• Published 28th Jan 2018
  • 181 Views, 0 Comments

Muzzle Full of Thorns - sarcasticdragon



Star Thistle is very successful at what he does, but not everypony approves of his choice of work. Especially not his family. A unicorn in a high class Canterlot society has many options in front of them. Why did he half to choose this?

  • ...
 0
 181

"A Quick Visit"

Star Thistle gathered himself and forced a happy smile on his face. “Father! What a pleasant surprise…” he galloped over towards Rowan Rune “You should have told me you were coming! I would have made some cocoa. What can I do for you today?” Rowan Rune glanced up at his son and put his watch away. The older stallion forced himself onto his legs and calmly approached Thistle.

“Star Thistle… you seem to be doing well,” Rowan looked him over briefly. “I hope it’s no trouble that I’ve stopped by.” Thistle could feel his eye twitch and unconsciously clenched his jaw.

“Of course not!” he vehemently protested “Though I will admit your timing could have been better, I’m afraid I’m meeting with a colleague very soon.” Thistle quickly checked his watch hoping his father would take the hint.

“This will not take long,” Rowan Rune held up a hoof as if to silence any objections then gestured at the door “but I believe it would be best if we could speak in private.” Before Star Thistle could respond Rowan Rune had already entered the shop and Thistle reluctantly followed. The small gold bell chimed as he pushed the door shut behind him. He made a mental note to apologize to Professor Ivory when he finally got to see her. None of his father’s “quick visits” were short after all.The pair of unicorns were greeted by a short, pink earth pony behind the counter.

“Mr. Thistle, great timing. The new potion vials you ordered came in, do you want me to put them into the storage room or will you take them into your office?”

“Please put them in the storage room for now Hazelnut. I’ll grab them at the end of the day. If Professor Ivory arrives before we finish ask her to wait in my workroom please.”

“You got it boss,” Hazelnut took a note “It’s a pleasure to see your again Mr.Rune.” Rowan Rune nodded sternly in acknowledgment and continued into Star Thistle’s office. “Good luck sir,” Hazelnut quietly giggled than walked over to a rose display.

“Thanks..” Thistle sighed and approached the office door “I’m gonna need it,” he muttered to himself.


Rowan Rune inspected a globe on the edge of Star Thistle’s desk. His office was slightly cluttered. A pile of letters sat ignored in a pile on one side of the desk, scrapped potion ideas were scattered around a wastebasket, and a few dirty mugs sat on the windowsill reminding him of his all-nighters. Thistle shut the door and walked further into the small room.

“You seem to be taking this rather seriously,” Rowan Rune glanced at the large bookshelf crammed with reference books.

“Of course, it is my livelihood after all, though I do wish it left more time for my own research,” Thistle straightened up the letters and placed them in the bottom drawer.

“Yes, yes…” Rowan trailed off. For the first time in a long time, Rowan’s amber eyes met Star Thistle's. “My visit might be more important then I had originally let on…” he started.

“O..kay?” Thistle tilted his head in confusion.

“The wizard’s council has decided to hold an exhibition on different methods of magic,” Rowan paused to let his words sink in “I want you to act as a representative for potions and botanical based magic.” For a second the world froze. Star Thistle could only hear the vibrations of his own heart beating in his chest.

“You...you want me?” Thistle finally managed to stammer out. He was drowning as a wave of emotions rushed over him: joy, amazement, relief, and...anger. Thistle steadied himself against the desk. “I’m flattered, truly flattered, but I need some time to think it over.” He stared at the floor.

“You have time,” Rowan nodded, not showing any hint of emotion “There is no pressure. I will return in a week to hear your answer,” Rowan Rune started for the door. Thistle swallowed at looked up.

“Thank you for the opportunity… Dad,” Star Thistle added that last part so quietly he was afraid his father didn’t hear him. For the first time since he arrived Rowan’s poker face softened and he glanced back at his son.

“You’re welcome Thistle.” Rowan Rune left the office, seconds later the muted chime of a bell rang and then everything fell silent. Star Thistle sat behind his desk and dropped his aching head onto the desk. He couldn’t quite comprehend what had just happened, after months of ignoring him Rowan Rune strode back into his life and dropped that piece of news in his lap. Thistle sat in silence. After a few moments, there was a quiet knock at his door. Hazelnut’s head popped through the doorway.

“Professor Ivory Gleam is waiting for you boss.”

“Tell her I’ll be with her in a moment.” Thistle got up and gave his mane a quick comb through. He took a deep breath, held his head up high, and walked through the door.

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoy this chapter, it was pretty fun to write honestly. If I have the time I might end up drawing Hazelnut and Rowan Rune on DA.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment