• Published 15th Oct 2018
  • 6,624 Views, 758 Comments

Friendship Abroad - Starscribe



Ocellus and her friends only planned to sail to Manehattan for their final project. They never imagined a storm could take them... a little further than that.

  • ...
17
 758
 6,624

Chapter 26

It was a good thing for everyone that Ocellus had seen the capabilities of humans and warned her friends—otherwise, she was sure that at least one of them would’ve reacted violently to the “tests” the humans had in mind. What she’d imagined as some questions and maybe an essay actually involved more of what she’d done when she impersonated Marie—lots of moving from machine to machine, along with a few long metal needles to take some of her blood and more of her dignity.

All the while there were humans in those stupid suits, their voices sounding ridiculous and their expressions constantly afraid of everything she did. She probably would’ve thought it was hilarious, if she was together with her friends to laugh about it.

But they weren’t together. Even the humans were taken away to their own rooms. What things were like for them, she didn’t know, but she imagined there might be a shout from down the hall at any moment, as Smolder or maybe Gallus could take no more and broke out. It was a true testament to how much they’d grown since arriving in Equestria that nothing violent happened.

Ocellus could obey easier than maybe any other creature in the group, thanks to living so long under Chrysalis. She went where they told her, changed when they told her, and didn’t argue.

Eventually, they finished. She could sense it before they actually finished, from the satisfaction and pride she felt from the doctors. “That’s everything, miss Ocellus. Thank you for being such a good patient.”

“You’re welcome,” she responded, rising from the scanner and shaking herself out. They had wanted her to be her natural self for most of the test, and that hadn’t been too hard. At least they didn’t want her to show off too much of her magic. “Can I see my friends now?”

“Yes,” the doctor responded. “The others should all be together already. You were the subject we needed to learn the most about, since you were the one who changed that girl.”

She followed the doctor to the door, biting back her giggles at the way he waddled in his inflatable suit. “Do you really think you’ll have to keep dressing like that? The other humans were around us, and they’re fine.”

“Probably not for much longer,” his assistant said from behind them. “Some of the tests take 72 hours to get results back. We’ll probably stay in biohazard until then.”

Glad they didn’t make us dress like that. Her friends had become far more patient since attending the friendship school, but they had their limits. If Smolder had to wear a suit like that, she would melt it off in hours.

The doctors were right about one thing, though—her friends were already together waiting for her.

Like all the rooms Ocellus had been in, this large space had the look of somewhere that had been used to store vehicles. The ground was made of the featureless flat rock that humans used in so much of their construction. The ceiling was high enough that even the tallest pony would’ve stood nowhere near it, yet there wasn’t a single window to be seen.

There were a few human tables and chairs off in one corner, along with three little folding bunks. Probably meant for the humans to sleep on. For her friends, there was mostly just empty space, though at least their hosts had provided them with huge piles of bedding.

They had separated into two groups—Marie and her friends sitting at one of the tables, playing with some unidentifiable human device between them. They looked unhurt from their half of the tests, which was more than she could say for her friends.

The other five looked like they were a few steps away from rioting, with each one looking a different kind of frustrated or annoyed. They haven’t slept, we barely ate, and that was hours getting marched around like we’re exhibits on display.

The instant they saw her, she could feel her friends attention on her. Their usual acceptance and trust in her had worn down to a razor thin line. What happens if I lose control of them in here?

Ocellus hurried over to her friends, fast enough that she got nervous looks from the doctor escorting her. But she didn’t much care what that human thought anymore. She needed to stop this from getting bloody.

“I don’t know how much longer you expect us to sit here,” Gallus said, almost the instant she was in the circle. “That was worse than when Grampa Gruff made me preen every bird in the clutch by myself. Ugh…” He winced, glancing to his wings. Ocellus didn’t need magical senses to see that some feathers were missing.

The signs of their harsh examination were everywhere. The human doctors had been methodical with their exam, even shaving away coat to get at the skin of her friends who had it. Only Smolder lacked any new injuries from her encounter. Guess they couldn’t get through dragon scales.

“First…” Ocellus kept her voice as low as she could, not that she expected it to matter. “Just cuz their ears are small doesn’t mean they aren’t listening. Don’t say anything you don’t want them to overhear.”

Whatever Gallus had been about to say choked off in his throat, and instead he only scraped at the stone floor with a claw, looking frustrated.

“I don’t care what they overhear,” Smolder said. “This is like a prison, Ocellus. How far are you willing to go not to fight with them?”

If we were going to fight our way out, we probably should’ve done it before now. Everything they’d done to cooperate with humans had probably put them further into their power. Ocellus’s memory was much better than a pony’s, but even still she wasn’t sure she could remember the maze of corridors and locked doors they had navigated to get here. It was like the changeling hive, though it managed to be just as confusing without any magic paths.

