• Published 12th Apr 2018
  • 5,269 Views, 504 Comments

Twilight's Kingdom of Steam - Darthvalgaav



From an isolated land, a messanger has come looking for a Queen for their kingdom of the night. But Luna has turned them down...

  • ...
10
 504
 5,269

Goodbye

One week. It’s amazing how time seems to work. When you’re excited for something it feels like time begins to drag each and every second out. The exact opposite, time consciously moving faster, seems to happen when you know you have a limited amount of time or if you’re dreading something to come. If somepony had asked why this was to Twilight over a week ago, she would have said it was cognitive psychology: that your brain is being stimulated in a way that either accelerates or decelerates your perception of time. Now, however, it was a different story altogether.


Right now, time was just a cruel mistress who used magic to make sure everypony suffered in one way or another. If it were an alicorn, Twilight would have walked up to her and punched her in the jaw with no hesitation. It’s what she would have deserved for the week Twilight had had. Not that it was a bad week, far from it, only that her last week in Ponyville with all of her friends seemed to pass in the blink of an eye. To Twilight, that was simply unforgivable.


When she had returned from Canterlot a week ago, the first thing Twilight did was tell her friends what was happening. She had called them all over to her place while putting on a brave face so she could tell them what was going to happen as well as how soon. Doing her best to appear strong and like there was nothing wrong, Twilight waited for them all to arrive before beginning. However, there were plenty of interruptions, starting with Rarity going into full drama mode about Twilight visiting Canterlot without her. Then Fluttershy and Applejack had to tell Rarity that she was being unfair given that it was an urgent call from the Princess before she apologized. After that, Rainbow wanted to know if they were going to go on another adventure like when they went to save the Crystal Empire. Pinkie Pie wanted to know if they were doing something called a crossover to help some spiky haired colt save his world using the power of friendship and a foal’s trading card game. These interruptions only ended after Twilight screamed at them with tears appearing in her eyes.


That had gotten their attention. From there, Twilight told them about Count Raven and her decision to become the Queen of another nation. As she spoke, Twilight’s words came out choked while she felt like her heart was being trampled on for she could easily read her friends expressions. At first the shock that they had been visited by another nation they had never heard of and also the offer given to Twilight. This was then followed by hurt when they found out that Twilight had accepted this without coming to them for advice.


Thankfully, Spike had been there.


“Hey, it’s not like they gave Twilight a lot of time to think about this,” Spike had said leaping up to Twilight’s defense when he had seen the looks on the other’s faces. As he spoke, he pointed at the group. “Do any of you know how hard this was for her to do?! She was thinking of all of you while she had to make it! Can’t you see how difficult this is for her just doing this?”


At first, none of them said anything. They only looked at each other, seemingly taken aback by the baby dragon’s words. Then…


“Spike’s right,” said Fluttershy firmly as she moved over to Twilight and gave her a hug with not only her forelegs but her wings as well. While brief, it was more than welcomed and appreciated by the young alicorn as she watched her friend move beside her when it was over. “Twilight’s going through enough right now without us making the poor dear feel worse. I’m sure she would have asked us if she could have.”


“Ah reckon the same,” agreed Applejack as she tilted her hat back a bit. “’Sides, we only have a week left with Twi. Doesn’t make a lick of sense wasting any of it feelin’ sorry for ourselves.”


“This is the chance of a lifetime darling,” added Rarity as she stepped forwards, pushing back her mane as she walked. “Simply the opportunity to become the highest rank within royalty. Not to mention able to be the first to see the latest fashion trends in another country. Oh, I’m practically green with envy.”


“Reckon only you would think about that stuff,” Applejack had said, rolling her eyes with annoyance. As she did, Pinkie Pie zoomed towards Twilight at speeds only the pink pony could before taking hold of her face.


“I am going to throw you the biggest Goodbye Twilight Party EVER!” shouted Pinkie Pie with their faces so close together that their eyes were practically touching. Then she pulled back, looking thoughtful. “On second thought, there is no way in Equestria that just one party will be enough. We’re going to need to have one every night!”


“That sounds awesome,” said Rainbow Dash as she floated in between the two. “So what are we waiting for?”


So, for the following week, Twilight spent with her friends cramming in as much fun as she could. Each day brought with it something different that nopony missed. Rainbow Dash even went without her infamous naps for the entire week, just so she wouldn’t miss out on anything. The six of them spent time on Applejack’s farm, eating lunch together with Rainbow Dash even offering up her freshly made cider to Twilight. They had more pony pet play dates than ever before. Going for long swims down by the river followed by so many tasty treats at Sugarcube Corner that it made Twilight sick. At the end of each day, there was a party hosted by Pinkie Pie who invited the entire town. By the time each one ended, Twilight would be crawling back to her library, past houses covered in streamers and confetti, in order to get to bed so she could rest up for the next one.


