• Published 15th Oct 2018
  • 6,637 Views, 758 Comments

Friendship Abroad - Starscribe



Ocellus and her friends only planned to sail to Manehattan for their final project. They never imagined a storm could take them... a little further than that.

  • ...
17
 758
 6,637

Chapter 17

As it turned out, human mothers were not easier to fool than Changeling Queens. Despite lacking magical senses, despite lacking every kind of magic so far as Ocellus could tell, the woman she knew only as “Mom” had barely even listened to her convincing list of excuses.

“You could’ve been killed,” she kept saying, as they rode together in one of the largest mechanical carriages Ocellus had seen yet. But there was no way to enjoy the experience with the hand wrapped tightly around her wrist and the constant anger and frustration the woman radiated like a cloud.

Maybe Chrysalis hadn’t been such a bad parent after all.

“I always told you they were trouble,” she said, when they exited the metal box and were walking down the street. Ocellus had a few new bandages on her body from where the medical people had stuck her with needles and taken blood, but otherwise they hadn’t tried to keep her. Maybe because they hadn’t found anything meaningfully wrong with her, despite her claims to a fall. “It was a mistake to let them visit outside the house. That Helen girl should’ve stayed where she belongs.”

She didn’t actually try to reply, every time she’d done that before the woman just got angrier. So she kept her eyes on the ground, looked appropriately submissive, and walked in silence.

It’s a good thing they didn’t have you, real Marie. They were way cleverer than pony doctors—you never could’ve hidden from them. Ocellus herself couldn’t be sure if her own powers had been enough to hide completely, but they had sent her home with Marie’s mother, so that probably meant they’d been fooled.

Probably.

To Ocellus’s surprise, she felt a response this time. The presence of another mind at such a great distance was tenuous at best, with none of the lighter emotional information present. Only something as distinct and intentional as actual words could reach through from so far away, and even then her voice sounded feeble and weak.

“Ocellus, am I hearing you?”

“Yes!” She perked up, breaking her little illusion and nearly tearing free of the woman’s hand.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

“N-nowhere.” She forced her face back into the mask, eyes down.

“Not to school,” she said. “Closed on account of the national emergency. So you get off on that one, if only by a hair.”

She was barely even listening. “Are you safe? Did you escape the forest?”

Pause. “Yeah, we’re safe. I don’t know where we are. I think your friends broke into someone’s flat? Seems safe enough, so long as no holidaymakers show up to use it. Probably won’t at this time of year, but… Christ this is weird. Feels like I’m just thinking to myself.”

“You aren’t.” They stopped in front of an ugly brown building with several front doors in a row. Eyes watched from the nearby windows as they approached, and the woman finally let her go as she unlocked three separate bolts, fingers shaking every minute.

Then they were inside, and she yanked at Ocellus’s sleeve, pointing. “You know where you’re going.” It wasn’t a question, but Ocellus didn’t know where she was going.

From the commanding tone, she guessed this was the discipline that Marie had feared her mother would bring down on her. She’d been right. “Uh… yeah. I know.”

“Then go. I’ll think about giving you supper, if you can come up with a convincing apology.”

Ocellus wandered up the steps, frowning as she took in her first visit to a human dwelling. It was considerably less impressive than their medical facilities, with a strange half-rotten smell about everything and lots of empty-looking containers everywhere. The stairs themselves had been so stacked with square containers that she could only pass through a single aisle to the top floor.

The woman at the bottom was still watching her, hands on her hips. “Don’t get smart with me, young lady. Go.”

She opened her mouth, then felt the surge of anger from below and just shut it again. Where would an angry human want her disobedient spawn to go?

The nearest door was propped open with so many blankets and oversized bags that she wasn’t sure she even could’ve shut it. But on the other side of the hall was a sudden transition, where the layer of filth on the floor ended and she could see soft carpet. There was pink furniture inside, and a few dresses hanging in the closet.

Marie’s room. She hurried inside, and was relieved to feel the anger from downstairs ebb slightly. “You stay in there until supper, and we can talk about how long you’re grounded. But you come out for anything that isn’t the toilet and I’ll lock it next time.”

Ocellus shuddered, feeling her sympathy for the young human grow just a bit. She knew she was going to suffer this when she got home, but she went anyway to help us. No wonder their love had felt so strong when they arrived in the middle of the storm.

Good thing, too. I’m going to need every drop of magic I can get.

Ocellus took in the room in a single quick glance. However strange humans might look, the way they lived didn’t appear that different. A bed against one corner, clothes in the closet, and a desk packed with books and papers. This was what she used for whatever school had apparently been canceled.

“Oh, that reminds me! A message came back from… the place you’re from, I think? The others seemed excited about it. You know a ‘Twilight’?”

Yeah. What did she say?”

Marie told her, apparently reading directly from the scroll. Her accent was easier to understand now that they were communicating directly, though there was still an obvious taste of something alien.

Alien, yet also a changeling now too, at least a little.

