• Published 8th Apr 2018
  • 820 Views, 4 Comments

The Growing Tree: The Mist Series - Palette Sketch



Fluttershy had disappeared from a strange mist that covered most of Equestria for weeks. She, after being out in the mist for so long seemed to wandered off to the Everfree forest and in a strange side effect had lost her memory. Only to find a leaf.

  • ...
1
 4
 820

The Growing Tree: The Mist Series

There's always been something odd about the Everfree Forest. With its weather, too its creatures. Too Fluttershy this isn't the case. She lived close towards the forest itself in her little home with her animal friends, but till the mist rolled in things were changing. Instead, she would huddle inside with her friends, especially with Angel. The mist itself was so thick you could barely see from a foot away from your vision. So to prevent her friends with being lost she kept them all inside and fed them. You probably think this wouldn't been a problem, if it weren't for the mist itself lasting up and still the next day.

Fluttershy found this strange, usually mists wouldn't last this long but this? It was a bit worrying, but it should go away soon, right?

She would think that, if she would remember the rest. Her mind was wavering as she was lost within the Everfree. Something was wrong with her memory, everything was so hazy...it felt like she was swimming in a vast ocean. Unmoving as she didn't twitched a single muscle. If only this situation was that much simpler. She remembered her friends being fed, hoping the mist would go away. However with anything else...nothing came. Was it caused by this mist? That couldn't be right! Mist shouldn't act like this! That was the only conclusion that she could come too. Slowly as she continued her walk, she found that her legs were shaking. Was it...because of exhaustion? She could've sworn she was just walking for an hour- right? She didn't noticed that her ribs were showing, as her mane was mattered and strangely, leaves poked out of her hair in which she believed was from being out there for so long. Looking around, Fluttershy was hoping to see any sort of hint, a hope for an exit.

The Pegasus was too far deep to make any decision of where too go. Her eyes were growing tired, having rings under them. She knew if she didn't rest now she would collapse, but why was she so tired...? Her drowsiness was getting in the way of her thoughts. Even if she needed sleep, was it the best to sleep in a place like this? Maybe if she found Zecora...

'Zecora...she could help me....Zecora could find where I can...-' Her eyes shut as her legs fell to the grassy ground below. With a small thud as her mind went to a icky black before she could try and fight it back. As she would go into deep sleep, she could sworn Fluttershy could feel a sting coming from her eyes, something wet but almost slithering. As the same feeling came to her hooves. The sounds of rustling leaves and cracking bark going through her ears. As if...the whole forest around her was moving. The idea of such a thing was absurd..but she couldn't do anything about it now. Her mind was completely swallowed by the darkness of sleep.

The time she woke up, she realized she could barely move. Her body- was completely or nearly boney. Her energy sapped by the growing vines that covered her body that came out from her own being, growing from the inside out. She nearly gagged as she awoke with the dry taste in her mouth and managed to force herself up. Staggering through the forest as she continued her way. One of her hooves limped as it was covered in Everfree tree bark that seemed to torn most of her fur from her hoof off. She looked at this point as if she could've been apart of the forest itself. A two branches visibly growing from her head full of leaves that could've been seen as majestic antlers.

At this point, Fluttershy needed water, and a place to stay to cover from this strange everlasting mist. Suddenly her eyes shot open as a pack of timberwolves jumped out of some bushes and kept together trying to make it through the mist themselves. A timberwolf pup was close by looking at Fluttershy as she let out a small and pitiful eep of fear. Yet, they didn't seem to take note of her, before the pup look at its pack and quickly follow behind. The Pegasus stood in pure shock and horror, what was that about? "W...what?" She whispered to herself in pure horror. "W...what was....ah!" She suddenly screamed feeling a wave of pain force through her and her weak body. She gave a small weep from the pain as parts of her fur started to shave off and replaced by bark. The pony noticing these changes started to trot in a sprint through the forest to quickly find Zecora. "Zecora! Please I need help! I can't find you if your nearby please answer!" She asked urgently in a almost whisper and gasp. As her fur proceeded to fly out and replaced by bark. She felt her body becoming stiff but managed to keep running. The silhouette of Zecora's hut could be seen in the distance, she was about to scream, but her voice was gone.

Zecora was currently in her hut working on several potions, some to help with a pony's visibility and memory due to this strange mist. Her eyes was staring down into the bubbling cauldron as she poured some of the ingredients into the pot and stirring till its mixed. Luckily enough she wasn't the few ponies who actually suffered from memory loss. Suddenly there was a knock on her door that caused her to stop stirring and stare over at the door. She didn't expected anypony to come at this time, especially in this forest with this fog. Slowly and with a bit of caution she would walk over to the door and wrap her hoof around the doorknob. Cracking open the door, she slowly creaked it open.

A large figure sat down at the door, a timberwolf with pink fur along the grass, with the three butterflies carved into its side. Signs of tears had stained the grain wood on the wolf's face.

Comments ( 4 )

8851681
This is one of the short stories, so there will be more for each of the main 6 and who knows. You may see Fluttershy again. :flutterrage:

More i just love this

Login or register to comment