• Published 9th Jul 2018
  • 6,960 Views, 329 Comments

The Book of Sunlight - elPossenreisser



Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer are falling in love across the dimensions

  • ...
13
 329
 6,960

Chapter Fourteen

“Sunset,” Twilight called out.

She opened her eyes but didn’t stop singing. Twilight had her hand inside the portal her contraption had created and was looking at her expectantly. Sunset’s eyes widened. She swallowed hard. It had worked!

Just as she wondered how she could land again she gently floated down, touching ground. She started for Twilight, intending to pick up her bag and go through the portal, when the portal suddenly began to pulsate, slow at first but soon becoming faster and faster. Then, before Sunset had crossed more than half the distance, the portal suddenly disappeared in a flash of light, leaving nothing but a few floating sparks.

No! It can’t be!

Twilight, who was huddled over the circuit board, looked up at Sunset and screamed, “Nooo!” Her eyes were wide with horror. Behind her, the girls caught on to what was happening and stopped playing.

Twilight!

Sunset’s mind blanked as the pain, and along with it the familiar anger, took over. She turned around, looking for next best thing to take her anger out on, and found one of the sturdy school-issued chairs.

She kicked it. She hardly felt the pain in her foot as it crashed into the far corner of the room. Behind her someone gasped.

“I’m so sorry, Sunset Shimmer,” Twilight stammered, almost choking on her tears.

Sunset turned towards her, staring down at her. She looked miserable, tears running down her cheeks, her face contorted in a mask of utter despair. It reminded Sunset of their very first encounter—when Twilight had been lying on the ground after Sunset had knocked her down.

Her anger evaporated. How could she be angry at this young girl who was apparently hurting over this almost as much as she was? This girl who had done so much to help her even get to this point, so close. To even give her an honest shot at getting back to Twilight. Sunset hadn’t asked for her help; Twilight had just offered, and hadn’t stopped short of opening a life-sized portal to another world for her.

For Sunset.

The girl she had treated like dirt. She didn’t even call her by her first name, and kept thinking of her as the other. She’d more than once thrown all her pain into Twilight’s face in order to hurt her as well, just out of spite. Not to mention all the times she had questioned Twilight’s abilities or simply brushed her off.

And still Twilight had gone above and beyond the call of duty to help her out. She had pulled all-nighters, she had held her hair back when Sunset was puking her guts up being hungover, she had hacked into Crystal Prep’s server which was probably a criminal offense… all that because she felt guilty, no doubt.

Guilty or not, whatever her reason Twilight had been nothing but a great friend to Sunset. Despite how Sunset had treated her.

And now she—her friend, her unexpected new friend—was crying. Was bawling her eyes out on Sunset’s behalf.

She probably only had a few seconds to take care of this mess before one of the other girls rushed in. She owed it to Twilight. She owed her all the thank yous in the world, and a whole bunch of sorrys on top of that.

Sunset closed the remaining distance between her and Twilight and knelt down in front of her. She hesitated for a split second, biting her lip, then put her arms around the crying girl and pulled her in. Twilight clung to her as if she was drowning.

“Shhh,” Sunset said, “it’s okay, don’t cry.”

“I’m so sorry,” Twilight sobbed into her shoulder. “I’m so sorry… sorry… it’s all my fault… I’m so sorry…”

Sunset didn’t know what to reply to this and simply pressed Twilight against herself even harder. How could she make Twilight stop blaming herself? She put one hand on the back of her head and started stroking her hair. “It’s okay,” she repeated, feeling completely useless.

“I’m sorry,” Twilight said once more, hoarse with tears.

Sunset felt her eyes welling up as well. “Twilight, stop, please,” she murmured. “There’s no need to be sorry, okay? You did great! You did so great! I can’t even begin to thank you for everything you’ve done.”

Twilight just cried into her shoulder even harder, the sobs shaking the girl in Sunset’s arms. “I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be!” Sunset urged. “If anything I should be apologizing to you for… for everything! I’m so sorry how I treated you, and how mean I was, and I… I didn’t even thank you.” As she was really starting to cry she buried her face in Twilight’s shoulder. “Thank you, Twilight. For everything.”

“But I failed,” Twilight mumbled.

