• Published 15th Oct 2018
  • 6,651 Views, 758 Comments

Friendship Abroad - Starscribe



Ocellus and her friends only planned to sail to Manehattan for their final project. They never imagined a storm could take them... a little further than that.

  • ...
17
 758
 6,651

Chapter 22

There was limited space on the scroll, and Ocellus concentrated with all her magic, writing as tiny and neatly as she could.

“Dear Princess Twilight,

We’re writing to you not because we’re in immediate danger, but because we believe Equestria is. It’s possible you have already made contact with the humans and we’re wasting the scroll. If so, we’re sorry.

Earth is not like Equestria. You can already see how small Equestria is compared to Earth continents. That space isn’t empty—there are billions of humans living here. They may look small, but they’re smart and extremely dangerous. Don’t take their lack of physical strength or magic to mean Equestria should use its magic against them.

I’ve read about their wars. We’re already beginning at a disadvantage with the damage our arrival here caused. If you’re not careful, you could give them an excuse to invade Equestria.

We will not win. Do everything you can to prevent a war from starting. They have thousands of years of practice killing each other, and they’ll use it on you if you’re not careful.

We found a group of friendly humans who have been helping. I think we’re hidden for now, don’t worry about us.

-Your students”

There was more she wanted to say, but if she wrote any tighter, her words would’ve started blurring together, confusing the meaning.

“You’re… completely sure about this?” Smolder asked, taking the scroll and holding it in one of her claws. Her eyes were on Marie on the other side of the room, talking to her friends. “Your letter sounds like it’s about… the most dangerous creatures ever. I’ve heard ponies talk like that… about dragons.”

“Positive,” Ocellus said. “I’ve been around them. I spent most of yesterday reading their books. Not all of it made sense to me, but enough did. They had…” She shivered, lowering her voice. “Pictures. There was proof right in the book. They weren’t even trying to hide it.”

“So freaking out like this… was all because you read one book?”

“No…” Ocellus whined, walking over to the other side of the room where she’d changed. She lifted up the phone from where it had fallen, unaffected by her transformation. She walked it back, holding it between her friends.

“Look at this. This is what the humans are doing.”

“First sign of life emerges from new continent as ships may be approaching the blockade.”

“Alright Ocellus,” Sandbar said. “I can see how sure you are. But if anything goes wrong… this isn’t what we’ve seen from our human. Marie isn’t dangerous. Was she dangerous, Gallus?”

“No,” he said, after a second’s consideration. “She’s a bit awkward. Delicate, even. You should’ve heard how afraid she was in the air.”

“See?” Smolder held up the scroll, then exhaled.

The scroll vanished in a flash of dragonfire, and with it Ocellus felt a wave of relief. The danger to Equestria was certainly not gone just because she’d written a little on a scroll and given Twilight some suggestions. But at least this way, if anything bad happened, she wouldn’t have to live the rest of her life destroyed with guilt over failing to act.

“Fine,” Ocellus muttered. “If I’m wrong, it’s me who’s wrong. But I won’t be, trust me. This is like Cozy Glow, but a hundred times worse. They’re not hiding what they are, they’re just… they’ve made this world dangerous. Equestria needs to understand those dangers.”

Almost the moment she said it, there was knocking on the door. Four bangs sounded in swift succession, so hard that the whole house seemed to shake. The humans in front of it backed up, Marie lifting her wings and squeaking in fear.

“Back of the house.” Ocellus pointed to the hallway that led to the bedrooms. “Be ready to…” to what? She didn’t even know how to finish the sentence.

That wasn’t Helen’s driver at the door, she was sure of that.

Her mind raced. What kind of spell can we use? Should we fight? What can we do?

“Security service!” came a loud voice from the other side of the door. “Open this, or we’ll open it ourselves. Right now!”

There was no basement, no secret tunnel, no nothing. Ocellus’s instincts demanded that she flee—maybe hide under something as a mouse until the danger was past. But she wouldn’t abandon her friends, she couldn’t.

“Okay, Ocellus,” Smolder said, hurrying back with the others. “But if you fight, we’ll fight too. You know we will.”

Ocellus reached the door, then pointed backward. “Marie, you too. Run.” It might not do any good. But maybe… maybe the three of them… Ocellus herself changed back into the copy of Marie as rapidly as she could, so quickly that she didn’t even have to concentrate much.

She waited until Marie was out of sight, before stepping forward and opening the door.

She instantly recognized the men standing there—Agents Smith and Hayes, the ones who had taken them away from the forest. There was a flicker of motion from the trees around them, and Ocellus’s eyes widened. There were only two humans visible here, but she could sense many more. The house was surrounded on all sides. The humans were keeping their distance for now, but for how long?

“Hello there, Marie,” said Mr. Smith, smiling as though this meeting had been scheduled all along. “Bit of a long way from home, ‘ent ya? Bet your mother is worried sick.”

Without any signal to them, the humans moved in, blocking the entrance. It was three of them against two taller, stronger, presumably armed humans. Just as before, neither of them had visible weapons she could see.

