• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 14,020 Views, 993 Comments

Scars of Our Past - JWolfSilver



After the events of the fall formal Sunset is alone and most of the school against her. Will she accept her new friendships are real and will she realize that there is someone who wants to make her family?

  • ...
16
 993
 14,020

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 55: Enter: Twilight Sparkle

Sunset was almost thankful when Celestia texted her to let her know they had to take care of some last-minute details for the battle of the bands party later in the afternoon. It just meant Sunset wouldn’t have to deal with her hypnotized caregivers for at least a few hours.

The girls sat in front of the statue as they had been for hours, taking turns running out for food, drinks and some sort of entertainment. Sunset however, read through her old messages to Princess Celestia. With each page, the regret weighed heavy in her chest. She had no intention of moving back to Equestria any time soon but she hated how she had come to leave it. Sunset would do anything to apologize to her old mentor.

“I’m starting to think she’s not coming.” Rainbow said.

As if on cue, Sunset could feel a shift in energy and, before she could react, none other than Twilight Sparkle flew from the portal, closely followed by Spike.

Sunset was the first to react, immediately going over to help the newly turned human to her feet. It was awkward at first as Twilight eyed her suspiciously. Sunset couldn’t really blame her but it still stung a bit.

She flashed Twilight a smile and, eventually, the Princess returned it and took her hand. It was then that her friends bounded towards them and Sunset stepped out of the way, not really feeling comfortable hugging the purple girl. She and Twilight were more acquaintances than friends.

“I have some bad news about those new girls.” Twilight said.

“I was afraid you would say that.” Fluttershy said, cowering behind Rainbow.

“Sunset was right.” Twilight explained, “They are definitely creatures from Equestria.”

“Are they ponies like you?” Applejack asked.

Twilight shook her head, “They are creatures known as the Sirens. They feed off negative emotions to retain their dark magic. Their voices trigger negative emotions. That’s why everyone began fighting with each other.”

Rarity nodded, “That explains why Applejack and I have had problems with our sisters and Sunset with Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna.”

“Exactly!” Twilight said then gave them a confused look, “What does Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna have to do with Sunset? Are you in trouble?”

Sunset waved it off, “No, it’s just a long story and not really important right now.”

“Yeah! We need a game plan.” Rainbow said.

“Let’s go to Sugarcube Corner!” Pinkie suggested, “We can relax and catch up!”

The girls collectively agreed and opted to walk there to save gas. Besides, they were happy that all the snow melted and wanted to revel in the cool breeze.

Sunset tried to get out of it to go home but Rarity and Fluttershy wouldn’t let her, not wanting her to be alone, especially if Luna and Celestia came back while she was there. So, Sunset stayed at the back of the group, now feeling awkward around Twilight and overall, a lot like an outsider.

Spike stayed between Rarity and Fluttershy, occasionally looking back at Sunset.

At Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie paid for the drinks and they discussed the game plan. Twilight had decided that the party later that night would be the best place to take care of the Sirens.

Sunset was relieved that all this would be over soon. However, her demon’s words still echoed in her mind, ‘They will fail. They need you.’ Sunset shook her head, No, they don’t need me. They’ve got this.

***

At the party, Sunset actively avoided Celestia and Luna, sticking close to her friends and the snack table. Everyone outside of the seven girls were arguing with each other.

Then, the three Sirens entered the gym.

When Sunset saw the smug grins on their faces, she felt a whirlwind of anger and disgust. It was like looking into a mirror over four months ago. However, it was time for the girls to move in and stop whatever it was they were planning.

That’s when everything fell apart. When Twilight and the girls joined hands in an effort to take them down nothing happened. The Sirens played it off, turning the school against the people trying to help.

Sunset went to the door and waved her friends over and lead them out to the school yard. They all slumped onto the steps save for Twilight who paced in front of them, rambling off about how their magic didn’t work.

Eventually, Twilight’s rambling made it full circle and it was clear that if they let her continue, she would have a panic attack.

