• Published 12th Apr 2018
  • 5,272 Views, 504 Comments

Twilight's Kingdom of Steam - Darthvalgaav



From an isolated land, a messanger has come looking for a Queen for their kingdom of the night. But Luna has turned them down...

  • ...
10
 504
 5,272

Welcome to Cogburn

“Princess Twilight Sparkle.” The sudden, fuzzy voice jolted Twilight from the tome she had been immersed in for the last several hours. Her quarters had been silent for so long that the sudden appearance of any sound caused Twilight to nearly knock down the two large stacks of books on either side of her. Luckily that did not happen, as some of them might have fallen on her Number One Assistant who was off reading his comic books. As her heart rate slowly returned to normal, Twilight looked around at the three others who were with her. Overkill was on the floor, her blunderbuss in pieces as she worked diligently to reassemble it after a good cleaning. One of many she had done during this two night trip. The mare’s hooves were slick with oil and grease making the purple princess silently glad she had declined the offer of reading one of Twilight’s many books. The one who had taken up that offer was Wild Theory, who now had two thick tomes sitting next to him and one in his hooves. While Twilight had brought with her books from both Thunder Valley and Equestria ranging across a wide array of topics, Wild Theory seemed more interested in Equestrian history and legends.


Once again the voice repeated itself allowing a memory to stir within the purple princess. She recalled a similar voice coming from the walls of this very zeppelin when she first arrived. Just like the one she had in her office. Taking a breath Twilight stood up, stretching her wings before trotting over to the other side of the room and pressing the button she recalled Count Raven pressing at the time.


“This is Princess Twilight Sparkle,” she said.


“This is Captain Blasted Weather,” came the fuzzy voice from the wall. “I wish to inform the princess that we shall be arriving at our destination shortly.”


“Thank you Captain,” replied Twilight as she turned to look at her companions. Already, Theory was returning the books he had borrowed from Twilight while Overkill picked up the pace on her own project. The only one not putting stuff away was Spike, who had several of his comics sprawled on the seat next to him. Rolling her eyes at this, Twilight returned her attention back to the communication device. “We shall be preparing to disembark. Please keep us informed as well as giving my compliments to the crew for such a safe journey.”


There was a brief pause as Twilight took her hoof off the button as if the pony on the other side was shocked or something. “I shall pass along your majesty’s wishes,” said the Captain at last, the stallion’s voice sounding normal. “Have a safe visit Princess.”


As Twilight felt the zeppelin begin its descent she trotted over to the window. Already small amounts of soot were beginning to gather on glass surface, the first time this had happened since they had left the capital. It had been nice to see, once more, the sights of Thunder Valley that were not filled with large factories. One of which was the Ironbark Forest, a lush area with trees that had trucks so thick that three of them could probably support the entire Canterlot Castle! Then there was their size! Their zeppelin actually had to adjust its height just to stay above these mammoth trees, nearly all of them taller than the buildings in Manehatten! Beneath their greenish black leaves, Twilight had seen a rustling in several spots and more than once she thought she saw a head poking out of the canopy as they passed by. She only wished the zeppelin could have slowed down to see if these faces were ponies or some other race that lived within the forest.


“Probably just rebels or outcasts,” Overkill had commented when Twilight voiced this without looking up from her work. “The dense forest makes it hard for the military to bring in some of its bigger equipment and weapons. That, along with the vast area that it covers, makes it an ideal place for them to hide out. Live like savages, they do.”


Twilight had briefly glanced over at her personal guard at that, wondering what she meant. She knew that Overkill had no love of rebels whose actions had led to the deaths of many of her comrades. It was certainly possible that she naturally always thought the worst of those types of ponies. Or it could be that she might know more about how they lived, waiting for Twilight to inquire more. It was tempting, but since Spike was here Twilight really didn’t want Overkill to say something that would give the baby dragon nightmares for the next three weeks. Plus, knowing Overkill, she would probably say that they were savages because they used spears to help collect their food instead of grenades.


