• Published 30th Jul 2012
  • 16,696 Views, 405 Comments

Geoverse Part One: To Friend Is Human - GeodesicDragon



After being shot, I ended up in a new world and eventually found love with one of its inhabitants. But Fate had other ideas in mind for our fledgling relationship...

  • ...
92
 405
 16,696

Reciprocation

The next morning, I was woken up by something – or, rather, somepony – poking me. I sat up on the bed and rubbed my eyes, yawning and stretching — a series of satisfying pops telling me that I was limbered up. "Good morning, Geo!" Twilight said cheerfully. "It's time for your first day of work! Are you excited?"

I looked at her groggily. "What time is it?" I asked.

"The time?" Twilight queried. "It is eight o' clock in the morning."

"Wow." I gave a small laugh. "There's actually an 8am? I can't remember when I was last up this early."

Twilight looked at me. "What time do you usually get up at?" she asked, levitating her notebook and quill over to her.

"I didn't start work until six at night," I said smugly. "So as a result I usually got up at noon, sometimes even one in the afternoon."

"Hmm, interesting," Twilight scribbled some notes. "And are all humans like that?"

Is she seriously taking notes about my sleeping habits?

"Not all of us," I replied. "Just me, anyone else who works a night shift, and those without jobs, if they feel like it."

Twilight scribbled down some notes as Spike burst in and looked at me with awe. His eyes were wide and sparkling, and I could tell that he had been eavesdropping on the conversation. "You can sleep in until noon?" he asked, his voice full of amazement. "I can only dream of something like that! Hey, Twilight, can I—"

"Maybe at the weekend," Twilight interrupted, something about her tone of voice telling me that Spike wouldn't have stopped going on about it had her answer been 'no.'

"Thanks, Twilight!" Spike pumped the air with a small fist and grinned from ear to ear, clearly relishing the thought. Twilight smiled at him warmly, then suddenly turned to face me.

"I almost forgot," she said, levitating two small boxes into the room and placing them on the floor. "These arrived for you earlier. Rarity got your clothes finished quicker than she expected, so she sent them over. The other box is from Princesses Celestia and Luna." I clambered out of of bed. "Oh, my." She blushed profusely. "Could you... could you possibly put some clothes on?"

Confused, I glanced down at myself — cursing under my breath when I saw that I was only wearing my boxers. I quickly threw a pair of trousers on and went over to the boxes. Since I was desperate for a change of clothes I opened the one from Rarity first, and saw that there was a note inside:

Dear Geo,

Here are your clothes, which I hope you find to your liking. As you will see, I have made you a whole week's worth; I followed your instructions, and the items are as plain as the clothes you were wearing when I first met you... no offence.

Do not worry about paying me, as the Princesses have already taken care of it — but even if they hadn't, I still wouldn't take payment. I am doing this because I see you as a friend.

I hope to see you again sometime. And once again, welcome to Equestria! I hope you enjoy your stay.

Kindest Regards,

Rarity.

I put the note down and opened the box to find several t-shirts, similar to the one I was wearing, as well as a few pairs of trousers. The items were all black or white in colour, which suited me just fine. Digging further into the box, I saw that Rarity had even made socks and underwear. "What a fantastic mare," I chuckled. "This stuff is a hell of a lot better than anything I'd get on Earth."

I put the box next to the sofa and took some of the items across to the bathroom. After a quick shower, which I had to crouch to fit into, I changed into the new clothes and put the dirty ones into the bin. It feels great to be in clean clothes again. Feeling refreshed, I picked up the other box and opened it. Inside was a small burlap sack and another note, bearing what looked like a royal seal.

Dear Geo,

Celestia and I hope that you are settling in well to your new life in Equestria. This is a big change for you, so we both understand that things will be tough. To help you get started, please find enclosed a sack containing a modest two hundred bits.

As you know, your job is to assist Twilight Sparkle in her library; you will be paid an additional one hundred bits a week for this. Please tell Twilight that Celestia has seen fit to increase her student stipend in order to accommodate paying your wages.

If you ever need to talk, we are always available. Our royal duties are many, but we will always have time to spare for our subjects, no matter who – or what – they are.

Regards,

Princess Luna
Princess Celestia

I put the letter back in the box and picked up the sack. Looking inside, I could see several golden coins which glinted in the morning sunlight. "This must be the Equestrian currency," I said to myself. "I might as well make use of it."

"You can do that after you've done some work," Spike said from behind me. "Now hop to it, I need to show you how the shelving system works." A loud crash from downstairs made me jump. "And what better day to do that... than re-shelving day?"

