• Published 9th Jul 2018
  • 6,955 Views, 329 Comments

The Book of Sunlight - elPossenreisser



Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer are falling in love across the dimensions

  • ...
13
 329
 6,955

Chapter Two

Twilight woke up to a gentle knock on her bedroom door. From the sunlight falling through her windows she estimated that it was near noon.

“Twilight?” she heard a voice from outside. “It’s me, Rarity. Are you up?”

Twilight rolled over in her bed and sat up. “I’m up. Ish.”

Rarity chuckled. “I came by to see if you’re ready for lunch with the girls. Do you feel up to it, dear?”

Twilight heaved herself out of her bed and checked her reflection in her vanity. “I’ll just brush my mane, and then we can go. I’ll be right back!” She picked up her brush and went to work on the frazzled fiasco that was her mane. “Did Spike let you in?” she asked.

“I let myself in. I hope that’s quite alright. I had just met Spike in town, so I knew he wasn’t there, and when you didn’t answer the door…”

“It’s fine, Rarity. I told you girls, this is as much your castle as it is mine,” Twilight replied. She left her bedroom, her mane freshly brushed, and carrying her saddle bag. “Can I go out like this?”

Rarity gave her an approving nod. “You look fine. Let’s go!”

The other girls and Spike were already gathered around a table at Burger Princess when Twilight and Rarity arrived. When she smelled the fresh hay fries, her stomach gave a loud growl, and Applejack said, “Whoa nelly, seems it’s about time you get your lunch, Twi!”

“I’m sorry, Twilight,” Spike said, “I tried to get you to wake up, but I just couldn’t, and I had to go grocery shopping.”

“It’s okay, Spike. Thanks for taking care of the groceries.”

“Another all-nighter, huh,” Rainbow asked.

“Um, yes. Sort of.”

“What was Sunset Shimmer writing you anyway?” Spike asked.

“Sunset Shimmer?” the others echoed in unison, suddenly staring at her with rapt attention. “Is she alright?” Rarity added.

“Oh, yes, not to worry,” Twilight said. “We just… chatted,” she added sheepishly. “Through the book.” She couldn’t help but smile as she thought back at the other night. It had been nice to talk to Sunset Shimmer again.

“Last night?” Rarity asked. “My, that would explain a thing or two.”

“What for?” Applejack asked. “Wouldn’t y’all rather sleep?”

“Well, yes. But Sunset Shimmer couldn’t sleep, and so she wrote me and asked if I wanted to, well, chat.”

“Only thing that really helps is warm cider,” Applejack good-naturedly replied. “Gets ya real nice and sleepy.”

“Baking helps, too!” Pinkie chimed in. “After a dozen or so trays of cupcakes you get really dozy. I used to do that when I had trouble sleeping after I moved here. Until Mrs. Cake asked me to cause less of a ruckus at night.” She pouted. “I’m still working on silent baking. But it’s hard!”

“So what’d you talk about if there wasn’t a cool new monster or anything?” Rainbow asked casually while examining the menu.

“Well, just… this and that, really,” Twilight said. “It was… nice. Yes. Really nice.” If Sunset Shimmer hadn’t had trouble sleeping, Twilight thought to herself, she probably never would have written. So yes, all the sleep they had missed last night had turned out really, well, nice.

“Well just let me know when you two are having a late-night chat again so I can sleep in one of the guest rooms,” Spike said. “That buzz.” He shuddered. “I dreamed of the largest seven-layered gem cake in the history of gem cakes. I was about to take a little bite when suddenly it started buzzing like crazy, and then a giant black millipede clawed its way out of it. And it buzzed.”

Twilight chuckled and gave him an apologetic pat on the shoulder. “I’m sorry, Spike. Next time I’ll warn you, or take it elsewhere, promise.” Next time. She fought back the urge to double-check the book which she had brought along in her saddle bag, but she was pretty sure that they had agreed on having another chat like this sometime soon. Now that was something to look forward to!

“Looks like you made a pen pal,” Rarity cooed. “That’s lovely!” Twilight nodded emphatically.

“Are you ready to order?” the newly arrived waitress asked. Twilight’s stomach growled loudly in response.