Sunset almost laughed. “But at least you tried” she said. “You did so much more than anyone could have asked, so thank you for that!”

“You… you’re welcome,” Twilight whispered. “I’m still sorry it didn’t work out.”

“Yeah, it’s gonna be alright,” Sunset said, unable to contain a smile despite crying. She had no idea how anything would ever be alright, but right now that wasn’t important. Right now she needed to console a crying girl. Her friend.

Sunset kept stroking Twilight’s head as she cried herself out for a bit longer. Eventually her sobs died down and she lifted her head from Sunset’s shoulder, brushing gently against her cheek. “I… I think I’m okay,” she said. “Thank you.”

Sunset also lifted her head and looked at Twilight. “That’s what friends are for,” she said with a smile which Twilight tentatively returned. “I meant it, you know. Thank you for everything. And sorry for everything.”

Twilight shook her head. “It’s okay.” She started, realizing the pleading expression in Sunset’s face. “Apology accepted. And you’re very welcome. It’s what friends do, I think.”

Sunset chuckled. Despite everything Twilight could still make her chuckle. She bumped her forehead against Twilight’s. “You ready to get up again?” Twilight nodded, and Sunset swiftly got to her feet. She held out her hands to pull Twilight up as well. When they were both standing, she hugged her again, for good measure.

“But what are we going to do now?” Twilight asked once they had separated again.

Sunset tapped her chin. “I don’t know about you girls, but I need something to lift my spirits.”

“No, I mean about the portal mmpf!“ Sunset gently put a hand on Twilight’s mouth to interrupt her.

“I know what you meant, silly,” Sunset said softly. “Let’s think about that some other time, okay? We’ll find a way. We have to. We will. But right now I… I don’t think I can deal with it, you know?” Twilight nodded against her hand with her eyes wide and gently put a hand on Sunset’s shoulder, giving her a soft squeeze.

Friends, Sunset thought again and lowered her hand.

“Play another song?” Rainbow Dash suggested.

“I don’t think Sunset would—“ Rarity said, but Sunset interrupted her.

“Yeah, let’s. What do you think, Twi?”

“Me?!?”

“Yeah,” Sunset nodded. “If you want? We can both sing together.”

“I… that… yes!” Twilight stammered.

“Alright!” Rainbow cheered. “Which song?”

Shine like Rainbows,” Sunset said without hesitating.

“I don’t even know the words!” Twilight protested.

“You’ll catch on,” Sunset said and winked at her. “Pinkie?”

“One-two-three-four!”

As soon as they played the first notes Sunset felt fresh tears itching in her eyes. Hardly surprising, considering how many memories of Twilight were connected to that song. Twilight cast her a concerned look, and Sunset took her hand to steady herself, mouthing “I’m okay.”

She started singing the familiar words of the first verse, and the tears began to flow again. It was okay. It seemed to be what she needed right now. When they hit the chorus she turned to Twilight and looked into her eyes while singing, and the second time around Twilight joined her. And sure enough Sunset felt the Equestrian magic flow through her body once more as the air started glowing around them.

And to her great delight she saw that Twilight too was suddenly sporting pony ears, and her hair, usually tied up in a disorderly bun, grew into a hip-length ponytail. She gave her a wide grin as they both took off from the ground and started floating in mid-air. Twilight’s grip on her hand tightened, and Sunset could barely contain her laughter at her startled expression.

Suddenly a white flash made Sunset turn her head. When she saw what had caused it she felt like losing her balance in mid-air, and she held on to Twilight’s shoulder.

The portal had opened again.

Twilight saw it too, and without hesitating she started for the circuit board, pulling Sunset with her. Sunset tried to keep singing, but stumbled over a couple of lines.

“The LEDs!” Twilight cried. “It’s working! The energy level is higher than before, maybe…” She frantically pointed at the circuit board were all five green LEDs were steadily lit, as was the red one.

“Your singing must have added that last bit of energy. You did it, Twi!” Sunset pulled her into another quick hug.

“You have to go!” Twilight said, pushing Sunset away. “As long as it’s holding up!”

“Yes, yes, you’re right!” Sunset quickly picked up her backpack before turning to her friends who were just finishing the song.

