• Published 15th Dec 2017
  • 14,078 Views, 779 Comments

Sunset Among Shadows - RedPegasus



Because of Anon-A-Miss Sunset is abandoned by everyone, so she decides to start a new life, among shadows, she will seek happiness, but what will happen with the magic of friendship?

  • ...
47
 779
 14,078

Storm of Truths

Author's Note:

I thank Wysteria who helped me with some mistakes for this chapter, thank you very much! :raritystarry:

...

also, I think is good time to remember to everyone, I did not read the comic of Anon-A-Miss, so I do not know the story correctly, do not be surprised if there are things that do not agree with the comic, ok? Thank you :raritywink:

Scootaloo sits waiting on the stairs of the school. After what seems like hours, she sees Rarity arrive with Sweetie Belle in tow. She stands up and approaches, watching the older girl say goodbye to her little sister with a hug before reentering the school, waving a greeting to Scootaloo as she passed.

The little athlete slows to a stop, her concern growing as she beheld the state of her friend. "Sweetie Belle..."

"Hi, Scoots..." Sweetie Belle’s voice reveals her sorrow. Scootaloo feels a pressure in her chest. Not knowing what to say or what to do, she does the only thing that occurs to her: She hugs her friend in an attempt to calm her down.

"It's okay, Sweetie. It's okay," she says.

Sweetie Belle returns the gesture as a small sob escapes her. "I feel awful, Scoots..."

"We'll fix it."

"How?" Sweetie responds, sniffling.

Scootaloo hesitates a moment but tries to sound confident. "We’ll find a way. We’re Crusaders! We can do anything!"

Both sit again on the steps of the entrance, waiting for their leader. It's not long before they see her arrive in the company of her older sister.

Applejack looks worriedly to her little sister, who only looks at the ground, her face devoid of any emotion. Both Sweetie and Scootaloo approach and embrace their friend and leader. Applejack, despite the negative emotions, opts to leave them be and enters the school.

Sweetie is the first to speak, very concerned. "Apple Bloom, are you... okay?"

Apple Bloom just nods in silence. The expression on her face scares both of them. Her eyes lack any brightness, and her countenance is serious, without any sign of any emotion. It is as if she is only present physically, not mentally.

Scootaloo gathers her courage and tries to help. "Come on, Apple Bloom, we can fix this. We just have to work together, right?"

The farmgirl just nods, while Sweetie looks at the ground, and Scootaloo's spirits fall again.

*S*A*S*

The morning passes at school. In their practice room, the Rainbooms are doing... nothing...

"Come on!" suddenly exclaims Rainbow. "Didn’t we come here to practice?"

Applejack lets out a whimper before answering, "For what? We can't make our instruments sound good."

"But... But...! Argh!" although she tries, the multicolored girl can't argue anything.

The frustration is palpable. Even Pinkie is out of character, lying on the floor with arms and legs outstretched, her face just reflecting laziness.

Fluttershy keeps a deep silence. When she turns, she notes the anguished look of her dressmaker friend.

"R-Rarity? Um, are you okay?"

Rarity takes a couple of seconds to realize that her friend is talking to her. "Huh? Ah, yes, I... I'm fine"

Rainbow, still frustrated, looks at the dressmaker. "What’s wrong now, Rares?"

Doubtful and worried, Rarity says, "I'm sorry, girls. I'm just worried about Sweetie Belle."

"Oh, goodness," says Fluttershy. "Is something wrong?"

"She is sick to her stomach. She says her stomach hurts, and she has been eating very little for days. I want to take her to see someone to check her this afternoon."

Applejack can't help but relate. "Ah'm worried about Apple Bloom, m’self. She’s been actin’ mighty strange, lately."

Rainbow is curious. "Are they both sick? I'll have to tell Scoots to be careful not to catch it."

There was not much talk after that. None seemed to have the courage to talk. Though they all thought the same thing.

Things were not going well around them, lately...

*S*A*S*

Hard as they tried, neither the Rainbooms nor the Crusaders could be very attentive that day.

Rarity and Applejack worried about their own sisters.

Rainbow still thought about the problem in the band, and after listening to her friends, she was worried that something could happen to Scootaloo.

Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie had not been alright since a long time ago.

As for the Crusaders... No matter what they wanted, the load had only gotten heavier every hour.

The last bell rings. The school day is over.

"Hey, girls, wanna come to my place?" Scootaloo offers her friends after class dismisses. "We can play video games. I have the new King of Duty."

Sweetie still looks very dismayed. "I'm sorry, Scoots, but Rarity’s taking me to the doctor."

"To the doctor... Oh..." Although hurt and worried, Scootaloo tries to stay calm. "Uh, what about you, Apple Bloom?"

"Ah don't feel like video games, Scootaloo..."

"Oh…"

All the students had already left the room. They are left sitting alone inside.

"Come on, girls, we have to cheer up!"

Scootaloo’s declaration is once again in vain; her friends do not react.

“Girls, come on. We have to figure this out," Scootaloo tries once more, albeit weakly.

Sweetie Belle looks up. "How? If we tell the truth, everyone will hate us."

"We don't have to tell the truth!" The little athlete tries to think. "We can... I know! We'll send a letter to Principal Celestia! Let it be from Anon-A-Miss, and we'll say it wasn’t Sunset, and we're sorry, but we won’t say our names."

Sweetie was skeptical. "I don't know, Scoots. You think it’ll work?"

"Of course, it will!" Scootaloo affirms, convinced. "Right, Apple Bloom?"

The leader of the bunch seems to think for a moment and opens her mouth to speak, only to freeze when she glances at the door.

There she is, standing right outside the door. Sunset... staring at her... with those eyes...

Apple Bloom’s entire body trembles while her face fills with fear.

"A-Apple Bloom?"

Both Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle are frightened when they see the change of attitude of their leader.

Apple Bloom can’t hear them. Those eyes keep watching her. That cold expression. Those spiteful eyes. It tortures her.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Her shout is punctuated by her chair hitting the floor as she jumps to her feet, scaring her friends.

"JUST LEAVE ME ALONE! WHAT DO YOU WANT?!"

Sweetie and Scootaloo hug each other, scared to see Apple Bloom yelling at nothing.

"AH'M SORRY, OKAY?! AH DIDN’T WANT ALL THE SCHOOL TO HATE YOU! AH DIDN’T WANT YOU TO BE EXPELLED!" she continues to yell, always looking at the door, ignoring the confusion and fear it causes her two friends.

"Ah didn’t want this! Ah didn't want... AH'M SORRY!"

The girl falls on her knees. Finally, her friends approach her and shake her slightly.

"Apple Bloom!" exclaims Scootaloo. "Apple Bloom, calm down!"

Sweetie does the same. "Bloomie! Please, snap out of it!" Apple Bloom’s gaze remains locked on the door for a moment, but finally, the call of her friends makes her react, and she blinks a few times. "Apple Bloom?"

There is no answer. The little Apple looks at her hands, then at her friends. They look at her, worried and afraid.

There is silence, but before anyone says anything, Apple Bloom gets up and runs out of the room. Her friends, scared and worried, follow her.

Almost no one is in the corridors, everyone having left for the day, so nothing interrupts her in her run. Her tears blur her vision, but she manages to get to the exit of the school.

The Rainbooms are gathered near the school statue. Applejack notices her little sister running up to them.

"Apple Bloom! There you are. What took you so—"

Before she can finish her question, the little girl hugs her and starts screaming and crying.

"Ah did it! It wasn’t Sunset! It's my fault!"

Both Sweetie and Scootaloo arrive at the moment Applejack responds, "Apple Bloom, what are you—"

"AH’M ANON-A-MISS!"

Time suddenly froze. There were no sounds, no movements. Just the silence and the confused and perplexed looks of everyone present. In the silence, Apple Bloom could feel her, and those eyes, observing her from behind.

"AH DID IT! AH STOLE SUNSET’S PHONE! AH PUBLISHED THOSE PHOTOS! AH OPENED THE ACCOUNT! Ah did it because Ah was jealous of the time y’all spent with her! Ah didn’t want the school to hate her! Ah didn’t want her to be expelled! Ah’m sorry! AH'M SORRY!"

With each word, her grip on her sister and her crying become stronger and stronger.

Finally, she felt it leave. That presence, those eyes, vanish into thin air, nothing more than a mere memory. A phantom that never really existed.

None of the older girls know what to do or what to think.

Sweetie Belle felt her eyes shed tears. Her legs fail, and she ends up on her knees on the ground, crying in despair.

Rarity looks at her sister, aghast. "Sweetie...?"

Sweetie can only look at the ground. "I... I... I didn’t want this! I'm sorry, Sunset! I'm sorry..." Sweetie’s confession soon devolves into a torrent of tears and disconsolate cries.

Scootaloo tries to stay strong, but the sight of her friends crying is more than she can take. She covers her face and clenches her teeth to force herself to stay quiet, but her tears make her pain evident.

The crying of the three girls seems to echo in the empty campus.

The five friends remain immobile, unable to react, unable to make sense of what they are seeing.

*S*A*S*

It is not easy to be a mature and responsible woman.

It is not easy to be the principal of a school.

It is not easy... to be Celestia.

Silence governs the place, only broken by the quiet crying of the three girls standing in front of the principal's desk.

The woman is sitting, hands clasped, head down, eyes closed, nothing but seriousness on her face.

Her sister is standing at her side, her face neutral as she watches the three younger girls and the girls who accompanied them here.

As for the five friends, they cannot decide on a single emotion. There is confusion, regret, guilt, despair, so many emotions expressed at the same time, interspersed from one face to another.

None of the little girls dare to look up, and their tears just keep falling.

Celestia remains in her position for what seems like hours. Finally, she opens her eyes and looks at the progenitors of the entire fiasco.

"So, what made you three confess?"

Apple Bloom doesn’t speak, too afraid to reveal what she saw. Sweetie doesn’t speak, feeling too sick to open her mouth without vomiting. Scootaloo decides to be strong for all three.

"We couldn’t stand the guilt," she says, sniffing. If the answer surprised Celestia, her face does not let Scootaloo see it. "We didn’t want it to end like this... Just..." Nobody says anything. All are waiting to hear the whole story. "Seeing Sunset being hated... It made us feel awful. We didn’t want things to go that far. And then... when you kicked her out... we couldn’t…"

Scootaloo's sentence is broken by her little cry.

The Rainbooms seem to break piece by piece. Fluttershy covers her face, whispering words in a voice so soft that no one is able to hear her. Pinkie hugs herself, shaking as her tears fall. Rarity covers her mouth, her makeup having long since stained her face from her tears. Applejack is speechless, her face unable to process any emotion beyond shock. Rainbow looks in any direction other than her friends or the culprits, her teeth and fists clenched with such force that they could break at any moment.

The adults continue with their neutral and cold faces. Luna looks at her older sister, waiting for her to say something, knowing that this is a situation where they both must be in sync.

Celestia makes an inhuman effort to stay calm but feels her whole body burn with anger. Although her face does not reflect any emotion, inside, she just wants to scream, grab whatever is at hand and break it into pieces.

Celestia wanted to take these girls and give them a well-deserved punishment. She did not care that they were little girls, she did not care that they were crying. She just wanted to do something to release her tension.

What she would not give to be their mother right now, to have the privilege, the right, the freedom to give these three—

Celestia breathes deeply. Inhale... Exhale...

She could not. No matter how much she wanted to, it was not her place. These girls had destroyed her school. They had hurt everyone, everyone in it, but she could not punish them, not like that.

She had to cover her emotions, act like the mature woman she is.

And then, she would find a secluded place to let off her steam.

"You are wrong in one thing: Sunset Shimmer was not expelled," Celestia finally says after calming down enough.

Celestia did not know why she wanted to clarify that fact; it was not an issue of importance for this situation. But, for some reason, she felt that she should say it.

The gazes of everyone in the room are now on the principal.

"Sunset was not expelled," said the Principal. "She personally asked me to transfer her."

There was a collective gasp from everyone in the room sans the adults.

"It seems she got tired of being attacked, and she preferred to leave."

The place somehow feels even more depressing. Celestia is silent after that. Luna, seeing that her sister’s emotions are starting to rise again, takes the floor.

"So, you three created the ‘Anon-A-Miss’ account. You realize that you hurt not just Sunset but the entire school with your stunt, yes?"

There is no answer. If it were possible, the three girls would have shrunk more than they already have.

"There are so many questions that I do not know where to start.” The vice principal looks at the older girls. "And all of you, do you have something to say?"

The five are surprised to see themselves as the center of attention. Eventually, one speaks.

"Apple Bloom... why?" Applejack asks finally, looking at her sister.

The little girl does not dare to turn around. She trembles as her voice is interrupted by her sniffling. "Ah was jealous. You spent so much time with Sunset and so little with me. Ah wanted... Ah just wanted to have ya back."

Apple Bloom did not know what else to say. It was all the truth. There were no more excuses or reasons.

Applejack holds her head and resists the desire to scream, unable to believe what she hears.

Rarity also looks at her sister and tries to keep her voice steady. "Sweetie Belle... don't tell me..."

Rarity's little sister hides her head, but she nods to Rarity’s unasked question. Rarity falls to her knees and covers her face, beginning to cry.

Rainbow takes a step forward and looks at the girl whom she has come to call "sister" despite not having the same blood.

"Jealousy? That's it? You did that... because of jealousy?"

Scootaloo, unlike her friends, turns to see the girl she calls her older sister, knowing that keeping her back turned would only make the situation worse, if that were even possible.

"What the hell were you jealous of?!" Rainbow demands.

Scootaloo trembles; seeing Rainbow so angry terrifies her. "You... You spent all of your time with Sunset. You don’t even help me with my practices anymore... I—"

"AND THAT’S AN EXCUSE TO SPREAD EVERYONE’S SECRETS?"

The three little girls are terrified by the screams. “Rainbow Dash!” Luna snapped.

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID TO US? NO ONE RESPECTS US ANYMORE! WE’RE THE LAUGHINGSTOCK OF THE WHOLE SCHOOL!"

Scootaloo backs away, the fear evident in her face. Her friends stay by her side.

"You hurt Sunset! You hurt everyone! BECAUSE YOU WERE JEALOUS?"

Rainbow's fists trembled. Her hands start bleeding. Even her friends start to get worried, especially for the safety of the girls.

Applejack is the first to face the athlete and raise her hands to her. "Rainbow, please, calm down."

Rarity also decides to defend her little sister and stands together with Applejack. "Rainbow, please. I know you're upset, but think before you do anything crazy."

Rainbow does not seem to listen to them, or even to hear them. There is only blind fury in her eyes.

Rainbow Dash’s mind couldn’t stop spinning. The images of what she had done to her equine friend, the echo of everything she had said to her, and the suffering they brought upon her all ricocheted throughout her head, repeating incessantly, and she could see nothing but red..

And it was all because of three young girls... all because they were jealous...

Fluttershy takes Rainbow by the arm. "Rainbow... please, don't be like this..."

Pinkie stands behind Applejack and Rarity and looks with desperation at her enraged friend. "Dashie, please... Let's not hurt any more people..."

Rainbow trembles. Her eyes drop tears of frustration and despair.

Scootaloo, still very afraid, takes a couple of steps toward her and looks into her eyes. "Rainbow..."

Both sisters looked at each other, one with regret, guilt, and fear, the other with regret and guilt, as well, mixed with anger. Anger towards her sister... or maybe... towards herself?

Finally, she explodes. With a powerful scream, Rainbow charges toward Scootaloo. Scootaloo covers herself and waits for her punishment.

But the punishment does not come. The athlete passes beyond the three girls and punches the wall hard.

All eyes are on Rainbow as she screams and hits the wall blow after blow with such force that the paint and lime begin to fall in soft dust.

Nobody says anything. Nobody reacts or tries to stop it. Not her friends, not the principals, all preferring that Rainbow hit the wall rather than the three girls.

After a minute of constant aggression, Rainbow stops her attack. A small pile of dust and a few drops of blood are on the ground at her feet.

Celestia speaks to her sister in a calm voice. "Luna, please see if Nurse Redheart is still in the infirmary."

Luna does not object and withdraws to fulfill the request as Celestia watches the four girls approach her friend and help her.

Rainbow's hands are covered in bruises and still-bleeding cuts. Her face is free of all anger and now shows only anguish.

Celestia takes a few seconds to think about her next actions. She stands up, gaining everyone's attention, walks around her desk, and looks at the five girls.

"Taking into account the suddenness of these events, I think it is better that we all retire. There is a lot to process."

Despite everyone’s surprise, none of them object. Certainly, a break would be good for them.

The leader of the Crusaders takes a fearful step towards the principal.

"P-Principal Celestia..." Apple Bloom gains a neutral gaze from the woman. "What... What's gonna happen to us?"

"Are you gonna expel us?" Scootaloo asks, equally scared.

The older girls observe the principal, as afraid of her decision as the Crusaders.

The principal remains silent, seeming to think about what to say.

"I'm going to make that decision tomorrow,” Celestia finally says. “For now, you're free to leave. Take Rainbow to the nurse. I’ll see you tomorrow... after school."

A strange mixture of relief and fear envelops the whole room.

Once again, there is no objection. Fluttershy is the first to leave, taking Rainbow. Applejack and Rarity take their sisters and Scootaloo out of the room. Pinkie is the last to leave, giving the principal a small gesture of thanks as she closes the door.

Finding herself alone, and after waiting a few minutes to make sure they will not return, Celestia finally allows herself to take the first thing she has on hand, in this case the microphone on her desk, and throw it furiously against the wall.

*S*A*S*

After Nurse Redheart treated Rainbow's wounds and bandaged her, the vice principal escorted everyone to the doors of the school. The young girls thank her as they leave.

Once they all reach the sidewalk, they stop walking. The two groups look at each other. The older five show no emotion but pain, worry, or anger.

The three little ones still look at them with constant fear, unsure of what to do now.

Apple Bloom takes a small step towards her older sister. "Applejack?" The farmer looks at her younger sister, letting her anger known with her glare. The little girl looks towards the ground, her eyes threatening to release tears again. "Do you hate me?"

There is silence while the older sister looks at the younger. Several sobs escape the minor.

Applejack kneels to look at her sister at eye level. "Ah'm angry. Very angry. Ya can’t imagine how angry Ah am with ya right now." Although it was not a scream, her tone was stern and grave. "But even though it’ll take me a long time to forgive ya for this, you’re still my little sister, and nothing’ll change that. So, no, Ah don’t hate ya."

The little girl sobs even harder, though there is visible relief in her posture. The farmer wraps her in a hug that makes the minor cry on her shoulder, taking refuge in her embrace.

Sweetie Belle looks guiltily at her sister. "Rarity?"

The dressmaker looks at her little sister and soon embraces her, too. "The same can be said for myself, Sweetie. Nothing will make you stop being my little sister, although when we get home, we will have a long talk." Her slight scolding is accompanied by her caressing Sweetie’s hair, and the little girl, too, releases small sobs while hiding in her sister's arms.

It is Scootaloo's turn to look at her sister figure. "Rainbow?"

The older athlete seems unsure of how to answer. She closes her eyes and turns her head. Hurt, Scootaloo lowers her head, ready to cry, but stops when she feels the hand of her hero and idol caressing her hair.

"I don't hate you Scoots... No more than I hate myself..."

It's no secret that Rainbow was terrible at expressing her feelings. So, an answer like that was more than satisfactory for Scootaloo.

"Come on, I'll take you home."

She does not wait for an answer, just taking her little sister by the hand.

Fluttershy takes Rainbow's other hand, "I’ll accompany you two."

Rarity and Applejack also take their sisters

"let's go home, Sweetie."

"C'mon, Apple Bloom."

After a farewell and a few hugs, the girls separate. Fluttershy accompanies Rainbow and Scootaloo, while Applejack and Rarity, along with their sisters, go their own way.

Pinkie stands alone in that spot, thinking of her friends and their little sisters. Though still hurt, she appreciates that nothing worse happened, and more than anything, she appreciates that her friends can still love their sisters.

Still, now she felt a little lonely...

She sighs, ready to walk home alone. Then, she sees her older sister Maud approaching the school. Pinkie is a little surprised but not unhappy. Maud looks at her, her face expressionless.

"You were late, and you didn’t answer your phone. I got worried."

Pinkie does nothing but sob and run to hug her sister tightly.

After so much trouble, a little sisterly love was just what Pinkie needed. And despite the lack of emotion in her face, Maud was happy to give it to her.

The eldest of the Pies holds the younger one with one arm and takes her home.

Sisters are something special, indeed.

Soon, the place is empty. No students, no teachers, only the light of the sunset bathing the surroundings. Therefore, there is no one to witness the strange waves coming from the base of the statue.