• Published 15th Dec 2017
  • 14,078 Views, 779 Comments

Sunset Among Shadows - RedPegasus



Because of Anon-A-Miss Sunset is abandoned by everyone, so she decides to start a new life, among shadows, she will seek happiness, but what will happen with the magic of friendship?

  • ...
47
 779
 14,078

New Friendship Among Old Friendship

It's Friday, and the bell’s ringing signals the end of the school day and OF the week itself.

Flash Sentry quickly stores his books and notebooks and closes his locker. As he does, his bandmates Brawly Beats and Ringo jog up to him.

"Hey, Flash," greets Brawly.

"Oh, hey, guys," Flash returns.

"Hey, wanna practice?" asks Ringo. "I know we've been a little lazy lately, but you know..."

"We could use a bit of practice. Get our spirits up," finishes Brawly.

Flash gets a little nervous. "Oh, sorry, guys, but I, um… I have plans for today."

"Plans? Come on, man, what's more important than playing with your buds?" Ringo asks, surprised by the answer.

"I'm really sorry," the guitarist repeats. "But I've been looking forward to this, and... we'll practice tomorrow, I promise. See you tomorrow!"

With that, Flash turns around and runs off down the corridor. Both guys look at him for a moment, then exchange glances.

"It's a girl."

"Definitely."

*S*A*S*

Flash wastes no time in leaving school, bolting through the parking lot into his car. Seconds later, he was already gone.

The first thing he does when he gets home is to take a shower, quickly washing before jumping out and drying off. He rushes to his closet and yanks the doors open.

Flash is a boy. Clothes were not exactly a priority issue, but fortunately, he kept a few outfits that looked a little better than his casual clothes for special occasions. And, boy, was this a special occasion.

He pulls out a few shirts, a few undershirts, a few pairs of pants, and two light coats and spends the next five minutes rearranging them on his bed to find the look he liked the most. Finally, he finds one: a pair of black shoes and socks, warm but formal gray pants, a white shirt, a light blue sweater with his favorite lightning bolt symbol, and over it all, a black, synthetic-leather jacket.

After combing his hair, he checks himself out in the mirror. "It's not too much, right?" He adjusts the clothes, rolls his shoulders, and checks his hair. Walking away from his reflection, he takes a deep breath. "Damn. Why do I feel so nervous? I have to calm down. I don’t want to end up making a fool of myself." He checks himself in the mirror again. "Should I buy flowers...?"

His reflection gives no answer.

Something rings in his jacket hanging from his door. Quickly, Flash snatches the phone out of the jacket’s pocket and checks it. It’s his alarm.

"I'm late!"

Flash shoves the phone into his own pocket and dashes out of the room… only to dash back inside seconds later for his car keys.

*S*A*S*

Flash drives through the city at a slow but constant pace, carefully observing his directions. Finally, he gets to what looks like a café. He parallel parks out front and checks his phone.

-Brown Field.

Dumble Ave. and Dalf Rd.

4:30-

Flash looks up at the sign of the place. Sure enough, Brown Field.

Taking a deep breath, Flash takes one more look in the rearview mirror. He gets out of the vehicle and checks the time.

-4:15-

Despite his late departure, he had arrived a little ahead of time, much to his relief. He peers through the windows of the building, looking for someone.

"I wonder if she's already here," he thinks to himself. "Maybe I should wait for her out here."

The idea was not very tempting; the air is cold, and the wind is blowing rather strongly this afternoon.

"I can also wait for her inside. I don’t think she'll get upset if—"

Before finishing his thought, he manages to distinguish a red-and-yellow head of hair at a table at the back of the café.

He smiles broadly, checks his outfit one last time, and finally enters the place.
The first thing he notices is the aroma of coffee beans and the pleasant temperature of the place.

It is a fairly large venue, with many tables placed against the walls, lined with seats with very high backs. Several young people, and many not so young, are sitting around the place, drinking whatever warm drink suits their taste.

His gaze never leaves the table where Sunset sits. She takes a sip from her cup, and it is then that she realizes his presence. She smiles softly at him, and he does the same. She gestures for him to come closer, which he hurriedly does, keeping his calm smile, while his heart beats hard against his chest as he approaches.

“Why am I so nervous?” he thinks. “Come on, Flash. It’s Sunset. Get it together.”