“Get home safely, dear!” Rarity said.

“Don’t forget uuuuuuus!” Pinkie Pie cried from behind the drums. A loud bang, and suddenly confetti and streamers were raining down on them as she fired her emergency party cannon.

“Thank you all, for everything,” Sunset said, again fighting back tears. That seemed to be the day’s theme.

“You’re more than welcome, sugarcube,” Applejack said.

“Say hi to Princess Twilight from us,” Rainbow Dash added.

“And if you can make it, it’d be really nice if you could come back again,” Fluttershy said.

“I will,” Sunset sobbed. “I’m gonna miss you so much, and I’ll come back and we’ll play again, promise! I love you all!”

“We love you too, darling!”

“And now get into that portal before it closes again!”

Applejack was right; now that they had stopped playing there was no telling for how long the portal would hold. She looked at Twilight who was still standing next to her and biting her lip. “Be safe, Twilight, you hear? You gotta take care of the girls for me.”

Twilight nodded, crying too hard to answer.

“I meant you too, you know,” Sunset added. After one last look at her friends she turned around and stepped through the portal that would take her to Equestria.

***

The laboratory was empty. Sunset could tell from the crystalline walls that she was probably somewhere in Twilight’s castle, but she was nonetheless surprised that nopony was there.

Most of the room was taken by an arcane contraption. She recognized the mirror and Twilight’s copy of the enchanted book which were built into the masses of wires, lightbulbs, switches, crystals, and other parts. Written on a blackboard, in Twilight’s beautiful hornwriting, was the formula.

Where was everypony?

She slowly stepped off the small pedestal over which the portal was floating, and as she did the portal collapsed in a flash of white light. Sparks floated slowly to the ground.

Sunset opened the door and found herself in a long, deserted corridor. It looked the same no matter which way she turned, but suddenly she heard faint hoofsteps from her left. Without thinking she darted down the hallway in that direction, her saddlebags with her few possessions hardly limiting her.

She skidded around a corner and could barely avoid crashing into an orange earth pony mare with blonde mane. “Applejack!”

The other pony squinted at her. “Do I know you? What in tarnation are you doin’ sneakin’ around here like this?” Then her eyes widened as she realized. “You’re Sunset Shimmer, aren’t ya?”

Sunset nodded. “Where is everypony? Where’s Twilight?”

Applejack shook her head as if to collect herself. “The Princesses took her upstairs. She had some sort of breakdown when that portal of yours collapsed.”

“Is she alright?” Sunset tried to fight back the panic she felt upon hearing Applejack’s words.

“I dunno,” Applejack replied. “I know she hasn’t been sleepin’ and eatin’ enough recently, what with workin’ on that portal and worrying herself sick about you. It hasn’t been this bad for a while with her overworking herself. You prob’ly know how she can get.” Sunset nodded, and Applejack continued, “So when the portal collapsed, Princess Celestia brought her hoof down and ordered her to bed right away. I’ve never seen her like this. The Princess, that is.”

“Concerned?”

“Like a mother dragon protectin’ her young,” Applejack said.

Sunset gulped. That particular dragon wouldn’t hesitate to sink its claws into her.

“The other girls are in the throne room, but I’ve got some work left to do at the Acres, so I split.”

“Do you know where—“ Sunset didn’t finish the sentence, worried that her voice might fail her.

“Staircase is down that corridor. Her bedroom is on the third floor, to the right. Ya can’t miss it, really.”

“Thanks, Applejack.”

“You’re welcome.” Applejack gave her a scrutinizing look. “It’s odd, y’know… you seem to know me, and I don’t know you at all, Sunset Shimmer.” She smiled and shook her head. “Know what, that ain’t important right now. Go see Twilight. We’ll have time to talk later, I s’pose.”

“I’m looking forward to it,” Sunset said. “Thanks, Applejack.”

Without waiting for Applejack’s reply Sunset turned and ran down the corridor. Her knees were wobbly from anticipation and it had been some time since she had galloped at full speed, but she didn’t slow down.

She found the stairs. Ran up, reached third floor. Turned into a corridor on the right—

—and just barely skidded to a halt before crashing into Princess Celestia who was just coming down the corridor.

