• Published 15th Dec 2017
  • 14,051 Views, 779 Comments

Sunset Among Shadows - RedPegasus



Because of Anon-A-Miss Sunset is abandoned by everyone, so she decides to start a new life, among shadows, she will seek happiness, but what will happen with the magic of friendship?

  • ...
47
 779
 14,051

A New Friend, Maybe...

That day, to everyone’s surprise and delight, the sun shone bright in the sky. The gloomy clouds had mostly retreated, allowing the golden star to reign again. The winter wind was still present, but the sun on high allowed the day to be much less cold than it had been over the last few days.

Sunset stands in front of the entrance of Canterlot City Mall, looking around for someone. She dressed in her boots, black trousers, a wool shirt with long white sleeves, and her signature leather jacket. Her clothes were still warm, but, taking advantage of the good weather, she allowed herself to return to more comfortable and familiar outfits.

She takes out her cell phone and checks the time yet again. "She said eleven o'clock, right?" Sunset mumbles to herself. "... Well, whatever. It's not like I have other plans."

With that thought, Sunset stows her phone and leans against the wall.

A few minutes later, she hears a familiar voice.

"Yoohoo~! Sunset~!" Sunset turns in the direction of the voice and sees Sunny Flare approaching in a hurry, waving her arm in greeting. "Honey~!"

Sunset gets up, and soon, they get together.

"I'm sorry for the delaym dear. I hope you weren’t waiting long."

"No, no, it's fine. I only arrived a little while ago." Sunset smiles at the girl.

"That’s a relief. Well, shall we enter?"

"Sure, let's go."

To Sunset’s surprise, Sunny Flare clings to her arm and smiles at her as they begin to walk.

Unbeknownst to the pair, there are two pairs of eyes observing them closely through binoculars.

Hidden among some bushes in the parking area, a pair of cherry eyes and a pair of amethyst eyes, magnified by the lenses, keep vigil over the fire-haired girl and her current companion.

The amethyst eyes suddenly turn to cherry eyes. "Hey, Sonata."

"Shhh, be quiet, Twilight," answers the cherry eyes. "They could hear us."

"There are at least twenty meters between them and us," Twilight says, turning towards the front briefly before turning back to Sonata. "I doubt they’ll hear us. Anyway, why are we spying on them?"

"Well, obviously, we have to see how well Sunset is doing on her date."

"Umm, I don't know if this is a date, and why should we?"

Sonata squints her eyes into a look of determination. "Duh, we have to make sure her date goes well and see if Sunny Flare is a good match for Sunset."

"I still don’t think it's a date,” Twilight says, “and even if it were, I don't think it's any of our business. It's a personal matter."

The cherry eyes turn toward the amethyst. "Exactly!" They peer back through the binoculars. "And as Sunset's friends, it is our duty to interfere in her personal life and help her, whether she wants it or not."

"How does that make sense?"

Sonata glances back at Twilight incredulously. "Don’t you know anything about friendship?"

Amethyst eyes look sadly in another direction. "Um... I..."

Cherry eyes look away, ashamed. "Oh, right... Sorry." Sonata’s determined look returns. "Anyway, as friends of Sunset, we should spy on her and help her date be successful and make sure that Sunny Flare’s super-jealous gangster ex-boyfriend can’t get between them!"

"… Where did you get that?"

"I saw it on TV. Now let's go; we can’t lose sight of them!"

The two pairs of binoculars retreat into the bush... and then, the bush itself rises from the ground with two pairs of legs, which slowly move towards the mall.

*S*A*S*

As one would expect, the mall is truly large, a full three stories high with shops, stalls and businesses as far as the eye can see. On top of that, it's Saturday, so the place is jam-packed with people.

Sunset and Sunny walk through the place, the latter still clinging to the former’s arm. They give a fleeting glance to the stores, but nothing seems to really attract their attention.

"I'm glad you accepted my invitation, Sunset."

"Heh, yeah, well, I didn’t have any plans for today anyway, so... Although, I was surprised when you called me. How’d you get my number?"

"It's on your school profile as a contact number. I just asked Sour Sweet."

"Oh."

"But no more talk. Let's have fun. Where would you like to go?"

"Oh, I don’t know. I mean, you're the one you wanted to come. You said you wanted to buy something."

"Well, it's more of a pleasure trip, but if I see something that I like, I'll buy it."

"Then you decide where to go," Sunset says.

"Oh, don’t cut yourself out, dear; we're here together, we should enjoy the day equally."

"I have no problem, really."

Sunny just keeps her smile.

*S*A*S*

To no surprise from Sunset, the first stop was a clothing store. Sunny Flare moves between the corridors formed by the racks around the place. Despite being winter, she does not show much interest in coats, instead looking more interested in dresses and accessories.

At one point, she tells Sunset that she’ll be in the changing rooms, and Sunset just nods.

Sunset had never had a special interest in clothes. In Equestria, the ponies almost never wear clothes, using them almost exclusively for elegance, and only the ponies of high lineage use them regularly.

Sunset never cared about those things, even in her youth. She did not see herself needing something as useless as clothes to see herself or be seen as superior.

Of course, as she arrived in this world, and saw her new body, it did not take her long to realize the differences. Unlike the ponies, beings in this world had a much more... exposed anatomy, and clothing was practically a necessity of privacy and protection from the elements. For that reason, she forced herself to get used to them.

Of course, many people here continued to see clothing as a show of high social class and similar things, but she still saw it as almost banal.

But even if she did not have a fascination, her vain side still liked to dress and look good. It kept people’s attention on her.

So, to pass the time, Sunset took the opportunity to look at some outfits that could serve her, though in the end, little comes to her attention; she already had practically everything she could need in her house.

Sunset selects a pair of wool socks and a cloth sweater. "I could use a couple of extra coats," she thinks to herself. "They say this winter’s gonna be unusually cold."

After looking a little further, she finds something that catches her attention: a white, leather jacket, hanging on a wall hanger. With some interest, she walks over to see it better.

It is not very different from her own, though it was thicker. It seemed a good option to fight the cold. White, turquoise rings surround the arms above the elbows, and silver buttons and folded and seamed cuffs serve as adornment.

Overall, it’s pretty, and it looks warm. Almost doubtfully, she approaches a mirror, leaving aside the other clothes she chose, taking off her jacket and leaving it with them. Finally, almost hesitantly, she puts on the white jacket.

It was her size, fortunately. She looks in the mirror, turning a little to see herself better. "It's a little weird."

"Honey," comes Sunny Flare's voice.

Sunset turns and sees the girl in front of the changing room, wearing a magenta evening dress, cinched at the waist with a low, V-cut neckline, short sleeves, and cutouts on the side.

Sunny observes herself and her reflection before looking Sunset. "What do you think? Is it too daring?"

Sunset waits a few seconds to answer. "It depends on the situation, I guess."

"Hm, good answer. Oh, did you also find something you like?" says Sunny when she sees the white jacket.

Sunset looks down at the jacket. "Um... Not really. I mean... I think... it's not exactly my style."

"I think you look charming."

Sunset checks herself once more in the mirror, then removes her jacket, replacing it with her own. "I don't think it's going with me, but thanks. You look good, too; the magenta looks good to you."

Sunny smiles almost with pride and returns to checking herself in the mirror, smiling at herself.

*S*A*S*

Both girls walk again through the mall, Sunset carrying a bag from the clothing store. Behind, two people follow them, dressed in brown raincoats with dark hats and sunglasses.

"I still think it's wrong that we're spying on Sunset," whispers one of the followers.

"Of course, it’s wrong, but it's for her own good!" the other responds.

"And why’d we buy these raincoats?"

"Duh! To be less conspicuous."

"I think we’re even more conspicuous now," Twilight comments as she looks around, the nearby passers-by giving them odd looks. "Can’t we just take them off?"

"No. We can't risk having Sunset recognize us."

"Wouldn’t it be better—"

"Shh! It looks like they're going somewhere else."

*S*A*S*

The next stop was a surprise, at least for Sunny Flare. "I wouldn't have expected you to want to come to the bookstore."

Sunset rubs the back of her neck and smiles sheepishly. "Heh, it’s just... I really like reading, and, um… it’ll only be a minute, I promise. Then, we’ll do something fun."

