• Published 29th Jul 2018
  • 595 Views, 2 Comments

Argument of the Century - MorbidTheBrony



Aria and Sonata have a serious argument over a very complicated question.

  • ...
 2
 595

Two Sides

You know that feeling when today was just like any other day but then there's just that one thing that changes it completely? Because that's what happened here.

Sonata Dusk was innocently drinking a bottle of water while watching TV. Her sister, Aria Blaze, was there watching TV with her. They were watching some dumb movie about dinosaurs whose island was exploding. Sonata took the bottle of water away from her lips and sighed.

"You enjoying that water, Sonata?" Aria asked.

"Yeah," Sonata answered. "Why?"

Aria pointed at the water bottle. "Because you really made short work of it."

Sonata looked at bottle and saw that she did indeed 'make short work of it'. It was already empty. She continued looking directly at the bottle until a thought came to mind. She turned to Aria.

"Hey Aria, y'know that argument on whether water is wet or not?" she asked.

Aria puffed out of her nose. "Yes, I do."

"Well, what side are you on?"

Aria actually had to think about her answer. She didn't exactly have a lot of knowledge on water but she probably knew enough to determine whether it's wet or not.

"Uuh, I say water is wet." Was Aria's answer.

"Well, I say water isn't wet." Sonata tossed her bottle over her shoulder.

Aria looked at Sonata as if she actually had an idea. "What makes you think water isn't wet?"

"What makes you think water is wet?"

"No, no, I asked you first! Why isn't water wet?"

"Well, to say that something is wet means that the water on that something can be removed," Sonata explained.

"Okay?"

"For example: say this is you, "Ugh! My hair got wet! Now I have to go and get it dried!""

"That sounds more like Adagio."

Sonata pointed a finger directly to Aria. "Be quiet! Anyway, you can't say something like, "Oh no! My bath water is wet! Whatever will I do?""

Aria just got more and more confused. "That doesn't even make any sense!"

"What are you two arguing about this time?" Adagio entered the room.

"Oh, hi Adagio. Aria and I have a score to settle!"

"That's not what that means!" Aria pointed out.

"Whatever. Just don't argue so loud, please? I need cereal." Adagio walked into the kitchen.

They both continued with the argument.

"Listen Sonata, I don't understand the points you're trying to make. They're just ridiculous!"

"Oh yeah? Well then, Smarty-pants, what's your excuse?"

Aria still knew little about water. "Well... because water is, like, a liquid. You know, H2O?"

"But how can you make a liquid wet if you need a liquid to make it wet?"

Aria put her hand on her head. "My brain hurts!" she complained.

"Fire!" Sonata announced.

"Wait, what?!" Aria looked around the room.

"No, not an actual fire, Silly-Billy. I'm saying what about fire?"

"What about fire?"

Sonata continued explaining, "Well, we all know that fire burns things but it's not in and of itself burned, right?"

"Uuh..."

Sonata got closer to Aria's face. "Say the same thing about water, it may be able to wet things but it isn't in and of itself WET!"

"Ooh, sounds like Sonata's beating you in this argument, Aria!" Adagio called from the kitchen.

"Shut up, Adagio!" Aria shouted.

Aria refused to believe that she was losing an argument to the likes of Sonata. It was Sonata, for goodness sake! It's almost impossible not to prove her wrong. It was like she grew a brain this morning!

Sonata placed a hand on Aria's shoulder. "Do you want me to put it simpler for you?"

Aria sighed. "Please."

"Follow me."

Sonata got up from the couch and wandered off. Aria followed behind her. They both entered the kitchen. Sonata looked out a cup and filled it with water. She snuck behind Adagio and poured almost half the cup onto her.

"SONATA!!" Adagio roared.

Sonata wasn't paying her now wet sister any attention and continued with her simpler explanation. "Okay, so you see that this Adagio here is now wet, right?"

"Okay?" Aria said with a finger on her chin.

Sonata looked out a tea towel and rubbed it against Adagio's face. "Well, if you rub a towel against said Adagio, it becomes dry."

