• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 14,032 Views, 993 Comments

Scars of Our Past - JWolfSilver



After the events of the fall formal Sunset is alone and most of the school against her. Will she accept her new friendships are real and will she realize that there is someone who wants to make her family?

  • ...
16
 993
 14,032

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12: Location

It was Sunday afternoon in Celestia and Luna’s home. Celestia was sitting on the couch, reading a book waiting for her sister finally roll out of bed. The younger sister, much like a teenager, had a habit of staying up all night playing her video games and sleeping well past noon on weekends. However, Celestia was a morning person so she couldn’t complain. Also, her sister was a groan woman and didn’t need her to wake her up.

Unlike most mornings where Luna sluggishly came down stairs, she ran down quickly and located the older sister.

“What’s Sunset Shimmer’s address?” Luna asked, a slightly panicked expression on her face.

“Why? Did something happen?” Celestia asked, starting to sound concerned herself.

“What? No.” Luna shook her head, “I just have this feeling that it’s not where she says she lives.”

“OK?” Celestia was still confused.

“I woke up thinking about it and I remembered that legally, people cannot rent an apartment or room to anyone under the age of sixteen without parental consent.” Luna explained.

“But Sunset’s been in this world since she was 10.” Celestia started to click the pieces in place, “And she wouldn’t have had any ID when she came here.”

“So,” Luna looked at her sister, “Where has she been staying?”

“I highly doubt she moved from where she’s been staying. Actually, I think she’s still fifteen.” Celestia said out loud, “and we know she lives alone…or does she?”

“We need to investigate.” Luna said finally.

“Agreed, go get some clothes on. We can stop for coffee before we go.”

“And a jalapeno and cheese bagel?” Luna squinted her eyes in mock suspicion.

Celestia rolled her eyes, “Yes, that too.”

Luna ran upstairs to get ready while Celestia pulled on her shoes and jacket, having already gotten dressed for the day. Just as she was doing up her jacket buttons, Luna came bounding down the stairs, throwing on her sneakers and jacket before grabbing the keys and threw them at her sister.

“You’re driving!” the dark-haired woman said before walking out the door, followed by her sister who rolled her eyes.

They drove in silence to Sugar Cube Corner, getting out of the car upon arrival.

“Good afternoon Mrs. Cake.” Celestia greeted, “How is your day going?”

“Wonderful, thank you.” The pink and blue woman smiled. “What can I get you two this morning?”

“Just orange pekoe for me, please.” Celestia said.

Luna leaned on the counter to stare into the woman’s soul, “The bagel king and a coffee, please.”

Mrs. Cake giggled, “You never change Luna. You eating in?”

“Sure, we have time.” Celestia said. It’s not like Sunset’s going anywhere.

“Coming right up.” The woman said.

Celestia and Luna sat at their usual table until Mrs. Cake brought their drinks and Luna’s ‘King bagel.’”

“So, what are you ladies planning today?” asked Mrs. Cake.

“We are going to see what Sunset Shimmer’s living situation is.” Luna said frankly.

“Oh?” Mrs. Cake questioned.

Celestia shot her sister a look, “Yes, her parents are never in town. We are concerned that she isn’t getting the attention she needs.”

Mrs. Cake placed a finger to her cheek, “Sunset was actually just in here yesterday. She was meeting with Pinkie Pie and her friends.”

“Oh?” Luna asked, “That’s…odd. She’s been avoiding them all week.”

Mrs. Cake continued, “Apparently, it was Sunset’s Idea. She apologized to all five of them. After that, they were here for hours just talking as if nothing had happened.”

“Really...” Celestia said thoughtfully, “I’m happy that she’s finally letting them in. Those girls have been trying to befriend her all week. Especially after two of my students beat her.”

“Yes, I saw the bruise.” Mrs. Cake frowned, “She acted as if it were nothing. Sunset reminds me of you two, bullies with a heart of gold. That does concern me though. I’ve seen the same thing happen before.”

“Yes,” Luna said, “It seems that way. Tia and I are keeping an eye on the situation. It doesn’t help not having anyone to support her at home though.”

“Yes,” Celestia added, “I honestly don’t trust that girl to be alone with her own thoughts at a time like this.”

“Well, I’m glad she’s got you two looking out for her well-being.” Mrs. Cake smiled, “And it seems like she’s got five new friends to support her as well.”

It was silent for a couple moments before Mrs. Cake excused herself, waving a goodbye to the educators.

“We should get going.” Luna said as she finished her bagel.

Celestia nodded her agreement and they hopped into the car, punching in the address from Sunset’s student file into the GPS then pulling out of the parking lot.

***

They pulled up to a dingy looking apartment building set between a pizza delivery joint and a cluster of abandoned buildings. They both got out of the car and entered the apartment. As expected, it was pretty unsanitary but they both knew that it was probably dirt cheap, well within a highschooler’s budget.

They climbed the stairs to the third floor and searched for the number on the door. Once they found it, Celestia knocked then stepped back to stand with her sister.

A young man, most likely a college student, opened the door, “Uh, can I help you?”

“Yes,” Celestia replied, “Do you know a Sunset Shimmer?”

“No, can’t say I do.” The man replied.

The lightly colored woman sighed, “Yes, that’s what I thought. Thank you for your time.”

He smiled, “Sorry I can’t help you. Now if you excuse me, I have to study for my exams. Have a nice rest of your day.”

The boy shut the door and the two educators started back down the stairs.

“Just as we thought.” Luna said solemnly, “What now?”

“Well, I guess I will have to talk to her tomorrow.” Celestia said.

“Unless…” Luna said as they exited the building.

“Unless what?”

“I have a hunch.” Luna said, “If she faked her address, and if she’s anything like the two of us, she’d want to know if someone was looking for her. So, she’d want to be close enough to see but far enough that she could make a quick escape.”

“You watch too many movies.” Celestia said, “But it’s all we have.”

Luna shrugged, “Besides, I’ve been to this particular cluster before.”

Celestia followed her sister around the building into the alleyway and started passing by the abandoned buildings. That’s when they saw something peculiar, a long extension cord hanging out of a third story building. It was difficult to see because The wall had some pretty impressive graffiti that covered most of the cord as well. They followed the cord to see it was plugged into the back of the pizza joint, mostly hidden by a big blue garbage bin.

They walked back to the graffitied wall and looked up to see a fire escape attached to the side of the building. Standing back a bit, they could see a desk with an unmistakable mane of red and yellow hair.

“Oh, Sunset.” Celestia gasped quietly.

Luna saw the look in her sister’s eyes so she lead her older sibling to car, this time hopping into the driver’s seat and starting the car.

“Luna, we can’t just leave her there!” Celestia protested.

“I am aware of that sister, but what do you suppose we do about it?” Luna asked, “We can’t force her to do anything about it. We’ve both seen how stubborn she is, do you really think she will go forcefully if we just went up there? Besides, she’s been there since she came here six years ago, I’m pretty sure she’s fine there for now.”

“It still doesn’t feel right.” Celestia pouted.

“Yes, I know.” Luna pulled over into a random parking lot, “The only way we can help right now is to provide the adult support she needs, in school.” She sighed, “Don’t get me wrong, Tia, I want to help her too but the truth is, we know nothing about her.”

“Then let’s get to know her.” Celestia said, “And you’re right, she’s survived this long on her own.”

“Right.” Luna nodded, starting the car again, “Tomorrow, we can talk with her.”

“Right.”

With that said and done, they returned home to enjoy the rest of their evening, though their thoughts never strayed too far from the flame haired girl.

PreviousChapters Next