“You said they put you back with my mum?” Marie asked, as soon as she’d finished reading everything.

“Yeah.” She went through the whole story as quickly as she could, about being driven into the makeshift cloth buildings and the interviews that followed. But there hadn’t been any violence, and she wasn’t hurt, so the story didn’t last that long.

“You think they don’t know you were a fake?”

“Probably not,” Ocellus answered, settling down on the edge of the mattress. It was much softer than she’d expected, and she quickly spread out, letting the soft cloth wrap around her. So far from her friends, it was nice to have something comfortable. “I don’t think they were looking for changelings. They were mostly worried that I was—that you were hurt. But when they couldn’t find anything, then sent me away. I didn’t see your other friends again.”

“I’m sure they’ll be fine. Helen's family has so much money they can make any problems go away. You should be more worried about yourself. Your transformation-thing was really convincing to me, but… it seems too good to believe that they wouldn’t notice anything. Did mom say anything about what they told her?”

“No.”

“Weird. Well, uh… watch your back, I guess. Hopefully your magic is just too perfect.” But she didn’t sound like she believed it.

Ocellus had no idea what that meant, and she didn’t ask. “Twilight Sparkle wants us to stay hidden and let Equestria worry about the diplomacy.” That was probably for the best, given the trouble they’d caused in just a few days.

I did plenty of that myself with you, Marie. But she didn’t send that message—how was she supposed to tell the girl that she should’ve let her die? Sometimes the smartest choice wasn’t always the best, and this felt like one of those times.

“The leader, I think… Smolder? Yeah, her. She says we’ll just hide here for now until you can get back to us. But I told them that might not be right away. I don’t know where this is, and I’m guessing you’re grounded.”

“If grounded is being told not to leave this room, then yes.” Ocellus sat up from the strange human bed, picking up one of Marie’s books at random and letting it fall open on the desk. It was all almost entirely numbers inside, arranged into regular patterns and groups. Math problems.

She’s just a filly, give her a break. She doesn’t have to learn all this at her age.

But Ocellus was letting her instincts think for her, and that was a mistake no changeling should make. Just because Marie and the other humans looked adorable and helpless didn’t mean they really were.

Yeah, so it might be a while. And I don’t know how far away we are. They said it took them hours to get here, and you guys seem pretty fast.”

“That won’t be a problem.” Ocellus pulled over the human chair and sat down, beginning to finger through some of the other books. There was bound to be something on culture here with so many of the thick squares to look through. Something that would help her imitate Marie more convincingly. “I could open the window and fly to you when it gets dark.”

“No you bloody can’t,” Marie snapped, her fear and anger suddenly so strong that it managed to cross the connection between them. “She’s got an alarm on my window, and all the doors. You can’t just open it, or she’ll know! If I come back after that, she’ll bloody kill me.”

She sighed, pushing aside another uninteresting book. “I can wait a little bit. Have you tried going fishing with Silverstream yet? Letting her use her pearl on you is the quickest way to learn what it feels like. If you figure it out without me, then we can switch back real quick.”

“I think we’re going as soon as it gets dark,” Marie answered. There was a long silence from her side, then. “I heard that the floods might kill hundreds of people. The telly said they weren’t as bad as anybody thought, but… it’s still going to destroy homes all over the country. Did you do this?”

“You read me the letter. Twilight doesn’t even know, and she’s one of the smartest magical experts in Equestria. But I know ponies—they don’t like killing. I’m sure if they knew humans had died, they’d be heartbroken.”

But if they didn’t know already, they would probably learn soon. Twilight’s letter had suggested they were beginning diplomatic contact right away. What that would look like, and how it would work, Ocellus could only be glad was being left to others. Let smarter ponies than her solve those problems.

“Don’t make her upset,” Marie begged. “I know she’s harsh, but she’s my mum. She’s the only family I have left. Please don’t make her hate me.”

Why do you care so much, if this is how she treats you? But Ocellus didn’t send that. Unlike the new changeling, she knew exactly how to send a thought, and how to keep one to herself. She was no young drone anymore. “I’ll do what she says. Locking me up in here might be an… advantage, in a way. Less chances to be discovered as a fake if I’m stuck in here all the time.” Assuming I don’t completely lose my mind before we can switch back.

“I’ll tell Smolder and the others you’re okay, and try to learn when we go fishing. You… probably shouldn’t tell my mum that my phone broke. We’ll just have to hope she doesn’t call you while you’re grounded.”

Ocellus wasn’t sure about what that meant exactly, but then, she didn’t really understand very much at all of how these humans did things. Hopefully I get a chance to spend more time with her human friends. Equestria could probably use the diplomatic help.

Gritting her teeth, Ocellus gathered up a handful of the books she hadn’t looked at yet, and carried them over to Marie’s bed to start searching. If she was going to be locked in prison, she’d make her time count for something.

There, that book looked promising. “Photographic World History, WW2 to Present.” Here we go. Let’s see what you humans on your little island are like…