Helping her out, like always, was Spike. The baby dragon made sure that everything that Twilight needed to be done was finished so that the nerdy alicorn wouldn’t worry as much. He made sure all of Twilight’s various appointments within Ponyville and beyond were canceled while sending each pony a letter detailing the reason. He triple checked to make sure all the books in the library were organized so that the next pony who took over wouldn’t have any trouble. When he was finished with that, Spike made sure he made the most of his time left in Ponyville. During the day, he spent time with the Crusaders while at night he did his best to finish up the Ogres and Oubliettes game with Big Mac. After all, he was coming as well.


Then the inevitable finally came. Now in front of her, on her bed, were Twilight’s suitcases packed with everything she owned. The various dresses Rarity had made her over her short time in Ponyville were in sealed plastic bags in order to prevent them from getting damaged. In another suitcase next to it held her various personal items such as her alarm clock, toiletries, her Smarty Pants doll that she managed to rescue from Big Mac, and photographs of herself with her friends. Her telescope was in its own case, having already been broken down for easy transport. As for her pet owl, he was in a transport cage she had gotten from Fluttershy along with plenty of food for him just in case. Lastly, there were three large trunks full of all the books she owned.


After closing the last trunk, Twilight paused to look around the room. For the first time since her first Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville the room looked barren and lifeless. There were no signs that this was her home, only the lingering scent of her shampoo left in the air. Soon that too would be gone and Twilight’s presence would be gone from the Golden Oaks Library forever.


Before a tear could form in her eye, there was a knock at the front door. Sighing sadly, Twilight made her way down the steps to the main floor. As her hooves touched the floor, she looked around to see that everything was in almost perfect order. The library floor had been scrubbed clean and the shelves dusted. Even the wooden horse head statue in the middle of the room had a shine to it. The only place where something was out of place was over in a corner which contained all of Spike’s packed possessions. His bed, long boxes full of his comics, a bag of dice, and a few articles of clothing Rarity had made for him all piled up in one spot. Twilight moved past everything quickly in an effort to keep her emotions under control all while the knocking at the door continued. Once she was close enough, the alicorn reached out with her magic to open it revealing Count Raven and several of the thestral guards standing in the sunlight.


“Greetings, Your Grace,” said the Count as he gave a short bow with the guards mimicking him. Looking past them, Twilight could see the ponies of Ponyville staring at them or at their zeppelin floating in the air above. Once the bow ended, Count Raven spoke once more. “Is Your Grace ready to depart?”


“Yes,” replied Twilight after taking a deep breath. “All of our things are packed and ready to go. My stuff is upstairs and Spike is right over there.” As she gestured to Spike’s pile, the guards moved into the room wordlessly. A few went to collect Spike’s belongings while the rest headed upstairs. As they began to collect everything, Twilight turned back to look at Count Raven. “When do we leave?”


“As soon as Your Grace’s possessions are on board the airship,” replied Count Raven causing Twilight to take a few steps back.


“So soon?” she asked, unable to control herself. “I…I was hoping I’d have a chance to talk to my friends one last time.”


Count Raven looked at her for a moment with understanding before slowly shaking his head. “I fear I must insist,” he said as the first thestral guard walked out of the library with Spike’s things. As soon as they were in Celestia’s sun, they spread their wings out from underneath their coat before flying up to the zeppelin. The Count, meanwhile, continued as if nothing was going on in the background. “If we are to make it to Thunder Valley as the sun sets, we will need to leave as soon as possible. There is simply no telling how long it will take to find Your Grace’s friends.” As another pair of thestrals moved past them, carrying one of Twilight’s trunks with great difficulty, the Count leaned closer as to whisper to her. “Your Grace, I understand how sudden this must be for you. But it would not be a good showing on your part to act like this in front of those who will soon become Your Grace’s Guards.”