***

Unlike Twilight, Sunset didn’t have the luxury of sleeping in until noon. Unfortunately sleep-deprived class turned out to be about as brutal as she had expected. She somehow managed to stay conscious through the first periods before lunch break, but she certainly didn’t leave a very lively impression on her teachers. When she sat down next to her friends in the cafeteria, she was ready to fall face-first into her salad.

She didn’t regret a thing, though. It wasn’t like she would have slept anyway that night if she hadn’t exchanged letters with Twilight, after all.

Sunset hadn’t been able to bring herself to leaving the book at home, but she didn’t dare take it to class anymore either. So instead she had left it in her locker, checking if there was a new message after every period, just in case. Although, she thought, she hadn’t really been expecting one—Twilight was probably still asleep. The mental image of the purple alicorn curled up all peacefully made her smile.

“Sunset Shimmer?” Rarity’s voice made it through the haze that was surrounding her brain. “Are you quite alright?”

Sunset looked up and found herself facing her friends who were in turn looking at her with some concern. Her salad was sitting in front of her, untouched.

“Yeah, sure, I’m fine, don’t worry,” she said.

“You totally zoned out there,” Rainbow Dash pointed out. “What’s up?”

“Nothing,” Sunset said. “Just tired.”

“Bad night’s sleep?” Applejack asked.

“Um, yeah,” Sunset replied. “I couldn’t really get to sleep last night until way past three.” She shrugged. “I’ll get through the day somehow and have a nice long nap when I get home.”

“Did you try some hot milk?” Applejack asked. “My granny sometimes has trouble sleepin’, and she swears by it.”

Sunset smiled as she thought back to the night before, when Twilight had recommended the same thing. For a short moment she considered telling the others about the texting, but then she decided not to. She wanted to keep this little exchange she’d had with Twilight to herself, because—because it was precious to her. Because, for some reason, texting with Twilight she hadn’t felt insecure about how to act, what to say… like she still frequently did when she was around her other new friends.

“Sunset, sugarcube?” Applejack asked again, sounding concerned.

“I did,” Sunset said. “I tried hot milk. But I only managed to let it burn. I was… distracted.”

“What’d you do? Read dirty comics?” Rainbow asked with a smirk, earning her a disapproving look from Rarity.

“No, I…” Again, Sunset considered telling them. It would probably be nice to share this kind of thing with some friends. They would perhaps even be happy for her. “Just read a book.” Again, she couldn’t bring herself to it.

“Darling, you really need to get some sleep as soon as you get home,” Rarity said. “Until then, maybe have a big coffee?”

“Yeah, that’s the plan.”

“Aren’t you gonna eat that salad?” Rainbow Dash asked innocently. “I’ll lend you a hand if you want. Y’know, as a good friend.”

Sunset looked down on her still untouched salad. It seemed like an undue amount of work to eat all of it, but right now she would need any bit of energy she could get. She lifted her fork and started eating, only now realizing through her exhaustion how hungry she was. “Mo fanks, I fink I cam mamage,” she mumbled with her mouth full. The others giggled.

***

Sunset was lying in bed, the book in her lap again. She had just come home from school and was ready to finally get some sleep. She was still debating if she should write Twilight already. She definitely wanted to, but again she felt hesitant, worrying she might interrupt Twilight inconveniently. At the same time she was aware that she was, probably, being silly again, that Twilight wouldn’t mind if she wrote. In fact, she had it written on paper.

I’d love to

She looked at the sentence, written in the sloppy hornwriting of somepony who was already more than half asleep. There was really no reason to be shy. As it were, Twilight would probably even be glad to hear from her. So why was she making such a fuzz about this?

There was no reason, that was why. Sunset shook her head. She would write Twilight again after her nap, if she still felt the urge to, as she was right now. She closed the book and was about to put it on her nightstand when it started buzzing in her hands. The sudden noise almost startled her into dropping the book. Her heart hammering in her chest from the shock, she opened the book and read.

Dear Sunset Shimmer,

How did you get through the day? I hope you weren’t too exhausted! I’m assuming you need a nap about as badly as I do, so I wish you sweet dreams and a good sleep, and maybe we can chat some more later when we’re both awake. I’m looking forward to it!

Yours
Twilight

Sunset Shimmer grinned and quickly wrote a reply.

Hey Twi,

I was wondering how you’d fare. I’m about to take a nap as well. Sweet dreams to you too! Talk to you later!

SS

Not able to contain a giddy grin, she put the book aside and snuggled up underneath her blanket, quickly falling asleep.

***

When the buzzing of the book woke Sunset Shimmer up, it was already dark outside. A quick glance at her alarm clock told her that it was almost eight. She took the book and read.

My goodness, I can’t believe I slept until now! I must still be more exhausted than I thought. How are you doing?

Sunset Shimmer yawned and stretched before she picked up her pen and thought about a reply. How she was doing—well, at least she was well-rested now after the long nap. And there were definitely worse ways of waking up than a text from a friend from another dimension.

Actually you just woke me up. I guess we both needed some rest. How was your day? I don’t think I remember anything from school today; everything’s just a giant grey blur.

As the book’s glow slowly dissipated, Sunset considered getting up. It was past dinner time, but she wasn’t really hungry, and the bed was so nice and warm right now. So she just gave another hearty yawn and took a sip of water from the glass on her nightstand. She didn’t have to wait long for a reply.

I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to interrupt your sleep! If you rather want to continue sleeping, I’ll just leave you alone and get some reading done!

Sunset grinned as she penned her reply.

No worries. There are worse ways to wake up than a message from you. I’m always happy to hear from you!

As the yellow glow engulfed the letters, Sunset bit her lip. All she had intended was make Twilight smile the same she did when that thought had come to her mind, but it seemed a bit… overzealous, now that she re-read it. She didn’t have a lot of time for second thoughts though before Twilight’s answer arrived.

Great! I was looking forward to this all day long! At least when I wasn’t wishing I had those hands back so I could pinch myself awake… I read through the Owler book I mentioned last night, but I think I’ll have to re-read a good part of it—you know, grey blur…

Sunset closed her eyes and suppressed to urge to smack herself in the head. There was, obviously, no reason for all her worries. If anything, Twilight was happy to write back and forth with her, and it was very unlikely that she’d be annoyed by her. For some reason, things were unbelievably easy with Twilight.

“You’re an idiot, Sunset Shimmer,” she murmured to herself. “That’s all.” Then the book buzzed again, and a postscript from Twilight appeared.

Have you had dinner yet? I’ll quickly go and make me a sandwich or something, since Spike isn’t here.

Sunset’s stomach growled in reaction to that. Yes, now she was hungry. Sandwich sounded like a good idea, even though it meant she’d have to leave her comfortable bed. Sighing at the injustice she was facing, she folded back her covers and stood up. She shivered slightly and took her bath robe from the hanger on the wall. Picking up the book, she made her way for the kitchen. A quick glance into the fridge confirmed that she at least had enough provisions at hand. She took out some ingredients, but before she went to preparing the sandwich, she quickly wrote another message.

I’m going to steal your idea and make a sandwich too. Cheese, bell peppers, and mayonnaise. What are you having?

The reply came when she was just arranging her sandwich on a plate and was about to return to the bedroom.

Lettuce and daisies, my favorite. Enjoy your meal!

Back in bed, Sunset hurried to eat her sandwich, for communicative purposes as well as because she was famished. Then she wrote.

That was so good. The only thing that’s missing right now is a nice dessert, like a milkshake.

Once more she bit her lip. It wasn’t the only thing that was missing. If she was honest with herself, there was one other thing, or rather pony-turned-girl that was missing. As nice as the texting was, it would have been even nicer to have Twilight there again.

Oh no, did you have to mention that? Now I’m craving a milkshake too! But Sugarcube Corner is closed already!

She grinned mischievously at Twilight’s reply. This was way too easy. She was not going to miss an opportunity like this to tease her.

Yeah, same here. But Donut Joe’s is still open. They make amazing milkshakes. I’m wondering if it’s worth getting out of bed and walking through the night…

The message was sent in the familiar glow. Sunset chuckled and waited a few seconds before she added another line.

Sorry, couldn’t resist. I don’t think I’m leaving the house again tonight. Not even for milkshakes. How’d the Owler book turn out? The parts you remember, that is. Anything that might explain how the books work?

Again, she didn’t have to wait long.

I’m blowing you a raspberry right now, even though you can’t see it!

The book is mostly about fundamental theories, not so much about practical application. Owler proposes that you can express an entire space-time-continuum as an n-dimensional matrix; and then he proceeds to demonstrate how this eigenmatrix could be integrated into his mathematical approach to magic.

While Sunset was chewing on her pen thinking about a reply, another postscript arrived.

You know I was just joking, right? This is really hard to get across in writing…

Sunset wrote.

I know you were. But you’re right, sometimes writing makes things harder.

But Owler’s approach has never resulted in usable spells, has it?

Twilight replied.

It hasn’t; the book is purely theoretical, just like all of Owler’s work. I’ve always found his approach to magic fascinating, but I’ve never gotten around to actually try my hoof on creating a spell from a formula. It’s really fascinating.

Normally I don’t have trouble expressing myself in letters. Then again, I’m not usually scolding somepony for making me crave milkshakes, so that might be circumstantial. I’m joking again, in case it wasn’t obvious. This is just so much harder than when talking in person.

Sunset Shimmer’s pen hovered a few millimeters above the page, trembling. There was really only one obvious reply to this, but she was hesitant to write it. Maybe it was too much to ask? After all, going on a transdimensional trip just for a quick milkshake seemed excessive even to Sunset. And Twilight had already written that she was tired.

But if she said yes they would be able to talk again, face to face, which would in fact be so much better than texting. And if she didn’t ask, Sunset would never know.

“What’s the worst that can happen?” she murmured. “She says no, and we keep texting. It’s not like she’ll be mad or something. I think.” She gulped and forced her hand down on the paper before she could have second thoughts.

You’re right, talking in person is much better. Obviously the only solution is for you to come over here, and we go have that milkshake. My treat. What do you think?

It felt like an eternity until the page started glowing and the message was sent. Sunset Shimmer closed her eyes and leaned back into her pillow, shaking. What if she had made a mistake? What if Twilight said no? She tried to steady her breath, no very successfully. It was too late anyway, the message was sent.

But, on the other hand, if Twilight would actually come through the portal, and they could see each other tonight—that would be pretty awesome. Again she realized how much she missed her Equestrian friend.

After what felt like a handful of eternities, the book buzzed again. Although she had been waiting for it, Sunset almost jumped in her bed. With a shaky hand she reached for the book on her nightstand, only to hesitate with opening it. She gulped again. It was now or never. She opened the book and read.

I hope you’re not joking, because otherwise I’d look quite silly for taking your suggestion seriously. I’d love to. Can you pick me up at the portal in half an hour?

With a loud squeal Sunset dropped the book on her bed, kicking her legs under her duvet in excitement. Twilight had said yes! She was coming over! They would see each other again! Tonight! Barely able to keep her hands from shaking, she wrote.

Not joking at all. I’ll be there.

After a few moments Sunset calmed down and, still grinning madly, got up. She would have to hurry in order to be there in time. She quickly replaced her pajama bottoms and tank top with a pair of jeans and a purple hoodie before she put on shoes. About to leave the apartment, she decided to take along the book, just in case Twilight needed to contact her again, and stuffed it into her bag.

As she walked down the dark and mostly deserted streets she found it hard not to break into a jog, just so she would absolutely not be too late and let Twilight wait. Mostly for that reason, at least—if she was honest with herself, she had to admit that she felt shaky, almost jittery from excitement to see Twilight again.

When she reached the school’s main entrance, there was nobody else in sight. At least she wasn’t too late. She quickly checked the book, just in case she had missed a message, but there was no new entry.

Luckily she didn’t have to wait long.

“Hi, Twilight!” she greeted the other pony-turned-girl as she stepped through the portal. She made a step towards her and noticed that her knees were shaking—was she really that excited to see Twilight again?

Twilight turned towards Sunset and quickly crossed the distance between them, pulling her into a quick hug. “This is completely crazy, you know?” she said, smiling.

“Having a milkshake with a friend?” Sunset Shimmer asked innocently.

“Using complex transdimensional thaumaturgic technology in order to have a milkshake,” Twilight clarified as she let go of Sunset Shimmer. She hesitated a second, lowering her gaze. “But it’s great to see you again, so I guess it’s alright.”