When he is already very close, she greets him. "Thanks for coming, Flash."

"H-Hey, Sunset," greets Flash, containing his nervousness "It's good to see—Twilight?!"

He cuts his own sentence off, startled to see the girl sitting next to Sunset.

Twilight looks at the boy curiously. "Um... Hello?"

The height of the other patrons kept the girl hidden from the entrance. She looks curiously at his surprise.

"What are you doing here?” Flash asks. “Since when do you wear glasses?"

"Um, since ever?" she answers, confused by the question.

Flash looks across from the two girls, and his heart leaps into his throat yet again as he sees Sunset’s other guest. Sonata Dusk looks up when she notices Flash looking at her, waving happily at him in greeting.

Instantly, Flash takes a step back in horror. "Y-You’re...!"

Sunset bites her lip, and tries to smile. "Calm down, Flash. Everything is fine. Please sit down."

Unsure, Flash looks at Sunset, and then to the other two girls. The blue girl smiles and makes a gesture to sit next to her. Flash also notes a cup of coffee with cream sitting in that place.

After a moment of doubt, he sits at the table.

Sunset looks to the side for a moment, then tries to smile, nervous. "I took the liberty of ordering something for you. You still like decaf with cream, right?"

"Uh, yeah, thanks," he responds, still somewhat nervous, although now for reasons other than meeting Sunset.

Sunset clears her throat, trying to dispel the very tense atmosphere. "Well, um, I'll introduce you. Twilight, Sonata, this is Flash Sentry, a friend of mine from CHS. My only friend in CHS." The last sentence is a barely audible whisper.

Flash feels his heart skip a beat when he hears her call him a friend.

Both girls smile and greet the boy, and he greets them back, still confused.

Sunset follows the introductions. "Flash, this is Twilight Sparkle." She points to the girl with glasses. "You two don't know each other."

The comment gains a curious gaze from the scientist and a very confused from the guitarist.

"Uh... Of course... Yes..." Flash says, trying to regain his composure. "Uh, a pleasure to meet you, Twilight."

"The pleasure is mine, Flash," responds Twilight. "Sunset told me about you."

The boy felt his heart skip again. "Really?"

Twilight gets a little nervous. "Yeah. She told us about... the thing that happened at CHS… and she told me that you supported her when she needed it. That was very noble of you." She smiles at him.

That smile. Now, his heart was truly jumping.

"Heh... I just... I did... It's nothing, heh..." He tries to swallow his nervousness with a sip of his coffee.

Sunset talks again. "And this is Sonata Dusk. These two are my classmates at Crystal Prep."

It is then that he notices that the three of them are wearing the same uniform. Sunset notices her look and smiles with some regret. "Yeah, sorry that we came in uniform. We were…busy this afternoon, and we didn’t have time to go home to change."

"Oh, no, it's okay!" replies Flash. "The uniform looks good on you. I mean, it looks good on everyone. I mean, it just looks good! I mean... ugh..."

His attitude wins a couple of laughs from the three girls, and he cannot help but blush with embarrassment. He takes a sip of his coffee, turning his eyes away.

Trying to change the subject, he turns back to the blue-haired woman, who keeps smiling. "And, uh... I guess you and I don't know each other, either."

Sonata responds with her smile still present. "Well, I didn't know your name, but I remember you! You're the one crushing on Princess Twilight."

Twilight is curious about that. “What?"

"Don't worry about it," says Sunset.

The scientist’s curiosity is palpable. Almost as much as the boy's fear. "B-But then... you’re the si—"

"Calm down, Flash," says Sunset. "Everything’s alright."

"But she's—"

"Calm down. She won’t bite."

"Not unless you want me to," Sonata said. "I wouldn't mind; you're cute."

The look and her tone of voice the siren worry him, though the exact reason is debatable.

Sunset decides to change the subject. "Anyway, I'm glad the three of you could come."

Flash overcomes his fear, confused. "The three…"

Twilight says, "Well, you said you wanted to tell us something important."

"Yeah, well, it's important to me," answers Sunset. "I wanted to thank you for the help you’ve given me."

The three look curiously at the fire-haired girl, who blushes slightly. "Since... well... I changed schools, you three have helped me a lot. Flash, you were there to help me when I had no one else to call on. After... that fight and, well... you know, the other... I-I really appreciate it."

Flash blushes a bit himself, but he gives the girl a smile.

"Twilight," Sunset continues, "Without you, I wouldn’t have passed the exams, and I may have been expelled after the fight. Being with you makes me feel so much better at school."

Twilight smiles, and looks away, somewhat embarrassed.

"And Sonata…" The siren looks with an innocent, hopeful smile at the former equine.

Silence.

Sunset searches for something to say, finally sighing and saying, "I like you, Sonata." The siren’s smile widens, unfazed by Sunset’s pause. "Um, yeah, well, that's why I wanted you to come today. I wanted to thank you."

"Sunset, that's... cute," Twilight says, still smiling.

"Ooh, look. Sunsite’s turning red!" laughs Sonata.

"No, I’m not!" claims Sunset.

"Yeah, you are!" Sonata replies.

Sonata’s teasing just serves to darken Sunset’s blush, intensifying Sonata’s laughter and even drawing a giggle from the scientist.

Flash, however, seems a tad worried. "So... you asked us—the three of us—to come? Here? Today?"

Sunset looks curious. "Uh, yeah. Why?"

"Uh... No reason! It's nothing, heh heh..." Looking away, Flash takes a sip of his coffee as Sunset raises an eyebrow in confusion.

Twilight speaks up. "Well, Sunset, you don’t need to thank me. You... You’ve also helped me a lot, and... well... I don't even know what to say anymore."

"Sunsite, you're great! We love you," the blue-haired girl happily proclaims.

"I love you two, too," replies Sunset. "And you, Flash. You’re a great friend."

"Heh, you... You're also a great friend, Sunset."

The group shares a smile before Sunset speaks again. "Well, drink what you want today. It’s on me. Then, we can go and do something fun."

"Yay! I want tacos!" exclaims you-know-who.

"Uh, they don’t sell tacos here," says Twilight.

"... This place sucks."

Sunset chuckles a little. "Heh, we can go buy some later."

"Yay! Tacooooooooos!"

Sonata’s shout gets the attention of more than one of the other clients, but none of the teens pays attention, too busy laughing at the attitude of her blue-haired friend.

*S*A*S*

A few cups of coffee, some chocolate, and a few snacks later...

Sunset takes back her credit card and leaves the place to meet her three companions. "Well, where do you want to go now?"

"Let's do something fun!" Sonata proposes.

"Let’s go to the library," suggests Twilight. Everyone looks at the scientist, who looks away bashfully and says, "It’s fun for me..."

"That’s adorable, Twilight," Sunset says teasingly.

Twilight blushes as the rest share a laugh.

*S*A*S*

Sunset looks out the window of the car before turning and smiling at the driver. "Thanks for driving us. You didn’t have to."

"Well, I brought my car, so, you know…” Flash says. “It's easier than walking. Warmer, too."

Sonata leans forward a little. "I love cars! They’re so fun! Have any of you ever been in one?"

"I suspect we all have, Sonata," answers Sunset.

"I remember when cars were invented. They made such strange noises when they moved. It was like, 'plum plum clam clam pliiiiiiih'!"

Sunset and Flash chuckle at the siren’s imitation as Twilight raises an eyebrow. "What do you mean you remember when cars were invented?"

"And everyone wore such funny clothes,” Sonata continued, giggling. “Aria always hated those huge dresses. Oh! It was also around that time that Adagio had to pass herself off as a man! What was her name...? Oh, yeah! 'Sir Dazzlensen'!"

"Sir... What?"

"It's because it was impossible for a woman to have a high position back then. It was so funny to see her act like a man, especially whenever she had to hide her breasts!"

Sonata finally cuts herself off, falling into a fit of laughter. Twilight's curiosity only increases, and she looks at Sunset as if waiting for an explanation. Sunset just laughs nervously and shrugs at the almost accusatory look of the scientist.

"You are very strange sometimes."

*S*A*S*

Finally, they arrive at a destination: a striking music store with an attractive sign of colors, ornaments and neon lights illuminating the building’s façade.

Twilight hesitates a moment. "Um... More music?"

Sonata responds animatedly, as always, "Sure! We all love music, right?"

Twilight responds, "Um, no."

Sunset, too. "Meh, not so much."

Sonata ignores them. "Let's go in!"

The sliding doors open, allowing them to enter. The place is equally striking on the inside, with neon lights, posters of singers and shiny discs hanging on the ceiling and walls.

"Nice place," admits Sunset.

"Ugh, all this light’s killing me." Twilight touches her glasses a little. "I'll need to change these for sunglasses."

"Twilight!" Sunset exclaims, surprised.

"What?!" Twilight asks, startled.

"Did you just make a joke?"

"… Did I?"

Before Sunset could respond, they hear Sonata call, "Sunset, Twilight! Come here. You have to see this thing!"

When they turn around, they only manage to see her get lost among the CD shelves.

Twilight laughs a little. "Um, I think she's excited."

They hear the voice of Flash at the other end. "Check it out! This place is having a sale! I could use some extra strings."

Sunset laughs this time. "She's not the only one."

Twilight snickers with Sunset, which soon turns to a full, good-naturedly laugh.

*S*A*S*

The afternoon passes.

Sunset buys a couple of CDs as Flash buys his strings, and the two spend some time admiring some guitars placed in display cases around the store.

Sonata spends her time singing in what looks like a karaoke station, the other customers listening with great pleasure and applauding her after every song, which Sonata gladly accepts.

Even Twilight seems interested in some things, including instruments and posters, especially enjoying Sunset’s history lesson on some of the bands and songs. Finally, Sunset buys Twilight some CDs with mixes and melodies from keyboards to help her with her part in the band. Twilight happily, if embarrassedly, accepts.

*S*A*S*

After what felts like hours, they decide to leave, laughing and talking as they walk out.

Flash asks, "Well, where to next?"

"Tacos!"

The answer is so quick and determined that the others bark a laugh.

"I’m telling you, this place is great. And there’s a sale today,” says a voice in the distance.

Sunset's laughter dies instantly upon hearing that voice, and her brow furrows as she listens.

"We understand that, Rainbow," says another voice, "but why are you so eager? And why are you dragging us along?"

Sunset's gaze becomes extremely cold, and everyone's laughter ceases when they see her expression.

Flash becomes worried. "S-Sunset...?"

"We’re gonna buy new instruments!"

Soon, Flash hears the voices, too. He instantly looks in their direction, as do Twilight and Sonata, and spots a familiar group approaching.

*S*A*S*

Applejack asks tiredly, "New instruments? For what?"

"Duh! Ours suck now!" answers Rainbow. "We need new ones to keep playing."

Rarity says, downcast, "Honestly, Rainbow Dash, I don't have the courage to touch anything even remotely musical."

"Come on, girls!" the chromatic girl asserts. "I know... we've been pretty bad lately…"

“There’s an understatement,” Applejack says sarcastically.

"But I know we can pick up the pace and be the best band in the city again!"

Diane speaks up, her voice and words devoid of emotion. "There is no more band, Rainbow Dash."

"Pinkie, how long are you gonna be like this?"

"My name is Diane."

Rainbow ignores that and tries again. "Come on, girls, I know we can fix this. We just need to get some new equipment! You'll see."

*S*A*S*

The Rainbooms finally gets close enough to notice the Crystal Prep girls. The attention of both groups rests on Sunset.

"Sunset?" Applejack says.

Sunset doesn’t answer. Instead, she sighs from the nose, and her shoulders fall as if in defeat. "It was too perfect an afternoon," she mutters. "I should’ve known something would screw it up." Then, she speaks to her colleagues. "Let's go. I just want to go home."

Without bothering to wait for them, she begins to walk away. Her companions and former friends can only watch. And, again, the five friends feel that familiar pang of guilt.

The shy girl in the group looks away, full of regret, but in doing so, she cannot help but notice another familiar face.

"Twilight...?"

The name breaks her friends’ spell, and they look where Fluttershy is looking. Twilight herself turns around upon hearing her name, noticing everyone’s eyes on her. She shrinks into herself, uncomfortable at the sudden attention.

Rainbow looks over at Sunset’s other companions, noticing yet another familiar face in the Crystal Prep uniform. "You!"

Sonata jumps, realizing that the athlete is glaring at her.

"You..." Rainbow's voice drips with venom. She clenches her fists hard, her eyes blazing.

Sonata instantly becomes nervous and runs from the athlete. "Sunset! Wait for me!"

"Where do you think you're going?!"