"Oh, honey, please don't take it that way. To tell the truth, I like reading, too." Sunny gives Sunset a smile before perusing the shelves.

Sunset seems still somewhat unsure but, preferring not to force the issue, begins checking out the selections, too.

The truth was that she needed something to entertain herself with.

Last weekend had shown her that she had too much free time. The movies and music CDs were fine, but their entertainment did not last long enough to make them a long-term solution. And after reviewing her variety of books at home and re-reading a couple of them, at some point, she had decided that acquiring new material would be beneficial.

The day and the place seemed like a good time to do it.

Sunset looks at the books on the shelves, examining the covers and the titles, taking a couple and reading the summaries on the back. Sunny Flare does the same, but where Sunset was checking out a wide variety of genres, Sunny was focusing her attention mainly in romance novels.

Outside the bookstore, Sonata and Twilight observe both from the shop window.

"Why are they looking at books? If they were comics, I’d understand, but books?"

"What's wrong with that?"

"Books aren’t fun," Sonata barks.

"... I think they are."

"That's why you didn’t have any friends before. Sorry, but it's true."

Hurt, Twilight shuts up, looking away.

Meanwhile, both Sunset and Sunny seemed to have found what they wanted. While Sunny only grabbed one novel, Sunset has five different books, each of a different genre. Sunny raises an eyebrow with a smirk, and Sunset’s sheepish look returns.

*S*A*S*

After buying their books, both decide to take a couple of laps around the mall before stopping in a food court, finding a table as they dig in, Sunny with a slice of pizza and fries, Sunset with a salad.

"Salad, huh? You on a diet?" the lilac-haired girl asks.

"Actually, I'm vegetarian. I don't eat meat," Sunset answers.

"Oh. Social movement?"

"It's more... a cultural... custom," Sunset responds before taking a bite of her salad and averting her eyes.

"Hm, intriguing."

To the relief of the former equine, Sunny does not ask anymore and instead eats her fries, one at a time, gazing at Sunset the whole time, and Sunset follows her lead, busying herself with her salad.

At a table on the other side of the court, Twilight and Sonata continue their "mission", still wearing the coats.

"I wonder what they're talking about now," Sonata says.

"Who knows?" Twilight replies disinterestedly. "Sonata, we’ve been following them for an hour and twenty-three minutes. How much longer do we need to keep this up?"

"As long as it takes to be sure that Sunny doesn't do anything strange and to make sure that her obsessive and conservative father doesn't want to impose his old-fashioned social prejudices on them. There's nothing wrong with two girls dating!”

"... I’m beginning to understand why Sunset was afraid of you."

*S*A*S*

Sunny’s gaze is drawn to the raised voice across the room, and she notices the curiously dressed girls on the other side of the food court. She eats another fry and takes a sip of her soda before saying, "You know your friends are following us, right?"

Sunset just sighs. "I was hoping you wouldn't notice them..."

Sunny giggles. "Difficult not to."

"I'm sorry..." the equine girl says. "I don't know when they arrived—"

"Hey, don't apologize," Sunny interrupts her in a calm voice. "I think it's nice that they care about you that way."

"I don't see why they should worry..."

"Well, they don’t know me, and Crystal Prep students aren’t exactly friendly to each other. It's normal for them to worry if a stranger starts to hover around their friend."

“I suppose…"

There is a slight silence between them, giving Sunset a chance to get the courage to ask something. "Hey, Sunny Flare?"

"Yes, honey?"

"I wanted to ask you... Why are we here?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, um... Why did you ask me to come in? I mean, you called me so suddenly, and... you said you wanted me to go with you to the mall..."

Sunny keeps a soft smile while eating her fries.

Sunset tries to think about what to say. "I mean..."

Sunny gives a giggle. "It's okay, honey. I understand you're confused. In response to your question, I actually wanted to get to know you better."

"Know me?" Sunset asks, bewildered "Um, why?"

Sunny eats another fry before answering. "Hmm, how to say it?" She thinks a moment but keep smiling. "You're interesting, Sunset. You have a series of outstanding qualities."