Sunset Shimmer beamed. “It’s great to see you too. Transdimensional thaumaturgic technology should be used for doing good, after all, right?” Twilight grinned and nodded. “Alright, then let’s go! Donut Joe’s is that way.”

***

Donut Joe’s was almost empty; only a couple was sitting in one of the booths that lined the wall opposite the bar, holding each other’s hands on the table. Sunset and Twilight settled down in an empty booth.

“It has gotten pretty cool,” Twilight said, rubbing her hands to warm them up. “I think I might skip the milkshake and go for something hot.”

“Yeah, fall is coming,” Sunset agreed. “I should have warned you so you could have put on something warmer.” Her gaze fell on the goose bumps on Twilight’s arm. “Sorry.”

Twilight plucked at her short-sleeved blouse. “This is what I’m wearing when I get out of the portal. I don’t usually wear clothes in Equestria. On the other hoof, back in Equestria I have fur.”

“I wonder how the portal picks out your outfit,” Sunset mused. “Or how it picked out mine when I first got here, for that matter.”

“Yes,” Twilight agreed. “It’s on the list of things I want to find out about this.” She couldn’t help but wonder if Sunset’s habitual dress and leather jacket was what the portal had given her, but she looked very nice in her unfamiliar hoodie.

The waitress appeared next to their table. “Are you ready to order?”

Twilight glanced at the menu. “Hot cocoa for me, please. Something warm.”

Sunset nodded. “I think I’ll have cocoa too. Hmm. I wouldn’t mind some waffles. Would you perhaps want to share, Twilight? I’m not sure I can eat a whole dish.”

Twilight smiled. “Yes, of course!”

“Two hot cocoas and the waffles,” the waitress nodded. “Can I get you anything else?” The two girls shook their heads. “Okay, thanks!” she said and returned to the bar, leaving Sunset and Twilight by themselves.

Twilight gave the waitress a smile and turned back to Sunset. The other girl had lowered her gaze and was staring at their hands which were resting on the table. Suddenly she raised her eyes and looked directly into Twilight’s, and Twilight realized that they had been silent for some time now, just looking at each other. She smiled and said, “So, um. Here we are.”

“Here we are,” Sunset agreed, returning the smile. “It’s pretty cool, isn’t it?”

“It is!”

“Yes.”

“Um.”

They kept looking at each other, still smiling, not really knowing what to say. Twilight noticed that Sunset had started kneading her fingers, and had to resist a sudden urge to put her hand on Sunset’s to calm her down. She felt heat rise in her cheeks, and to her surprise she noticed a faint pink flush on Sunset’s cheeks as well.

Twilight giggled. “It’s somewhat ironic how we can text through an entire night, yet when we finally see each other again, we don’t know what to talk about, isn’t it?”

Sunset nodded. “Yes, it is. So, um. How was your day? What else did you do except for napping through the afternoon?”

“Not much, really. I got up just in time to have lunch with my friends. Then I tried to read some more, and before I fell asleep I wrote you, and that’s pretty much it.”

“That’s nice.”

“Yeah, um. How was your day?”

“School was brutal, I was so sleep-deprived,” Sunset replied, sounding relieved. “It was so hard to not doze off in class. And between periods I always went and…” She trailed off, casting a nervous gaze at her bag holding the book.

“Hm?”

In that very moment, the waitress returned and placed two big mugs of cream-topped cocoa and a plate with waffles on their table. “There you are, girls. Enjoy!” Sunset let go a relieved sigh; she must have been really thirsty.

They both grinned at each other and picked up their mugs. “Now this better be worth the travel,” Twilight said, winking, and took a sip. While she did miss the oatmeal she usually had her cocoa topped with in her version of Sugarcube Corner, it was still delicious. When she put the mug back down she noticed Sunset Shimmer staring at her. “Did I make a mess with the cream?” she asked, wiping her upper lip.

“No, but… you have an eyelash on your cheek.” Before Twilight could react, Sunset reached out brushed it off with a fingertip. The soft and short, yet unexpected touch sent a shiver down Twilight’s spine. The one thing she had never gotten used to was the sensitivity of human skin. Not even a pony’s muzzle was as sensitive as her human cheek!

She realized that Sunset had said something. “Sorry, what did you say?”