To everyone's surprise, Rainbow races after the siren, easily overtaking her. Sonata screams as she is violently thrown against the wall and her vision is filled with the enraged face of the athlete.

"You! I should have known you were behind this!"

Sonata stares back, terrified. "Wh-What?"

"Free Sunset from your magic! Now!" orders Rainbow, furious.

Sonata’s scared look turns partly confused. "Free... What...?"

"Don't play dumb! You’re controlling Sunset’s mind!"

"What? No, I’m not! I can't do that stuff anymore!"

"Don’t lie to me! You're a monster! Leave her alone, or—"

She could not finish her sentence. Time seemed to slow as everyone saw Rainbow fall to the ground, the result of Sunset’s haymaker.

The prismatic girl falls to the ground, rubbing her rapidly swelling cheek as she looks up, seeing the most terrifying eyes she’s ever seen.

"Don't you dare touch her!" demands Sunset.

Her voice is as angry as her eyes, and the chromatic girl is frozen before the vision. She’s not the only one, though; Rainbow’s friends are also both surprised and frightened by the former equine.

"... S-Sunset..."

"If you touch her again, you're dead! Do you hear me?!"

Sunset was a demon once... in every way. But that did not compare to the cold and terrifying aura Sunset exuded now.

Flash and Twilight stare worriedly at Sunset. They had never seen her so angry.

Flash knew, perhaps better than anyone, the kind of person that Sunset was in Canterlot not long ago, but even he had never seen her like that.

And in Crystal Prep, Twilight had only seen Sunset as such a calm girl. Of course, she had stood up to those who bothered her and fought once against Lighting, but... this was not like that. She would never have expected the primal rage that Sunset showed now.

Sunset turns to the siren, her gaze softening but still serious. "Are you okay, Sonata?"

The siren does not speak, but nods. She looks nervous, scared. Sunset caresses the diva’s cheek, which seems to calm her a little.

Rainbow’s terror shifts to surprise at the sight, mirrored by the others.

Sunset was helping a siren...

Why…?

"... Sunset..." Rainbow whispers. The former equine turns to her, her gaze returning to that infernal fire. The chromatic girl shuts up, unable to continue talking.

Sunset ignores her and speaks to her friends. "Come on, Sonata, Twilight."

She gently takes Sonata’s arm and turns around. Sonata does not resist and follows Sunset closely. Very closely.

Twilight was still surprised, but soon runs to catch up to them.

Rainbow remains seated. "Sunset..."

"Sunset, wait!" The farmgirl runs forward and helps her athletic friend get up while calling to Sunset. "Sunset! That's one of the sirens!"

Sunset stops her walk, standing still for a moment. This allows Twilight to reach them. Both she and Sonata watch Sunset, worried. Finally, Sunset turns her head, looking at the blonde. "What are you trying to tell me?"

Applejack was so surprised at Sunset nonchalance that she lost her words for a bit. "Sunset... Ah understand... Ah understand that ya hate us... but... but ya can't walk with her! She's... She's a siren!"

"And I’m a pony. So, what?"

"Sunset..."

Rarity approaches a little and looks at her desperately. "Sunset, please think about what you’re doing! It's not safe for you to be with her!"

Sunset looks at them all with disinterest. "Why not?"

Rainbow recovers a little and answers the question. "Because she's one of those sirens! She’ll control your mind and make you do evil things, just like before!"

"Her name is Sonata,” Sunset snaps, “and if you’ll recall, the sirens never did anything to me."

Except for the confrontation she had with them in the hall, but that didn’t really count to Sunset.

"That doesn’t mean she won’t now! She's going to control you," repeats Rainbow, "and make you go back to what you were! Do you want that?!"

The accusations hurt the siren, which does not go unnoticed by Sunset. Sunset turns completely, glaring at everyone with a grave expression. "Guess what? There's a new Anon-a-Miss harassing me."

Everyone is, as Sunset expected, surprised.

"Somebody is making me look bad on the internet, spreading rumors and lies about me."

After saying that, Sunset is silent for a moment, and Twilight takes the opportunity to think about the situation.

Sunset was angry with those girls. That was more than clear. And by the way they all acted, it was not a superficial matter. This was something much more personal.

"Anon-a-Miss"... the incident that Sunset told them about. The reason why she had left Canterlot... A life destroyer that caused the whole school to turn against her...

Those girls were from Canterlot. They were schoolmates. No... It must be something... something more important than just schoolmates...

Sunset resumes talking. "I didn't care at first; it's not like I have anything else to lose now, or so I thought. When it started, Sonata was there for me. She supported me, she didn’t turn her back on me, she believes in me, and she wants to help me fix things."

Rainbow, Applejack and Rarity were speechless, unable to believe what they heard.

Fluttershy stays behind without saying anything, just looking at the ground with intense depression.

Diane just stares emotionlessly, her expression the same as it had been over the last week.

Sunset continues, "She doesn't manipulate me, and she hasn’t hurt me even by accident since we met. In fact, I felt better whenever she hung out with me."

Twilight assembles the pieces in her head. It was not difficult. Sunset's rancor was too deep, too personal. Those girls... they could only be...

Rainbow stares, unbelieving. "Sunset... are you saying...?"

Applejack is the same. "You’re sayin’... she’s—"

"My friend," Sunset interrupts, completing the farmer's sentence.

Again, time stops.

"Sonata is my friend. She’s a real friend, someone who believes in me and doesn’t turn her back on me."

The silence continues. Only the snow falling and some cars passing through the place are proof that the world is still moving, unlike Sunset’s former friends.

Finally, with the conversation over, Sunset takes the siren's hand, and they turn around, walking away. Twilight keeps her eyes on the five girls with a frown and an accusing look before she, too, walks away.

The Rainbooms are frozen in their place, only able to watch as the three girls get away.

Flash is the last one to retire, sharing a look with the five, a look of lamentation before following the Crystal Prep girls.

Sunset sees Flash approaching and watches him for a moment. "Are you coming with us?"

Flash just nods. There's no more talk as they leave the place.

*S*A*S*

A silence surrounds the four while they are in Flash’s car. It is not an uncomfortable silence, just a silence.

Twilight looks slightly over her shoulder, seeing Sunset and Sonata in the backseat. The latter has her eyes closed and her head resting on the shoulder of the former, who surrounds her with a protective arm.

Twilight smiles; it's a pretty adorable sight.

Sunset almost looked like a sister, or a mother taking care of her little girl. The thought caused Twilight to remember the times that Sunset had protected her at school.

"Sunset is truly a wonderful person," thinks the scientist. "I can’t imagine... who could believe her capable of something so bad." Her brow furrows at the memory of those five.

Flash keeps driving, unhappy about the whole situation. Eventually, he stops in front of a house. Sonata's house. "Here we are. This the place?"

The siren opens her eyes and turns to the house. "Yeah. Thanks for bringing me."

"No problem," the boy replies. "Seriously, I’m... I’m glad I could help."

"Heh heh, you're cute. Thanks. And... Sunset, thank you, too... for defending me back there."

Sunset just smiles at her. "Hey, that's what friends are for."

The siren’s eyes shine almost like stars as she throws herself in a bear hug at Sunset, who can only laugh at her attitude. "I love you!"the blue-haired one exclaims with great happiness.

Sunset smiles and stroke her blue hair. "I love you, too."

Sonata smiles at the caresses. They hold each other for a moment... and another... and another... and another...

Sunset, after a few moments, begins to get uncomfortable and tries to push the girl away. Although Sonata resists a bit, she finally separates, giggling as she smiles at everyone. "We have to do this again sometime!"

"If everyone else is cool with it," Sunset says.

"No problems here," seconds Flash.

Twilight just nods, and the siren beams.

Finally, she opens the door and says goodbye to everyone as she leaves the vehicle. "Oh! Flashine! You have to come to our band's concert next Friday! You'll love it! Byesies!"

The siren waves a final time before running to her house.

Confused, Flash sputters, "Concert? Band? 'Flashine'?"

The girls only laugh at his reaction.

*S*A*S*

The next stop is Twilight’s house.

"Um, thanks for bringing me," Twilight says.

"It's a pleasure, Twilight," the driver responds. "Um, it was good to meet you."

"Likewise. Sunset, see you on Monday."

"Not if I see you first, Twily."

Both giggle, and the scientist gets out of the car. The three share a last farewell, and Flash drives off.

Twilight gives a soft sigh and, smiling, walks inside her house.

