• Published 7th May 2018
  • 2,037 Views, 114 Comments

Chasing Twilight Stars - RejectOwl



A smokey gray colt is left on the steps of the Castle of Friendship. Twilight steps up as his mother. How will our newest little prince handle his life?

  • ...
6
 114
 2,037

Chapter 7

"Hey Spike!" Twilight called.

The little dragon grumbled and poked his head out of his bed.

"Whaaat?" He asked sleepily.

"Come on, we're gonna get some ice cream! Well, you are at least." Twilight said with a smile.

"For what?" Spike asked, with a large grin, as he shot out of bed.

"For helping me with Star so much, I figured my number one assistant needed a reward for being such a good foal-helper."

"Oh wow! Thanks Twilight!" Spike cheered and stretched.

"Come on, to Colton's Choice Creams!" Twilight cheered exaggeratedly.

"Oh that's the new one that just opened last week! I've been wanting to try it!" Spike exclaimed and quickly followed Twilight.

"Aaafter we drop off Star Chaser at Fluttershy's." Twilight corrected herself and headed towards Fluttershy's cottage.


The little foal made noises of interest as Twilight headed through town with him. He seemed especially fascinated with the fruit carts for some reason, perhaps it was all the bright colors.

Twilight approached Fluttershy's cottage and knocked gently, and Fluttershy smiled wide when she opened the door.

"Oh Twilight! And Star Chaser! Oh you're still just as cute as the day I met you!" Fluttershy exclaimed and began making baby faces at the foal, who simply looked on confused, and then began to laugh.

Twilight smiled. "Are you free for a few hours?"

"You need a foalsitter? Oh I'd be so happy to foalsit for you Twilight!" Fluttershy exclaimed and scooped up the colt from Twilight's foal-carrier. "Who's the cutest little colt ever? Is it you? Oh you're just the cutest!"

Twilight laughed at Fluttershy's baby-talk.

"That's settled then. Here's all his stuff. He's got a little stuffy, be careful with it, it was all his mom left him, he seems to know that too, how I don't know, but not the point." Twilight took a deep breath. "He likes to be fed small bits of formula about every half hour, and there's his blanket, his bassinet, chewy, formula, be careful with the chewy, it likes to attract fur, and make sure you watch just in case he bites it in ha-"

A yellow hoof pushed against her muzzle.

"Twilight, I got this, you are panicking over nothing." Fluttershy smiled. "I'll watch him for as long as you need."

"Or until you run out of formula... I don't think you'd like the screaming that ensues." Twilight giggled. "Thanks 'shy."


"Welcome to Colton's Choice Creams, I'm Cinnamon Flower, I'll be your server today, what can I get for you?" The young red unicorn mare behind the counter smiled.

"Hi! Do you have any gem ice cream in stock for our favorite resident dragon?" Twilight asked.

"We do!" Cinnamon Flower smiled. "I knew we'd stock it when my dad finally got his hooves on this place."

"I'd like that please! Two scoops!" Spike said happily hanging onto the counter.

"Two scoops of Savory Sparkling Surprise coming right up!" She smiled and began to scoop out the sugary treat.

"How do you like living in Ponyville?" Twilight asked.

"Oh it's.... it's alright, it's really good to get a fresh start in Ponyville, things didn't go so great for me in Canterlot." She smiled sadly.

"Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that, I'd be willing to listen if you'd be willing to talk." Twilight said gently. "You know, princess of friendship and all that, kinda my duty to make ponies feel better and have friends."

"Oh no, I don't want to burden you Princess Twilight," Cinnamon Flower shook her head.

"I insist!" Twilight answered. "It's what I do!"

"You sure?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm only treating my number one foal-helping assistant anyway, not like I'm meeting dignitaries or something, though this place is pretty fancy for an ice cream shop, wouldn't be a bad place to host a gathering." Twilight mused.

"Foal helping?" She asked softly.

"Yeah, there was, it's strange really, I got woken up about a month back to somepony just pounding on the doors of Castle Friendship, only to scare the bajeezus out of a little foal because I was so mad at being woken up." Twilight laughed. "I felt sooo bad. I yelled at a foal! I'm terrible."

"Oh and you, you are still caring for him?" She asked.

"I stupidly fell in love with him. I think at the first time he nuzzled into me while I was waiting to take him to Canterlot I was doomed from that moment. And then...well one of the previous residents of the orphanage told me how bad they are, and I just refused to put him there, honestly, I was probably never going to, but that's beside the point." Twilight laughed.

Cinnamon Flower smiled and laughed as well.

"Well then, I'm happy to hear that little Star Chaser has gotten a good home, he deserves it. I had no idea there was anything wrong with Canterlot orphanage." She smiled.

"All foals deserve a good home!" Twilight exclaimed. "Which is why heads are gonna roll at that orphanage."

"Thanks Princess Twilight... for not letting him suffer there." Cinnamon Flower said gently.

"I couldn't in good conscious leave him there when I had the other option of taking care of him myself until he got a good family to love and care for him." Twilight answered. "And... that good home just happened to end up being me."