“Make a wish,” Sunset repeated, smiling. “There’s this superstition here that if you blow away an eyelash, you can make a wish.”

Twilight pursed her lips and softly blew the eyelash off Sunset’s fingertip. I wish that we’ll keep seeing each other like this. “Done.”

Sunset withdrew her finger. “It’s just a silly superstition,” she said. “It’s not like there’s magic in this world.”

“Well, there is some,” Twilight said. “There’s the magic that’s still manifest in you girls when you play… and the Dazzlings also had magic. Not anymore, granted, but it shows that magic can be brought here.”

“You’re right. And there’s the books, too,” Sunset agreed, looking at her bag.

“Did you bring yours?” Twilight asked.

“Yes, just in case you couldn’t make it or something.”

Twilight looked at the bag embroidered with Sunset’s cutie mark. “But I wasn’t going to stand you up,” Twilight said.

“I know,” Sunset said. “I was just being silly.”

“No, sorry, that’s not what I meant to say!” Twilight hurried to explain. “I would have brought mine if it wasn’t powering the portal. You are not silly at all, Sunset!”

“I sure feel like it sometimes, though,” Sunset mused. “Before… well, y’know. Back then, I hardly talked to people. Only Snips and Snails, and I mostly just ordered them around. It’s easy enough getting along with you, or the other girls, it’s just… it feels like there are all these little rules and laws, what you can do and what you can’t do when you’re friends… or what you can expect… Geez, sorry, I didn’t mean to ruin the mood like this.”

Twilight just acted on impulse as she put her hand on Sunset’s. Sunset’s eyes snapped wide open, and she stared at Twilight, who replied, “Don’t worry. A friend will always listen to your worries. Besides, I know how you feel.” Sunset mumbled something unintelligible, and Twilight withdrew her hand. “Pardon?”

“Sorry, Twi… I said, how can you know how I feel? You’re the Princess of Friendship, and in your world you are close friends with the pony versions of the girls here… you’re not exactly the antisocial loner type. Unlike me.”

Twilight smiled. “I used to be that pony, the antisocial loner. Before I came to Ponyville and first met my friends, I was a complete shut-in. All I cared for were my studies, and I thought I didn’t have time for friends. After my brother had left to join the guard, the only ones I spent time with were Spike and Princess Celestia. So when the princess sent me to Ponyville, I was pretty much in the same situation as you are now. Well, except that the future of Equestria actually depended on me making friends. And all I really wanted was to be left alone with my books. Only later I realized how much they meant to me, and then I panicked because I had no idea how to maintain friendships. But I learned my lessons. And so will you. You’re off to a great start.”

“Thanks,” Sunset said softly. She gave Twilight a long look. “It’s pretty hard to imagine you as the socially inept bookworm. Are you sure you’re not just trying to comfort me?”

“I’m being completely serious,” Twilight said, doing her best to sound as convincing as possible. “I wouldn’t lie to you.”

“Are you sure?” Sunset asked with a smirk. “The future of Equestria depended on you making friends? It does sound a little bit melodramatic, don’t you think?”

“It really did! I would never have been able to defeat Nightmare Moon without the others!”

“Nightmare Moon?” Sunset leaned in. “Now that’s a story I’d love to hear.”

***

Twilight Sparkle was just done putting on her pajamas when her phone gave three short buzzes from the nightstand. She immediately reached for her glasses and hastened over to pick up the phone—that was exactly the signal she had been waiting for.

After her last inexplicable energy read-outs from Canterlot High School, she had been in panic that she might miss the next energy excursion. So she had left her lab computer running (in violation of school rules, but this was far more exciting!) and written a little program that would send her a text in case of more unusual readings.

The summary of the data in the text message looked interesting—apparently the energy burst was much weaker than the last one had been, but Twilight had identified what looked like a pattern of weaker bursts followed by bigger excursions. The text also contained the rough coordinates—the same place as the last few times. There was almost no doubt that Canterlot High was where she had to go.

It was probably a good thing she didn’t have to go there during class.

