• Published 15th Oct 2018
  • 6,637 Views, 758 Comments

Friendship Abroad - Starscribe



Ocellus and her friends only planned to sail to Manehattan for their final project. They never imagined a storm could take them... a little further than that.

  • ...
17
 758
 6,637

Chapter 27

Marie’s changeling senses were no mercy to her as the mythical creatures got their second magical-scroll delivery she had seen.

She couldn’t read thoughts. Yet with her eyes closed, she could see thick patches of anger and fear, spreading out through the building and approaching rapidly. She clutched at her stomach, groaning with the nauseating feeling of so much anger in such a small place. If being near her friends brought color back to the world, this took it away again.

“We should back up,” Marie muttered, touching David and then Helen on the shoulder. “This is…”

“Could’a seen that from about a bloomin’ mile away,” Helen answered, rising from her chair. “Back towards the beds then. Their funeral if they wanna fight, know what I mean?”

“They won’t fight,” David said, though there was no confidence in his voice as he said it. Marie would’ve been fooled before, but now… You’re just trying to make me feel better.

Then came the soldiers, and the shouting. The one who seemed to be in charge of everything down here arrived before anyone could start shooting. “There’s no reason this has to turn into anything,” Blackburn went on. “We can be… civil. Peaceful.”

“You’re the one with weapons pointed at us,” Gallus said, rolling his eyes. “I think they’re weapons, anyway.” He glanced to the side. “Ocellus?”

“Yeah.” She nodded her confirmation. “They’re weapons.”

“Well, that’s rather unfair.” Blackburn took a few steps closer, earning himself cautious looks from the soldiers around him. But no one dared try and stop him as he selected a chair from among the fallen furniture, standing it up and putting it between himself and the creatures. “You just did… honestly we have no idea. Everything about you all is new to us. You must try and understand… imagine this was your homeland. Imagine if there were sixty-six million people right outside that door. Unknown creatures arrive one day, creatures you’ve never seen before, never dreamed about, and the first thing they do is turn a little girl into a monster. Don’t you think we’re within our—”

But Marie barely even heard him after that. She whimpered, covering her face with one arm and fighting back her tears. Commander Blackburn wasn’t wrong about that. She really was a monster. She was the reason Ocellus and her friends were in so much danger in the first place. If she hadn’t been involved, if she hadn’t been changed, then there wouldn’t be any reason for the country to fear them. Or… maybe not as much.

I should just disappear. Maybe these powers let me do that.

Her friends didn’t notice her sudden shift in emotions. They couldn’t sense them the way she could, and wouldn’t be able to hear her silent tears. Not over the tense negotiations going on right in front of them.

But someone could. “You can’t,” Ocellus thought at her. “Don’t listen to him. Ponies used to think we were monsters too, a long time ago. But then they got to know us, and they changed their minds. I’m sure your kind can too.”

Marie winced, wishing she’d been more disciplined. She didn’t want to make Ocellus deal with her when she was probably the only one keeping the peace between her friends and the dozen armed soldiers.

“Sorry,” was all she thought back. She got no response.

And it was easy to see why. The dragon now stood out in front of the others. Maybe Smolder wasn’t as afraid of their weapons. No, that’s wrong. She’s terrified. She’s been hit by them before, and she knows how much they hurt. She’s protecting them.

“We’re not here to hurt you,” Smolder was saying. “Look at how small you are. If we were bad creatures, you’d know already. We did everything you asked. We let you poke us and march us around and lock us in this stupid dungeon. Doesn’t mean we’re going to keep listening to you.”

“What did that letter say?”

Marie opened one eye. She barely dared to breathe, expecting a surge of gunfire any second. But none came, at least not yet.

“Equestria is going to rescue us. They’re coming in the morning. It’s been so long since I saw the sun, I don’t know how much longer that is.”

Marie glanced to one side, whispering. “David, is your phone working?”

He nodded. “It turns on. No service in this place, and the networks are all protected. Probably they’re using it to watch me, somehow.” He held it up, and that was enough for her to get a good look.

“It’s three AM. That means sunrise is in… maybe two hours? Or three. Dunno.”