Still, Twilight was intrigued by the idea of outcasts living in the forest. Who were they? Why had they become outcasts? Were they ponies who had failed to pay their taxes or had they simply had enough of the government and went into hiding? Were they sick of the constant pollution, deciding to live their lives in tune with nature? Perhaps she might be able to get more information out of Count Raven. He would know the more ‘official’ reasons.


After several hours after leaving the forest, Twilight beheld what was called the Eclipsed Lake. As they flew over the dark water with the light of the moon being reflected off it at them, Wild Theory began dropping trivia about the lake which surprised Twilight. If the size of it was to be believed, it was just shy of being considered a fresh water ocean by Equestrian standards! It was also surprising to hear, as well as to see, that ponies lived on Eclipsed. More than once the zeppelin flew over metallic cities that floated on the water that from her pegasi-eyed view looked like giant octopi. Each one had a rounded center with eight ‘tentacles’ moving out from the bottom before they wrapped around large towers at their end.


“Each one of those towers serves a specific purpose,” Wild Theory had explained, pointed a hoof at one of them as they passed overhead. “Some of those towers are water treatment facilities, sucking up the water below and ensuring that they are safe to drink. Other towers also suck up the water to be sent to boilers to help with power generation. But all of them have something else. See that blinking red light on top of each? Well that’s to help thestrals who get lost. It’s a big, big, big lake and very easy to get lost. Nothing scarier than flying for hours trying to find your way back home, wings beginning to ache and could fall into the water at any moment. You wouldn’t want that. No, no, no. Some nasty creatures that live in those waters.”


That had sent a chill down Twilight’s spine. Having not been born with wings she still had some trouble with directions in the air. She couldn’t imagine what it would be like to fly over something so large without any markers to help guide her. Maybe, possibly, Rainbow could do it but that would be a stretch. Not only that, but to think that there could be creatures lurking in the waters ready to gobble up a pony was not a very pleasant thought.


Now they were back in what Twilight was considering familiar territory. A vast city close to the mountain range that surrounded Thunder Valley could be seen, with dozens of train tracks heading in and out in almost every direction. Within the city, Twilight could see large masses of buildings made of brick and appearing to be three to four stories tall filling an entire block at a time along the dirty streets. Some of these buildings had tracks on top, with metal bridges connecting one building to another. Like in Automahollow, a vast system of metal tubes ran along these buildings and connected them. She also spotted similar looking factories here and there, nowhere near as many as in the capital but still enough that ash and soot flicked down like snow.


Looking about, Twilight noticed that many of the pipelines headed towards the center of the town. Instead of a town hall, statue, or anything else Twilight was used to seeing in such a location, there was a hole. It was a massive one, having (at a glance) a radius of several hundred yards. The pipes came from all directions and, if they were water, flowed down along the sides of the hole so that the rocky earth could not be seen. Smoke and other gasses rose up towards the night sky making Twilight hope that no thestral would be so foolish as to fly into it. Thankfully she spotted several thestrals standing near its edge by a long, metal rectangle on the ground which opened up to allow a lift to rise to the surface. She watched with interest as several of the leather winged ponies left the lift before those waiting entered, the lift moving down once they were all onboard. Perhaps this was the Underbelly Academy. If so it certainly seemed to live up to its name.


As Twilight gaze moved past the tower, she spotted a less ‘pristine’ part of the Cogburn. Resting near a large cave entrance was a cluster of buildings that looked haphazardly built on top of each other. Made of lost brick and wood, these building went up higher than the ones near the Underbelly Academy. Using her magic, Twilight zoomed in to see that chimney stacks were coming out of poorly cut holes at the sides of the buildings as if the upper sections were an afterthought. And when a passing train roared past them, the buildings shook so viciously that Twilight feared that they would collapse if not for the support of the large pipes connected to the sides.