Startled, she stumbled back and sat down on her haunches, looking up into the face of her former mentor looming over her.

“Sunset Shimmer,” Princess Celestia said. Her eyes narrowed slightly, and Sunset had just enough time to feel sorry for herself for having to confront the Princess right away, with no preparation whatsoever.

“Um… hello, Princess Celestia,” she said uneasily. “I, um, don’t want to be disrespectful, but, um… I really have to see her.”

“Princess Twilight,” Celestia said, “is sleeping. I had to cast a spell on her to get her to relax. She has worked and worried too much recently. And if I’m not mistaken, you and I have a few things to talk about as well.”

Sunset shrank back and folded back her ears. “Princess, I…” Part of her wanted to tell her how badly she had been missing Twilight, and how badly she needed to at least see her, even though she was sleeping, and how much she had been hurting those last few weeks. But she was also more than aware that she couldn’t simply seek solace from Princess Celestia. Not after how she had betrayed her. “I really need to see her,” she repeated. “Please.”

Princess Celestia gave her a long, scrutinizing look. “You’ve been through a lot yourself, haven’t you, my little pony?” she asked, her voice now softer.

Sunset swallowed and just nodded, not trusting her voice.

“Then I will keep you no longer from seeing your beloved. You and I can talk later.” She gave Sunset a sad smile. “In any case I believe that you are the best remedy for Princess Twilight right now. Seeing you when she wakes up will do her better than any magic spell ever could.”

Sunset bowed her head and made to walk past the princess, who extended her hoof to stop her. “I’m glad you are back, Sunset Shimmer,” she said softly.

“Thanks, Princess,” Sunset mumbled. “I’d do anything to make her feel better.”

Princess Celestia sighed. “That is not the only reason I’m glad. I hope that one day you’ll find it in your heart to believe me.”

Sunset looked up, into Celestia’s warm eyes. She could see no anger or resentment in her former mentor’s expression. Even though she was certain that Princess Celestia had to be mad, after all Sunset had done. She was probably just waiting for a better time to let Sunset hear her wrath. “Thanks, Princess,” she mumbled again.

“Then go to her.”

Sunset nodded and headed towards the door of Twilight’s bedroom. Before she opened it she turned around, facing Princess Celestia again. “I know that’s not a lot, coming from the likes of me… but I’d never hurt Twilight. Or betray her.”

Celestia flinched upon hearing that. For a few heartbeats she looked at Sunset with an almost pained expression. “I know that, my little pony.” She smiled at Sunset, although it was a somewhat pained smile. “Now go to her.” Sunset nodded and opened the door and entered Twilight’s bedroom.

A small figure who had been sitting on a chair next to the bed turned to look at her. It was Spike. “Sunset!” he cried out before running towards her at full speed and throwing his arms around her neck. “You came!”

Sunset returned the hug. “Good to see you again, Spike.” As she let go of him her eyes were drawn by the bed in the center of the room, and the figure lying in it. “Twi,” Sunset whispered.

“Princess Celestia cast a sleep spell on her,” Spike told her. “She wouldn’t go to sleep, despite almost collapsing after the portal broke down.”

“So I heard,” Sunset said. She made a few tentative steps toward the bed until she had a proper view on Twilight’s face. Looking down on her, she felt a surge of emotion wash over her. How much she had longed to see her again!

Twilight looked exhausted. Her mane was a frazzled fiasco, and she had deep rings beneath her eyes. Celestia had done right in enforcing some rest on her, Sunset thought. She smiled and gave Twilight a soft nuzzle. The sleeping unicorn didn’t react.

“If you don’t mind I’d like to keep watch with you,” she said to Spike.

“I’d be happy to have your company,” Spike said with a slight bow. “I know she’ll be excited to have you here when she wakes up. I’ll get you a chair!”

“It’s okay,” Sunset said and sat down on her haunches, resting her arms and head on Twilight’s bed. “This is just fine.”

“Just tell me if you need anything,” Spike said and sat down on his chair again. She heard the rustling of paper and looked up, only to find Spike reading a comic book.

