• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 13,837 Views, 993 Comments

Scars of Our Past - JWolfSilver



After the events of the fall formal Sunset is alone and most of the school against her. Will she accept her new friendships are real and will she realize that there is someone who wants to make her family?

  • ...
16
 993
 13,837

Chapters Next
Chapter 1: A Second Chance

She wasn’t sure what was or had happened. One moment, she had everything she wanted, the next, it was too much. It consumed her very being, taking over, trapping her in her own darkness. It burned. She didn’t want it, not like this. What got her to this point she didn’t know.

Much to her relief, the Princess and her friends shut her down, dispelling all the power and dark magic she had obtained. She was grateful but now all that was left was a shell of a girl who once had everything…almost everything. She knew that.

In that moment, as the Princess helped her to her feet, she realized that all of that power was never what she truly needed. Now, she had to figure out what she did need.

As if natural to her, Sunset apologized for the first time in over six years and she truly meant it. The looks anger and disgust the students gave her however, told her that there was no forgiveness to be had.

Frowning, she looked around to see the damage she had caused. There was no way Principal Celestia would allow her to remain at CHS after this. To be honest, she wouldn’t be surprised if Celestia called the police or sent her back through the portal for Princess Twilight and Celestia to deal with. She had dug her grave and now she has to lie in it.

Once the Princess and the other students had returned to the gym, Vice-principal Luna Tasked her, Snips and Snails to clean up the mess and start to re-build the front of the school with the brick that sat in the storage shed for the construction class. It did match, though.

Her back stung but Sunset payed no attention to it, only focusing on the task at hand, she would handle the pain later.

After a while of laying mortar and placing bricks, Principal Celestia came out and relieved Snips and Snails from cleaning, giving them a week of in school suspension and a promised phone call to their parents. Sunset knew that the Principal would giving an altered version of the story. No one would believe what had really happened.

For another half hour, Sunset worked in silence, wincing every timed she shifted her back. She didn’t notice but Celestia watched her the entire time, studying her almost. Both of them shifted their attention as Fluttershy, Applejack, Rainbow, Rarity and Pinkie all gathered around the portal to bid Princess Twilight and Spike farewell. Neither of them could hear what was being said but a few glances to Sunset made the girl cower behind the wall.

I really screwed up. She thought to herself. They all must hate me.

Sunset couldn’t bring herself to look at them any longer and soon enough, Twilight passed through the portal just as it closed. The younger girl frowned, she was stuck for another thirty moons. However, she had never planned on going back to deal with Princess Celestia.

Celestia however, watched the girls and when they glanced over to sunset, there was no malice in their expressions. Just thoughtful looks, most likely towards what to do with said girl. Once they all dispersed for home, Celestia walked over to the fiery haired girl.

“Sunset,” the woman said in a serious tone, “Can I see you in my office please?”

Sunset nodded and got up carefully before following the Principal to her office. Principal Celestia waited for Sunset to pass into the room before she shut the door and sat at her desk.

“Please sit.” Celestia said.

The younger girl accepted graciously though she kept her gaze on her feet.

“So,” Celestia started, “You’ve destroyed the front of the school and left a crater in the middle of our courtyard. By all accounts I should expel you or call the police.”

Sunset knew this was coming and at the moment, she felt too emotionally numb to care.She just nodded.

“However,” Celestia continued, making Sunset shoot her head up to look quizzically at the Principal, “After talking with Twilight and Vice-principal Luna, I’m not sure that that would be the best option.”

The girl just stared on, dumbfounded at what she’d just heard. Was Celestia really just going to let her stay? After everything she’d done, she would be allowed to stay at CHS?

“Why?” Sunset managed.

“Twilight explained to me that you are not from here.” She explained, “And she had a hunch that you didn’t mean for things to go as far as they did. In fact, she believes that it is partly her fault.”

“Her fault?” repeated Sunset.

“Yes.” Principal Celestia affirmed, “Apparently, it had looked as though the situation could have been resolved without the mess.”