Of course, the zeppelin did not head in the direction of the cave. Instead it flew over the city towards a building that made Twilight’s stomach turn. A manor sat in the middle of a small lake with high metal bars that ended in nasty spikes surrounding it. While any thestral could easily fly both of these obstacles the message it sent was clear: it was separate from the rest of the world. As for the manor itself, it looked like something that anypony in Canterlot would have loved to own. Made of light brownish stonework, the building stood four stories tall. On both its sides were long stretches with archways covered in bronze vines and metallic flowers. One side was probably used as a grand dining room while the other was probably a ballroom used for official functions. In the middle, the building was built a bit more bulky while maintaining an elegant appearance with a single connected tower on its side.


That was their destination: the home of Duchess Blue Moon.


-x-


“Yes, welcome Princess,” said the Duchess, nose high in the air as Twilight and her company entered the building. Her tone was close to sounding arrogant as well as patronizing while her lips twitched as if she had just smell something rotten in her presence. It could have been Wild Theory with his wild mane and untidy appearance or Overkill with her guns and axe strapped on filling the room with the scent of oil. It could have been the sight of Spike, a dragon. Or even Twilight herself. Perhaps it was all of them. On both sides of the Duchess were two sets of maids who bowed deeply in respect. It was only after a moment that the Duchess followed suit.


“Thank you for having us,” replied Twilight as she bowed back. In contrast to her host, Twilight did her best to keep her tone light and friendly despite the problems she had with the place. She did not feel like Blue Moon should be keeping herself isolated from the rest of the town or the region that she was in charge of. However, for the sake of the task before her, she held her tongue.


As the ponies rose, Twilight turned around to look at the room. On the opposite side of the large room was large with a grand marble staircase (which matched the floors) which spiraled upwards to the second floor. Behind her, Twilight had noticed a bronze lift when she entered which skipped the second floor all together. Fake plants made of solid bronze lined the walls with gear shaped flowers, barely obscuring the ugly brown and white striped wallpaper with portraits hanging off of them.


“It would have been a disgrace to my rank to refuse a member of the crown,” replied Blue Moon stiffly as she approached Twilight. With each step she took, the click of her hooves echoed around the room. Looking down from her nose the older mare’s gaze looked like it was trying to burn Twilight on the spot…and being angered that it wasn’t working. “Even if said member is only there in a potentially temporary basis. Had you been anypony else I would have refused for the shortness of notice. Tell me Princess Twilight, is it customary in Equestria to make spur of the moment vacation decisions and inconvenience others in the process? Or is it that ponies in Equestria lack the consideration?”


As the Duchess stopped before her, Twilight did her best to remain calm. Since the moment Twilight had met Blue Moon, her impression was that she was an arrogant and uncaring noble. A vain creature who cared more about her appearance than anything else. What made it worse was that she was one of the ponies who would decide Twilight’s fate. It was possible that any small slight or even a perceived one would be used against Twilight. Not to mention Blue Moon getting in Twilight’s way during this trip. So once again Twilight held her tongue and kept her composure


“I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused,” said Twilight politely. “It was never my intention to slight you or trouble you in any way. I merely wished to see this important city for myself and get to know the ponies that live here if I should become Queen.”


For a moment, Blue Moon continued to stare at Twilight with her nose still upturned before quickly spinning around. “I suppose I should accept your apology Princess,” she said as she walked back to her maids. “But please, while you are here, do me the honor of sparing me any false pretenses and flattery. Such meaningless things are heard far too often and as such I have little time for them. As well as the ponies who use such tactics.”


“Oh, come now mother,” came a loud voice from behind Twilight. “The Princess was just trying to show you some common courtesy. Nothing underhooved about that at all!” Twilight turned around in time to see a stallion around her age stepping out of the lift. He grinned broadly, his teeth even twinkling slightly as he approached them. His coat was a very dark brown with a mane of black containing a single streak of grey in it, slicked back in wave like fashion. This stallion wore a tailcoat jacket with bronze gear shaped buttons and a top hat with four large gears on its side.