Sitting on the floor, her head resting on Twilight’s bed, actually close enough that she could feel Twilight breathe, it seemed as if finally the tension and anxiety that had dominated Sunset’s life for the last couple of weeks fell off her. She was here, at Twilight’s side. She had made it. With the help of her friends back in the human world,

And of course the other Twilight. She made a promise to herself that she would find a way back to the human world so she could properly thank her again for all that she had done. Hopefully she and the others were alright.

They were probably packing up their instruments, getting ready for some milkshakes at Donut Joe’s or something to celebrate their success. Smiling at that thought she closed her eyes and drifted away.

***

When she woke up it was dark in the bedroom. Only a single candle was providing minimal light over where Spike sat reading. She stretched her neck and forelegs. Then Twilight noticed the weight resting on the side of her bed. Curious, she lit up her horn, only to see a wild red-and-yellow mane right next to her.

“Sunset?” she whispered. “Sunset, is that you?”

Sunset stirred and turned her head to face Twilight. “Hey, sleepyhead,” she said dreamily. “I’m home.”

“How is that even possible?”

Sunset stood up and walked up to the head end of the bed, her eyes locked with Twilight’s. “The magic of friendship.” She buried her face in Twilight’s mane, unable to contain her tears. “I missed you so much.”

Twilight draped a wing over her. “I missed you too.” Somewhere in the background they heard a door open and close as Spike snuck out of the room.

Sunset sat up, rubbing her cheek against Twilight’s wing. “I love you,” she said. Before Twilight could reply anything, she leaned in and sealed her lips with a deep kiss. “Do you feel like getting up already?” she asked after they separated again.

Twilight grinned at her. “I fear I’ll have to stay in bed for a bit longer. How about you?”

That was all the invitation Sunset needed. With an exaggerated yawn she shed her saddlebags and climbed into bed, crawling under the blanket and cuddling up to Twilight. “You know,” she said, “I’m kinda homeless right now. I don’t even have a bed to my name.”

“Then I don’t really have a choice but to let you sleep in my bed for the time being, right?”

Sunset gave her another kiss on the nose.

***

It worked. Twi says hi. Love, SS

***

The portal didn’t open again. Sunset and Twilight tried on their end—with the combined powers of an alicorn princess and one of the most gifted unicorns in Equestria it wasn’t too hard to open it—but it never connected. Nonetheless they kept trying, usually on Saturdays during the early afternoon.

They suspected that the girls of Canterlot High couldn’t harness the required energy without Sunset, just like during their first attempt when they had played without Twilight. They kept trying, but with decreasing hope.

Sunset moved into one of the many spare bedrooms in the castle and got used to life in Equestria again. Together with Twilight she returned to her magic studies, and together the pair made remarkable progress.

She and Princess Celestia came to an understanding after a long talk sometime after Sunset’s return. While Celestia claimed that she forgave Sunset, their relationship remained somewhat distant, a long shot from the close and loving mentor-student relationship they had had before Sunset’s departure through the portal. Sunset suspected the princess of holding a grudge for some time before she realized that while Celestia had indeed forgiven her, Sunset was reluctant to forgive herself, thus maintaining her distance from Celestia. She was sad about it, but maybe she just needed more time.

Sunset quickly became friends with Twilight’s friends, and although she grew to like them a lot she still missed her human friends. Even though they bore the same names and were similar in almost every aspect they were entirely different people.

Her love for Twilight kept growing. She had never been happier than now that she was living with her, sharing almost every day of her life with her.

In their third year Sunset and Twilight started a meticulous study of the lunar phases, and with substantial support from Princess Luna they were able to determine the exact dates during which the portal would, in theory, be open due to the moon’s power. But even though they made numerous attempts there was still no connection on the other end. When they switched their portal off on the fifth day, they told each other that their human friends would be alright. Between the six of them they would be able to deal with anything.

They kept trying to open the portal, but with dwindling hope. Sunset sometimes wondered what her friends were up to. How Twilight was holding up.

Nonetheless, when another thirty months had passed and the lunar cycle was about to be completed once again, they prepared for yet another attempt. As far as Sunset was concerned, they would never stop trying.

Most nights when they went to bed Twilight read to Sunset from this or that story.

Author's Note:

And here we are. Stay tuned for the epilogue!