“This time,” Twilight murmured and grabbed her phone and her rucksack which contained her latest concoction, an energy meter suitable for a wide range of frequencies and energy levels. Its resolution was quite a bit higher than that of the antenna rigged to the school computer—which had started its life as a weather experiment, until it had picked up the first high energy burst. It was good enough to detect energy bursts and even calculate rough coordinates, but its readings weren’t detailed enough to really learn what kind of energy it was.

That was where the new energy meter came into play. It would—in theory—provide her with a much better spectrum analysis. The downside was that its range was limited. To get her data she would need to get within probably a few meters of the source.

As she was about to leave the room, Spike, who had until now been sound asleep in his basket, gave a surprised yelp. “Spike? You wanna come too?” Even though he was still sleepy and almost tumbled out of his basket, he ran towards her, and she picked him up.

She hurried downstairs, and only when she reached the front door she realized that she was wearing pajamas. Twilight shrugged and grabbed her coat from the hanger next to the door.

“Dad, can I take the car?”

Her father’s voice resounded from the sitting room. “Where are you going this late, Twilight?”

“I, um,” she stuttered, “I forgot something. Um, for school”

“And what might it be that you need so badly that you have to go out for it tonight?” Her father sounded amused.

“It’s…” Think, Sparkle, think! “I have this experiment set up for tomorrow, and I thought I still had, um, some batteries, but turns out I don’t. So can I go to the shop and get some?”

Her father chuckled. “My daughter, forgetful genius. Sure. Drive safe, and don’t be too long. It’s a school night after all.”

“Thanks, Dad!” She grabbed the car keys and put on her coat over her pajamas before she rushed out of the door. “This time,” she mumbled to herself.

***

“… and Princess Celestia gave me order to stay in Ponyville to study the magic of friendship.” Twilight smiled as she thought back to how happy she had felt in that moment, so much time ago.

“Wow,” Sunset said. “That’s amazing. And yes, you were a little bit of a dork back then.”

“I told you I was,” Twilight happily agreed. “So, the moral of the story is, if a silly little dork like me could learn the magic of friendship, then so can you.”

“Okay, so riddle me this then, dear Princess of Friendship,” Sunset grinned. “What do two friends do when there is only one waffle left?”

“Oh, that’s an easy one,” Twilight replied, grinning back. “See, one might think that the right answer is to let your friend have it, but in that case you might end up in an endless loop of ‘No, you take it’. So what you really do is share it.”

“Sounds reasonable,” Sunset said. She picked up the waffle and carefully tore it into two halves, handing one to Twilight. Their fingertips brushed against each other, and again the sensitivity of her human form sent a shiver down Twilight’s spine. She cast a quick glance at Sunset Shimmer to see if the contact had an equal effect on her, but if it did, she didn’t show it. Then again, she was way more used to the peculiarities of being a human than Twilight was. She ate her half of the waffle.

Sunset looked at the clock above the bar. “Hmm, it’s half past eleven already.”

“Do you have to go home soon?” Twilight asked.

Sunset reluctantly nodded. “I should if I don’t want to be as tired tomorrow as I was today. That’s not a lot of fun.” She bit her lip, and Twilight wondered if she had wanted to add something.

Unfortunately, she could hardly disagree with Sunset, even though she didn’t really want to split either. At least not yet. So she also gave a slow nod. “Makes sense, I guess. Maybe I should be fit for royal duty tomorrow as well. For a change.”

Sunset paid the bill and got on their way back to the school. In the time they had spent in the diner it had gotten noticeably colder, and Twilight was kneading her fingers to keep them warm. Luckily it wasn’t that far to the school. But when they arrived, Sunset suddenly seized Twilight’s arm to stop her, and pointed at the statue.

Crooked on the pavement stood a dark sedan, the driver’s door open. A person wearing a big baggy coat and some strange pants was slowly walking around the statue plinth that contained the portal, hunched over and staring at the ground. It looked like they were looking for something.

“Great, some crazy person is looking for dropped pennies,” Sunset commented. “Looks like we’ll have to wait before we can return you to Equestria.”

“Yeah, great,” Twilight said. She shivered.

“Are you cold?” Sunset asked.

“Mostly my hands.”

