• Published 30th Jul 2012
  • 16,691 Views, 405 Comments

Geoverse Part One: To Friend Is Human - GeodesicDragon



After being shot, I ended up in a new world and eventually found love with one of its inhabitants. But Fate had other ideas in mind for our fledgling relationship...

  • ...
92
 405
 16,691

Introductions and History

I opened my eyes slowly, thinking that everything I'd seen in the last couple of hours had been a dream. The last thing I remembered before blacking out was that pony. But this was no ordinary pony, as it was a brilliant shade of blue and was flying through the air whilst carrying me underneath it.

It had even talked, the shock of which had caused me to pass out again. But now I was awake, and hoping against hope that everything I'd seen had been a sort of psychological defence conjured up by my body in response to being shot.

"Hey, look, y'all," a Southern accent drawled. "It's wakin' up."

It? Who are they calling 'it'?

I looked around and almost immediately spotted the winged blue pony from what I thought had been a dream, except this time there were five others with it. I sat up as fast as I could and pinched myself. Nothing happened so I did it again, and again — but despite my best efforts I couldn't seem to wake up.

The six ponies watched as I pinched myself, various looks of confusion on their faces.

"Now why in the hay is he doing that?" asked the blue one.

"Because I want to be sure," I replied while looking it straight in the eyes. "I want to be sure that I'm not fucking dreaming."

There was a small gasp from the group.

"You... you can talk?" asked a purple pony, the horn on her head telling me that she was a unicorn. A unicorn!

"I can, though I should be the one asking you that question," I replied as I got to my feet, the six ponies clearly taken aback by my six-foot four frame. A yellow pony – which also had wings – let out a squeak and promptly hid behind the others.

"What are you talking about, silly?" asked a pink pony with an even pinker mane. "We've always been able to talk. Except as fillies, when we could only make cute little noises, but we can talk now!" The speed at which she spoke told me that she liked to talk a lot.

"Look, just shut up and tell me where I am and how I can get home," I snarled. "The sooner I wake up, the better."

"And where exactly is 'home', sugarcube?" asked an orange pony. This one looked normal, in that it had neither wings or a horn.

"Scotland, of course," I sighed. "Where else would it be?"

"I've studied every map of the world I can find," the purple unicorn replied. "And I can safely say that such a place doesn't exist."

The colour drained from my face. "Wait, so I'm effectively on another planet? Or maybe even in some weird dimension?"

"Well, I guess that's one way of putting it," a white unicorn replied.

The seven of us stood in silence for a while before the purple one spoke again. "If you're going to be here for a while, then we might as well get to know each other," she said cheerfully. "I am Twilight Sparkle, and these are my friends."

She pointed at the blue pegasus. "That's Rainbow Dash," she said, pointing next at the yellow pegasus. "Fluttershy." She pointed at the white unicorn. "Rarity." She pointed at the pink one. "Pinkie Pie." Finally, she pointed at the orange one. "And that's Applejack."

"Nice to meet you," I replied calmly. "My name is Geo."

"That's a silly name," Pinkie Pie chirped.

"Well..." I replied. "Truth be told, it's actually a nickname. My real name is Chris, but I liked 'Geo' so much I used what's known as the 'Deed Poll' law in my country to legally change my name to it."

"Oh, okay!" Pinkie squealed. "Anyway, you're our new friend now, so that means we have to throw you a par—!"

Twilight quickly stuffed a hoof in her mouth. "No Pinkie, no parties. Geo is clearly not from around here. We have to get him home."

"Parties aren't really my strong suit," I shrugged. "In fact, talking to new people – or ponies in this case – is really hard for me."

"Don't worry," Twilight replied. "Equestria is a very friendly place. If you stick around long enough, you'll soon make lots of friends."

"Equestria?" I queried.

"Equestria is our home," Twilight explained. "It is ruled by Princess Celestia and her sister, Princess Luna. Canterlot is the capital but we're taking you to Ponyville, which is where we live."

"I see." I looked at the six of them. "Can I just say that what surprises me the most about four of you are the horns and wings?"

"Why do you say that?" Twilight asked.

