• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 14,035 Views, 993 Comments

Scars of Our Past - JWolfSilver



After the events of the fall formal Sunset is alone and most of the school against her. Will she accept her new friendships are real and will she realize that there is someone who wants to make her family?

  • ...
16
 993
 14,035

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 33: Friendly Visitors

After another two days in the hospital, they finally allowed Sunset to get out of bed and, after much insistence from Luna and Sunset, Celestia finally agreed to go home in the evenings. The green skinned nurse helped her into a wheelchair, careful to avoid Sunset’s ribs. Sunset was shaky with her legs from the lack of use, it reminded her of how awkward they were when she first came to this world.

Sunset managed to take a shower alone with the help of a shower stool but with only one hand, it took her almost a full hour to clean herself. She was grateful, however, to be able to wear her pajamas opposed to the hospital gown.

She looked her right leg up and down; it was a mess. Large bruises and deep cuts were scattered around the skin. She could even see that a couple of them had stitches. Those are going to leave some nice scars.

When she was finished, she begrudgingly returned to her bed where the nurse re-bandaged her leg and head then left her alone. It was fine though, for the last couple days, she found herself sketching a lot in the book Celestia and Luna gave her. It got out all her pent-up frustrations that she didn’t know she had. Sunset was thoroughly enjoying herself and she was good at it. It was like a hidden talent she didn’t truly realize she had until now.

One thing she found herself drawing was her friends. She was thankful for photographic memory as she could remember what her friends looked like down to the tiniest of details.

Sunset was in the middle of drawing something when Celestia walked in with two teas from Starbucks.

“Please tell me one of those is for me.” Sunset said, eyeing the cups longingly.

“Of course.” Celestia smiled, handing her one, “I wasn’t sure what kind you would like so I took a guess.”

Sunset took a sip and smiled, “Chai latte.” She turned to Celestia, “It’s actually one of my favorites, thanks.”

The two sat in silence and drank their tea in silence, enjoying each other’s company. That was, until, there was a commotion coming from down the hall. It sounded like four or five people trying to talk over each other. The voices drew within regular hearing range and it made Sunset pause with the cup halfway to her mouth when she recognized them.

“Sunset? Is everything alright?” Celestia asked worriedly.

Sunset shook her head and smiled widely, “Yeah, I’m fine.”

There was a knock at the door, confusing Celestia until she too, heard the voices coming from outside.

She got up and opened the door, with a quick warning about Sunset’s ribs. Pinkie Pie was the first one in, hugging Sunset’s shoulders as to avoid her ribs but it still felt rather bone crushing.

“Sunset, we missed you so much!” Pinkie said, releasing her.

Fluttershy gave Sunset a longer but much gentler hug. “We’re so glad you’re alright. We were so worried about you.”

“We wanted to visit sooner but it wasn’t until this morning when V.P. Luna told us you could have visitors now.” Rainbow explained.

“I must say,” Rarity said, “For someone who…um…”

“Had a building dropped on them?” Sunset offered with a smile to let them know it was OK to talk about.

“Yes,” Rarity continued, “You look rather…for lack of a better word, fine.”

Sunset smiled, “That’s what they keep telling me.”

“So, what kind of injuries did you get?” Rainbow asked excitedly.

Fluttershy glared at her, “Have a little respect.”

Sunset lay her casted hand on Fluttershy’s shoulder, “It’s fine. I actually found it interesting as well.” She turned to Rainbow, “I got a really nasty concussion, the doctor is surprised that I don’t have permanent brain damage.” She gestured to the pad on her head, “It’s probably going to leave a scar. I also have a couple stitches on my right leg and some serious bruising. Then I have a broken wrist and four broken ribs.”

“Awesome!” Rainbow said excitedly then grabbed a sharpie out of Rarity’s bag, “Can we sign your cast?”

Sunset held in a chuckle as she nodded, holding out her left arm. One by one, each girl signed the cast. She never understood the custom of signing casts in either world but, it made Sunset happy to see her friends happy. Besides, she wouldn’t admit it out loud but she really missed them too.

They sat around and talked for a couple hours before they all had to get home, as it was a school night. Rarity and Fluttershy promised to be back the next day.

Once everyone was gone, Celestia and the doctor walked back in, though Sunset never noticed Celestia leaving.

“You’ve got some really good friends there.” He commented.

Sunset smiled, “And I may never know what I did to deserve them.”

The doctor chuckled then looked at his clipboard, “All of your vitals look good and your healing quite nicely.” He raised an eyebrow.

“What is it?” Celestia questioned.

He shook his head, “No, nothing’s wrong. It’s just… I’m confused.”

Sunset gave him a questioning look. Why? He’s a doctor. He should know this stuff, right? Sweet Celestia, what if my blood type come out different? Could they tell I’m not human from that?

“Well, a few days after waking up from a coma, I don’t usually see patients doing physics homework.” He explained, then chuckled, “You’ve just… bounced back. You do need to be careful of those ribs but other than that, I feel like I should just send you home.”

Sunset took a few moments to process before her thoughts of possibly being discovered vanished. “Wait, really?”

He shook his head, “I said I feel like I should, not that I was going to.”

Sunset frowned slightly.

He sighed looking to Celestia, “We’ll keep her here for another couple of days.” Celestia nodded and then he looked at the clip board. “I’ll order a C.A.T scan and X-ray in the morning. For now, though, sit tight.”

He waved as he left the room, leaving Celestia and Sunset alone.

“Do you have quick healing in your world?” Celestia asked curiously.

Sunset thought for a minute then shook her head, “No. In Equestria, ponies tend to heal at the same pace as humans. I’ve been hurt before, but I’ve never bounced back like this.”

Celestia hummed, “I guess that’s a question for another day.”

Sunset nodded then sighed, “I can’t just sit here anymore. I need to at least leave the room.” She chewed her lip nervously, “Uh… I don’t suppose…”

Celestia chuckled, “I’ll go talk to the nurse and tell her that we’re going for a walk.”

The younger girl beamed. “Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are seriously the best person in this world right now!”

She laughed at Sunset’s over dramatic comment. After she went to talk to the nurse, she helped Sunset into a wheelchair and grabbed their jackets, simply draping Sunset’s leather jacket over her shoulders.

It was cold, there was no doubt of that. It was mid-November so, in Canterlot, snow could come any day now. Sunset was never one for cold weather but at the moment, she relished in it. Being stuck in a stuffy hospital room for three days could make one appreciate the outside so much more.

“Oh, I forgot to tell you,” Celestia started, drawing Sunset’s attention, “There is a friend of mine coming to see you later.”

“Who’s that?” Sunset asked.

“Well, I guess, technically, she’s your social worker.”

“WHAT!?”

PreviousChapters Next