• Published 9th Jul 2018
  • 6,956 Views, 329 Comments

The Book of Sunlight - elPossenreisser



Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer are falling in love across the dimensions

  • ...
13
 329
 6,956

Intermission

Dear Twi,

You wanna come over on Friday for dinner and whatever else we feel like?

Yours
Sunset

***

Twilight reread Sunset’s message for what felt like the hundredth time. But there still was no clear indication whether or not Sunset was talking about the plans they had made that fateful night.

Oh, out with it!

The date.

The date she had said she was excited about. The date that, according to Sunset, would end in—

Just like every time before, when she couldn’t find an occult hint concerning the date, Twilight’s thoughts turned to the equally important question whether or not she really wanted to go on a date Sunset Shimmer. And just like every time before, the answer she could come up was a scientifically valid hypothesis, but remained somewhat ill-defined.

She liked spending time with Sunset Shimmer. A date was a way of spending time together. Ergo she would like going on a date. As supporting proof she regarded that it would be much less awkward a time than the date with Flash Sentry.

And, on a not strictly scientific note—she was still excited about the prospect.

She sighed. This wasn’t getting anywhere. And she didn’t even know what Sunset Shimmer had referred to in her message.

The only solution she could think of was to meet Sunset, which she was anyway looking forward to, and figure out what she had meant, and how they both felt about it. Not very scientific, but then again, friendship had this odd tendency of not being overly scientific at times.

***

Dear Sunset,

I’d love to. See you on Friday!

Yours
Twilight

***

On the plus side, Sunset thought, Twilight was going to come over again, which she was really looking forward to. But then again, Twilight didn’t mention anything about their date.

Of course not, since I didn’t mention it in the first place.

She shook her head. It was infuriating. Why hadn’t she just written, About that date we agreed on… or something similar? Was it that hard?

But what if I did, and if she said no?

She groaned at herself. If she was that much of a wimp, then she probably should never mention any dates ever again, ever. Spare me the hustle.

But that wasn’t a solution either, she knew. She couldn’t just drop the issue and wait for Twilight to meet some Flash Sentry 2.0, only to go through all those motions—and emotions—again. The fact of the matter was, Sunset wasn’t going to content herself with being just another one of Twilight’s friends. Twilight had become the most important person in Sunset’s life—and Sunset needed to be sure that Twilight felt the same.

Go big or go home.

The magnitude of that thought almost made her dizzy. “Oh boy.”

“Hmm?” Fluttershy asked right next to her, tearing Sunset out of her reverie. She only realized now that she was still in the band room with the other girls—not that they were actually playing, but now that it become very frosty outside they sometimes hung out here instead of in their habitual place in front of the portal.

“Just thinking,” Sunset said.

“Is Twilight coming over again?” Applejack asked. “You and her are writing back and forth a lot.”

“It’d be so nice to see her again,” Fluttershy said.

“Right?” Rainbow Dash agreed.

Sunset smiled. For better or for worse, there seemed to be no way to keep this from her friends for much longer, so she might as well tell them about Friday. It could even buy her some time, and then she could discuss all things date-related with Twilight when she was here, in person.

Gulp.

But if she didn’t go for the thing she wanted, nopony was going to just hand it to her.

“Sunset? You’re zonin’ again.”

She chuckled and put down the book. “Sorry, just lost in thoughts. Twi’s coming over on Friday, and she’ll be staying for a few days.”

Author's Note:

Oh look, another one of these. Expect a regular-sized update later this week.