• Published 7th May 2018
  • 2,037 Views, 114 Comments

Chasing Twilight Stars - RejectOwl



A smokey gray colt is left on the steps of the Castle of Friendship. Twilight steps up as his mother. How will our newest little prince handle his life?

  • ...
6
 114
 2,037

Chapter 6

Twilight blinked her eyes open sleepily and stretched.

She'd had such a good sleep, she sighed happily as she nuzzled into her pillow. She hadn't slept through the night in what felt like years, though it was really only a week.

And Twilight jerked up suddenly, remembering why she hadn't slept properly, and realizing he hadn't woken her in the night.

"Star Chaser?" Twilight yelled panicked.

"Twilight, we're in here." Spike called.

Twilight ran to where she heard Spike's voice.

"Star!" She exclaimed and ran to nuzzle the foal, no, not the foal, her foal. "I thought maybe someone foalnapped you!"

Spike grinned guiltily.

"Sorry Twilight, he was fussing awhile ago, and you looked so peaceful in your sleep, that I decided I was going to feed him or whatever it was he was after, and now I've just been hanging out with him while he makes attempts to crawl around. It's really cute actually, he keeps falling on his face." Spike laughed.

"That's not cute! That's dangerous! He could really hurt himself!" Twilight fussed.

Spike said nothing, only sighed and shook his head. Mares.

"Would you like to come with me for introductions Spike?" Twilight asked.

"Introductions?" He asked puzzled.

"I haven't introduced Star Chaser to my friends yet! I've been so busy taking care of him and getting stuff for him and checking out the orphanage that I totally forgot! Well besides Fluttershy. And Rarity and Applejack probably know already from the little fillies visiting. I wonder why they haven't come over...."

"Probably figured you were up to your eyeballs in work with Star Chaser and that you'd talk to them when the time came." Spike shrugged.

"Excellent point."


Twilight insured Star Chaser was snug and secure and trotted out the door, heading for Sugarcube Corner, she smiled widely and talked with Star Chaser as she walked.

"Pinkie Pie is going to love you. In fact, everyone will love you!" Twilight exclaimed.

Star Chaser said nothing, choosing instead to stare with wide eyes at all that was passing him by.

The bell jingled and Twilight heard a greeting cut short by Mrs. Cake.

"Hi Mrs. Cake, is Pinkie Pie here?" Twilight smiled.

"She... she is." The mare answered distantly.

"Could you tell her I have something super important to talk to her about?" Twilight asked, laughing at the pony's reaction.

"You had a foal Twilight?" Mrs. Cake asked.

"No, I adopted him. Well, sorta, not officially yet, Princess Celestia said she would send over all the stuff I need to sign." Twilight babbled on. "But, for all intents and purposes, this little guy is now my son."

Twilight smiled with glee and then trotted in place in excitement.

"My foal." She repeated, and then squealed slightly.

There was a second, louder, squeal, and Twilight looked towards her pink friend, who was bouncing all around.

"Twilight!!! I knew my Pinkie Sense was acting up, but I didn't know the Pinkie Sense for "Twilight's adopted a foal"!" Pinkie exclaimed. "It was an eye flutter, ear flops, and two tail twitches!"

Twilight smiled at her friend. "I'm sorry to have confused you Pinkie, but yes, I'm going to adopt this little one."

"Where'd he come from?" Pinkie asked and began making faces at Star Chaser.

"I don't know, he was left on my doorstep, poor little guy. And... I was going to just get him to the orphanage, but then the Cutie Mark Crusaders came over for a book of some sort, and Scootaloo told me the orphanages are really really bad, so I decided to investigate, they are bad, and he's not going there." Twilight said these last words firmly.

"Oh, but you could just foster him." Pinkie said with a grin.

"No!" Twilight exclaimed. "I've been taking care of him, and I've been feeding him, and changing dirty diapers, and cuddling him, and he's not leaving me!"

"Twilight, I'm only joking." Pinkie smiled.

"Oh. Sorry. Hectic week." Twilight laughed.

"Oh Twilight, if you ever need advice, or help, feel free to ask us!" Mrs. Cake said with a wide smile.

"Will do." Twilight nodded. "So, what do you think Pinkie, wanna come with to introduce Star Chaser to the girls?"

"Absolutely!" Pinkie exclaimed. "Ooooh! I need to arrange a super spectacular "Twilight's a mommy now" party! Maybe we can mix it with the foal shower!"

