• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 14,145 Views, 993 Comments

Scars of Our Past - JWolfSilver



After the events of the fall formal Sunset is alone and most of the school against her. Will she accept her new friendships are real and will she realize that there is someone who wants to make her family?

  • ...
16
 993
 14,145

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 47: The Drive

Author's Note:

PLEASE READ

Hey, so, 2 things. One, please read the Scars of Our Past Volume 2? Blog post,
The second one is that I still need voice actors for the Audio book. If you are interested, please PM me!

Saturday and Sunday flew by despite nothing really going on and Sunday evening was spent shoving things into suitcases and Celestia and Luna shoving things in both of their cars. Sunset and Chrysalis stood by the garage watching amusedly as the sisters kept arguing and trading off what they had in their vehicles.

In the end, since Luna had the least amount of trunk space, they opted to put the Suitcases in her car while they put the presents and Sunset’s back pack in Celestia’s SUV.

Monday was an early morning with an extremely quick breakfast. Sunset ended up scarfing down the last of her toast while putting on her jacket.

“Everyone have everything?” Celestia asked as they went to the vehicles.

“Tia, this is the third time you’ve asked.” Luna complained.

“I just want to be thorough.” She defended.

Sunset yawned, “It’s six AM, you were thorough until eleven last night, I think we’re good.”

“See? Even the Kid’s had enough!” Luna said.

“Come on! Let’s get going. It’s a long drive.” Chrys shouted from the driver’s seat of Luna’s car.

“Who said you could drive?” Luna growled at her.

“I did. You can nap.” Chrys said.

Luna thought about the prospect of more sleep and smiled getting into the car.

Celestia and Sunset got into the SUV and, after a quick nod to Chrysalis. Both vehicles pulled away from the house.

After a few moments, Sunset spoke. “So how far is your parents’ place anyway?”

“About a five-hour drive.” Celestia said, “We’ll make a few pitstops along the way including an early lunch.”

“I’ve never been outside of the Canterlot area before.” Sunset mused.

“What about field trips?” Celestia asked.

Sunset shrugged, “Never went on them. Didn’t see the appeal nor did I have the funds.”

Celestia nodded, “On another note, how are you feeling?”

Sunset turned to Celestia and smiled, “Great actually. I’m less nervous about it now.” She bit her lip, “but, what exactly did you tell them about me?”

“I didn’t tell them where you are really from if that helps.” Celestia said, “As sweet and caring as they are, I doubt they’d believe you were really a unicorn from an alternate world.”

Sunset chuckled, “I guess it’s something you really need to see to believe.”

Celestia giggled as well, “Yes, you’re right. I told them a bit about your past while at the school and that you have been on your own for a long time. They also know about the earthquake.”

Sunset frowned, “So pretty much all the need to know stuff.”

“Sunset, I know you don’t like to think about how you were but sometimes, it’s good to let people know. It can help people understand you better so they don’t cross any kind of line that may come up. I assure you that my parents won’t judge you on your past.” Celestia chuckled a bit, “If they did, they would have disowned our entire household years ago.”

“That actually makes me feel a lot better, thanks.” Sunset smiled.

As the drive continued, they talked a little about themselves and Sunset told Celestia a few stories about Heartwarming in Equestria and Celestia told her about some of the lore centered around Christmas in the human world.

At some point, Sunset got out her sketch book and started drawing.

“How many pages do you have left in that?” Celestia asked.

Sunset flipped through and frowned slightly, “After this one, three.”

“You’ve been drawing a lot since you got out of the hospital.” Celestia said.

She finished the part of her drawing she was working on before she responded, “It’s been a good outlet for me. Whenever I was nervous or upset about something, I would usually push people around out of anger or frustration. Now, I either start to draw something or get out my sheet music.”

Celestia smiled, “I’m glad you found a hobby. When we first started talking, you didn’t actually have one.”

Sunset nodded, “Yeah I usually just surfed around the internet, read or studied in the spare time I had when I wasn’t scheming until I got my guitar.”

“That doesn’t sound very enjoyable.” She said honestly..

“Not so much, but I’d say it was worth it. I knew next to nothing about the history or biology here. I had to pretty much re-teach myself how to write and move my hands where I wanted them.” Sunset explained, “The main reason I took up guitar was to learn dexterity fast. Then I had to learn how to hold my own in a fight.”

“Fight?” Celestia said with a concerned tone.

“Yeah, I mean, have you seen the neighborhood I used to live in?” Sunset said, “A few months after I started middle school here I almost got mugged, I’m just lucky I outran the guy by ducking into that pizza place. After that, I signed up for a one-month self-defense course and took a few boxing lesson’s.” She sighed, “It’s come in handy more times than I care to admit.”

