• Published 20th Feb 2018
  • 360 Views, 1 Comments

The Power of Dream - EtherCreation



The Princess of Night finds something peculiar, a dream far in the heavens. And in that dream was a boy, who had been inside a dream for such a long time. He wants to be free from his dream...except he can't.

  • ...
 1
 360

The Boy in the Looking Glass

Dreams...

Almost a second home to her. The Princess of the Night is the overseer of the abstract landscape that she calls her second home. In the horizon, bubbles of morphing color rise and fall across the landscape. Each one is a dream that a pony or non-pony conjures, and she fits her place as the watcher and caretaker of the hosts in these dreams. If one is troubled, she is there to set things right, if she deems it worthy of course.

Her ghostly form scours the world of bubbling dreams, eyes of cerulean blue prying through each dream with no effort. All seemed well, and so was the night she manifests. A beautiful array of pinprick lights that dimly kindle the sky in a beautiful haze of cosmic purple. Truly a wonderful night it was. Yet, it saddens her sometimes, that all the ponies having these dreams and none dare to stay awake any longer to gaze into the heavens. The night sky she poured her heart and soul into was being wasted every night by the snore and slumber of the dreamers.

Was it perhaps jealousy? She guessed these were the feelings that ail her, it clawed at her in desire to show them the wondrous canvas they missed. But there were daring individuals who would look into the sky with their telescopes or their bare eyes to capture the wonder her very creations into their memories. The few that did made her happy, that some of the world bathed themselves in awestruck and curiosities by watching the heavens above. But even still it was not enough. She yearned for more, hoping more would answer to the call of the night and watch above.

That is something she cannot control, the fatigue of ponies are fickle, and thus require rest. She cannot blame them for the need of sleep, but her only wish is for them to stay awake for a little longer and watch the night sky, even if for a minute or less.

'What? What is this?' she was taken back by the sudden realization of an anomaly. It was a dreamscape, but this one was FAR larger than what she sees at most times. Of course, some may be larger than others, but this...this nearly captures a fourth of the night sky!

What creature can manifest such a titanic dreamscape? The Princess of the Night must know! Temporarily leaving her flock of dreaming sheep, she ascends into the sky, approaching the anomaly dream as she kept her eyes locked on target. It was a minute straight in time before she finally could make contact, it signaled to her just how far yet how truly large this dreamscape was! Through her will, she passes through the outer layer, and descends towards the inner.


The landscape transforms from a chill night to a warm autum, a field of grass of orange, yellow, and red splatter like a bowl of simple soup. The breeze was cold but not unbearable, the sun seems to exist yet does not emit much light. It was as if the very world itself was glowing. There was no path, yet everything in the infinite landscape of autum season leads to a tree, where a little wood swing hangs from a hidden branch above the rope.

Luna was the contrast of this simplistic dream, the autumn combats against her cool blues and violets. Thus, she pops out. But there was another person that has been spotted by the princess, someone who was apparently on the swing. It seems the creature was male, the skin pale peach, the only sign of fur was the on its head. Even then it looked messy. So messy it covers the eyes, only it's...very short muzzle is visible. The clothes it wore were charcoal black, covering nearly all of his body except for the neck, hands and the head. There was little to reveal, as it apparently wears long but somewhat baggy clothing. Though the shirt did have one mark, more or less like strokes of a brush, cyan paint slashed into the clothing. Other than that marking, it was nearly plain.

Despite the fact that the hair blocks its eyes, Luna felt as if this creature was staring at her. Landing down on top of the soft autumn grass, the process continues to approach the creature. The biped does not make a move, nor an emotional gesture. Completely blank, it gives her the feeling of uncomfortable isolation; never supposed to be here in the first place.


I was in a dream for as long as I could try to remember. I did not know why I was here, just that I was. In fact, my name was forgotten, but a single word kept my identity, even if it was not my name, which truly felt like it a was a fake.

Dream.

That was a name that stuck to me, and I have been here for a very long time. Though that does not mean I do not enjoy it. I can do whatever I want here! Whatever I desired became a reality in this world, and the things I can create is beautiful. But of course, things can tend to be boring when one can do whatever they please. At this time, I was just thinking to myself, wondering who I am or...where I came from. This place felt fake, and I know there is a real place out there. I just have to...do something.