Twilight blinked before looking up at the two straining their wings to take up her belongings. As she stared at them, she was surprised by herself for not considering how they felt. They were in a strange land and far away from their families. Every day those whom they had left behind were probably worried about them. Twilight herself knew what that was like, her brother going on long tours within the Equestrian Guard back when he first joined. He had promised to write to her when he could and reading those letters had always been a huge weight off Twilight’s mind. However, the longer the wait between receiving one the more Twilight’s fear that her brother was alright grew. She would worry that something had happened, that he had been attacked by a stray Diamond Dog pack or hurt defending a town from a monster attack. To her, those were the only reasons she could consider as a valid reason for not getting a letter each and every day. It would only be when the scroll was floating in front of her that she realized how silly she had been. Would it be the same for some of them as well? Were their parents, younger siblings, or even their own children looking out the window for some sign that they were at the very least safe?


Also, Count Raven was right. If she was going to be a ruler, she was going to need to act like it. She knew she had only a week to spend with her friends and she couldn’t be complaining about not having one last goodbye like a foal. Then there was the fact that she hadn’t seen any of her friends yet so she didn’t know where any of them were. Rarity and Applejack would be the easiest, most likely working at their own properties. But Fluttershy could be at her house or she could be anywhere in Ponyville helping out with somepony’s sick pet. Possibly even in the Everfree Forest helping some poor sick animal she found. Knowing Pinkie Pie, she could be bouncing around anywhere. As for Rainbow Dash, she could be in her cloud house getting ready to head over here or she could be getting in some flying practice in. As much as she wanted to see them once more, it would simply take too long. But still…


Twilight’s ears twitched as she heard the sound of a door opening behind her. Turning her head she saw that the door to the basement had opened and, looking out of the doorway, was Spike. The alicorn princess managed not to facehoof herself for forgetting that Spike was tidying up the basement, making sure that neither he nor Twilight left anything important behind. As she looked at her dragon assistant in silence she saw that his eyes were darting towards Count Raven, his pile of possessions that was now smaller than before, and the guards moving about the library.


“Is…Is it time?” he asked, pausing to gulp as he did.


“It is,” replied Twilight as she approached Spike, doing her best to sound strong despite her heavy heart. As she moved closer, Twilight watched as the small dragon brought his claws together while giving Twilight a pleading look. Pausing she shook her head as she knew what that look as asking. He too wanted a bit more time to say his goodbyes, especially Rarity. But then, in a moment it all changed. Spike took a deep breath, as if he were sucking up his pain, before putting on brave face.


“Alright then,” he said, his voice slightly betraying the pain he felt. Still, Twilight smiled at her brave little dragon. Once they were alone she’d be sure to talk to him about this, letting him know he didn’t have to pretend to be strong for her.


Walking side by side, Twilight and Spike made their way towards the front door. Ahead of them were the thestral guards, grunting as they slowly made their way out the door before heading into the sky with one of Twilight’s book trunks. Once the two made it to the doorway, Twilight paused to look at the library once more. As she did a flood of memories washed over her. She remembered the times when Rainbow Dash crashed through her window as she tried to pull off some new stunt. She recalled the times when Pinkie Pie seemed to be able to find any book that they needed. There was the time when she cast that spell on Rarity that allowed her to grew butterfly wings. The time when she, Applejack, and Rarity had a slumber party on that stormy night. All of the gentle tea times with Fluttershy. The night she met Owlowiscious and gave him a home. So many sweet and happy memories she had, connected to this place. So many she would never have come by if she had stayed in Canterlot. How she wished she could take something with her so that she could have some sort of link to this place. But…it didn’t belong to her. The Golden Oaks Library belonged to Ponyville and she was no longer its resident librarian.


As she felt her emotions beginning to get the best of her once more, Twilight walked out of the library for the final time.


However, as she turned her head to look forward, she saw something pink and bubbly in front of her. Naturally, Twilight did what anypony in her position would do.


“AAAAHHHHH!” screamed Twilight as she jumped back, heart pounding. Around her, the guards dropped what they were doing before pulling out their long metal sticks. Count Raven looked shocked and amazed at the bouncing pink pony as she grinned at Twilight. “Pinkie Pie, what have I said about doing that?”


“Sorry Twilight,” said Pinkie as she bounced around Twilight. “But my Pinkie Sense was ringing off the chart telling me that somepony was leaving Ponyville. Since you’re the only pony I know who would be moving I thought I’d hurry over here.” As she spoke, Twilight saw out of the corner of her eye that the Count was signaling to the others. By the way they seemed to relax, she assumed that he was telling them that everything was ok. Twilight became sure of this when they put away their weapons before gathering up Twilight’s dropped possessions.


“Thanks Pinkie,” said Twilight, causing her friend to stop with her bouncing. “It means a lot to me to be able to say goodbye to at least one of my friends.” With that said, Twilight embraced Pinkie with a hug.


“Yeah,” said Spike as the two mares ended their embrace. “Just wish we could say goodbye to the rest.”


