• Published 7th May 2018
  • 2,037 Views, 114 Comments

Chasing Twilight Stars - RejectOwl



A smokey gray colt is left on the steps of the Castle of Friendship. Twilight steps up as his mother. How will our newest little prince handle his life?

  • ...
6
 114
 2,037

Chapter 3

"Come on little Star, we gotta go to the town hall. And then maybe the store..."

Twilight hummed to the foal as she picked up her meager foal supplies and stuffed it into her saddle bags.

"Spike. I'm going to need you to watch the castle while I'm out, I'm gonna try and get stuff sorted out with Star Chaser." Twilight instructed. "And then pick up some more supplies for the little guy."

"Wait, you're keeping him?" Spike asked dropping his fork.

Twilight nodded.

"Scootaloo seemed adamant that the orphanages are pretty terrible for a foals optimal emotional enrichment. So I think I can handle taking care of him, at least until we can find him a permanent home. He's adorable how hard can it be to find him a home?" Twilight asked.

"Did Scootaloo actually say that?" Spike asked in astonishment.

"Not in that many big words, but yes, she did." Twilight answered with a laugh.

"But, you don't have anything!" Spike exclaimed. "You'll need formula since you're not a nursing mare, you'll need a cradle to keep him in until he can get a crib of his own, you'll need toys!"

"I know Spike, I know. Why do you think I'm going shopping?" Twilight answered. "But the more I get Star Chaser, the less his new parents will have to buy, and the more time they can spend on him alone."

"Twilight, ponies wanting to adopt have stuff bought months, years in advanced!" Spike argued.

"Well then, when we're done using it, we'll donate it to a mare's shelter," Twilight shrugged. "I can't just keep him in a basket."

Spike sighed and hit his face into his claws several times. He saw the direction this was headed, even if Twilight didn't see it yet.

"Anyway, like I said, I have things to buy. I'm taking Star Chaser with me, so you won't have to worry about him." Twilight said and picked up her saddlebags.

"Alright, alright." Spike sighed.

Spike saw Twilight was already falling in love with the little foal, and would probably kill a pony, even Celestia herself, to keep Star Chaser safe.

Spike shuddered at the thought of a battle between Celestia and Twilight.

"The world would end this time." Spike said to himself.


Twilight knocked on the doors of the Ponyville Town Hall and waited quietly until Mayor Mare answered.

"Twilight? To what do I owe this early morning visit?" The mayor asked with a smile.

"I uh, well, a foal was abandoned on my doorstep very early this morning." Twilight answered and pointed to Star Chaser, nestled between her wings. "All he had was a letter saying his name and that his mom couldn't take care of him so asked me to find him a home, but that's a bit hard to just find a home any day, so I'm going to get some supplies to keep him safe and cozy while I work that out."

"Oh dear! The poor thing." Mayor Mare exclaimed.

"Do you think you could get the paperwork and stuff filed and see if there's any missing foal reports? Just in case?" Twilight asked.

"Certainly Princess Twilight! Come back when you are done with your shopping and I shall have the documentation you need." Mayor Mare said softly.


Twilight stepped into the shop she'd never had any real reason to go to before and stared in awe at all the complicated things that seemed to exist for taking care of foals.

There appeared to be a garbage bin specifically for dirty diapers to keep the smell down, and all sorts of toys for different developmental needs. Toys to improve motor skills, toys to improve logic and reason, toys to strengthen a foals legs. Twilight had honestly had no idea how many foal needs could be turned into a toy.

"Um, excuse me, ma'am." Twilight said approaching the counter.

"What can I help you with?" The mare smiled.

"I'd like to know if I can just kinda poof stuff to the side here and then pay for it all at once? I kinda have literally nothing for my-the foal right now." Twilight said softly.

The mare stared at Twilight in shock, unsure how any mother could not get supplies before giving birth. Come to think of it, how had the princess hidden her pregnancy?

"Uh.. yeah, that'll work." The mare nodded.

"By the way, please don't get this out to the press, I'd rather not have Star Chaser be assaulted the next time I step out of the castle with him." Twilight said softly and trotted away.

"Will do..." The mare said gently in confusion.

Twilight immediately returned with a foal carrier that would strap to her chest and barrel to keep a foal secure.

"I'd like to buy this immediately. Please." Twilight said and pulled out her bits.

"That will be twenty bits please." The mare smiled as she rang up the purchase and watched Star Chaser examine all the sights and sounds from the princess's back.

"Um.. could I uh, have some help? I don't really know how these work." Twilight mumbled as she examined the buckles and straps.

"Absolutely!" The mare exclaimed and came out from behind the counter.

"Now, this strap here, it's going to go up between your legs, and then clip in behind the carrier fabric itself." The mare pointed to the aforementioned strap and Twilight gripped it in her magic and carefully clicked it into place. "And now these ones here in the back will make sure the carrier stays secure and attached to you so your foal doesn't end up falling."

Once Twilight had the carrier secured, she picked up Star Chaser again and gently placed him into it.

"Hows that Star? Comfy?" Twilight asked.

Star Chaser squealed happily in response.

"I think you have a satisfied customer. Thank you." Twilight laughed and trotted off to find more foal supplies.

In the end Twilight had picked out a bassinet, a few bottles, several packages of foal milk replacement formula, a large pack of cloth diapers, and a soft squishy circle with bumps and ridges designed for a foal to chew on.

Waving goodbye to the salespony, Twilight poofed all the new supplies into what she knew was one of the castles empty rooms, just to insure nopony was in a room dedicated to anything, and got hurt via falling bassinet.


"Hello?" Twilight called stepping into the Town Hall. "Mayor Mare?"

"Oh! Twilight there you are!" Mayor Mare called and then trotted out of a small room with several papers in her mouth, she set them before Twilight. "These are the papers you'll have to go over and sign and fill in the information. Such as time of abandonment, if you saw anypony, approximate age of the foal, coat color of the foal, you know, official business."

"Oh I know the exact time." Twilight grumbled, realizing she hadn't slept since the desperate knocking had awoken her.

"Alright then Princess, please fill all the spaces and I will file this and inform you if any reports come in of a missing foal that match this information, so far there is nothing though, not here or even in the surrounding towns."

"I didn't really expect there to be." Twilight sighed.