A low growl escaped Blue Moon’s throat. “Princess, this is my son and successor Blood Moon,” she said with even more stiffness in her voice than before.


“A pleasure to meet you,” said Twilight as she bowed to the future Duke. As she raised herself, Twilight found her hoof in the gentle grasp of Blood Moon who stared at her with those yellow slitted eyes of his.


“The pleasure is all mine,” he said in a husky whisper before kissing Twilight’s hoof. Twilight looked back in shock at this, but a much weaker version of it than when Just Dandy had done the same thing. Perhaps it was because Just Dandy had surprised her, with that being the first time she had been kissed in such a manner. Now she was certainly more on her guard especially when the nobles were concerned. Whatever the case, Blood Moon never flinched even as Overkill pulled out one of her small, hoof held blunderbuss and pointed at him. Or as Spike snorted green flames while his claws cracked.


“Ah, well maybe we should put our luggage away before we visit the Academy,” said Wild Theory nervously as he looked between Spike and Overkill to Twilight and Blood Moon. “Yes, yes, yes. One of the places we wanted to see. Important to the city and the country.”


“The servants will get that for you,” said Blood Moon as he released Twilight’s hoof. As Twilight pulled her hoof away Blood Moon looked over at the maids who, after a single nod from the stallion, began to put on the masks before heading out towards the zeppelin, leaving the glaring Duchess to stand alone. “I do hope that you enjoy your stay in our corner of Thunder Valley Princess. Rest assured that our Great House shall extend every courtesy to ensure this. I shall have our carriage prepared and ready to take you to the Underbelly or anywhere else you would like to go while you are here.”


There was an awkward silence for a moment as Twilight stood there, with the hoof Blood Moon had kissed slightly in the air. The offer was kind and he seemed far more friendly than Blue. Yet there was something amiss that Twilight couldn’t quite put her hoof on. It could be that she had expected him to be more vain or selfish like Crystal Bell…but no, that wasn’t it. Was it the disconnect from such a warm reception from him while his mother’s was icy? Maybe, but it felt like there was something more. In any case, she should at least try to be friendly with him until she found out what this feeling was.


“Thank you,” said Twilight as she put her hoof down. At the same time, Overkill slowly began to put her weapon away. “Your offer is very kind.”


“Hmm, I suspect then I will be without a mode of transportation during your stay here then,” said Blue Moon, gaining everypony’s attention once more. “Another inconvenience that I shall have to deal with.”


“Oh come now mother,” said Blood imploringly as he stepped forward. “We have guests from the capital who wish to see our city! Surely they may use our carriage for a little while. And we can always send a wire out to the city to get rental.” At that, Blue Moon made a face that allowed Twilight to see inside her nostril.


“A rental?!?” she hissed, her voice seething with anger. “To have something like that fall upon our Great House…just to get around…if your father were still alive…” The mare looked besides herself in anger as her eyes darted from Blood to Twilight and then back to Blood. As if she couldn’t figure out who she was more angry with.


“Mother, please be reasonable,” urged Blood as he took another step forward. “Surely it is not that big of a deal. You barely ever use the one we have.” Blue Moon said nothing in response. She looked like she had had enough of this conversation, turning around and heading up the steps without another word. By the time the maids had reentered the house Blue Moon was in a room on the second floor, slamming it behind her so that its sound echoed through the chambers.


“Well, she seems huffy,” said Spike.


“Spike!” snapped Twilight as she shot the dragon a quick glare. She then turned to look at Blood who had turned to look at the group once again. “I am so sorry about that. The last thing I wanted to do was to cause problems between the two of you.”


