• Published 15th Oct 2018
  • 6,624 Views, 758 Comments

Friendship Abroad - Starscribe



Ocellus and her friends only planned to sail to Manehattan for their final project. They never imagined a storm could take them... a little further than that.

  • ...
17
 758
 6,624

Chapter 4

Marie’s eyes were glued to the television as they never had been before in her entire life.

What she was seeing was impossible. But as she watched, there was no announcement that this was really just the trailer from some upcoming movie. There was no “April fools.” If the BBC was playing a prank on people, this was far more incredible than any spaghetti trees.

“Authorities say the creature was spotted near Brighton pier at about six in the morning today,” said the bland presenter, looking as interested in the story as if she’d been telling them about London congestion. “No organization has yet taken responsibility.”

There was only a minute or so of footage, and it looped again behind the presenter as she introduced a policeman. “Officer Davies was on the scene. Tell us what you saw, Officer.”

A woman’s voice came in, a little fuzzy from whatever phone she was using. Marie rose from the old worn couch, ignoring her mother’s glare.

“You really shouldn’t watch from that close, dear. You’ll ruin your eyes.” Her mom sounded exactly like the presenter—like she was barely paying attention. She barely even looked, just kept pulling out clean laundry from the basket and folding it onto the sofa beside her.

“Are you seeing this?” Marie asked, stupefied. “Mum, that’s a dragon! It just…” There was a boat in the distance in one of the shots. She started listening to the tele again.

“The beach was still closed from last night’s storm, and we got reports from a few concerned residents about a shipwreck. My partner and I headed over to see if everything was alright, or if the boat was abandoned… and an animal attacked us.”

“It’s not what it seems,” Mum said, exasperated. “Look at the size of that boat. Whoever was running that puppet must’ve been in there. It’s a trick, dear. There’s no such thing as dragons.”

Marie pointed at the TV, stepping to the side. The camera footage wasn’t good—it had come from police dashcams, judging by the glass look and the car all around it. But it was clear enough, not like some blurry bigfoot footage. “Look at that, Mum! It’s breathing real fire!”

Her mom shook her head. “You mean the BBC is advertising their next original program? They really shouldn’t be allowed to lead people on like this.” She clucked her tongue, then lifted another white shirt to fold.

“It was in Brighton,” Marie said, folding her arms. “Just a few kilometers south of us. Aren’t you worried about…”

“About a dragon loose in the hill?” Mum rolled her eyes. “If you think that’s going to get you out of class tomorrow, you can put that thought to bed. You’re still going.”

But for once, Marie wasn’t trying to get out of school. She didn’t care anymore. How are they all taking this so calmly? Everything we know is different…

Marie turned, stomping one annoyed foot. “Whatever.” She pulled out her phone, wiping off a bit of grease with a finger, and wasn’t surprised there were dozens of messages waiting for her.

Helen’s dominated her feed, so many notifications that they took up most of the space.

are you seeing this
no way
turn on bbc3 you have to see this
its right there
come on Marie this is important
Marie stop it
you have to hear what they’re saying

David, her only other friend her age in the entire village, had left only one message, though it had arrived at about the same time. In David’s usual way, it wasn’t a message at all, but a link to a page somewhere. She didn’t recognize the website, but she could read “Dragon Sighting in Brighton” along with the other internet gibberish.

Her mother didn’t pay any attention to her as she slipped into the back of the flat, dodging through the kitchen into her bedroom. She could distantly hear the television as it changed from the news to a rerun of Doctor Who. You watch that Mum, and you don’t care when an actual dragon shows up in Britain.

Marie’s room was the only place she could feel comfortable in her flat—the only place that didn’t feel surgical clean all the time. Her mom only worked a few shifts a week at the hospital anymore, but she sure spent plenty of her time scrubbing down the flat as though there were sick people everywhere.

Marie kept her own dirty clothes in a pile near the closet, a fairly small one now that the laundry had just been done. Her bed was old and worn just like everything in the flat, but it was comfortable enough for her to plop down, brushing some unruly blonde hair out of her eyes as she opened David’s link.

It was on a website apparently devoted to “cryptid hunting,” something she’d never heard of before, but now she could guess. Instead of stupid wastes of time like Nessie and elves, this page was filled with actual photographs, most of which looked like they’d come from CCTV cameras on the pier. There were a few other angles from police cameras too, those not chosen by the broadcast. And a lot of people theorizing.

They were talking too much to keep Marie’s interest, but she did investigate some of the pictures.

The dragon was about as big as she was, maybe a little taller. But that wasn’t the only photo.

There had apparently been other things there, because some of the images contained more than just the dragon. Most depicted something Maria might’ve expected to find on a Mongolian Steppe, though it was a little smaller than the ones she’d seen on Earth documentaries.

But there were a few smaller images, caught from the pier shops but aimed far beyond their usual range. She couldn’t make out whatever they were aiming at very clearly, but there were multiple shapes for sure.

That one looks like a horse, but who would paint it like that? And those other ones are flying. That probably shouldn’t surprise her—the dragon was flying, so why not the rest?

Her phone started vibrating, and the thread was replaced with Helen’s picture taken during last year’s class trip, when she had stood in front of one of the Queen’s Guard making silly faces. Neither of them had been able to make them laugh.

