• Published 7th May 2018
  • 2,037 Views, 114 Comments

Chasing Twilight Stars - RejectOwl



A smokey gray colt is left on the steps of the Castle of Friendship. Twilight steps up as his mother. How will our newest little prince handle his life?

  • ...
6
 114
 2,037

Chapter 9

"Hey Spike." Twilight said gently as Star Chaser pushed around a small toy train.

"Yeah?" Spike asked, also playing with a foal toy, a bouncy ball.

"Do you think I did the right thing?" She asked. "Taking in Star Chaser, I mean."

"Of course! He loves you, he even calls you his mommy!" Spike laughed at the alicorn's anxiety.

"But, what if he wants to meet his birth mother someday and I won't be able to help him? We don't know who she was! Or if she'd even want to meet him, and how do you tell a young colt "oh yeah by the way, your mom left you on my doorstep with a note and some small belongings and then took off before I could identify her, sorry!" What if I mess up scolding him someday for something and then he hates me forever? What if he tries to teleport but ends up way high up in the middle of the room and then falls and breaks something? What if he has a magical explosion and hurts himself?"

"Twilight!" The dragon shouted. "I've said your name three times now, dear Faust. You are worrying over nothing. He's always going to love you, foals get mad at their parents scolding sure, but they still love them, you worrier."

"I guess." Twilight smiled guiltily.

"Hey Twi, why don't you go read or something, take a break, I got this." Spike smiled as he sat beside Star Chaser and began to roll a large ball towards the foal, who promptly pushed it back to Spike.

"You'd really do that?" Twilight asked with a smile.

"'Course. You've done so much for taking care of me, it's the least I can do." He shrugged and continued to play with the baby unicorn.

"Oh thank you, you really are my number one assistant." Twilight smiled and stretched, then trotted to her library section.


"Hmm. What to read, what to read, what to read." She pondered. "Ah! Lord of the Reins, I love this one."

She pulled the thick volume from the shelf and set it upon her table, then wandered to make tea for herself. When her tea had stepped long enough she added some honey and lemon and went back to the library.

She was just getting engrossed in her book when she heard a knocking on the doors.

"Buck!" She hissed loudly and slammed the book shut. "Dear Faust, is this like some curse of motherhood? Even if the foal is taken care of by someone else, you never get free time?"

Twilight sighed heavily and went to answer the door.

She threw open the door in exasperation and immediately felt guilty.

"Mom! Dad!" She exclaimed and brought them in for a hug. "What are you doing here?"

"We just felt we'd come visit our favorite daughter!" Twilight Velvet smiled. "Are you free?"

"I'm you're only daughter." Twilight smirked. "And yes. I'd only just started on a book."

"Oh that's right." Night Light pretended to remember as they entered the castle.

"So what have you been up to dear? You haven't sent a letter in so long."

"I've been.... busy." Twilight responded realizing Star Chaser had caused her to completely forget to even send a letter to her parents.

"Twilight! Incoming!" Spike yelled and Twilight was knocked down by a sudden weight against her hind legs.

"Mama." The little foal exclaimed as he crawled onto Twilight.

"Star Chaser!" Twilight laughed. "Why'd you knock me down?"

"Uh, Twilight." Spike said.

"Hmm?"

Spike pointed to her parents, who were staring expressionless at Star Chaser.

"Oh no." Twilight said realizing she'd broken them.

"Spike, you're able to send letters outside of Celestia, right?" Twilight asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"Why don't you uh... send one to Shining and Cadance and tell them to come over." She laughed. "Tell them it's an urgent emergency. I broke our parents."

Twilight waved her hoof before her mother.

"Twilight! You had a foal and didn't tell us? Oh no, was the father not around? I didn't even know you were dating anypony!" Her mother exclaimed. "You know you can come to us for anything dear, you didn't have to hide this."

"Backpedal Mom, backpedal." Twilight instructed. "No, I didn't have him. He got left on my doorstep, his birth mother left a note that said she couldn't take care of him and was homeless."

"There's always places that take in homeless expecting mothers...." Twilight Velvet said with a frown. "Even here in Ponyville..."

"There are?" Twilight asked puzzled. "Anyway, not the point, but I actually met with a little filly who'd been to the orphanage and she insisted they were awful, so after I went and verified they were awful, I decided he wasn't going to there, ever... and I'd maybe already fallen head over hooves in love."

"Oh my little baby is a mother!" Twilight Velvet exclaimed as she began to cry happy tears.

"Mom, Dad, meet your grandson. His name is Star Chaser."

"Oh hello Star Chaser, can I hold you?" Twilight Velvet asked and held out her hooves. The little foal glanced at Twilight, and then hopped into Twilight Velvets forelegs for the newly offered snuggles.

"Oh my word, he's so cute." Twilight Velvet said while crying happy tears.

"Careful, he likes to -"

"Ow! Owowowow. No eating my mane!" Twilight Velvet laughed extracting the foal gumming on her mane.

"Eat manes." Twilight finished with a laugh. "Watch your tail too, he's fascinated with them for some reason."

"Like mother like son." Night Light laughed.

"I tried to eat your manes and tails?" Twilight asked with a laugh.

"You did. We even switched shampoos thinking maybe you just loved the shampoo taste, but no, you just loved to chew on tails and manes."

Twilight burst out laughing and then panic set in when she heard knocking.

"Oh! Are they already here? That was too fast!" Twilight exclaimed and rushed to answer the door.

Indeed, a white unicorn and a pink alicorn stood outside Twilight's door, with a little alicorn filly strapped into a carrier.

"Twily! You wanted us to visit?" Shining asked.

"How did you, but... how did you get here so fast?!" Twilight asked.

"We'd already planned a visit. Your parents said they were coming today so we thought we'd come too." Candace smiled.

"Oh! That works out great then! I have somepony you need to meet." Twilight smiled.

"Twilight, do you have a coltfriend?" Cadance asked excitedly.

"No, I promise, no stallion or any male in this picture besides Spike, and um... Star Chaser." Twilight finished and levitated the little unicorn before Cadance. Flurry Heart reached out for the newly offered friend.

"Aww! Twilight! Did you decide to foalsit too?" Cadance asked then stopped and stared, looking between Twilight and Star Chaser.

"... he's yours." She said softly.

"Yes? How the-" Twilight began.

"Twilight, Alicorn of love, remember?" Cadance asked teasingly. "I have a sixth sense about these things."

"Oh, right!" Twilight laughed. "And, yes, he's mine. Come on in and I'll explain everything."

Author's Note:

If you guys want it, I'll do a rehash of the summary, but I figure since we've been following this whole journey, we don't need Twilight explaining everything, again.