Twilight only laughed, it might actually be nice to have a party for little Star Chaser.

"You know Pinkie, that sounds great, now let's go visit Rarity." Twilight smiled.


Twilight knocked on the boutique doors while Pinkie vibrated in excitement next to her.

"Oh I can't believe it! My friend Twilight is a mommy!" Pinkie exclaimed.

The door opened and Twilight's unicorn friend gave a playful glare.

"Twilight, is this Star Chaser, why have you not come before now?" She pretended to interrogate the alicorn.

"That's what we're here for." Twilight laughed.

"Come in! Come in! I insist, tell me all about it." Rarity exclaimed. "Sweetie Belle told me you'd agreed to to take in a foal to foster to Scootaloo, but I thought it might be a prank of theirs!"

"Well actually... I've decided to keep him." Twilight responded.

"Keep him? You've become a mother?" Rarity asked.

"Yes. Scootaloo told me how bad the orphanages are and I investigated for myself, and then decided I was so angry at them and their mishandling of foals that I was never going to let there even be a small chance of Star Chaser being put into their hooves. And, I kinda completely fell in love with him too." She smiled guiltily.

"And who wouldn't fall in love with this little one?" Rarity asked as Star Chaser attempted to investigate her, grunting in disapproval as his harness prevented him from wandering. "Oh let him out Twilight, he can't wreck much at such a young age."

"You asked for it." Twilight muttered and set Star Chaser upon the floor where he quickly began to crawl around.

"Oh he's just darling!" Rarity exclaimed as the foal rolled over and began waving his hooves in the air in glee. "Twilight do you need help with the little one? I would be happy to!"

"Really? Like... maybe foalsitting once in awhile?" Twilight asked.

"But of course! You've watched Sweetie Belle and her friends often enough, how hard can one little colt be compared to those three?" Rarity laughed lightly.

"Excellent point." Twilight laughed. "But, sadly, I think we have to leave soon, I had intended on introducing him to everyone today, still gotta talk to Rainbow Dash and Applejack, who also probably already know from the fillies...."

"Oh, I'm sorry you must leave so soon, feel free to stop by any time I'm not busy with work and I can help you with Star Chaser." Rarity promised.

"I will certainly be taking you up on that offer."


"And now for the Apple's, Star Chaser! They're a great little family. Actually, Apple Bloom lost her mom and dad, just like you, but she had her big sis and big brother to help, and Granny Smith, they're all really great, you'll love them, I promise, I know I said that about Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, and Rarity, but they're all my friends! So they all love you and you'll love all of them!"

Twilight spotted a familiar cyan pegasus next to the barn and grinned. "Oh perfect! Last stop then!"

"Applejack! Rainbow Dash!" She called.

Star Chaser continued his incomprehensible babbling.

"Yeah, they're kinda like your aunts Star Chaser! I've been best friends with them since I moved here!"

"Twilight! I didn't know you was babysittin', don't your princess duties get in the way a that?" Applejack asked as she approached Twilight and Star Chaser.

"Actually... Um.... he was left on my doorstep last week, and that's why I've been missing, I've been trying to sort out everything with him and see if he was foalnapped or something, and then I accidentally fell in love with him and decided I was going to adopt him." Twilight smiled nervously.

"Whoa! Twilight's a mama!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. "Aw yeah!"

"Twilight, you know just cuz they're cute don't mean they're easy, right?" Applejack asked.

Twilight nodded.

"It's so hecktic and yet so rewarding looking out for him Applejack." Twilight smiled. "I am completely in love with Star Chaser and despite the lack of sleep, I couldn't be happier!"

"Awww... Well when Apple Bloom came tellin' me you told Scootaloo you'd find a home for an orphaned little colt I thought that was the end of it and someone just thought the princess woulda been the best pony for the job! I didn't think ya'd actually adopt him yourself."

"Foals apparently destroy the logical thinking center of my brain when they nuzzle up to me." Twilight laughed.

"Yep, cute little foals tend to do that. You sure you're up to all the not cute?" Applejack questioned.

"Applejack, I've had him a week, I've had the sleepless nights, the dirty diapers, food flung around the room, all of it, and I still completely love him and I swear to Faust if anypony tries to take them from me, they'll get a buck to the head." Twilight nodded fiercly.

"Whoa now, I'm not lookin ta take him from ya Twi." Applejack laughed.

"I know you're not, you're smart enough not to mess with an alicorn." Twilight smiled and then burst out laughing.