Sunset is somewhat confused. "Umm, qualities...?"

"Intelligence, beauty, strength, you don't let others intimidate you, and from what I heard out there, you're good at music."

Sunset could not help but blush a little at the compliments. Although at the same time, she wondered where or from whom Sunny heard the part about the music.

Oblivious to Sunset's thoughts, Sunny keeps talking. "That's why I like you, Sunset. It's always good to have contacts and relationships that help you move forward."

That phrase jogs Sunset’s memory. She’d heard it before.

"You’re talking about the academic association?"

Sunset remembered when Sunny and some other students had invited her to that.

Sunny eats another fry before answering, "Well, the association is for students to help each other, but in your case, it's something different. You didn't accept our invitation, but it doesn't mean you and I can't spend time together, right?"

"Um... I guess not."

"Perfect!" exclaims Sunny with a smile. "I think this will be the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

"... Friendship..."

Sunset is somewhat restless, but Sunny does not notice. After a few seconds, Sunset relaxes, deciding to worry about it later. She continues with her salad.

*S*A*S*

After lunch, they decide to go see a movie. The mall's cinema was easy to find. Sunny walks clinging to Sunset’s arm, wearing a calm smile. Sunset stays mostly indifferent to the situation, although she does glance at the girl with curiosity from time to time.

They stop at the banners, checking out the films on display.

"What would you like to see?" Sunny asks cordially.

"Uh... I don't know," Sunset answers. "You choose. "

"Come on, honey, we both have to enjoy it. What’s the fun of hanging with friends if one of us is bored?"

"Friends..." Sunset could not help but get a little nervous at that word. "Um, yes, but... well... I don't know what we should see..."

"Well, what movies do you usually watch?"

Sunset does not answer. Instead, her mind sinks into memories...

The truth is that she could not remember ever going to a theater to see a movie because she wanted to. First, she’d only go with Flash when they were dating. Because he had invited her. And after the Fall Formal, she would go along with her friends... because they called her...

She didn’t remember much about any of those films. She only went because of Flash, and as for the girls... she went simply because she would never reject a moment with them...

"... Sunset? Honey? Sunset," Sunny says, raising her voice.

Sunset comes out of those thoughts and shakes her head clear. "What?"

"Are you okay, honey?" Sunny asks with some concern. "You seemed distant all of a sudden."

"Oh! No, I'm fine, just... It doesn't matter. Umm..." Sunset turns her eyes towards the movie banners. "How about... that dinosaur movie everyone talks about?"

"You mean 'Prehistoric World'?"

"Yeah, that. There’s been a lot of talk about it on TV and on the internet. It should be pretty good."

There is no objection from Sunny, and soon, both buy their tickets, watched by the persistent duo outside the theater.

"Aha! I knew it! This is a date after all," the blue-haired girl says.

Twilight eyes her curiously. "I know I'm going to regret it, but why do you say that now?"

"Don’t you see?" Sonata snaps. "They’re catching a movie together!"

There is silence as Twilight tries and fails to see the importance. "... Um, yeah?"

"What do you think two people do in a dark room?!"

The question is partly serious, partly sarcastic. And, again, Twilight seems to need a moment to process it. "Watch a movie?"

"No!" corrects Sonata with clear frustration. "They're going to do girlfriend things!" She turns to watch both of them already entering the viewing room. "They’re gonna kiss and fondle each other and tell each other how much they love each other."

"Or... maybe they're going to see a movie."

"You don't know anything about couples, Twi-Twi. Two people go to the movies to be alone with each other. I can't believe that Sunny Flare would take Sunset to a place like that on the first date, and Sunset... I thought that she was more decent! I know horses don’t wear clothes, but—"

Twilight stopped listening to her partner’s rambling, instead thinking about what she had seen on her own.

Sunset and Sunny had spent the whole morning together, and although it could, perhaps, be seen as a date, there was no reason to think it couldn’t only be two friends hanging out.

... Friends...

For some reason, thinking about Sunset and Sunny being friends made her feel a pressure in her chest.

Sunny Flare was quite confident with Sunset, talking to her, taking her around the place, even cuddling with her arm.

She behaved as if she and Sunset were close friends, friends who knew each other... Friends... who loved each other...

... Why did that make her feel upset?

"There is no other choice, Twi," Sonata announces, oblivious to the fact that her partner is no longer listening to her. "We can’t let Sunset make a mistake like that. We'll need an armadillo, a chess piece, and a car!"

Even if she wanted to, Twilight does not have time to ask anything, because a voice behind both of them takes them out of the moment.

"Sonata?"

Both siren and scientist turn around, meeting the two older sirens.

"Aria! Adagio!" Sonata exclaims upon seeing them. "What are you doing here?!"

Adagio responds with indifference. "We came to see Eternity Wars."

Aria looks curiously at their coats. "This is the important mission you talked about? Dressing up like a fool at the mall?"

Sonata does not answer. She seems very surprised by something. "Wait... you two... are going to see a movie? Together...?"

Both sirens raise an eyebrow.

Sonata's bangs cover her gaze as she lowers her head. Her shoulders begin to tremble "... I can't believe it... My own sisters... in a forbidden union... AND YOU DIDN’T INVITE ME?!"

The elders had nothing but confusion on their faces. Twilight on the other hand, covered her face, completely reddened by shame.

"It's not fair!" The youngest siren complains. "You've been having fun without me! What have you been doing? Is that why you always send me to bed early? Why don't you ever invite me to your playtime?!”

The elder sirens just listen disinterestedly as Sonata rambles out her complaints. Twilight, on the other hand, just pulls out her phone and dials a number. "Cadence, can you come pick me up?"

*S*A*S*

The sun is slightly past its zenith as Sunset and Sunny leave the mall.

"This has been very pleasant," Sunny says, still clinging to Sunset's arm. "I must say, I enjoyed your company today, Sunset."

"Yeah, I had fun, too," Sunset says, though her voice turns nervous. "Sorry about any of my weirdness. Sometimes, I find it hard to talk to people."

Sunny just giggles. "We must see each other again. Get to know each other better, maybe share some experiences."

"Hey, slow down," Sunset says with a slightly mocking tone. "At this rate, you'll want us to marry."

Sunny gives a more jubilant laugh, which Sunset matches. "You're very nice, Sunset. I really think we'll be good friends."

"Yeah... I think so. Maybe."

Sunset was still nervous about that word, but she still did not very well know why.

Outside of the mall grounds, Sunny gives a last goodbye, which Sunset returns, and they separate and go their own ways. Suddenly, Sunset stops, looking at the horizon as she thinks about the day.

"Friends."

Sunny Flare, a friend? It wasn’t bad, but...

Sunset looks pensive. In the end, she just sighs. "Well, we'll have to wait and see."

With that, she resumes her path.

Author's Note:

It's already late in my country, but I wanted to end this episode at once. I'm sorry it's not exciting, not very interesting but I hope it entertains you, I wanted to show Sunny a bit since I want to continue using her later.
As always, I can only thank those who give favorite, follow and comment, really encourage me every time I see a notification of any of those things.

I hope to see you in the next chapter, I love you all.

~*~*~
In the Next Episode:

Sunset opens one of the rooms, seeing that there is no one, enters slightly and looks at the windows, smiles a little when noticing the crystal blue curtains.

"perfect." speak to herself in a low voice

Twilight, with a confused look observes her from the door. "Sunset, what's wrong?"

"Come Twi. come closer." Ask Sunset at the same time that she approaching a window. "And please close the door."

Although confused, the scientist does what she asks, closing the door after entering. "um, what do you need help with?"

The former equine proceeds to close the curtain of the windows, with her hands tries to stretch it to leave it completely smooth, after that she takes a chair and places it in front. "Can you take off your jacket please?"

Twilight only confuses more, but still agrees, she takes off her school jacket leaving only the shirt underneath. "what are we doing?"

"I know it sounds strange, but ... I need to take a picture of you."

"... a picture?" repeat the word too confused.

Sunset points to the chair in front of the window. "Sit there please."

At this point Twilight could not be more confused. "A picture, but that ... why?"

Sunset looks at the ground, not knowing how to respond. "is…"