"Pegasi and unicorns are myths where I come from," I replied. "So to actually see two examples of each before my eyes is... amazing."

Twilight smiled. "Well, there are plenty more unicorns and pegasi back home in Ponyville," she said. "Speaking of which, we'd better get you back; I'm sure you'll need to rest after all of this."

"You're not wrong." I yawned. "I'm so tired, I could... I could— argh!" A sudden burst of pain forced me down onto my knees.

"Goodness, what is it?" asked Rarity. "Are you okay?"

I lifted my shirt to reveal that fresh blood was weeping from where I had been shot, staining the grass on which I knelt. Fluttershy went pale and hid behind her wings, Rarity covered her mouth with a forehoof, and Twilight's pupils shrank to pinpricks.

"Oh, fuck," I muttered. "I completely... forgot about what... that crazy son of a bitch did to—"

I passed out yet again before I could finish my sentence.

***

Twilight and the others looked on in horror as Geo fell to the ground, where he stayed motionless. The injury on his back was producing a lot of blood, and Fluttershy summoned all of her courage in order to not pass out herself.

"At least we know where the blood we found came from," Twilight said grimly. "Come on, girls, we need to get him to the hospital."

"Ah'm on it," Applejack said. "C'mon, Rainbow, give me a hoof."

Rainbow Dash nodded and, together, the two of them attempted to lift Geo of the ground. They grunted and strained, sweat forming on their brows while Dash flapped her wings madly in an attempt to gain some lift.

"I can pick him up while he's walking," Dash panted. "Yet I can't pick him up while he's lying on the ground. What's with that?"

"I can only theorise that his centre of gravity is somewhat different to ours," Twilight replied. "So when he is standing, it is somewhere high – like wherever you picked him up the last time – but when he's lying down it's somewhere else." Dash and Applejack tried again to pick Geo up, to no avail. "Stand back, girls, I'll carry him."

"You?" Dash snorted. "No offence, Twilight, but you're not exactly known for your physical strength."

"You're right," Twilight said. "I am not known for my physical strength." She lit her horn. "But my magical strength is considered by Princess Celestia herself to be among the best in Equestria."

With those words, she picked up Geo in her levitation field and slowly began to pick him up. She grunted as the strain took its toll, focusing more magic into her horn to keep him steady.

"Whoa, Twilight," Pinkie Pie said. "I guess we'd better not ever doubt you again!"

"Thanks, Pinkie," Twilight said through gritted teeth, her concentration elsewhere. "Now let's... get him... to Ponyville."

She began walking along the road, carrying Geo in her aura, with the rest of her friends close behind.

***

I opened my eyes slowly... only to squeeze them shut again thanks to the sunlight streaming in through the nearby window.

I got the feeling I was on something soft. Taking the sunlight into account, I opened my eyes again and found that I was in a room in what appeared to be a hospital.

"Oh thank fuck," I said to myself. "That pony stuff was just a weird dream. Just as well someone found me before I died in the street." The door cracked open and I looked towards the door as a doctor entered. But instead of a human doctor like I was expecting, I saw that it was a pony wearing a white coat and a stethoscope. My face fell. "I guess I wasn't dreaming then." I muttered to myself.

The doctor walked over to me. "Ah good, you're awake," he said. "Hello there, I am Doctor Haywick... and you must be this 'Geo' whom everypony is talking about."

"Really?" I asked, looking at him. "They're talking about me?"

"Why, yes," Haywick replied with a hint of nervousness. "Your arrival here has caused quite a stir. Even the Princesses are—"

"Princesses?" I interrupted him. "As in, more than one?"

"Er, yes," he mumbled. "They're on their way here to meet you." I groaned and fell back into the pillows. "Don't worry about it, dear colt." Haywick continued, patting me gently on the shoulder with a forehoof. "Princesses Celestia and Luna are the kindest ponies you could ever hope to meet. I'm sure you'll be fine."

I sighed. "I suppose its to be expected." I said. "After all, it's not everyday an alien appears on the planet."

Haywick chuckled weakly as he looked over my notes. "The wound on your back has healed nicely," he said cheerfully. "But since we've never seen anything like it before, it did take a bit of time."