“Twilight, stop. Just, stop.” Sunset said, “Take a breath and think. To defeat me, you drew magic from the crown I was wearing. You used the same magic. What if you used their magic against them?” It was then Sunset lost her courage and slouched, “Or, not.”

“No, I think you’re onto something.” Twilight said.

Sunset couldn’t help but smile, “Really?”

Twilight nodded, “It’s through music that you transform now, right? Maybe we can use a musical counter spell to defeat them!” She grew more and more excited as she continued.

“The band competition.” Rarity said in realization, “It’s the next time we can be sure everyone will be in the same place at the same time.”

“I guess the Rainbooms are the band to beat.” Applejack said.

Rarity smiled, “And I think you, Twilight, just became our newest member.”

Everyone cheered and ran up to give Twilight an excited hug.

Sunset frowned, I guess no one would want to watch them if I was up there anyway. She sighed, Besides, I can’t be trusted with magic and I can’t get through half a song before I start to glow.

It was decided that Twilight would temporarily be the lead singer and she would work on the counter spell. When she started heading into the school, Pinkie immediately protested, calling for an emergency slumber party.

They all loaded into Pinkie and Rarity’s vehicles, Sunset, Rarity and Fluttershy in one vehicle and the rest in Pinkie’s.

As they were driving, Rarity frowned, “Why didn’t you want to tell Twilight about your living situation?”

“It’s not that I didn’t want to tell her, it’s just…weird.” Sunset said, “Twilight and I are acquaintances at best. I don’t see how she would care about where I’m living.”

“Of course, she cares.” Fluttershy said, “On our way back to the school, she asked Rarity if you were safe.”

Sunset shrugged, “I don’t know, I just. Last time she was here, it was because I committed treason. Trying to kill her isn’t exactly the start to a great relationship.”

“We know that wasn’t you, Sunset.” Rarity said, “And Principal Celestia confirmed that Twilight knows that too.”

Sunset sighed, “I guess.” She began to think about the counter spell, “Hey, Fluttershy?”

“What is it?” Fluttershy questioned.

After a second thought, Sunset shook her head, “Never mind.”

A few moments later, they pulled into Pinkie’s driveway and Sunset sent a text off to Celestia then, sent one off to Chrys, explaining the situation and hoping she could help if things got worse.

The girls filed into Pinkie’s house and, since it was already getting late, they immediately changed into pajamas. Fluttershy lent Twilight her note book and the purple girl immediately got to work on the counter spell.

What if it wasn’t the spell that’s important? Sunset thought, watching Twilight struggle with her work.

“Sunset?” Rarity asked.

Sunset shifted her attention to her friend, “What’s up?”

“Why don’t you call Chrysalis?” she suggested, “I know she’s their friend and you need to talk to someone about what you’re not telling us.”

It’s true. Sunset had yet to tell her friends about her pending adoption but it was because of things like Sirens that stopped her. There was always something.

“I texted her.” Sunset said, “But I think she’ll be in the same boat as me.”

“Pizza’s here!” Pinkie yelled as the doorbell rang.

Without another word, the girls ran down stairs for Pizza.

***

Later in the night, everyone was relaxing, watching a movie in the living room when Sunset felt a tap on her shoulder. She looked up and was almost surprised to see Twilight looking down at her.

“Twilight?” She whispered, “What’s up?”

She rubbed her neck nervously, “Do you mind if we talk for a minute?”

Sunset furrowed her brows but nodded, following her into the hallway.

“You’re not going to yell at me, are you?” Sunset asked, only half joking.

“What?” Twilight exclaimed, “No! I just wanted to see how you were doing.”

“Oh.” Sunset chewed her lip, “The last couple days haven’t been all that great but, everything’s fine, yeah.”

“No lasting effects of the magic we hit you with?” Twilight asked.

“Other than a well needed attitude adjustment, not really.” She smirked slightly, leaving out the scars on her back “I had nightmares for the first month or so, but they’re pretty much gone now.”