Well...that something did happen. It was out of my control, a new being has been manifested. I did not intend it to be created, it just came to be. Some kind of...horse? But it had wings and a horn, I never knew such things existed. What is this thing? I know the one with the horn is a unicorn, and a horse with wings is a pegasus, but...it has both! If I didn't manifest it, then that means it was not in my control. I was frozen in place, excited yet fearful. For the first time, things are not in my control. I cannot puppet this horse, and it was interesting! But it was also scary, what if this horse wanted to hurt me? Surely it won't...right?

This horse was female, and she seemed a bit fearful of me. Why? I guess...it might be cause I was so still. I have to move, at least greet her, this winged unicorn. Like a robot, I raised my hand and simply exposed my palm. I guess that is a greeting...right?


The biped waved back, it seems to smile a little while being nervous.

'I should introduce myself as well, and break the ice. Or so how they say it.' Luna suggests to herself.

"Greetings, my name is Luna; Princess of the Night. And what be your name?" Bowing her head respectfully to the bipedal being.

The creature did not speak, rather it seems mute. It could speak, but does not know how to. Manifesting a pen, it wrote in the air as glowing ink expels from the utensil. With the left hand, it wrote with a fine caricature, the blank face it wears ever present.

My name is Dream.

So it knows how to write, Luna mentally noted this. It knows how to write, therefore it understands what she is saying. The conversation would begin, they learn more about one another.

"Where did you come from?" Asked Luna.

I do not know. Wrote the biped.

"Are you a boy or girl?"

I am a boy.

"What are you? You do not seem to be from Equestria."

There was a pause from the boy, thenb writes again. I am a human.

A human? Luna pondered on that word. She has never heard about humans before. But soon, another voice interludes their conversation, which the princess knew very well.

Luna. It's time to awaken, I've already lifted the sun into the sky.

She does not have any more time for their conversation, bowing once again the princess excuses herself. "I am sorry, but it is time for me to attend to my royal duties. In due time I will see you again, farewell little one." Spreading her wings, the alicorn thrusts herself into the breeze and ascends into the sky, where she moves outside of the dreamscape, away from the boy in his little world.


"Lulu? Lulu..." Luna hears the voice of her sister, Celestia. She seemed to be waiting for her to open her eyes. Though she may be the greater favor of the two sisters, the ponies of Equestria still love Luna with equal reverence.

"Mmm.." Sighing as she opens her eyes, welcoming the light that fills her bedroom. "Yes? I am awake sister, do you need something?"

"It is well beyond morning, I saved some breakfast for you. But what took you so long in the dreamscape?" Celestia tilts her head in wait for an answer.

She has slept for that long? Must have forgotten the track of time. Nonetheless, she apologizes and explains to her sister. "I am sorry, but I have been caught up with a conversation in the dream realm. There was a dreamscape in the sky, occupied by...a human, at least by what he writes."

"Human?" The Princess was as confused as her own sibling. "I have never heard of such being. And a dreamscape in the sky?"

Luna nods with confirmation. "Yes, he does not seem to know where he came from. But he does seem to have knowledge, so he must have been educated. His dreamscape was big, it took a part of the sky!"

Celestia nods, comprehending this newfound information. Though as her younger sibling retrieves her breakfast through her magic, she would suggest a surprising act. "Might I ask, but when the night comes again, can I join you and see this human?"

Luna nearly gagged on her breakfast, this is surely an unusual offering! At times, her sister is often expended from her royal business. The fact she is desiring to see this for herself was something that took her aback. But Luna did not refuse, gulping down another chunk of waffle with blueberry and syrup. "Of course Tia. When I raise the moon for this night. Ahaha, why would you need to ask me to join in overseeing the dream realm?"

"I am not as perfect compared to you when in the dreamscape." Which flares Luna's pride. "Think of me as simply...part of the ride. I wish to see the human you wish of, as I have said." But Celestia turns to the door, apparently needing to leave for the sake of her royal business. "I'll be with you once I am finished with today's business. See you later Lulu." Opening the door with her magic, leaving, and closing it behind her.

This left the princess of the night by herself, with her thoughts. Her sister wishing to join in on her little discovery? Well, quite a nice touch! Perhaps if they can be friends with this human, especially of Luna. At times, the dream realm can be lonely. She may have her subjects, but the human can be just someone who can listen to her, a nice twist in the usual business of things. Luna smiled as she finishes her breakfast, heading out of her bedroom to attend to her duties in maintaining Equestria.

Comments ( 1 )

Seems interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it, see you around in the next chapter. :moustache:

Login or register to comment