“And who said you’re not?” asked a different voice off to the side. Twilight and Spike turned their heads while Pinkie looked super excited. There stood the pony who had spoken, Rainbow Dash, looking somewhat cocky as the rest of their friends arrived behind her. Fluttershy and Rarity looked slightly winded as if they had dropped everything in a hurry to get here.


“B-But how?” asked Twilight flabbergasted to see them all here.


“How do you think, egghead?” asked Rainbow Dash with a playful eye roll before gesturing to Pinkie Pie. “As soon as her Pinkie Sense went off, she rushed to each of us to saying we needed to drop everything and get here fast.”


“I do wish we would have been given a bit more notice,” said Rarity as she approached Twilight. The princess noticed that she had a dress bag on her back which was then levitated between them. “Darling, I made this dress for you using your last measurements. Hopefully it will be in fashion where you’re going.”


“I’m sure it will,” replied Twilight as she took the bag with her magic before hugging her friend. When it ended, Rarity went over to Spike and pulled out new gem encrusted bowtie.


“I’m going to miss you too Spiky-Wikey,” she said before kissing Spike on the cheek. The moment her lips touched his scales, Spike’s eyes transformed into hearts. When the hearts vanished, Spike shook his head and grinned at her only for it to fade just as quick. Twilight knew what was probably going on in his head, that he was realizing that he might never get to see Rarity again.


“I’ll,” Spike began but paused to gulp. “I’ll treasure it always.”


As Rarity stepped away, Applejack approached the pair. “Mah family usually saves a few of these,” she said as she pulled out two jars of her family’s famous rainbow colored jam.”After everything we’ve been through, ah’m really gonna miss ya Twi. If the farm didn’t need me so much then…” Applejack turned to look away as her words trailed off.


“I know,” replied Twilight as she accepted the jars.


Nodding, Applejack turned to look at Count Raven. “Ya better take care of her, ya hear me.”


If this statement bothered the Count he didn’t show it. “I shall strive to do my best in service to Her Grace.” Applejack did her famous eyebrow raise, one more thing Twilight would miss seeing, at the Count and his words before turning back to Twilight. Teary eyed she embraced her alicorn friend before moving on to Spike. It was then that Rainbow Dash landed in front of Twilight.


“I managed to swipe this from the hospital,” she said, looking proud as she pulled out Daring Do and the Sapphire Stone.


“Rainbow Dash!” said Twilight crossly as she glared at her pegasus friend. Made even worse by how blasé Rainbow appeared about it. “You stole from a hospital!? What in Equestria is wrong with you?”


“Pff, relax Twilight,” responded Rainbow, waving a hoof in the air. “I switched it out with a brand new copy so they’ll never know the difference. Even if they do, they probably won’t mind seeing as it’s, you know, brand new! Anyways, go on and open it.”


As her irritation began to subside, Twilight took the book from her friend. Not knowing what she was looking for, she opened the book to the title page to begin skimming through it. However, there was no need. Right under the title, Rainbow had written: ‘This is the book that got me to realize how awesome reading is. Keep it to remember how you made my life twenty percent cooler. Rainbow Dash’. Next to the message, Rainbow had added a drawing of her face wearing her signature sunglasses. Smiling at this, Twilight looked up at her friend before hugging her as well.


“Thank you,” she said. As Rainbow went over to Spike to say her goodbyes to him, Pinkie Pie bounced over with a little less bounce than normal.


“I wanted to give you something special as well,” began Pinkie as she pulled out a photo album. “But most of the stuff I’m good at eventually goes bad if you don’t eat it and I sort of wanted you to have something that lasts. So instead of cupcakes, I managed to put this together so you’ll always remember the good times.”


Twilight said nothing as she took the album in her magical hold while giving her friend a thankful smile. When she opened it, Twilight’s eyes widened a bit. Every picture came from various parties she had had with her friends. There were several photos of her and her friends in Canterlot, celebrating her birthday as she wore the dress Rarity had made for her. There was, sadly, only one picture of her at the Summer Sun Celebration party which was when she had drunk from the spicy punch. But there were many more. Like Twilight and her friends working together to put together Applejack’s welcome home party from the rodeo. There were ones from Gummy’s birthday party as well. It seemed like every picture from every party Pinkie could have gotten her hooves on that had Twilight enjoying time with her friends was here in this album.


“Thank you so much Pinkie,” said Twilight with a tearful smile. “It’s perfect.”