“That’s actually great to hear.” Twilight sighed in relief, “I hated leaving so soon after that, I was worried about you.”

She was worried?

“Really, I’m fine.” Sunset assured her, “Everything worked itself out.”

Twilight giggled as Rarity entered the hallway, “It’s good to see you didn't die or anything.”

Sunset paled and Rarity froze in her path to the bathroom.

“That was a joke.” Twilight said after seeing her reaction, thinking her joke didn’t quite get across.

Sunset absently traced the scar at the side of her head.

“What?” Twilight said.

“Technicalities dear.” Rarity said.

Sunset sighed, “Well, there was this…incident a couple months ago and we’re all still a little touchy about it.”

“Incident is putting it lightly.” Rarity said.

“What happened?” Twilight asked in a concerned tone.

“There was this huge earthquake a couple months ago.” Sunset explained, “And the building I was living in was really old. It kind a…collapsed.”

“Yes, with Sunset still inside.” Rarity said, “She legally died.”

“Twice.” Sunset concluded.

“You died!” Twilight almost yelled.

“Technically.” Sunset corrected, “I’m fine though. I got lucky. Full recovery, I only have a couple scars on my leg and right here.” She pointed to her head, “Still a touchy subject.”

“And don’t bring it up to Vice-Principal Luna or Principal Celestia.” Rarity said.

“You mentioned them before.” Twilight said, natural curiosity showing, she turned to Sunset, “What happened between all of you?”

Sunset went on to explain what had happened to her since she left, Rarity filling in the blanks as she went. When they were done, Twilight had a face that was an ugly concoction of relief, amazement, shock and everything in between.

“That’s amazing.” Twilight said, “It’s something you only read about in books.”

Sunset chuckled, “Yeah I’ve thought the same thing.”

Without any warning, Sunset was tackled with a hug from Twilight.

“I’m really happy for you.” Twilight said after pulling away, “And I promise, we’ll get them back.”

***

That night, after another heart to heart with Twilight in the kitchen, Sunset was paid another visit by her demon.

“Why did you try to help me?” Sunset asked, “Honestly.”

“I’m a part of you.” The demon said, “I am just your feelings, senses, everything, amplified. I know what you think, deep down, when you can’t see it. I’m you. You’re me. We will always want the same thing. You know what they need. You know it has nothing to do with what song they sing but they haven’t figured it out yet.”

Sunset just stared at her demon.

“I know that you are scared of magic because of what it turned you into.” It said.

Sunset clenched her jaw, “So you’re even more terrified than I am.”

“That may be, but are you willing to lose your family because of your childish fear?”

“I’m a risk to my friends and family.” Sunset said stubbornly.

“You will have to make the choice.” Was the last thing the demon said before she was graced with that same, nightmare scene from the previous night.

Author's Note:

Just had an awesome day with my best friend and since I just got back (1 am) I guess it's time for another chapter!

A lot of you, through the duration of this story have been asking me 'Are you going to do Anon-A-Miss?'. Well, I am now going to answer that question.

The answer to that is no. I am, however going to explain why. For one, the building drop was what i replaced Anon with back in chapter 26. I honestly don't think Sunset deserved to go through that after the building issue. I honestly don't think that after everything that happened, the girls would turn on Sunset. They defended her to Trixie when Sunset was in a coma, Rainbow was prepared to fight Gilda for her and after the Battle of the bands, it doesn't make much sense for everyone to turn on her again. That is my logical reasoning.

My personal reasoning is that I just don't like or even get it. You see how torn up Sunset was, how she took being hated again, logically SOMEONE would figure out that she didn't do it. Especially if she was that hurt by being hated and pushed away by her friends, why, if she did do it, would she keep posting? No one would. It WAS Sunset who did it, she would have looked a lot more confidant and a lot less hurt by the whole situation. I'm sorry but, I think that Anon-A-Miss, in the end, would hurt Sunset a lot more than anyone else in CHS. But that's just my personal opinion on it.

See ya tomorrow!

PreviousChapters Next