"How long?" I panicked, thinking I've been out for days.

"A few days," Haywick replied. "Nothing too seri—"

"A few days?!" I screeched, causing Haywick to back away. "You're joking, right? In my world, it can take weeks to recover from a wound like that! Sometimes even months... or years!"

"N-no, I'm not joking," Haywick replied. "Normally, unicorn healing spells take a few minutes to work. But as I said, your wound was unlike anything we've ever seen before."

I visibly relaxed and Haywick took a cautious step towards me.

"Right." I replied. "Sorry for yelling at you like that, Doc, I guess I must have forgotten that I was in a world where magic existed."

I glanced down at where the bullet hole had been. All that remained of it was a small scar.

"Don't worry about it, Geo," Haywick said as he moved towards the door. "Now, we expect you to make a full recovery within the next couple of days. I'll leave you to get some rest now before your meeting with the Princesses. Take care now."

He opened the door, turned out the light and left.

Left alone, I began thinking about how my meeting with the princess would go. "I hope she doesn't ask me if I want to go back," I whispered to myself. "Because from what I've seen of this place, and the ponies who live here... I don't think I'd want to."

With that, I closed my eyes and entered into a deep sleep.

***

The next morning, Twilight woke up early with a smile on her face. She jumped out of bed and opened the window, humming merrily to herself. Passing a basket on the way to the door she prodded a lump in it with a forehoof. "Come on, Spike, it's time to get up!"

"Awww... c'mon, Twilight," Spike grumbled from underneath the warmth of the covers. "Five more minutes."

"No, Spike," she replied sternly. "I have to go see how the new arrival is doing at the hospital!"

Spike groaned and clambered out of bed, the blanket draped around his shoulders. "Exactly," he muttered. "You have to go and see him. So tell me again why I need to get up."

"Because somepony needs to look after the library while I'm gone," Twilight said. "Please, Spike, I really want to go and see him."

"Who is this 'new arrival', anyway?" Spike asked. "And why do you even care about him so much?"

"Well, his name is Geo," Twilight explained. "And he's a... well, I don't know what he is, but that's what I intend to find out!" She indicated a pile of books which were strewn across the nearby desk, including an open one bearing the title Ancient Equestrian Myths and Legends. "I was up most of the night studying, but I fell asleep before I finished reading that one."

"You? Fall asleep before finishing a book? That's new." Spike chuckled, earning himself a glare from Twilight. "So, er, I'm guessing that he's a new species then?"

"Yes," Twilight giggled. "Isn't it exciting?"

"Yeah, totally." Spike replied sarcastically, before suddenly doubling over clutching his stomach. He let out a small belch, causing a scroll to fly from his mouth and land on the ground. Twilight glanced at it and saw that it was adorned with the seal of Princess Celestia. Spike picked it up and opened it before clearing his throat.

"Dear Twilight Sparkle, we are waiting for you at Ponyville General Hospital. I hereby request that you meet us there as soon as possible — and together we will question the creature you and your friends discovered in the Everfree Forest, to better determine our next course of action. Princesses Celestia and Luna."

Twilight grabbed her saddlebags in her levitation field and filled them with as much ink, quills and parchments as they could carry. Sticking a bookmark in Ancient Equestrian Myths And Legends, she put it gently in the bag alongside her stationery.

"You know what, Spike?" she said with a warm smile. "This could take a while, so you can have the day off. I'm sure the library will be fine if I close it for just a day. Go back to bed."

Spike grinned and rushed upstairs. Shaking her head and chuckling, she left the library. But as soon as she stepped outside, she became acutely aware of a large crowd which had assembled outside the hospital in the distance. Steeling herself, Twilight walked the short distance to the building.

Standing on either side of the front door were two unicorns adorned in golden armour, who remained motionless and unflinching while the crowd clamoured to get a better view. Twilight gently pushed her way to the front of the crowd, listening as concerned townsponies formulated their own opinions regarding why the guards were at the hospital.

"You don't think anything has happened to either of the Princesses, do you?" said one. "Because that would be horrible!"

"Have the Changelings come back?" asked another. "If they have, I seriously hope that you kick their flanks this time!"