Unlike Smolder, Ocellus did care what the humans overheard. The more of their group they thought were united against them, the less likely they were to cooperate nonviolently.

“I think…” She hesitated. “We give them tonight. Tomorrow, we should ask… to be able to talk to Equestria. As a show of good faith.” It was a weak argument, Ocellus knew. But maybe--

“I don’t think they’ll let us out of this place,” Gallus muttered. “Seems like they worked pretty hard to get us locked in here. If they took us out to see Princess Twilight, they might not get us back.”

“Oh, that won’t be a problem,” Ocellus answered, without needing to think about it. “Humans have machines that let them talk really quickly. They’re called ‘phones’ and I think they might be like their cutie marks? Except they break, and they need to get new ones… Okay, maybe I don’t understand it all the way. But they worked for me too, so there’s no magic involved. They could give one to somepony, and… they could talk.”

“I guess so.” Smolder sounded unhappy. “I wish we’d asked for rescue when we had the chance. We could’ve brought them too.” She nodded towards the three children on the other side of the room. “They’re getting it as bad as we are. We wouldn’t lock them up in a dungeon if they came to the Dragonlands.”

“I don’t know what it says about them…” Silverstream added. “That they’ll even lock up their own kind in a dungeon. Not just the creatures from far away.”

It’s a good thing you didn’t read the books I did, Silverstream, Ocellus thought.

But whatever they might’ve planned next was silenced as Smolder began to cough and splutter. It wasn’t just Ocellus’s attention that had been captured—the human “guards” in their inflatable suits were watching in concern. One of them had lifted their hand to the strange weapon on the strap at their side.

“Stop it!” one of them called, utterly unhelpfully.

Smolder couldn’t stop it—she coughed and spat and the stream of Dragonfire filled the air in front of her. It was a good thing none of those thin suits were nearby, or she surely would’ve melted through them. But with nothing nearby, there was nothing for her to hurt. They all knew how to get out of the way.

A scroll dropped down into her claw, sealed with Twilight’s cutie mark.

“Oi, don’t touch that!” called one of the guards. “You back away!”

That, it seemed, was one straw too far. While Smolder completely ignored them, Gallus stood up straight, blocking the path towards Smolder.

“That’s not your mail, it’s ours,” he called. “What’s it say?”

Both guards took their weapons firmly in hand. One of them turned slightly to one side. They were saying something into their suit, though it wasn’t repeating their words towards them.

He’s probably calling for help. There’s a phone in there.

Smolder unrolled the scroll, then started to read. It was a brief note, so it didn’t take long. There was no return scroll this time, just the enchanted paper it had come in, the spell already worn out.

“‘My faithful students,

I’m relieved to hear you’re well. I’ve passed your advice to Celestia and Luna, who have already met with the creatures called Humans. A peaceful future seems possible, though I’m told the first meeting was tense.

We’ve made sure not to mention you, in the hopes that you can remain hidden until we can retrieve you.

My contributions to disaster relief are nearly complete. My friends and I…’” She stopped reading. “I don’t think I should read this. Everyone, look.”

They all crowded around, except Gallus. Ocellus moved in to see, even though she could sense more humans rushing towards them from all sides. It hadn’t taken them very much to get afraid.

Twilight’s writing continued. “...are preparing for a mission to retrieve you tomorrow at dawn, as soon as I can recover enough for a long-range teleport spell. Be prepared to leave with sunrise.”

Ocellus’s breath caught in her chest, as she imagined what it would be like tomorrow morning, when Twilight Sparkle appeared down here in this tight dungeon, oblivious to the dangers and the fear it would cause.

They’re already terrified of us. What will it do if they figure out that we have ponies like Twilight who can appear anywhere in the world at any time?

She didn’t know for sure if the Alicorn would be able to teleport to them down here, but she doubted the humans had any way of preventing it. She had sensed no magical defenses.


Doors on three sides of the room banged open at the same time, and a dozen puffy inflatable humans rushed in, each of them holding weapons. They screamed and yelled in unison, voices echoing through the facility. “Everyone on the ground, right now!”

Smolder hesitated, just for a second. Long enough to blow out a thick gout of flame onto the scroll. It crumbled to ash, raining down in a little gray cloud in front of her. Then, grinning smugly every second, Smolder said, “Do it. We don’t need to be afraid anymore.”

They dropped. The poor humans in their corner looked as though they might’ve peed themselves, fallen flat on the ground and covering their heads in desperation.

Only when they were all down did another figure stride in—Commander Blackburn, wearing the same suit as everyone else and also not holding a gun. He walked in briskly, though the face inside his suit had more fuzz on one side than the other. His eyes were a little bloodshot, and his annoyance was thick in the air.

“I rather thought we were getting along better than this,” he said, stopping well out of reach but closer than any of the others. “This is precisely the sort of situation I was hoping most to avoid.”