“No offence taken,” said Blood Moon while waving it off. “Truth be told, I rather agree with the, ah, tiny lizard-dragon fellow you keep in your company. I have seen my mother act like that all my life, even when my father was still alive. How that stallion ever managed to bed a creature with an icebox for a heart is beyond me.” He then let out a sigh before smiling. “Now, allow me to call up the carriage. Normally I would insist that you all rest up from your travels, but I understand your desire. The Underbelly Academy is a must see for anypony out there that loves learning.”


“Oh, did you attend?” asked Twilight, tilting her head as Blood Moon walked over to the nearby wall.


“That was my desire,” replied the future Duke as he turned his head to give Twilight a half lidded smile. “During my younger nights, I studied hard so that I could be admitted into its great halls. Sometimes I would study until the sun was high into the sky and the stars were nowhere to be seen.”


“I understand that feeling,” said Twilight with a soft smile on her face. “When I was younger, I wanted to attend Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. So I studied nearly every book I could get my hooves on and practiced my magic. Sometimes I would even fall asleep on my books.” The purple alicorn paused for a moment, her cheeks beginning to glow red. “I might have had to learn a certain spell along the way to protect the books from drool.”


“Ah, Twilight, all books require that spell even when you’re awake,” said Spike with a smug look on his face.


In response, Twilight’s jaw opened as a few indistinct sounds were heard. “That’s not true!” she stated as her eyes darted back and forth, her cheeks burning even brighter as she did so.


Blood Moon chuckled at this. “I see you understand my passion,” he said. “Truly, there is nothing nobler than the pursuit of knowledge.” Twilight watched as his expression shifted as he spoke. From good humor to that of deep admiration. An expression she had seen many of her long time teachers back in Canterlot get when they talked about the importance of learning. Well, the good ones anyways. There were those who were doing it solely for the paycheck. But, there was a short pause before his face became somber and his shoulders slumped a bit. “What I would have given to have been admitted.”


“They turned you down?” asked Spike as he raised an eyebrow. “Couldn’t your parents pull some strings or something?”


“It’s not that simple Spike,” said Wild Theory while Twilight shot Spike another look. “The Academies take the selection of their students very, very, very seriously. They have to be because the class work is demanding that most students crack under the pressure in their first year. Not to mention the graduation project at the end of the rails. If parents did pull strings or gave the Academy a large donation of grits, it would end up being for a worthless scrap of paper.”


“Because nopony would ever take them seriously as a tinker,” continued Overkill with a nod. “It’s like in the military, we don’t just let some spoiled nobles jump up the ranks just because the family has grits or has influence. It would undermine the very system that was created! Not to mention that it would be hard from anypony under that spoiled, pompous, grime stain’s command to take his orders seriously when everypony there is far more competent.” Overkill then turned to look at Blood Moon with a curious look on her face. “But, then again, most thestrals from noble families don’t send their foals to the military or the Academies. Such things are beneath them and blah, blah, blah. Seems a little odd that your parents would consider sending you to the Underbelly.”


“Well, you’re not entirely wrong,” admitted Blood calmly. “My parents did believe that it was a waste of my time and effort learning things of that nature. ‘We have servants for that’, they would say. So I had to convince them. Something I wish had been easy, but alas it wasn’t. Looking back some of my ideas were very juvenile in both their thought process as well as execution. In the end, I managed to stumble upon an idea: if I understood more about the processes of engineering and other forms of tinkering, then I would be better set to decide where the family’s grits were spent. Better able to make wise business investments. This seemed to do the trick…or they were merely tired of my whining and simply gave in. It doesn’t matter in the end; I barely scraped by on the written portion and utterly failed the practical test.”


“I’m so sorry,” said Twilight automatically, her ears flattening as she spoke. Hearing this caused her mind to think back on the day of her big test all on its own. How she was presented an egg and expected to hatch it all on her own. The fear and panic coursing through her as the seconds ticked by, her desperation as the future she wanted slipped through her hooves. If it hadn’t been for Rainbow Dash’s first Sonic Rainboom she might have had a similar experience as Blood Moon.