“That sounds awful, Sunset!” Celestia exclaimed, “You should have told somebody, you could have gotten seriously hurt.”

“Who was I going to tell?” Sunset questioned, “Someone would have told children’s services and shipped me off to some orphanage somewhere. I needed to stay close to the portal.”

“I suppose you’re right but I still don’t approve of a ten-year-old girl having to learn how to fight as a necessity.” Celestia said.

Sunset shrunk in her seat slightly, “I know, sorry. If I’m honest though, it could happen to anybody. A little self-defense couldn’t hurt.”

Celestia was surprised that she accepted her statement without any real rebuttal. She half expected her to respond with something along the lines of; ‘I never asked for your approval’. However, she then thought back to Sunset’s break down and couldn’t remotely see her giving such a response to her.

“Don’t apologize, Sunset.” Celestia said, “I’m glad you could handle yourself for so long and never got too terribly injured. Hearing things like this just makes me wish I knew about your situation sooner.”

“I know.” Sunset smiled softly, “But you did find out and you and the girls helped me when I needed it most. All of you need to stop beating yourselves up about my past. I do that enough on my own.”

Celestia pulled into a gas station and rubbed her face with her hands, “Sunset, you are a wonder.”

Sunset blushed, “That’s a new one.”

“You are such a contrast to how you were before the formal and so mature about most things.”

“What do you mean ‘most’?” Sunset asked.

Celestia took off her seat belt and opened the door, “You are still just a teenager, Sunset. Lately you’ve been letting it show in your actions.”

Sunset smiled and got out of the car without responding. She knew there was truth in her statement. Lately, Sunset had acknowledged the fact that she found herself not playing it as safe as she used to. She has felt free to fool around without having to watch around every corner. It was a nice change.

After bathroom breaks and getting drinks, the four women got back into their respective vehicles and continued on their way after making plans of where to go for lunch.

While driving, Sunset started to study Celestia’s hands and feet and got curious.

“What’s driving like?” She asked.

The question itself made Celestia pale, “Excuse me?”

“What is it like to drive?” She asked again, curiosity rising, “Rarity and Pinkie seem to like it and they just got their licenses.”

Celestia chewed her lip, “I guess it gives you a sense of freedom. It the best way I can describe it.”

Sunset nodded and stared out the front window, wanting to ask another question but was unsure about how the older woman would respond.

Luckily for Sunset, Celestia wasn’t stupid and knew why she asked in the first place, “I knew this was going to come up sooner or later. I take it you want to ask me if you could learn to drive?”

Sunset nodded.

“Well, Chrysalis was actually the first to see this coming.” Celestia said, “Open the glove box. There should be a green and a yellow book inside.”

Sunset did as she was instructed and pulled out the book then proceeded to read the cover of the yellow book. “Learners Hand Book.” Then she read the title of the green book, “Motorcycle handbook. Wait seriously? I thought you didn’t want me to get my motorcycle license.”

“Honestly,” Celestia sighed, “I’m still not too keen on the idea but since you got your papers so late, your friends are already graduating from their learners permits to licenses. Chrysalis pointed out that you would probably want the same freedom as well.”

“Well you’re not wrong.” Sunset said, “I’ve been thinking about it for a while now but I only just got my papers this summer.”

Celestia smiled, “From an alternate world or not, you’re still a teenager who’s seen a car. However, we do need to wait until those guardianship papers are put through.”

Sunset returned Celestia’s smile, “Thanks, I really appreciate it.”

The older woman nodded, “Two conditions.”

Sunset looked at her quizzically.

“One; you read both books starting with the yellow one, I will quiz you when you think you’re ready and if I am confident you know the material, then and only then, you can take your test.” Celestia said.

Sunset nodded, “I can do that. What’s the second?”

“The only other thing I’m telling you is that if you want your motorcycle license first, that’s fine but you need you save up and buy your own.” Celestia said.

Sunset grinned, “Deal.”

Celestia laughed at the excitement in Sunset’s voice as she immediately opened the driver’s manual and started to read it after putting her ear buds in.

The remaining drive to the diner was relatively quiet, other than the occasion that Sunset asked a question about what a certain phrase meant.

Shortly after they ate, they were back on the road again. Sunset closed the manual half way through and put both in her bag and continued to draw again and did so for the rest of the drive.

Celestia kept thinking of how far Sunset has come from a queen bee and bully, to a scared girl that felt so alone to the wonderful young woman she was now becoming. It’s been three months since the formal and she couldn’t be prouder of her.

PreviousChapters Next