I put the sack of coins on the bed and dutifully followed Spike downstairs, to find Twilight surrounded by what looked like every book in the library. She grinned at us as we came downstairs, and soon I was being tutored on how to put the books back in their rightful places — although I have to admit that it wasn't long before I was wishing that I was back in the hospital.

***

With the last book safely back on the shelf, I looked around for any sign of Twilight. Spike had already left, saying that Rarity wanted his help with finding gems, so I decided to see if Twilight wanted to go out for lunch. "Twilight?" I called out. There was no reply, so I went into the back room, where I saw a journal on her desk. My curiosity got the better of me, so I went over to take a closer look at it — at which point I saw the words 'HUMAN STUDY: VOLUME ONE' emblazoned across the top of the front cover.

'Volume One?' Jeez, how much studying can one pony do?

Glancing through the document, I saw what Twilight had been writing about me. Everything from my dress sense to how I handled pain was recorded. I even saw the notes she had taken at the party the night before — apparently I had performed 'brilliantly' and 'not succumbed to the crazy atmosphere that is generally present at one of Pinkie Pie's parties'.

Reading further, I saw a section which I couldn't read very well due to Twilight's writing. Scrunching my eyes, my brain managed to make out the words 'HUMAN DATING'. "Why would she need to know about that?" I groaned, covering my face with a palm.

"Geo?" Twilight called. "Where are you?" I put the journal back on the desk where I found it, regained my composure and went back into the living room.

"Here I am, Twi," I said calmly. "I've been looking for you."

"You have?" Twilight raised an eyebrow at me. "Why?"

I took the bag of coins out of my pocket. "The Princesses saw fit to send me this," I said. "It's a sack of two hundred bits, and I'm to be paid another hundred a week for helping you and Spike here; Celestia says your stipend is being increased so you can pay me."

"That's good," Twilight replied with a smile. "At least you won't have to worry about money while you're here."

"I know, right?" I shook the bag to listen to the jingling of coins, wondering what tunes I could play. "Anyway, how about lunch? My treat." Twilight looked around for a moment before nodding. "Very well then." I opened the door and held it for her. "Shall we?"

"You go on ahead," Twilight said quickly. "I'll catch up, I just need to er... read something first."

"Okay then. I'll see you at Sugarcube Corner," I said with a shrug, stepping out of the library. As I closed the door behind me, I heard a slight hum. Curious, I put my ear to it and listened.

"No, no, no, nope, not that one either, ah-ha!" Twilight said, oblivious to my presence. I heard pages rustling and realised that she was indeed reading a book. I heard her mumbling something and then the book closing. "It's just a friend taking me to breakfast, nothing more. Then again, it offers a chance to study how humans behave while on a date... if this could even be called a date."

With those words I backed away from the door, then walked to Sugarcube Corner as fast as I could. As I walked, I could only think of one thing.

Today is going to be one of those days.

***

I entered Sugarcube Corner, panting heavily from the large strides I had been doing, and put my hands on my knees. I took several deep breaths, trying to forget what I'd read in Twilight's book, but I eventually made my way to the counter — only to find that there was nopony there to offer service. "Hello?" I called. A series of crashing noises told me that somepony was in the kitchen, so I tried to lean over for a closer look. Suddenly, a face appeared in front of mine, causing me to gasp and fall over in shock.

"Oh, hi, Geo!" Pinkie chirped. "What brings you here at this time?"

"Lunch," I replied, as I dusted myself off. "What else?"

"Okie dokie lokie!" chimed Pinkie, disappearing through to the kitchen again. I scratched my head, a confused look on my face.

"Er, Pinkie?" I asked. "What are you doing?"

She poked her head around the kitchen door. "I'm getting you lunch, silly!" she said with a smile. "I hope you like pancakes!"

I smiled and nodded. "Hell yeah I like pancakes, especially for lunch!" I paused for a moment. "Oh, and could you get something for Twilight as well please? She's supposed to be joining me soon."

"Okay then, I'll make her some pancakes as well," came the jovial reply. "Everypony likes pancakes!"

I chuckled quietly and took a seat, just as Twilight came in. "There you are," I said as calmly as I could. "I was beginning to think you'd forgotten about me. Pinkie's making us pancakes."

"And why on Equestria would I forget about you?" Twilight replied, a tinge of nervousness in her voice. "You offered to treat me to lunch, and I accepted."

Just then, Pinkie arrived with two plates of pancakes. "Enjoy!" she said, putting them down and disappearing in a puff of confetti.

I took a bite of the pancakes and was immediately taken aback by how good they were. I noticed Twilight glancing over at me as she ate her own. "What's wrong, Twilight?" I asked as gently as I could.

She's avoiding your gaze, and is getting nervous when you talk to her. Isn't that how most romances start? My brain asked. Keep pressuring her, and soon you will find out!

"Huh?" Twilight looked puzzled. "No, nothing is wrong. I'm just... it doesn't matter."

"Really?" I replied. "Because it looks like it does matter."

"Well," Twilight murmured. "It's just that... I need to ask you some more questions, since I didn't have enough time for them while you were in the hospital, what with all the doctors studying you."

"You've been asking me questions since I got here," I said nonchalantly, chewing idly on my pancakes. "Why would it be so hard to do that now?"

I knew what was coming, having read her notes, but I wanted to hear it from Twilight. I continued eating as she prepared to speak. "I need..." she began. "I need to ask you about human mating." The shock of hearing that word caused me to nearly choke on my pancakes and Twilight's eyes to widen as she gasped. "I'm sorry!" She said, panic rising. "Is it a delicate subject?"

I thumped my chest with a fist to clear the pancakes which had tried taking a trip into my lungs. "M-mating?!" I said, loud enough to earn me some curious stares from the other customers.

"Well, yes." Twilight nodded. "The Princesses did say that they wanted me to learn everything about humans, after all."

I could feel myself turning redder than I ever thought possible; I felt like a London traffic light. Twilights eyes looking into mine, combined with the stares of the other customers, were beginning to make me feel rather uncomfortable indeed.

"All right, I'll answer your questions," I said. Twilight smiled and opened her mouth to speak, but I cut her off with a raised hand. "But not here, given the fact it's too personal."

"Back at the library then?" she asked, her panic replaced with glee.

"Yes," I replied. "Let's finish our lunch and I'll... I'll tell you what you need to know."

Twilight nodded and we both continue eating our pancakes. As we ate, I kept asking myself how I could have possibly mistaken 'mating' for 'dating' in Twilight's journal.

Confound her bad writing...

***

Back at the library I sat on the sofa, mopping the sweat pouring from my brow with a napkin. To say that I was nervous would have been the understatement of the millennium, but Twilight didn't seem to notice as she picked up her journal and quill. She sat down opposite me, her eyes looking into mine and making me turn away.

"You seem rather nervous..." she said. "This isn't part of the human mating process, is it?"

"No!" I replied, my voice squeaking with embarrassment as I gripped the edges of my seat. "No, it isn't!"

"Oh, okay," Twilight seemed disappointed.

"Just... ask me what you need to know," I said quickly.

"Well, I guess the first thing I should ask is, how long does human mating normally last?" Twilight leaned forwards expectantly.

"Fifteen minutes." I made something up on the spot. "Though some humans have been known to go for longer."

"Wow, that's impressive." Twilight gave me a sly smile as she wrote it down and looked at me again. "Stallions are only known to last for an average of three to five minutes; I guess human males have a lot of stamina which helps them in that regard?" I nodded meekly and Twilight scribbled more notes in her journal. "Okay, next question... how long are human women with child?"

"Nine months," I replied, sarcastically thinking that my basic knowledge of biology was finally good for something. "Though premature or late births aren't unheard of."

"Okay," Twilight replied. Once she was done writing, she looked up at me and smiled broadly. "That's it, I'm done. Thanks, Geo."

"Wait, what?" I asked tersely. "That's it?"

"Yep," Twilight nodded, but then she noticed the stern expression on my face. "Unless you want to tell me more?"

I laughed sheepishly. "No, no," I muttered. "There is nothing more that I can tell you about human mating."

Twilight looked at me with concern, her soft purple eyes gazing deep into mine. She furrowed her brow for a moment before letting out a small gasp. "Oh, my. You're a vir— I mean you've never..."

"Had sex?" I turned an even deeper shade of red and laughed madly. "Yeah, you've got me there!"

Twilight looked at the floor as I buried my face in my hands. We sat in silence for a while, neither of us willing to speak. After what seemed like hours, Twilight finally broke it.

"So... why haven't you done it?" she asked softly. "Oh, I hope that isn't too of personal; I'll understand if you don't want to answer."

I sighed. "Well, you know how I had no friends before I got here?" I replied, to which she nodded. "Well, my inability to make friends also extended to talking to the opposite sex. So I found it hard to talk to women. That, and they didn't really like me that much."

"Why not?" she said, looking shocked. "Why would anypony not like you? What possible reasons would they have?"

"I don't know," I shrugged. "They simply told me to leave them alone. It was either that or they'd throw their drinks in my face, or get a male friend to threaten me."

I looked at Twilight and saw that her chest was heaving, her breathing had increased, her mane and tail were somehow dishevelled, and her left eye had developed a tic. "How can they do that?!" she shouted suddenly. "They just don't take the time to get to know you! You're smart, kind, good-looking—"

"Me? Good looking?" I cut her off and let out a hollow laugh.