“Hey,” she said, putting the phone on speaker so she could keep reading what people were saying. Helen’s thick Scottish accent made her a little harder to understand, but she was used to it by now. “You do what I asked or what? You see the tele?”

“Yeah,” she flopped onto her back. “I saw. My mum doesn’t think it’s real.”

“Well a ‘course it ain’t real,” Helen said, though her tone was at least less scornful. “But it’s wicked cool, ain’t it? Wonder what movie it’s for.”

“You think a movie would try to trick people like this? The presenter sounded like she was just reporting.”

“The presenter sounded…” Helen repeated. “Who cares? Maybe they paid her to play along? Or maybe she’s as stupid as you?”

Marie couldn’t hear talk like that from anyone else and not feel hurt by it. But Helen was her friend, and the meaner she was, the more friendly that meant she was becoming.

“Well maybe you’re the stupid one for not believing it,” she countered. “They’ve got so many angles. It’s a real dragon, I’m telling you.”

“Kinda small thing, ain’t he? Not half as big as the ones in Harry Potter.”

“Maybe it’s a baby dragon.”

“A wee little baby,” Helen repeated. Now her voice had taken on a singsong quality, one that grated on Marie’s ears.

“Whatever. Maybe I’m going to go out and find it. Tele said they went north… that’s right towards us. I think you’re just too scared we might find ‘em.”

“I see where this is goin’.” Helen still sounded mocking. “We’re goin’ on a right little snipe hunt, eh? Like last summer? Think you’re gonna lead me on? That’s ripe smell I tell you what.”

How are we even speaking the same language? But Marie didn’t say that—she couldn’t bring herself to be mean in jest like Helen could. It got too hard to tell the difference.

“I’m going to call David right now,” she said. “And he’ll want to come too. Bet you wouldn’t want to miss the trip then.”

Silence, for nearly eight whole seconds. A practical eternity from Helen. “I’m going then.”

Marie couldn’t suppress a giggle. “I’ll meet you at your place. I’m sure big animals like that would want to stay away from the village.”

“You be the one to call him, right?”

“Right.” She hung up. She didn’t actually call David, though. While their friend would’ve happily answered a message from Helen, he got incredibly shy and evasive if Marie contacted him alone.

Hey, Helen and I are going hunting for those things. You could bring that fancy new camera you just got from your birthday. Maybe we’ll find them.

As she’d expected, David responded almost immediately.

Meeting at Helen’s place?

Yeah.

Half an hour.

Marie flopped down from her bed, catching herself in front of the wall-length mirror. She straightened, brushed her hair into something that vaguely approximated orderly, then took a scrunchy off her desk and stuck it into a rough ponytail.

That done, she yanked her scuffed-up pink bicycle helmet off the wall, and made her way back through the kitchen.

“And where do you think you’re going?”

“Dragon hunting.” She didn’t even stop walking, just headed straight for the flat door.

Her mom didn’t look up. “Got your helmet?”

She answered by banging it against the wall.

“Be back before dark, sweetie. And don’t be too disappointed if you don’t find anything.”

As if. There’s more than just dragons, and they’re all headed this way. We’d have to be stupid not to find them.

Marie’s old bike was leaning up against the side of the house inside the front garden. Her mom didn’t care that she parked it on the grass—there was nothing else alive in here. She turned it around, ran a hand on the worn vinyl seat to get it dry, then hopped up to start riding.

It was a fairly long trip through the village, but Marie enjoyed the ride. She kept to the sidewalks when they existed, but more often than not she was riding along dirt roads frequented by tractors and not cars.

At least the gray sky was clearing a little from last night’s storm. She could see the sun again, and the birds were coming back out. Tomorrow would be another nice day wasted in school.

Helen’s family owned the largest farm in town—what had once been several different properties all bought out over the years. That hadn’t exactly made them popular—but Marie didn’t care. Helen was one of the only girls her age, and the only one who didn’t care how old her clothes were or that she never had pocket money.

But she met David first—the kid had been shorter than her since a few months ago, something she never ceased to remind him about. He wore his usual heavy backpack of stuff they probably wouldn’t need, sitting astride a gas-assisted bike he probably shouldn’t be allowed to use. But out here the rules were more guidelines than anything.

“Ready to hunt some dragons?” she asked, pulling up alongside him. “You look like we could go camping for a week.”

“Your mum’d never let you,” he said, looking away.

She giggled. “I wasn’t suggesting we do it.” She stopped, then lifted her crappy phone out of her pocket. “Helen, get out here. David’s waiting for you.”

Her friend didn’t respond, but a few seconds later and she emerged from inside the huge house, jogging up the path in a skirt way shorter than Marie would’ve been allowed to wear. She’d chosen white like an idiot, probably just wanting that stupid hair to stand out, and not caring that they’d be climbing through a dirty forest the day after a storm. Have fun losing those expensive sandals in the mud.

Hey David,” she called from the other side of the mechanical fence, pressing a few buttons on the keypad. It lifted lazily out of her way, and she jogged underneath before it could start moving back down again.

“Oh, hey Helen. So… do you have any idea where we should be looking?”

“Nope!” Marie exclaimed, grinning wider. “Let’s go!”