• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 14,037 Views, 993 Comments

Scars of Our Past - JWolfSilver



After the events of the fall formal Sunset is alone and most of the school against her. Will she accept her new friendships are real and will she realize that there is someone who wants to make her family?

  • ...
16
 993
 14,037

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 19: Pieces in Play

Sunset walked into the front office, unsure of what she was going to tell Principal Celestia, or more to the point, ask a request no sane person would ever ask of their high school principal. However, it was something she knew she needed to do. Part of it yes, was already a part of the deal they made after the formal, secondly, she felt it was necessary, but otherwise unrelated. Principal Celestia, as of yet, is the only one she seemed to have irrefutable trust in.

Once the receptionist saw her, she waved Sunset to Celestia’s door and returned to her paper work. Sunset took a deep breath and knocked, then entered without waiting for an answer.

“Sunset,” Celestia smiled, moving her papers to the side, “I’m glad you could make it. How have you been? Has Trixie been bothering you?”

Sunset took a seat in front of the desk, setting her bag on the other chair beside her, “I’m fine I guess, Pinkie Pie is having a sleepover tomorrow night and I’m really nervous about it. I’ve never been to one, much less had any experience with Halloween or how to behave at one. Pinkie gave me a list of things I need but I’m not sure if I should bring anything else.” She took a deep breath, “Maybe I should just cancel.”

“You will do no such thing.” Celestia said with a commanding tone that almost made Sunset cower, “You’ve been through a lot in these past weeks and I do not want to see you sitting out when everyone else is having fun. You cannot avoid everything your friends want to do as a group”

And it gets you out of that old building for one night. Celestia thought to herself.

“I know,” Sunset sighed, “I haven’t really slept away from home before, not really. When I moved out of my parents’ house, I live in the castle, and when I came here, I lived where I am now. Moved homes, just never been away from it.”

“Tell you what,” Celestia suggested, “You have my personal number so if you feel anxious or just want to talk, just give me a call.”

“Really?” Sunset asked.

Celestia nodded.

After a moment of silence, Sunset snickered.

“What is it?” questioned Celestia.

“Nothing,” She giggled, “It just reminds me of those books where a kid calls their mom because their homesick.”

Celestia smiled, “Yes, I can see the similarities.” After another short silence, Celestia spoke, “So, I assume that was not what you came here for.”

Sunset flinched, “Oh, right. So, there is something important I needed to talk to you about but, it kind of breaches the student/teacher relationship.”

“What is it?” Celestia asked.

She took a folder out of her backpack. “I’ve been keeping these in my locker since last year but I’ve had a few close calls since then and I’m not sure that my luck will hold out forever. You can say no, I can find something but I don’t really know how safe they will be.”

Celestia raised her brow and walked around and leaned against her desk in front of Sunset then gestured for the folder. She scanned over the first two pages, “You know you can access these at any time, right?”

Sunset shook her head, “I can’t access my own government papers until I’m eighteen so I have to keep a physical copy. I just turned sixteen a couple weeks ago.”

The light-haired woman bit her lip in thought, “I would be more than happy to. I am glad you put so much trust in me.”

Sunset shrugged, “It’s nice having an…adult I can trust. It was a better than the second option.”

“What was the second option?” She asked curiously.

Sunset scratched the back of her neck nervously, “Guardianship.”

Celestia snorted, “Luna would kill me.”

They both laughed at this then continued on to lighter conversations. Celestia smiled at how animated Sunset became when she got talking about the song she was trying to write and whatever she was doing in math and art class. She had to admit, the girl had so much potential and talent she could go far but she doesn’t seem to acknowledge the passion she has for it.

Sunset was talking about the assignment she had gotten in art class the previous day that she had already finished when Celestia got curious.

“Do you happen to have a picture of it? I’d love to see what you’ve done.” Celestia requested.

Sunset blushed a little but pulled up the picture and excitedly handed it to Principal Celestia. It was at moments like these where Sunset forgets that they are at school and the woman in front of her is the Principal. Celestia didn’t mind though. It was nice because Sunset had taken down a lot of her walls for the hour entire out she ended up spending in the office.

Celestia took a look at the photo and was pleasantly surprised at what she was seeing; Sunset had painted a canvas to look like a stylized yellow and red sun but half of the board was darker than the other, more of a grey hue, with a glowing black and cyan eye near the top of right side. On the left, the sun was more vibrant with regular cyan eyes near the top. Celestia realized the eyes were Sunset’s own, her demon from the formal and the ones she has now. In the center of the picture was Sunset, a really good painting of her as well. On the right half, sunset bore the demonic, red bat wings. On the left, ones made of brilliant flame. Her eyes were closed, tears dripping from both eyes.

“The assignment was to illustrate who we are.” Sunset explained with a sad smile, “It’s who everyone else thinks I am and part of me I hate, but I refuse to let that part define me. I know it’s kind of deep for a school project. It’s how I get my thoughts out of my head, besides getting angry at everything.”

“Sunset, this looks amazing.” Celestia commented, still looking at the picture, “I had no idea you were so talented.”

Sunset blushed, “It’s really not that good.”

“I beg to differ.” Celestia argued, “Why have you never entered one of the school art competitions?”

“Because I was busy making everyone’s lives miserable.” She buried her head in her hands. “The old me was horrible”

Celestia lay a comforting hand on Sunset’s shoulder, “If it helps, this,” She handed Sunset her phone, “Is a much better use of your time and talents.”

Sunset smiled at the compliment, “Thanks.”

“Do you have any other drawings?” Celestia asked, “Other than the ones you did in class?”

Sunset shook her head, “Nope, other than the ones in the margins of my notes. I can’t really afford to buy anything but lined paper for notes.”

Celestia nodded and quickly changed the subject, Sunset, I would love to help you more than you think you need.

***

That evening, when Celestia returned home, she went straight to the study and put Sunset’s papers in her family’s safe and frowned.

“You had another meeting with Miss Shimmer today.” Luna stated.

Celestia turned to the door and saw her sister and Chrysalis standing in the doorway, “Yes, she asked me to hold on to her papers for her. She felt they weren’t safe with her.”

“Is that the girl who lives in that abandoned building?” Chrysalis asked.

Celestia shot Luna a glare.

“Come on sister, you know she won’t say anything.” Luna said, “Besides, Chrys has the means to stop children’s services from taking her.”

“Now,” Luna continued, “I’d like to say that I am surprised she trusted you, or any one for that matter with those papers. Don’t try to tell me she doesn’t know how valuable they are, Sunset Shimmer is one of our best students and she had to have done her homework to figure out how to get those.”

Celestia remained silent.

“If I may,” Chrysalis intervened, “Luna has told me of some of your conversations and in light of this new evidence, I think you care about her.”

“I care about all of my students.” Celestia protested.

“Tia, she destroyed the front of the school and ruled the entire student body with fear and, instead of expelling her, you let her shred her record of misconduct, had her make you her emergency contact and became her councilor.” Luna said.

“Not to mention you are holding her government papers for her.” Added Chrys.

“She needed help.” Celestia said adamantly, “And we discussed it together, Luna. I do believe you were the one who was relieved when I didn’t want to expel her.”

Luna nodded, “But I’m not the one who was ready to take her home after finding out her living situation.”

“Tia,” Chrys interjected, “I believe you have gotten rather…attached.” She smiled, “I think you need to figure out what you and Luna are going to do.” She looked at Luna who had her head down in thought and back to Celestia, then had a realization, “Or have you already decided?”

The sisters exchanged looks. Luna sighed, “We know what we want to do. It doesn’t mean Sunset will allow it.”

Celestia nodded, “She’s been completely on her own for six years. She had similar freedom since before then.”

“As we understand it,” Luna explained, “Sunset was a foster child and her parents weren’t a right fit so someone took her away and she stayed with them for a couple years before coming here after running away. The situation is complicated but there is no way she can go back to where she is from.”

Chrysalis nodded, “Well I guess all you can really do is try to figure out what she wants then approach her about it.”

The sisters nodded

“Let’s give it the end of next month, try to figure out what Sunset wants until then before we make a final decision.” Luna proposed.

“You know, I’m not sure if it’s wise to even give her a choice.” Celestia said.

“What do you mean?” Chrysalis asked.

“She’s still just a child.” Celestia began, “Sunset is smart, yes, but she’s alone. She needs someone to care for her so she can relax and just be a teenager.”

The other two women could see the pained look in Celestia’s eyes. It was obvious that she held a concern for Sunset that she hasn’t held for any student in the past. There was something almost…nurturing, in her gaze.

Chrysalis and Luna exchanged looks before Luna spoke, “You have the same look in your eye as mom does when she first met Chrys.”

“I’m glad you’re going to help her, Tia.” Chrysalis smiled, “It’s still going to take about a month to draw up the papers, I suggest you restrain yourself until then.”

Celestia nodded, “Thank you, Chrysalis.”

The dark-skinned woman smiled, “Now, back to decorating!”

Luna cheered and followed her out of the room.

Celestia sighed and shook her head but smiled not that there was a plan of action in place. It was going to be a long month.

***

Sunset was happy about how her meeting with Celestia went. It was like a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She knew very well that everything Principal Celestia was doing for her was rather unconventional and the fact that she agreed to hold the girl’s papers until she was eighteen was even more so. However, she appreciated every minute of it. It’s been a long time since she had anyone really.

Principal Celestia was Princess Celestia’s counterpart and that why Sunset was getting so attached. At least that’s what she told herself. The truth was, Principal Celestia was everything Princess Celestia was but also, everything she wasn’t. The Principal was the mentor she needed, the one she always wanted.

Sunset shook herself from her thoughts and looked over everything on her desk; sleeping bag, extra pillow, the extra toothbrush and toothpaste she picked up after work, extra change of clothes and the pajamas she really wore in the summer when her building wasn’t below freezing. Over on her cot was the parts to the costume Rarity had helped her pick out.

After going through her things and making sure she had everything, she shoved everything into her duffle bag and put her costume on the desk. She nodded in approval and headed to the bathroom so she could get ready for bed.

A few feet from the bathroom, Sunset felt an odd pressure under the floorboards. After another step, two of the boards cracked inwards and fell through the ceiling. Sunset’s leg fell through but she managed to catch herself by falling backwards.

She sat there, adrenaline pumping as she cautiously removed her leg from the now gaping hole in her floor.

This place really is falling apart. Sunset thought, I can’t stay here much longer. But where was she going to go? She was an under aged high schooler with no way to prove she has any parents. Sunset figured it was a problem for another time.

After she had calmed her heart rate, she went to take her freezing shower and went to bed, avoiding the hole in her floor.

PreviousChapters Next