*S*A*S*

The rest of the trip is silent until they reach Sunset’s apartment.

After parking, Sunset gets out of the car, as does Flash.

"Thanks for the ride," Sunset says.

"Was it better than the bus?" the boy comments jokingly.

"Definitely." They both laugh. "Thanks for coming, even though... you know. I'm sorry it didn't end all that well."

"Hey, it was fun. Twilight was a surprise, and Sonata was honestly not all that scary."

"It was weird for me at first, too, but I'm used to it now."

They smile and remain silent for a few seconds, until Flash speaks. "Well, I had fun. It was nice hanging out with you again."

"I feel the same. Honestly, I feel that I haven’t paid you back enough..."

"Hey, you don’t have to pay me anything. We're friends. Friends help each other."

Sunset smiled at him, a sincere smile. A smile that he had not seen for some time.

"Thanks, Flash. I'm happy to have you with me."

He smiles and blushes a little.

Sunset continues, "I’d invite you to come in, but it’ll be dark soon."

"Yeah. I guess... I'd better go."

She extends her hand, which surprises him a little, but he returns the handshake, and Sunset walks towards the building.

While watching her leave, a question pops in his head. "Sunset!"

She turns around.

Flash pauses, having trouble getting the words out. "... How... How’s... you know... How are things at Crystal Prep?"

The question surprises her a little, but she answers, "It’s alright. It's a school, and it has its problems, but nothing extraordinary."

"... Are you... happy there?"

Their eyes meet. Silence falls as Sunset considers the question. She seems thoughtful, maybe somewhat confused, about the question, and he waits for her response.

"... Yeah. Sure, I'm fine there," Sunset finally responds.

"... I... I see... That's good. I'm happy for you."

"... Flash?"

"If anyone deserves to be happy, it’s you, Sunset. I really... I'm very happy for you."

He gives her a sincere smile, but she doesn’t return it. Something about his response struck her as odd.

"Flash…"

"Well, um, call me if something happens, or if you want to, you know, go out and do something. I'm free whenever you want. For you, always."

He smiles at her and waves, then turns around and gets into his car. One last look, one last smile, and he’s gone.

Sunset stays in place for a while, watching the darkening street he drove down.

When she finally enters her apartment, she goes over those last few minutes in her head.

Happy…?

*S*A*S*

Flash keeps driving, his expression serious, focusing only on the steering wheel. But inside, his thoughts are a whirlwind.

"The school isn't the same without you, but... you're happy. That's all that matters."

*S*A*S*

The wind blows. The snow has already begun to fall, and the night begins to take possession of the sky.

Lightning Dust practices with her soccer ball in the dying sunlight, bouncing it on her knees, chest and head.

She looks down the abandoned lot, imagining a soccer field and goal. As the ball descends to the ground, she gives it a hard kick, sending it soaring down the lot. It crashes into a metal barrel with a clang, but all she hears is the swish of the net and the roar of the crowd.

The barrel falls over, spilling its contents: a kind of blackish powder.

Lightning pays it no attention as she walks to retrieve the ball, but when she bends to pick it up, she sees something out of the corner of her eye almost buried in the powder.

Curious, she picks it up, shakes the dust off, and examines it.

"What's this?"

Author's Note:

And here! which I hope will be one of the best chapters so far. I hope you liked it and thanks to everyone who is still here. I know that surely some will have lost interest but those who follow will be grateful for their comments, favorites and everything.

-

In the next chapter:

Sunset remains standing, in front of the entrance of the big shopping center of the city.

Take out her cell phone and watch the time on the screen. "She said at 11 o'clock, right?" Turn to the sides, as if looking for someone. "... well, it's the same, it's not like I have something better to do."

Subtracting importance to the matter she saves her phone and rests on a nearby wall.

A few minutes later she hears a familiar voice. "Yuju ~ Sunset ~!"

She turns in the direction of the voice, and sees Sunny Flare approaching in a hurry, waving her arm in greeting.

"Honey ~!"

Sunset gets up and soon they get together.

"I'm sorry for the delay dear, I hope you will not wait long."

"No, no, it's fine I only arrived a while ago." Sunset smiles at the girl.

"That calms me down. Well, we enter?"

"Sure, let's go."

To her surprise, Sunny Flare clings to her arm and smiles at her as they begin to walk.