“I’m afraid we have to come inside,” Smith said, taking one step towards her. Maybe he expected Ocellus to be intimidated and retreat—but she didn’t move. He’d have to knock her right over to get in.

“I don’t know how much the three of you know, or how much you think you know… but right now the safety of the global community might depend on what’s inside this house.” Hayes stepped up beside his partner, resting one hand on the inside of the doorframe. There would be no shutting them out anymore.

And it won’t make a difference. How did they find us here? Ocellus remembered the brief flash of emotion she’d felt as she neared the building. What she’d assumed to be a message from home clearly wasn’t, though it wasn’t as though they could’ve done anything then.

Except warn Twilight that we’re in danger. We could’ve got a rescue. A rescue they now desperately needed. How long does it take to get a scroll, anyway? But she couldn’t even hope for that, because she had just said that they thought they were hidden and wouldn’t need help.

“Don’t try to escape,” Ocellus sent into the backroom, counting on Marie to repeat it for her. “The forest around this house is full of them. I don’t know what they’ll do if you run, but I can feel their fear.”

“I feel them too,” Marie responded, without further argument.

“What happened to me bloody housekeeper?” Helen asked, gesturing at the car. “Nobody’s in there no more. Did ‘ya hurt her?”

“Of course not,” Smith answered, folding his arms. “But this house is dangerous, and we’ve helped her get away. We will help you too, once we have an honest conversation. Not like the stories you spun earlier. Can you do honest?”

“What makes you think we—” But Ocellus cut David off with her arm.

They only had two choices left. Either fight their way out, or tell the truth. Even if we win this fight with our magic, we won’t win the next one. Time to follow my own advice.

“Can you promise me you won’t hurt anyone in the house?” Ocellus asked. She stuck out her hand—the symbol she now knew meant something to the humans. Of course she was no unicorn to cast a Geis on them—but she knew a lie when she heard one.

“During our conversation,” Hayes said. “I can see you’re all quite grown up. So we’ll have a grown-up talk. What happens after that depends on what you tell us.” He went for her hand, but Ocellus pulled back.

“First I want you to tell the soldiers sneaking all around us not to barge in while we’re talking.”

A flash of panic and confusion passed between the two agents, but it didn’t last long. Discipline quickly reasserted itself, and Mr. Smith lifted his hand to one side, as if scratching at an ear. “There.”

He wasn’t lying to her, though an undercurrent of scheming and calculation was now passing between them.

Nothing we can do about it. Just have to try to make our case before this turns into a fight. “Then… come inside,” Ocellus said, moving out of the way.

The agents stepped in, eyes taking in the details of the kitchen in quick, discerning sweeps. They saw the breakfast cooking, the damaged floor and tables, and probably the smell as well from their expressions.

It’s not my friends’ faults human showers are too small!

One thing they didn’t do was shut the door, leaving the chill outside to follow them in.

“You sure about this?” David asked her, reaching over and taking her hand. “They came in without a police backup. I don’t think this is how it’s supposed to be.”

“Nothin’ fer it, mate,” Helen whispered back. “Fairy girl wants to spill. Probably we should. Cooperate… maybe we don’t go to prison, ya’ know?”

“Like you’d go,” David shot back. “Rich girl wouldn’t even get a slap on the wrist.”

Ocellus ignored them both, following the agents inside. They didn’t seem as interested in talking so much as investigating the place, eyes scanning the destroyed living room, torn up couch, and the discarded remnants of Smolder’s hunting from the night before out the back garden window.

But the bedroom hallway had a door, and it was clearly locked from the annoyed expression on Smith’s face as he stepped away from it.

“Ask your questions,” Ocellus said, hopping up on the kitchen cupboard and folding her arms. David walked past her, gently pulling blinds closed. “It’s me you want, not these two. Helen and David just found us. I’m one of the creatures you’re hunting.”

They don’t like it when he does that. Probably a good reason for him to keep going.

Agent Hayes pulled over a chair, but he didn’t sit on it. Just put it between himself and Ocellus. A makeshift weapon. “Your accent… you’re American? Marie isn’t American—her records are legitimate. She was born in Brighton. Have you done something with her?”

“I haven’t hurt her,” Ocellus lied. “She is in the bedroom, there. Along with my friends.”

“I would really like to see her,” Hayes said. “And to know what you’ve done to look so much like her.”

“After,” Ocellus said. “There are other things you need to know, things that are more important.”

Helen pulled over one of the other kitchen chairs. She set out her phone on the table, its screen on. Ocellus didn’t see what she was doing, but she didn’t really look.

“You’ve misunderstood who we are if you think there’s anything more important to us than the lives of the people of this country,” Mr. Smith said. His voice was flat, yet behind a neutral tone was anger so intense Ocellus almost hid her face with her hand. “We want to see the girl.”

Ocellus nodded. The longer she sat here, the more she wished her friends were here to help. She belonged at the back of the crowd, not facing down the angry humans who might start a war at any second. “I will call her out,” Ocellus said. “But if you’re going to see her, you should meet my friends too. You have to promise not to shoot them. We don’t want to hurt you. We just want to keep talking, okay? That’s all.”