“Too long to hold out. Probably don’t want them to show up in the middle of this. One side would get hurt.” It wasn’t clear from her voice which side she thought that would be. But Marie knew better. They both would.

“You’ve just introduced a rather confounding variable,” Blackburn said. “You say that was a message? A message you received underground, past every possible security measure.”

“Yeah.” It was mostly Smolder arguing. The others just hid behind her, either terrified of the men like Silverstream and Sandbar, or ready to tear into them like Gallus. If they started fighting… Marie could imagine how terrible it would be. She could feel the anger on both sides—intense discomfort, exhaustion, and fear from the magical creatures. Pure terror from the humans. They were so close to making it all go away. “It should tell you that magic is strong stuff. Keeping us locked up isn’t gonna work. What you really need to do is give us back to Equestria.”

“It’s in progress,” Blackburn answered, noncomittally. “Listen, I’m afraid we’ll have to separate you. Keeping you together was conditional on good behavior, and this demonstrates we just can’t count on it. Each of you needs to stand where you are, as my men remove you one at a time.”

“That’s not gonna happen,” Gallus muttered. “We came together, we’re leaving together.”

“Yeah!” the others agreed.

This is it, Marie thought. This is where they die.

For a second, she imagined her way into the future. Ocellus and her friends dead, along with tons of royal marines. Negotiations on the border break down, and then there’d be war. Magic, guns, and tons of dead people who didn’t need to be fighting.

“This isn’t a negotiation anymore,” Blackburn said, backing up a step towards his soldiers, and further out of reach of the Equestrians. “I’m giving you an instruction. We’ll execute it by force if necessary.”

Is that the future you want, Marie? Do you want to watch your new friends die? Maybe they’ll burn Hogwarts down too.

Marie rose suddenly into a standing position, taking a step forward.

“What the blazes are you doing?” Helen yanked at her ankle, far too weak to make a difference. “Bloody hell, Marie! Get away from them! Ain’t it obvious where this is going?”

That’s the problem.

Marie pulled away from her, just out of reach. “Hey!” she shouted, loud enough that several of the soldiers turned their weapons in her direction. Then they saw what they were aiming at, and they dropped suddenly out of the way. They don’t want to shoot anyone.

“You’re not involved in this, child,” Blackburn called, his voice stern. “Stay back with the others.”

She ignored him, marching straight through an opening in the line of soldiers. One of them tracked her with their rifle—but didn’t shoot. She was only ten.

“I’m involved,” she said, raising her voice almost as loud. It broke and cracked with her fear—she couldn’t stay perfectly calm like some career soldier. “You can’t talk about me like I’m not even here! I’m the reason you’re so afraid of them! If that’s what it takes for you to leave them alone, you can…” She hesitated. “You can just shoot me instead!” She stepped right in front of Smolder, shoving her back and spreading her arms wide.

Warmth exploded out from behind her, warmth that no one besides Ocellus would see. But Marie felt it, and for a second she worried she might explode. It came from each of the Equestrians, some a little more than others. Appreciation, gratitude… and awe at her bravery. It filled Marie with confidence, filled her until she wasn’t afraid of the guns anymore.

“Kid, get behind me,” the dragon whispered. “You’re as soft as a pony.”

But she ignored her too—ignored everyone, just glared out at the soldiers and Blackburn at the front.

“You haven’t offered us compromise,” Ocellus said from beside her. She wasn’t human sized or shaped anymore, yet Marie hardly even noticed. She was the easiest person to sense in the whole room, and one of the calmest. “Maybe you’re not as good at negotiating as we changelings are. But where I come from, you have to offer something when you want something. Changelings wanted love from ponies, but we weren’t going to get any until we gave some in return. All you’ve done is take since we got here.”

Commander Blackburn hesitated for another moment, looking between the two of them. He might not really understand the creatures, but at least he shared their exhaustion. “Compromise,” he repeated. “I can see how this might look bad to you. Not your country, not your people. Hard to see the risk we’re taking. It would be better for all of us here if there is no bad news to give the negotiators.”

“Yeah,” Smolder said. “You wouldn’t want to give them bad news.”