Adagio growled like a lion at her blue-haired sister.

"But see the water that's still in the cup? It cannot, I repeat, CAN-NOT be dried!"

Aria seriously didn't know what to say then. It sounded crazy but somehow she was making more and more sense. If Aria didn't think of anything now, she'd for sure lose the argument and that cannot happen.

She was frantically looking around for something to help her. "Um, uh- Adagio, what do you think?"

"Listen, I really don't care and it sounds like Sonata's going to win this anyway," Adagio answered before walking out of the kitchen. "Anyway, if you would excuse me, I'm going to get changed thanks to Sonata." She glared daggers at Sonata.

Aria and Sonata were both alone again.

"Just admit it, Aria, I've won this argument. Water isn't wet!"

"Water is wet and I will prove it to you!" The problem, however, was that she didn't know how she was going to.


You want to know how long it's taking Aria to prove her sister wrong? Days. It's taking her days. She just couldn't admit she was wrong.

Aria was currently sitting at the kitchen table thinking of another excuse to help her out. Nothing came up, however.

"Ready to admit you're wrong yet?" Sonata asked, bored.

"No! I'm not wrong!" Aria shouted back.

"Oh, for goodness sake!" Adagio blurted out. She pulled out her phone and began typing.

"What'cha typing, Dagi?" Sonata asked her other sister.

"If you two can't settle this yourself, I might as well step in." She pulled up a website and began reading it word for word. "Water molecules are surrounding other water molecules to make water so doesn't that mean water is wet because it is surrounded by its self? And you need a liquid to make something wet. H2O molecules coming in contact with another molecule or object, there fore i just answered my own question. Water is wet because you need H2O molecules to make something wet and H2O molecules surrounding themselves thus making water wet. Try making something wet without a liquid."

"Wait a minute, so that means..." Sonata began.

Aria jumped up excited. "HA! I WAS RIGHT!" She began laughing furiously.

"Wait, no, it can't be!" Sonata was now beginning to worry. "Gimme that phone!" She took Adagio's phone from her and read the article. She couldn't believe what she was reading, she was proved wrong. But wait... "It- it doesn't count!"

"What? What do you mean it doesn't count?" Aria asked.

"It wasn't you who proved me wrong. It was Adagio," Sonata explained.

"I guess the only way for Aria to win now is for her to say what I just read," Adagio stepped in.

Sonata nodded. "That sounds fair."

"Wh-" Aria facepalmed. "Fine! Water molecules surrounding... umm... H2O and... stuff..."

"Tick tock, Aria!"

"Uh, umm... Ugh!! Darnit!!" Aria groaned loudly.

Adagio hummed. "I think we now know who the winner is."

Sonata was about to open her mouth to talk but Adagio had beaten her to it.

"Me, because I was the one who proved you wrong! Water is wet but Aria couldn't prove it to you so I did!"

"What?! No-!"

Adagio shushed Sonata. "You even said it yourself. I proved you wrong, I win!" And with that, Adagio left the wrong, leaving the other two with eachother with disbelief across their faces.

"So... umm..." Sonata began. "You wanna finish that dinosaur movie?"

"That was a couple of days ago, Sonata," Aria replied.

"I recorded it, c'mon."

Aria shrugged and followed her sister onto the couch. Sonata turned the TV on and they watched their movie together.


1 Hour Later

"That movie sucked!" Aria said.

Author's Note:

You can take a wild guess what YouTube video gave me the idea for this.

If you answered Chaz Smith, you'd be right.

This was just a filler story I whipped up within a day. I've always wanted to write a random Dazzling story but I just couldn't even think of what it should be about.

Comments ( 2 )

I'll stick my oar in and rile the waters.

I would argue that despite water molecules having "contact" with other water molecules, they do not make each other wet because "wetness" is a metaphysical property that is not a scientific description, but is a way for us to describe the world on the macro level. Saying water molecules make each other wet is faulty because they don't actually have any contact with each other but are bound by atomic force, whereas, from our perspective, water is "on" a blanket; the blanket is wet.

Is water water...

Login or register to comment