"Listen to yourself!" she bellowed. "You've got a negative opinion of yourself, simply because somepony else does!" I opened my mouth to speak, but she raised a hoof. "I'm not done yet! I've only known you for a few months, but in that time I like to think that I've got to know you really well. You've been through so much, and asked for nothing in return." I didn't reply. "In fact..." She let out a small, nervous, laugh. "You remind me of me."

"Haven't we already had this conversation?" I chuckled.

"This is different," Twilight said sternly.

"I guess it is," I replied. "Please continue."

"Stallions don't really care much for a mare who reads a lot of books," Twilight said sadly. "Every time I asked a stallion out, he'd either be intimidated by my intellect, or bored by it." She sighed. "I can't tell you how many times my dates walked away and left me, simply because I was using a lot of big words that he didn't understand." Tears started to form in her eyes.

"They seriously did that?" I said loudly, prompting her to turn and face me. "You are who you are, and if nopony can accept that... well... they can go fuck themselves!" My voice was full of anger.

That's the spirit! Let those emotions flow, and soon you will know whether or not she feels the same way about you as you do her!

Twilight wiped the tears from her eyes and sat next to me on the sofa. I opened my arms for a hug, which she gladly accepted. And as we sat there in silence a thought crossed my mind, causing me to chuckle heartily.

"What's so funny?" Twilight asked.

"I finally meet someone who is like me in every way... and she's a completely different species!" I said, laughing again.

Twilight grinned. "Yeah, I know the feeling," she replied. "I meet somepony who is like me in every way... and he's not even a pony!"

We both laughed so much, we ended up falling off off the sofa. After recovering our composure, we stopped laughing and opened our eyes to find that we were face to face.

I let out another small chuckle. "Thanks for listening, Twilight," I said. "I'm glad I can talk t—"

My words were cut off as she suddenly lunged forward and kissed me — something that was unexpected, but not unwelcome. Her lips were soft, and they felt good pressed against mine.

Well, I guess that answers that question.

Unfortunately, I was so taken aback by Twilight's boldness that I forgot to return the kiss. After what seemed like an eternity she broke away from me, her face now resembling one of Applejack's apples. She laughed awkwardly for a moment before looking at the floor. "I-I'm sorry," she said. "I don't know what came over me."

A heavy air of tension hung in the room as we both sat in silence. After a while, I was the one to break it. "Why did you do that?"

"I don't know!" Twilight sighed, looking me in the eyes. "It just felt... right somehow."

"I don't... I don't know what to say," I replied. "My first ever kiss... and it's with another species. Go figure."

"Ever since I first met you, I've been happy in your company. You were another species, injured and helpless, and I felt that I could be the one to take care of you," Twilight explained. "But through all of our conversations about you and your life, I realised that you are more like me than anypony else I've met."

I looked over at the window. The midday sun beat down on Ponyville as the residents passed by. "What are you trying to say, Twi?" I asked her bluntly, though she didn't answer me. "Twilight." I sighed. "What are you try—"

"I'm trying to say that I love you!" she shouted. I looked at her to see that she was shaking like a leaf, tears forming in her eyes as she looked back at me. "I love you..." She muttered. "But you don't feel the same way, since you didn't even return my kiss."

I sighed, putting my arms around her comfortingly. "Of all the ponies here, it's you who has been by my side the most," I said. "It was you who took me to hospital, you were my first visitor when I woke up and it was you who gave me a place to stay and a job. In short, it was you who helped me to start my new life here."

I wiped the tears from her eyes as I continued. "You helped me to realise that it was possible for me to have friends again. You've been with me every step of the way, and I will never forget your kindness." I lifted her head up and brought my face close to hers, causing her to shudder in anticipation. "You have shown me compassion that I never would have got from any human."

"What are you trying to s—" Twilight began.

Now it was my turn to cut her off with a kiss.

A small squeal escaped Twilight's lips and she returned my kiss just as eagerly. At this moment in time, I was happier than I'd ever been. The feeling of this moment was magical, and I was loving every second of it. Soon, Twilight broke off the kiss and smiled at me. "But I thought that... when you didn't—"

"I do love you," I said. "I've loved you for a while now, but because it all felt so rushed I didn't know whether or not I should tell you. So when you kissed me, I was – genuinely – surprised, hence why I didn't return it as soon as I should have."

Twilight giggled. "Oh, that explains a lot," she replied. "The time we spent together in the hospital helped, but when we had our conversation about making friends... that's when I knew you were the one for me."

I put my arms around her, hugging her close. "And you're the one for me," I whispered.

As we kissed again, I realised that for the first time in my life, I had someone – somepony – who truly cared for me. I knew that this was the true start of my new life — and where I belonged.

I belonged here in Equestria.

With the mare of my dreams.