The guards simply ignored the questions, although one of them noticed Twilight and motioned for her to approach. "Princess Celestia is inside, Miss Sparkle," he said with a nod. "She has been waiting for you."

He opened the door and Twilight entered the hospital. The smell of disinfectant was overpowering, and the light shining off the pure white walls was almost blinding. Twilight groaned and walked up to the reception desk — where another pony, her mane dancing in an unseen breeze, was talking to Doctor Haywick. Were it not for her height, the fact that she had both wings and a horn was enough to make her stand out from the other ponies nearby.

"Princess Celestia!" Twilight called, breaking into a gallop as she approached her mentor. "It's so good to see you again!"

"Twilight Sparkle, my faithful student," Celestia said, bringing Twilight in for a hug. "I got your letter. Shall we go?"

Twilight nodded as Haywick pointed the way down the corridor. "It's the room on the end," he said. "You can't miss it, really."

"So, Twilight, tell me about this 'Geo'," Celestia said as they began to walk. "What have you found out so far?"

"To be honest, Princess..." Twilight replied hesitantly. "I don't really know that much about him." She paused. "Oh, that reminds me, I've still got to finish looking through this book."

Celestia chuckled. "You and your books, Twilight," she said, shaking her head. "Not every answer can be found within them, you know."

Twilight opened the book, looked through it, then tapped a page with a forehoof. "Sorry, Princess, but it looks like you're wrong," she said. "And if this book is correct, then Geo is a human."

Celestia stopped walking and gasped. "A human?!" she parroted. "That's impossible — the humans of Equestria died out over a thousand years ago!" A look of confusion spread across Twilight's face, Celestia noticing it immediately. "As you know, there used to be strife between unicorns, pegasi and Earth ponies."

"Yes," Twilight nodded. "But then we put our differences aside and worked together to found Equestria."

"That is correct," Celestia replied. "But it was not as easy as the stories made it out to be. In fact, the very first crops planted by the settlers failed — and a terrible famine spread across the land." She sighed again. "But one day the humans appeared, and they were just as surprised to see us as we were to see them. But rather than treat us with hostility, they were sympathetic to our plight. They had mastered farming techniques, and taught them to us so that we could yield healthier crops. In the meantime, they gave us what spare food they had. They were so kind to us, and yet all they asked from us in return was our friendship."

"But what happened to them?" Twilight asked. "Surely if they were that advanced, they would still be here?"

"It is true that they were an advanced race," Celestia said. "But sadly, even with all their technology, they were not immune to a rapidly declining birth rate. And thus, over the course of time, they simply died out. Their buildings were lost to decay and ruin, but the techniques they taught us lived on; we still use them today."

"If they really existed..." Twilight said, confused. "If they really existed, why are they in this book about myths and legends?"

"A history was kept," Celestia explained. "But it was lost during the rise of Nightmare Moon. Several buildings were destroyed during my duel with her, including the old Canterlot library. However, not all of the books were destroyed — The Races Of Ancient Equestria being one of the few to survive the battle."

"Wait..." Twilight mused. "If they died out, then surely that would mean Geo isn't related to them in any way, shape or form?"

"That is true..." Celestia replied. "I guess he'll tell us his story when we go in. But first, we must wait for Luna to get here."

Twilight looked around. "I was wondering where she was," she wondered. "Why isn't she here with you?"

"She said that she had some business to attend to, and that she would be here soon," Celestia explained. "But knowing Luna, she will want to arrive in an extravagant man—"

A bright flash of light caught both mares off guard, revealing another alicorn. She was smaller than Celestia, and dark blue in colour. "Hello, everypony," she said. "Did I miss anything?"

"Not really, Luna," Celestia replied. "We were just about to go and interview our guest." She smiled wryly at Luna. "He's a human, you know. Twilight told me."

Luna gasped. "A human?" she asked eagerly. "How wonderful! It has been many a year since we last saw one of their kind. Let us begin, dear friends!"

She trotted towards the room with Twilight and Celestia close behind. And then, grasping it in her magic, she threw it open.

Author's Note:

I hope you found the newer, more improved and now FINAL VERSION of the Ancient Equestrian humans background story to your liking.