Blackburn made a gesture with one hand. It was like he’d used his own magic—every soldier in the room lowered their weapons at that moment. “Compromise. Alright. You say that was a message. I saw the recording on the way here, that was what it looked like. So tell us what it said.”

Gallus was still glaring at him, though at least he wasn’t baring his claws and beak at the soldiers anymore. “Let us decide if we want to.”

Blackburn frowned deeply at them all. There was only one section without any soldiers in it, the corner with the cots where David and Helen were still hiding. “Go on then. I’ll wait.”

Marie followed them across the room. While the Equestrians ignored her human friends, she was surprised to see they made room for her. She didn’t need to be told the little spot in the circle was for her, she could feel it with her magical senses. A little bit of gravity, pulling her into place.

“Should we?” Ocellus asked, her voice the quietest whisper Marie had ever heard. She wasn’t sure she would’ve understood it at all, except that Ocellus’s thoughts were equally open to her. “Remember, they’re listening to everything we say.”

“Not feeling much like it,” Smolder said. “Threatening us doesn’t make me feel like talking.”

“What happens if we don’t?” Silverstream asked. “When it…”

“Don’t look at me,” Gallus muttered. “I didn’t even read it.”

Their eyes settled on Marie. “These are your people,” Ocellus said. “You’re… maybe the only one here who can understand both of us.”

“How does she know?” Gallus asked, a little annoyance creeping into his voice. “Marie was on the other side of the room.”

Ocellus just tapped her head with one hoof. “She’s part changeling. I told her.”

“Oh.”

That had bought her maybe twenty seconds to think about her answer. Not much—and the longer they gathered here, the more nervous the soldiers became. Whatever goodwill she earned with her daring would not last much longer.

Do I trust people to do the right thing?

It wasn’t even a question. What would she have done? “Tell them,” she said. “You already answered their questions, you already took their tests. They can use the message as a way to prove their peaceful intentions. Good people don’t need to keep hostages. We’re good.”

She watched the moment of decision pass through the Equestrians, their feelings far easier to understand than even her friends’ were.

“I don’t see how,” Gallus said.

“If Marie thinks so,” Silverstream countered. “We should listen to her. It won’t matter soon anyway.”

“Fine.” He lowered his head. “I… agree with Silverstream.”

“Alright,” Smolder said. “One last chance.”

They didn’t have far to go—Marie followed Smolder and Ocellus, staying near the front in case she had to put herself in front of the soldiers again.

“You’ll probably need a little background,” Ocellus said. “About the letter. See, we were all… students. And the headmare of the school was the one who sent us that letter. When we arrived here in England, we were doing our capstone project.”

“That’s too much,” Smolder said dismissively. “The point is, Twilight is one of the most powerful ponies in Equestria. She’s a princess—tons of magic, probably neurotic, you know the type.”

“Uh…” Blackburn muttered. Marie didn’t have to guess at how confused he’d become. At first the humans had felt suspicious, but Ocellus’s reveal had been so confusing to them that now they were completely confounded. “Let’s say I do. Continue.”

“The letter used something called Dragonfire,” Smolder went on. “It’s pretty much the best way to get letters anywhere, because dragons are awesome. And it said…”

“She’s coming to get us,” Ocellus finished. “Tomorrow morning.”

“Is that…” The commander glanced to one side, to one of the soldiers nearby. They exchanged words Marie couldn’t hear, then, “I don’t see how that’s possible. None of your people have tried to run the NATO blockade. The Americans have made it clear they aren’t going to let that happen. If I know the Yanks for anything, it’s that they’re eager to shoot.”

“I don’t think she’ll have to ‘run’ anything,” Ocellus said. “Twilight Sparkle is a princess. I’m sure she has a way of finding us here. I know she can do long-range teleports. It might be hard to find us normally, but we’re probably the strongest source of magic in your whole country. She couldn’t miss us.”

“We’re not telling you this to ask permission,” Gallus said, raising his voice over the Commander. “We’re telling you because we’re leaving. When she gets here. So either you hold us hostage and attack one of the four ruling princesses of Equestria, or… you let her take us when she gets here.”