Twilight fidgeted as Spike ate his second ice cream.

Cinnamon Flower watched the little dragon as she cleaned some of her tables, he was quite neat and polite, for a dragon at least.

"Twilight, he's fine." Spike sighed.

"What?" She asked, snapping out of her daze.

"Star Chaser, he's fine." Spike smiled. "You're getting all antsy again. Fluttershy's got this!"

"You're right, you're right." Twilight mumbled. "But what if he's not? What if his magic goes out of control and Fluttershy won't ever foalsit again?"

"Twilight, it's Fluttershy, she loves foals! She's used to this stuff." Spike exclaimed taking another large bite of his gem filled treat and watching Twilight's panicked face. "That's why you asked her and not Starlight, wasn't it?"

"Yeah, that is true, Starlight is great just...not all that great with foals." Twilight smiled. "That's okay though, not everyone is good with them."

"Nope, though you're pretty good with Star at least." He smiled.

"He's mine, of course I'm good with him. And I'll have you know I'm very good with other foals too!"

"Excuse me." Cinnamon Flower said firmly, approaching Twilight and Spike. "I hate to say it, but without my dad here helping I'm going to have to close up early to get to classes, would you mind leaving?"

"Oh." Twilight lowered her ears at Cinnamon Flower's tone. "Yeah, that's fine."

Perhaps everypony has a bad day once in awhile. Twilight thought to herself.


"Oh, please don't cry." Fluttershy whispered as the tiny foal's wailing assaulted her ears. "Being happy is so much better."

Star Chaser continued to cry and thrash in his tantrum.

"Oh no." Fluttershy whispered, as her animal friends cowered from the loud noise. "Do you miss Twilight? She'll be back soon!"

The little colt perked his ears up at the mention of Twilight's name and the cries became less intense.

"Aww, that's it isn't it, you miss your mama." Fluttershy cooed and picked up Star Chaser to snuggle him. "She'll be back really soon, I promise!"

Star Chaser grabbed at Fluttershy's mane and began to chew on it while still crying through her mane.

"Oh, no little guy, that's not food." Fluttershy laughed. "Are you hungry? Twilight left some food with you."

Fluttershy stuck a pan of water on the stove and set the flames to a gentle flicker, and Star Chaser began to wail again.

"Oh, that's right, you're probably used to Twilight being able to heat it up in a few seconds aren't you?" Fluttershy said as she set the bottle into the pan. "Well I'm a pegasus, not a unicorn so I can't do that, but I'll do the best I can for you!"

Star Chaser obviously either didn't understand, or appreciate, this assurance and continued to wail at the top of his tiny lungs.

Suddenly there was a blinding flash, and the little unicorn was gone.

"Oh no!" Fluttershy exclaimed and began to look around her cottage, knowing foal magic was minimal and he could not get far.

"Star Chaser! Oh come out little foal! Aunt Fluttershy has a nice toy for you!"

Fluttershy removed her pan from the burner and shut it off, then went to track down the unicorn colt.

She rotated her ears as she trotted through her cottage, listening for the telltale signs of a tiny colt.

Eventually she managed to track him down, crying softly and hiding beneath her bed.

"Come on little Star Chaser, I got a bottle for you." Fluttershy said gently and showed the little colt the bottle she'd prepared.

He looked at her and sniffled as he crawled forward towards the offered bottle. Fluttershy scooped him into her forelegs as soon as he was within reach, and he made a noise of discontent. When she presented his bottle however, the foal's legs waved happily and he cooed gently.

"You're just the cutest little thing, you make me wish I had a foal of my own." She smiled happily. "Maybe not a unicorn though."


"Come on Spike, lets go get my little colt from Fluttershy, I miss him." Twilight smiled.

"What was with Cinnamon Flower making us leave so suddenly?" Spike asked. "If she knew she had classes she should have just made the stuff to go!"

Twilight stopped suddenly, going over the interaction in her mind. Something was nagging at her, and she couldn't place it.

"She's a student." Twilight shrugged. "She probably just got too distracted thinking about work and school and tests and all that junk."


Cinnamon Flower closed shop the second Princess Twilight and Spike had left, she didn't even know how she'd held her composure that long, but she knew she would not last.

Locking the door and closing the blinds she leaned against the wall and began to sob.

"My foal, taken in by a princess!" She said softly. "Oh little Star Chaser, I miss you, but I don't regret it if this is where it leads you."

Tears splashed onto the tile floor as Cinnamon Flower shook with sobs. "I know it's for the best, I know even if my dad had approved that's not enough to care for a foal, and Star Chaser's with a princess, who better than a princess? She can give him anything, he'll want for nothing."

Cinnamon Flower choked on another sob and then gagged as she heaved with loud sobs.

No matter how much she repeated it, no matter how true she knew it in her heart to be, she wished to care for the foal she'd given up.

"It's for the best. It's for the best. He probably already loves her, she clearly loves him, I can't take that from her." She whispered and stood and shook herself, trying to stop the tears as she headed for her room.