Yet, while this was going on in her head, there was another thought creeping around in the background. That this story of his seemed too close to what happened to herself. Perhaps meant to manipulate her in some way? But that was unlikely. Very few ponies back in Equestria knew about that and certainly nopony in Thunder Valley knew either. She pushed the thoughts aside, yet did not dismiss them entirely. Not yet anyways.


“Thank you Princess,” said the future Duke as he bowed his head. “The winding of time has done much to heal those old scars. But that does not mean I am not interacting with Underbelly. I may not have trotted down its halls as a student, but as a backer and benefactor, I am quite active.” The stallion then turned around before speaking again. “I shall inform Dr. Sparks, the head of the tinkers, that you will be arriving soon so that he may properly welcome you.”


-x-


At the same time, Night Shredder fought not to yawn from inside his mask. As a soldier of the mighty Thunder Valley Army such an action was not tolerated while on duty. He should always remain alert, ready for action at a moment’s notice. Especially given the nature of his job, for he was tasked the duty of manning one of the many mighty cannons situated on the surface of the cliffs. His duty was to fire at any siege equipment brought in from Equestria or anything else that might be considered a threat to his homeland. Around him were some of the best shooters in the military, equipped with long range blunderbusses for single targets. Finally, if whatever foolish force survived all of this, several zeppelins were waiting. So, Night Shredder knew he must stay alert.


“Shredder, you there?” came a mare’s voice from above. With a hoof reaching back to take hold of his blunderbuss, Shredder looked up before relaxing his grip. It was Star Flung, looking down at him with her mask off!


“What are you doing here?” asked Shredder as he pulled out a pocket watch. “Your shift doesn’t start for an hour. And you’re not fully in uniform!”


Star rolled her eyes at that as she landed, the beat of her wings kicking up small amounts of dust as she did so. “Relax there,” she said. Calmly, Star reached for a thermos attached to her hind leg. The metal tube had on it a handle that looked like three pipes of different lengths had been wielded together with a temperature gauge attached to it. After setting it down Star turned to her other hind leg, taking off a small survival dining ware set which included two small tin cups. “Just finished heating up the last of the good stuff the missus made before we left. Thought you might like some before it cools down.”


Shredder stared as Star began to twist the cap of the thermos off, glad the lens of his mask hid the hungry expression in his eyes. Once the cap off his mouth began to water as he remembered just how good Star’s wife made everything. Made him wish he had gotten hitched. Slowly, he glanced around looking for signs of trouble or one of their commanding officers flying about. Thankfully he saw nothing but an empty path through the mountains.


“You should still be in uniform,” Shredder said stiffly, still debating if he should relax.


Star snorted loudly as she began to pour them the drinks. “Oh please,” she said dismissively. “Spare me the good soldier routine for a moment. Who is going to notice? All we have seen around here are rocks for the last few weeks! And you can’t tell me you don’t want to take off that mask. Not with all this fresh air around here. Come on.”


Shredder watched as Star picked up one of the cups and handed it to him. The stallion’s heart began to race as he kept his eyes glued to the cup as wisps of steam spiraled above it. He knew the reasons for keeping the masks on: unity and intimidation. If he was found on duty without his mask on he would be facing the Great Storm’s wrath when General Steel Trap chewed him up. And that might not be an exaggeration! He had heard the General had once bitten into a cadet’s wing with that metal mouth of his. Other’s said he had put the cadet’s wing between a set of interconnecting gears, running it over again and again until the wing was permanently damaged. Shredder had no idea which was worse. On the other hoof, there would be no telling when he would get some of the good stuff again.


“I swear, you could tempt the Three Guides,” muttered Shredder as he lifted his mask up while taking the drink.


Star snorted again as she sat beside him, sipping her drink. For a moment, the two sat there in silence as Shredder felt the hot liquid warm him from ear to hoof. Out of the corner of him eye, he noticed the rows of tents on the ground near the very incomplete fort that they had hoped to make. Hopefully there would be funding for it to be finished soon. He did not like how they all had to live in tents for such a long period of time or having their ammo so easily exposed. Nor did he like the fact that all their meals lately came from tin cans, having to make fires in order to have a warm meal. Had the fort been complete, all of his comrades would have nicer…ish beds to sleep on while here as well as better protection from the elements and better meals.


“So, did you hear that Surge requested a transfer?” asked Star, making light conversation before taking another sip.


“Surge?” echoed Shredder as he thought for a moment. “From the 120th Aerial Scouts?”


“The same,” said Star with a nod as she stared at the wall ahead of them. “Wants to try out for that Equestrian’s team.”


Shredder nearly spat out his drink. “What?” he hissed as he set down his tin cup. “You have got to be kidding me! Surge is one of the fastest flyers in that unit! There’s no way in the name of the Storm he would ever lower himself to be a…a mere entertainer!”


“Hey, I’m just repeating what I heard,” said Star with a shrug. “Don’t know why he’s doing it. Maybe it’s to show those Equestrians what real flyers are like. But I do know he’s not the only one. Comet Chaser from the 224th Tank Core said she’s going to try out as well. Then there’s Swift Strike who’s joining because he wants to see a mare with a rainbow colored mane.”


“Swift Strike, from our unit?!?” cried Shredded as he jumped to his hooves. For several long seconds, the stallion stood there making noises that were almost words before cutting off to the next as his mind tried to process this. “I don’t believe him. There’s no such thing as a mare with a rainbow colored mane. At least not naturally!”


“Well you do know that Princess Twilight’s friend from Equestria is the one heading up this little project,” said Star as she took Shredder’s cup and reattached it to her hind leg. “Her name’s Rainbow Dash. You did hear about that rainbow explosion above the capital, right? Well I have spoken to some of our comrades who were there and they all say the same thing: Rainbow Dash did it all on her own without any gear! Not only that, but when she flew around she left behind a trail of rainbow that matched her mane. Here I thought having a purple princess was weird, eh? Guess those Equestrians are a colorful group.”


Shaking his head, Shredder walked over to the edge and looked down. “There’s no way,” he muttered. “It has to be some sort of dye or…” The stallion’s voice trailed off as he looked into the distance. There, just at the edge of his sight, something was moving. A light blue light that shined in the distance. A weapon of some kind? Shredder did not know but it was always best to take every precaution. So wordlessly he slipped his mask back on as he manned the cannon. As he did so, others spotted the light as well for Shredder could hear the click and whines of the machinery around him. Even Star put her mask back on as she dropped to the floor, pulling out her blunderbuss to take aim.


Seconds ticked by, each one meet with the beating of Shredder’s heart in his ear. Was this it? The attack they had been afraid of? What sort of horror was coming towards them? Could it be some sort of-


“You have got to be kidding me,” groaned Star as she relaxed her hold on her weapon, interrupting Shredder’s thoughts. Looking over the horizon, Shredder saw it as well. A white mare with a purple mane was walking down through the pass with some sort of weird hat or helmet on. He honestly couldn’t tell from all the way up here. But he could see that she wasn’t wearing a uniform…or anything else to protect her body. Weird. Floating behind her were several small bags while two pained, sweaty stallions did their best to keep up with her as they carried dozens of heavy looking trunks on their backs.


Together, Shredder and Star watched the mare pause to examine her hoof. The wind carried with it a whining noise, what was said they couldn’t make out but it did cause their ears to flatten under their helmets. “I think we’d better let the General decide what to do with this.”

Author's Note:

Once again, a very difficult chapter to write. I had thought about extending it to include the Underbelly but it would have gone on for too long and other things I had planned wouldn't flow as well.

Hope everybrony out there is enjoying 2020