. “I don’t want to see you… ever again…”

Rarity just stared at the wounded dragon in complete shock. Spike… never wants to see her again? No more visits to the shop? No more excursions to the gem cave? Never to see his smiling face or his shimmering emerald eyes again? Rarity’s heart was crumbling bit by bit as the thought of no longer having Spike in her life filled her with a kind of pain she’d never felt before, like a dark void opened in her chest. She doubted even King Sombra’s magic could conjure a worse fear, a worse agony than being without her Spike. This can’t be happening… Rarity’s eyes began filling to the brim with tears.

She opened and closed her mouth like a fish on dry land, trying to say something. To say anything. “Sp… Spike… You… y-you don’t really mean-“

LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!” Spike’s roar shook the room.

Through tear filled eyes Rarity saw him. Spike was furious. He towered over her with support from his one good claw, his pupils were slits and looked like he was about to lash out. He bared his razor sharp teeth as green fire escaped the corners of his gaping maw and black smoke rose from his nostrils. This was the first time Rarity has ever seen Spike angry. Truly angry. He’d always be so careful to stay positive around her to keep her happy and content. Always knew what to say to make her smile, was always the first one to ask if there was anything he could do to make her day just a little bit brighter and now, He hates me… I… I made him hate me.

At that moment Rarity searched her mind for anything that could help prove how much he meant to her. Private, sacred moments that would weaken his resolve. But in the end, she couldn’t call on any of them, he was already so far away.

Rarity spun on her hooves and galloped out of the room as fast as she could. She thought she heard Starlight and Pinkie call out for her, but she kept running. She thought she heard a nurse telling her to slow down, but she kept running. She thought she heard a well-dressed pony tell her to watch where she was going, but she kept running with no destination in mind, leaving a trail of mascara stained tears along the streets of Canterlot.

Author's Note:

I know I said I was taking a break, but I couldn't help myself. Inspiration struck and who am I to turn her away when she flashes those luscious lashes at me? Sorry for wounding you reader but I just got some new knuckle dusters and I wanted to try them out with a few good ol' punches in the gut. So where do we go from here? Well you know what they say, "when you hit rock bottom the only way to go is up." That is unless you hit rock bottom with a grave digger's spade and have a fascination with geological surveying, but I digress.

Now that I've burnt down the foundation between Spike and Rarity and made snow men from the ashes it's time for Rarity to deal with some uphill struggles, but will she find redemption at the top of the hill or will this just be a Sisyphean task? I guess only the future (and me) will know. (Again, I swear this is a Sparity fic)

Just a little update for those of you who don't read my blog (God that's an ugly word). But I've hit a bit of a snag on writing my TwiLuna request. I have no inspiration and it's hard for me to get the words down. I have a general idea about the plot and how it ends, I just have to figure out the rest of the pieces and how they fall into place. On the flip side though the story I want done by Christmas time is going well, I just need to do some more research before moving on. As for The Life and Times of Spike and Rarity I'll update it as often as I can, but I really want to get these new stories written and published for you to see, but I also want to finish this story as soon as I can. Paradoxical, really.

Let me know what you guys think of this chapter, I love reading the comments.

As always, thanks for reading. See you next time :raritywink:

Silver Wit