Sunset didn’t reply, but stepped in front of Twilight facing her. She reached out with her hands and took Twilight’s, pulling them towards her and into the front pocket of her hoodie. Twilight barely withheld a gasp at the sudden contact and made an involuntary step towards Sunset Shimmer, but then the warmth of Sunset’s hands registered with her icy skin. Sunset covered both of Twilight’s hands with hers and held them tightly, covering pretty much every cold bit of skin. “Does that help?” she asked, smiling.

Twilight only nodded, not trusting her voice. She was overwhelmed by Sunset’s soft touch on her hands. She was acutely aware that her thumb was resting on the base of Sunset’s thumb, and that the back of her hand was brushing against Sunset’s stomach every time she breathed in. Her hands slowly soaked up Sunset’s warmth.

She noticed that she was staring down at the pocket hiding the shapes of their intertwined hands. Although she could only see the fabric of Sunset’s hoodie, in her head she had a very clear image of how their hands were arranged; which of Sunset’s fingers was resting where on her hands and where her own fingers were placed on Sunset’s hands. On Sunset’s incredibly smooth and warm skin. She slightly twisted her hands, barely changing their position, but nonetheless reveling in the sensation of soft skin gently brushing past her hands.

Twilight felt her cheeks flushing. She just wanted to continue caressing Sunset’s hands. Yet, at the same time, she was afraid that Sunset might… not want her to. That it would make Sunset somehow uncomfortable. What if—?

Throwing all caution in the wind she allowed her thumb to brush over Sunset’s thumb, just enough to make it count.

In response, Sunset’s fingers which were resting on the back of Twilight’s hands started moving. Started—stroking her? Yes. Stroking. Sunset was stroking her hand. Twilight was vaguely aware that, judging from the heat levels, her blush had increased by several orders of magnitude, and that a strange queasiness jolted through her stomach, but she quickly focused on the important part: the sensation of Sunset’s fingertips slowly brushing back and forth on the back of her hand.

Twilight swallowed. This time it was much easier to start stroking Sunset’s thumb with hers again. Sunset immediately responded by brushing her thumb up against Twilight’s, and soon the tips of their thumbs were circling around each other. At the very edge of her consciousness she heard an engine start.

From the corner of her eyes Twilight noticed Sunset moving her head ever so slightly, and she looked up, straight into the other girl’s eyes. Sunset was biting her own lip, but she was nonetheless giving Twilight a faint, lopsided smile which Twilight hurried to return, shakily as it was.

Cyan, she thought incoherently. Sunset’s eyes are cyan. I knew that, but. Cyan.

A loud thunk startled them both, and Twilight turned around to where the noise had come from. Sunset gripped her hands tighter inside the hoodie pocket. Across the road, right next to the portal, the dark sedan was slowly driving away, leaving a knocked over trash bin in its wake. Sunset gave a giggle. “Good driver,” she whispered.

“Looks like I have to go,” Twilight said flatly.

“Yeah,” Sunset agreed, biting her lip again.

“Yeah.”

They didn’t move for a few more moments, looking into each other’s eyes, holding hands. Then Sunset chuckled. “Okay, let’s get you home, princess.” She pulled both their hands out of the pocket, letting go of Twilight’s right, and started for the portal, dragging Twilight along. Twilight followed suit, trying to push back the regret that she had to let go of Sunset’s hands.

When they reached the portal, Twilight stopped and turned around. She didn’t want to go home, not yet. She didn’t want to leave Sunset Shimmer. The other girl gave her another lopsided smile and said, “So, um.”

“This was, um, really nice,” Twilight said, still way too conscious of Sunset’s hand in her own hand. “We, um, should do this again sometime.”

“That would be great!” Sunset beamed. A car drove by on the street, and they both spun around towards it. “Maybe we should get you through while we still can.”

“Yeah.”

Sunset suddenly let go of Twilight’s hand and pulled her into a tight hug, which Twilight promptly returned, resting her cheek on Sunset’s. “It was great seeing you,” Sunset whispered. Twilight just nodded, too busy taking in the sensation of Sunset being pressed up against her, of Sunset’s hair tickling her face, of Sunset’s arms around her neck. Way too soon Sunset let go of her and looked at her with that by now so familiar lopsided smile.

“You too,” Twilight said. She made a step towards the portal, her eyes still on Sunset. The other girl raised her right hand in a sheepish wave. Still not turning her head away, she stepped through the portal.