Sunset thought for a moment. It was true that she had had second thoughts about her plan in the weeks before stealing the crown, even more in the last couple days. Was it really what she wanted? True that this world was foreign to her at one point, but she had long since gotten used to the odd way humans do things but had never intended on staying here, or so she told herself. Still, she found that she had the necessary papers made for her to stay in this world though she told herself that it was just in case she needed a backup plan.

“I’m sorry.” Was all she said, looking back down to her feet.

Celestia sighed, “Tell me, Sunset, what exactly were you thinking? What was your plan? I need the truth or I will have to call the authorities.”

Seeing as she had no other option, Sunset took a deep breath, “I wanted something I couldn’t have. So, I stole Twilight’s crown to get it. I wanted power but that could only happen if I wore the crown here first. That last part was… unexpected.”

Celestia listened carefully to every word she said, looking for any sign of intent but found none, “Then how did you end up in such a position.”

Sunset shook her head, “I don’t know but I wasn’t exactly in control if that’s what you mean. It was like a nightmare. Looking out but not being able to stop you were doing. My plan was to absorb the power from the crown then go back and take over Equestria. That’s not much better than what I did though.”

“What did Twilight mean when she told me the situation could have been avoided?” Celestia asked.

“I was actually ready to cut my losses.” She admitted, “But then Rainbow Dash said something and set off a fuse in my head. I got angry and ended up fighting Twilight and her friends for the crown.”

Celestia thought about this and watched as the girl in front of her frowned in regret but her jaw was tight. She was angry. Not at anyone else though, she seemed to be angry with herself. Honesty was a side of Sunset that the educator had never seen before but she found it suited her. The girl seemed to be showing genuine emotion.

“I’m so stupid.” The young girl mumbled through clenched teeth and balled fist.

Why did I even do it? Sunset questioned herself. I could have given up, no harm done. Twilight could have just taken the crown and I could have just tried to live here. Not much of a life though. Tears started to sting her eyes, Celestia as right, I wasn’t ready, I’m a selfish, egotistical girl with anger management problems who never listened to her teacher. The ONE pony who actually cared! Now what do I have? Sunset wrapped her arms around her stomach and let out quiet sobs, I’m alone. She WARNED me and I was too stubborn to listen. Why now? Why is this JUST sinking in now.

Celestia watched the internal struggle the girl was having. She wanted to go around and hug Sunset to calm her down but this wasn’t the time. She needed to battle this out. Something was different about the teen now. She could see it, the look in her eyes changed, even when angry, it was softer.

Once Sunset calmed down, Celestia spoke again, “Sunset, you know I cannot let this go unpunished but, I have a feeling it’s going to be hard around school for a while. So, in light of that, you are going to attend suspension with Snips and Snail before returning to regular classes.”

Her tone was as stone cold as it had been when the conversation started but Sunset didn’t care.

“Yes, Principal Celestia.” Sunset said then her gaze softened, “I don’t understand why you’re doing this. I didn’t do anything to deserve it.”

Celestia let herself relax, “Sunset Shimmer,” her soothing tone reminded her of the Alicorn Princess, “I believe that you have the ability to change but it’s entirely up to you. You can either embrace this second chance, or, you can repeat your past transgressions. Everyone deserves a second chance.”

“Thank you.” Sunset smiled, teary eyed.

“Now,” Celestia stood, “It’s getting late, you should probably get home.”

Sunset nodded and left the office mumbling to herself, “a second chance.”

Author's Note:

Edit: the audio book's first chapter is on YouTube now
Click here!

Hey! Thanks for reading! This is going to be a novel so sit tight! Chapter 2 will be up in a few minutes! Other than that, I post on Mondays and I hope you enjoy it!
First off though, I need to thank BChunter426 here and on Wattpad because he's the one I bounced ideas around with and he has become a really good friend. His Sunlight fic is really awesome which actually prompted me to talk to him in the first place! So yeah! Shout out to BC for helping edit and for beta reading it for me
Also my friend Hylian Jim over on Fanfiction.net and in the flesh also helped beta as well!
Anyway, see ya when I have something else to say. Later!

Chapters Next