“Yay!” cried Pinkie as she wrapped Twilight in a bone crushing hug before bouncing over to Spike. Finally, Fluttershy approached looking ready to cry.


“I,” she began before biting her lower lip in order to keep the visible tears at bay. Quickly she pulled out a small bag full of pet treats before rapidly finishing off her sentence. “Made these for you to give to Owloysius.” Then, Fluttershy could no longer hold her sobs in as she embraced Twilight. “I don’t want you to go.”


As all of her friends turned to look at the pair, Twilight returned the hug. “I’ll miss you Fluttershy,” she whispered. Twilight then pulled her head back, looking at all of the sad faces of her friends. “I’ll miss everypony here. I just wish we could have…” Those final words seemed stuck in Twilight’s throat. Time was never something you could get back, could never know how much one had. Be it one’s entire life or spending it with those you loved, nopony knew when their time would run out. That was why everypony had to make the most of the time they did have instead of wishing they had more. And while Twilight knew she hadn’t wasted a single moment with her friends, she still wished she could go to one more party. To go on one last crazy adventure across Equestria.


To have more time.


“We know sugarcube,” said Applejack as she and the others surrounded Twilight. Then, all together, they embraced her and Spike as a group for the last time. Twilight lost track of how long she was in the group hug, surrounded by the warmth and love of her friends. All she knew was that it was a while but not something she could or wanted to quantify. It was only when they heard Count Raven clear his throat that the girls separated from her.


“Forgive me Your Grace,” he said curtly while gesturing up at the zeppelin. “But we are set and ready to depart.”


“I understand,” she replied. So, after one last quick hug, Twilight placed Spike on her back before opening her wings. Count Raven did the same with his own leathery wings before taking off with Twilight in tow. Around her, suspended by her magic, were the gifts that her friends had given her as she soared up towards her future.


-x-


Elsewhere, Princess Luna was still awake in Canterlot. Upon her balcony she stood, looking through her telescope as it pointed towards Ponyville. Her gaze was fixed upon the zeppelin that hovered over the library, watching as the thestrals and Twilight boarded it.


“You know, you could change your mind,” came a voice behind her. However, Luna did not flinch nor did she avert her gaze from the zeppelin until the opening Twilight had entered had closed. It was only then that Luna turned to look at her sister, standing there with the Night Guard flanking her on both sides.


“I made my decision sister,” replied Luna calmly. “One that I stand by whole heartedly.”


Celestia let out a sigh as she shook her head. “After everything you did for the thestrals back then, after everything you sacrificed, you deserve this Luna,” said the solar princess as she took a step while gesturing to Luna’s Guards. “They still somewhat remember.”


Luna did not answer her sister, instead turning her attention to her two Guards. “You could have gone home,” she stated. “All you had to do is ask and I would have released you both from your oaths.”


“We said our goodbyes when we first traveled to Equestria,” said one of them while the other nodded. “We knew it would be a one way trip, one worth it for the chance to serve and protect the mare from our myths. We shall honor our oath until our dying breath.” Luna’s cheeks burned slightly at this proclamation, which she quickly hid with one of her wings.


“I see,” she said, feeling the smug look on Celestia’s face that screamed ‘told you’ without actually seeing it. Taking a breath to get her emotions under control, Luna lowered her wing and turned to look at her sister. “This changes nothing. Perhaps if they come again asking for me to rule I shall rise to the occasion, but not now after I have encouraged your pupil to take up this path.”


“That’s all I wanted to know,” said Celestia as she turned to leave, the thestral guards remaining where they stood.


Luna watched her sister leave, her eyes narrowing slightly. “Surely you didn’t come all the way here just to tell me this.” Celestia, who was reaching for the door, paused at Luna’s words. “Is there anything else you wish to say?”


For a moment, Celestia stood there looking at the ground. Her mane seemed to lose a bit of its flow while her shoulders slumped. Eventually she turned to face her sister. “I,” she began but hesitated for a moment. Celestia looked to the side as if she were wondering how to phrase her words best. Finally, she spoke again. “I should have said this sooner, but thank you for not telling Twilight everything. About what happened back then. I…still feel guilt over what happened.”


The two guards looked at each other in confusion before turning to look at Luna. The Princess of the Night seemed to ignore their existence, staring back at Celestia. “It was not my place to say. History seems to have buried the truth of those events from everypony except for those who lived through them. Since you never said anything I thought it best not to say anything myself. As for our part…I always understood why you did what you did. My only wish was that you understood why I did what I did sooner.”


As Luna smiled at her sister, Celestia’s mane seemed to regain a bit of its flow as she turned to head out the door.